• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official AMIGA "Rosetinted" Thread

Gowans

The Official
265px-Amiga_Logo.jpg
"RoseTinted" Thread

Dedicated to the personal computer (massive in the UK) that was used for many hours of great gaming.

300px-Leander_Amiga500.jpg

So lets look back at this great machine that gave use games like:

Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Cool Spot, Zool, Moonstone, James Pond, The Chaos Engine, Worms, Shadow of the Beast, Fade to Black, Flashback, Alien Breed, Synicate, Monkey Island and the list goes on

Amiga_kick34.5_askforwb1.3.png

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There's absolutely nothing rosetinted about Amiga nostalgia. Sheer unadulterated awesome. And that's coming from an Atari ST fanboy.

Gowans

lol yeah, thouse were the days, the Atari and Amiga up head to head while the PC & Apple were the special needs kids in the class and consoles were the new wierd forign kid that nobody wanted to be friends with.

Eric_S

Plenty of absolutaly fantastic games for both the A500 and the A1200. Man how I loved (still do) the pinball games Digital illusions put out on the Amiga, Turiccan, the music in Shadow of The Beast, the greatness that is Cannon Fodder, Lemmings.

Why did C= have to be run by monkeys, why? :(

Mifune

Mehmber
I always wanted an Amiga. My family had an Apple IIGS, which was almost the next best thing...until Apple pulled the plug.

pr0cs

It was difficult to be an Amiga fan in North America, it was like no-mans land.
I still have 4-5 Amiga rom kernel manuals sitting in a box somewhere.
I can't help but wonder what computing and gaming would have been like if Commodore would have marketted the machine properly and not abandoned it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dave Haynie's film recorded on the day Commodore declared bankruptcy is essential viewing for anyone into the Amiga:

dvb.jpg

Such a clever bunch of people ****ed over by the management. The sight of a nearly complete AAA chipset lying on a desk in the R&D department was heartbreaking!

Gowans007 said:
Shadow of the Beast:
Shadowofthebeast.jpg

great days

Such amazing art.

Then again I can't talk because the only Amiga games I'm familiar with are the ones that got Genesis ports.

Killing Game Show aka Fatal Rewind
Leander aka Galahad
etc

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
StormwatchGRE said:
...and the best videogame of all time.....TURRICAN 2
stephen%20colbert%20steven%20colbert.jpg

Funny to see this particular thread today...I pulled out an old INFO magazine from 1989 to read on the train to work today. Interesting to look back at the beginnings of IBM's encroachment on the Amiga gaming space from this perspective.

And OMG OMG Mac users can now use desktop publishing! Never mind the Amiga had that available for years previous. Yes I'm still bitter.

Gav

Adored my Amiga.
Zool, James Pond, Pushover, Sensible Soccer, Superfrog, Fire & Ice, Lotus II, Lemmings

Good times.

I was a young engineer when the Amiga came out and I thought it would sell well since it was the first PC with a pre-empting multi-tasking operating system . . . a REAL OS. Not some single thread "OS" like the Mac & PC had . . . those were more like libraries, not an OS.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
I went from a Atari 800xl to an Amiga 500 and was floored when I first used it. Such a great computer to use. All the mags(CU Amiga, Amiga Power, Amiga Format) with the demos and apps, great games, killer monitor w/ stereo sound. To bad most of my games don't work anymore, although both computers(500&1200) still work fine. Still manage to play Dungeon Master every couple of years. Last game I played on it was Night Shift from Lucas Arts and Sleepwalker from Ocean.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
cedric69 said:
Best computing hardware ever. To think it was like it was in 1985... so ahead of its times, really.

Yeah, the original Amiga chipset was basically perfect. And way, way ahead of it's time. The copper was a gift from God. You could do so many tricks with the way it drew the screen.

I loved the Amiga. The whole development community/demo scene around then was such a good time to be involved in games.

Gowans

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Those ST versus Amiga wars really showed up console wars today.

even the same back compatible issues, I remeber upgrading to the 1200 for the graphics and Delux Paint WOW! but then some games wouldn't run, remember the 500 plus or 500? the one without the numpad, I remember everyone of my mates had one amiga or another.

pswii60

The Amiga was the best part of my gaming life. I spent so much time playing on that machine. I was a tad LTTP as I got it AFTER my Genesis.

I had the Amiga 1200, which meant a lot of the older games were incompatible.

I loved Pinball Dreams, Zool, Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings, Putty, etc.

But also, the amazing PD scene because homebrew was so god damn awesome. Not just for the content but also because stuff like AMOS make the Amiga so easy to make your own games for. I spent hours of every day making stuff back then.

Gowans

pswii60 said:
... stuff like AMOS make the Amiga so easy to make your own games for.....

Ahh AMOS I got that with a Amiga Magasine & faffed on chaining sprites to make my own platformer, haha the hours spent messing around. Yeah the Amiga was the thing that got me into tech, gaming and set me on the path to my eductaion and now career in Tech development.

What a coincidence, I just mentioned playing Techno Cop on my Amiga in that goriest game thread...

My 5th grade teacher talked my parents into getting me an Amiga back in the day, and looking back at it, I how realize how big of a gamer he was. What memories I had with my Amiga... It Came From the Desert, Shadow of the Beast, Lemmings, Rick Dangerous, Night Shift, Back to the Future Part II... good times.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
The Amiga 4000 with a Video Toaster connected was one of the most awe-inspiring things that I have ever seen.

- It played absolutely amazing games.
- It was a 3D rendering powerhouse. Most of the pre-AVID Babylon 5 3D work was done on Amigas.
- True multi-tasking OS.
- Broadcast quality NTSC, non-linear video editing. You productions were limited by your camera, and your imagination.
- Did I mention the absolutely amazing games?

Gowans

OMG!!! Xzior!!!! you got some LEDGEND GAMES THERE!!!!

Chaos Engine, Alien Breed, ALL of them man, Lotus i spent ages on Jag XJ220 was another big time killer, you could make your own tracks and then belt it round them, so good!

Gav

I just went youtubing for some of my favourite games.

I forgot how FRICKIN AMAZING the music was in Lotus Challenge 2. And how quick Superfrog was.

Zool is still amazing :lol

gameboya

Oh yes! Amiga is the pinnacle of gaming greatness. Soooo many genere's were created on the Amiga.

Some AWSOME Amiga games;

Dune II (first RTS)
Turrican series (II is the best)
Silkworm
Lotus Turbo series
Twin World (rare but phoenominal game)
Agony
Flashback
Another World
Syndacite
Rainbow Islands
GODS
Stunt Car Racer

The list goes on forever and the Amiga goes down as the best gaming computer ever created. Not even current PC games can touch the amount of awsomeness that the Amiga provided.

Gowans

its wierd how much retro love the consoles get but the Amiga gets hardly a mention, glad this threads showing the love that is deserved.

Fave Amiga Memorys anyone?

mines playing cannon foder and then being guted when one of my guys I've had since the strat and didnt die droped. The little funeral and gravestone bit at the end of the level was great. "Wars Never been so much fun!"

Top Bottom