• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

xJavonta

Banned
Would not recommend that, at all. Steam Controller might be your best bet, but a normal gamepad will simply make you rage against M/KB users. Believe me, personal experience here. God I need that Steam Controller . . .

I play CoD Blops 2 fine with my DualShock 4 on Steam, if I were to use my M/KB at my desk I'd obviously play better but most days I just like to kick it on my couch and play games on my TV

Dlacy13g

Gears, Uncharted, Left4Dead all examples of FANTASTIC sub 6v6 games. And if I am not mistaken isnt Destiny limited to 4 players in a squad? Is that now horrible?

Fantasmo

It's a different experience though right? You can understand that some people might prefer one over the other?

Sure, of course. but when I play football... I don't expect basketball or volleyball.. I guess!
I'm not sure how to take your statement. Why would anyone expect Respawn to put out a large player game?
Their secret sauce is in small player counts with tons of chaos.

You mean to tell me expectations were higher? That makes no sense at all.

DocSeuss

I made my peace with this not being single-player (which I really feel, if it were a systems-driven experience, would be a pretty great step forward for shooters--the first since FEAR).

Any plans for a Steam version of Titanfall like other EA Partners releases?

Thanks for taking your personal time to answer questions in this, admittedly garbage, thread.

This is what I want to know. I'm assuming that EA's trying to keep it on the down-low 'cause they want as many pre-orders via Origin, and it'll pop up on Steam on launch day. Would seem kinda weird for Valve to sell a Source license and not ask for a Steam version.

I REALLY would prefer to buy this on Steam, given how unstable Origin is on a frequent basis. At this rate, it's either Steam or wait for a really good sale on Origin.

Sneds

Sure, then play what you prefer. Not every game has to appeal to every gamer. You want a big experience? Play one of the many many many games that offer that.

Sure but when I play football... I don't expect basketball or volleyball.. I guess!

Yep. But some people were under the impression that Titanfall was a 'big experience' and so are a bit disappointed.

TheD

The Detective
There has been a TON of debate back and forth in the studio over the years about "ideal" player counts. Can I ask you something? What is it about larger player counts that you like vs smaller? Is it the feeling of a large war? Is it something like interactions per minute? Is it high target count? Is it a general "intensity level"? Potentially higher opportunity for random occurrences of crazy stuff happening?

Bigger battles are more intense and varied.
I do not feel that having lots of AI instead of players is going to be as fun.
The challenge of MP games is the skill of the other players vs you (and a lot of the reason people MP instead of SP) and I think having so many AIs running around the place is just going to dilute the challenge.

Exactly. The level of disrespect is hilarious. People are pissing in Respawns coffee and upset because they say cut it out. It seems like some people are still holding the drm thing against MS and taking their vengeance out on anything relative to xb1.

Respect has to be earned and wow at that last line.

Nags

Banned
I think you already made up your mind, but whatever.

I'm still getting peer-pressured by some friends I play BF4 with. Seriously though, ease up. Not sure why this means so much to you. You aren't getting paid or securing more sales for this game.

Wasn't Titanfall supposed to have large sprawling maps? That doesn't really should like something were 6v6 is the ideal player count. Low player count works for games like Gears or TLoU where the action is slow and deliberate.

njean777

The greatest I've played is Gears of War. Also 4 vs 4.

The people bitching about this probably haven't played any videogames in years. Unless you count Neogaf.

I don't think that is completely relatable to an fps though. A 3rd person game is a whole different beast. I agree 6v6 is not a problem, just your example isn't the best. COD right now I believe is 6v6 on ghosts and I have no problem at all with that. I do not know why people think a huge amount of players instantly = fun.

Grief.exe

Are you serious? AI is a key part in the gamemode. You don't see NaVi playing against Alliance+AI partners do you?

What a stupid thing to say. AI has nothing to do with the competitive side of Dota and LOL thats all for practice

/FACEPALM

You are dreaming if you think this will take off in a competitive aspect with AI enemies.

He is referring to the creeps, ancient spawns, Rosh, etc

Daingurse

I play CoD Blops 2 fine with my DualShock 4 on Steam, if I were to use my M/KB at my desk I'd obviously play better but most days I just like to kick it on my couch and play games on my TV

I'm not competitive with a gamepad against M/KB users. Would love to play BF4 with my 360 controller in-bed, but it just ain't worth it to me, absolutely infuriating at times. Glad you get some enjoyment playing with a pad.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
6 v 6 is too much. I was hoping for 4 vs 4.

Keep it intimate, cozy and organized. With 12 players on the screen, I won't know what's going on. It's going to be like Battlefield with 64 players where you just die randomly because there are 300 snipers covering every inch of the map.
Yes, I realize my math is wrong. Hyperbole baby!

I hope Respawn know what they're doing. Just because they made hit game after hit game doesn't mean...oh wait..nevermind.

Fantasmo

Yep. But some people were under the impression that Titanfall was a 'big experience' and so are a bit disappointed.
I edited:

Sure, of course. but when I play football... I don't expect basketball or volleyball.. I guess!
I'm not sure how to take your statement. Why would anyone expect Respawn to put out a large player game?

noobasuar

Banned
I don't think that is completely relatable to an fps though. A 3rd person game is a whole different beast. I agree 6v6 is not a problem, just your example isn't the best. COD right now I believe is 6v6 on ghosts and I have no problem at all with that. I do not know why people think a huge amount of players instantly = fun.

Maybe it wasn't the best example but I'm with you all the way on what you're saying in your post. I think this thread just has to be filled with a bunch of people that don't play competitive games just trying to drive by troll with their stupidity. At least I hope thats what it is.

Grief.exe

Any plans for a Steam version of Titanfall like other EA Partners releases?

Thanks for taking your personal time to answer questions in this, admittedly garbage, thread.

This is what I want to know. I'm assuming that EA's trying to keep it on the down-low 'cause they want as many pre-orders via Origin, and it'll pop up on Steam on launch day. Would seem kinda weird for Valve to sell a Source license and not ask for a Steam version.

I REALLY would prefer to buy this on Steam, given how unstable Origin is on a frequent basis. At this rate, it's either Steam or wait for a really good sale on Origin.

When Valve licensed the engine, EA hadn't yet split off and forced the Origin client.

Who knows how this effected Respawn's contract since that hadn't happened yet either.

I'm not competitive with a gamepad against M/KB users. Would love to play BF4 with my 360 controller in-bed, but it just ain't worth it to me, absolutely infuriating at times. Glad you get some enjoyment playing with a pad.

BF4 is infuriating to play no matter your control style.

Sneds

I edited:

People didn't realise that some of the 'players' running around in trailers were AI. I can understand why someone might be misled by that.

Kalnos

Banned
Are you serious? AI is a key part in the gamemode. You don't see NaVi playing against Alliance+AI partners do you?

What a stupid thing to say. AI has nothing to do with the competitive side of Dota and LOL thats all for practice

/FACEPALM

You are dreaming if you think this will take off in a competitive aspect with AI enemies.

From Edge:

Respawn rejects the word ‘bot’ for its AI units, but like all bots, Titanfall’s grunts are terrible in concept – a legion of semi-coordinated goons – except here, they work so well that Titanfall wouldn’t be Titanfall without them. “They’re not bots,” says McCoy. “They’re not meant as a human replacement. They’re a different class of people. Pilots are these super-awesome soldiers that have the gear to do double jumps, the weapons to take down Titans, but the AI are the low-level guys that are always on the ground – they’re not double-jumping and they’re really weak, but the purpose they serve design-wise is multifaceted. They show new players where to go. And once they start fighting, they’re usually fighting other AI because all the experienced players are fighting on walls and rooftops. New players start getting kills on AI, when usually in multiplayer games they’re getting completely whacked.”

That's the definition I understand, which describes them essentially as creeps which wander to a set point and battle the opposing AI. Useful for guiding new players and creating a flow to the game while being fodder to experienced players.

I actually agree that the game probably won't become 'competitive' but I believe that the more likely reason will be the probable frequent installments in the franchise, rather than AI.

No need to be a cunt.

Sneds

Maybe it wasn't the best example but I'm with you all the way on what you're saying in your post. I think this thread just has to be filled with a bunch of people that don't play competitive games just trying to drive by troll with their stupidity. At least I hope thats what it is.

There are lots of competitive FPS games with player counts much higher than 12 - Battlefield, TF2 and CS immediately spring to mind. No need for the stupidity comments.

sonicmj1

Part of the appeal of dropping into a large server is coming up against the unknown. Will someone smash my team? Will my team smash theirs? Will it be a constant tug of war? These are all things that are better answered when there are more actual people to enjoy the experience with. This is a shooter after all. That's the appeal of high counts, to me. And the games that do it right do it very well. People want to use 64 player TDM as a knock against high count games, and that's just not correct. But there are people who enjoy that sort of thing, and those games give them that option.

Are they better answered, or are they just answered differently?

When your team goes up against an unknown team, the outcome will always be in doubt, and unique things can happen. There are a lot of things that can determine the potential variance. Each match in Dota 2, for example, usually feels unique despite being 5 v 5, because there are a lot of different heroes and abilities that can come up in a match.

6 v 6 means you lose a certain sense of large-scale cooperation that a Battlefield or Planetside might provide, but I think the idea is that the AI and mechs create enough chaos that lots of unique moments can still happen in any given match.

If it's not for you, though, it's not for you.

/FACEPALM

Who do you think controls those creeps that walk down all the lanes every 30 seconds?

He's not talking about botmatches. The AI creeps or jungle units in Dota and LoL are like Titanfall's bots in that they supplement the match, but aren't intended to be substitutes for actual players.

CryptiK

Who do you think controls those creeps that walk down all the lanes every 30 seconds?

He's not talking about botmatches.

He is referring to the creeps, ancient spawns, Rosh, etc
There is absolutely no comparison.. none of the creeps are "smart" they are on a pre-defined line in each lane. The AI partners in Titanfall would do more to effect the game. Creeps in dota just run in a pre-defined path into towers over and over again

Well, not saying that this is everybody, but there are going to be people out there who went 360 last gen, made a kneejerk reaction to follow everybody else they know on the internet and in person to switch to Playstation, then realize after DRM reversal that they may have made a mistake. Honestly, if you use Reddit as a case study, you'd find that E3 was when most anti-MS posts got the most support, then it kind of lulled down until the DRM reversal, when people try to justify switching over by posting and upvoting things about lower powered X1 and higher price, etc. Even now I know people who went PS4 and are really anti-X1 but struggle to explain why they went PS4 in the first place, especially when they could afford either or didn't really care about graphics in the past.

Now, I'm not saying the X1 doesn't have faults in higher price and less power, but there definitely are people who normally wouldn't care about that but suddenly do, because they suddenly realized they preordered a console that had a brand they never supported before and on top of it didn't have that much compelling to offer at launch.

Edit: Personally, if each console had been on the same playing field, same price, same specs, no DRM stuff, etc., I think both consoles would have 4 million sales just from supporters and their first Christmas. I think because MS fucked up so bad, X1 fell down to about 3 million guaranteed sales and PS4 went up to 5 million guaranteed sales, at the very least. For all we know the split could be 4 and 6.

Definitely. Keeping things on topic though...XBL ecosystem is perfect for 6v6. My friends and I have been clicking up on fps multiplayer since forever on XBL. Myself and five friends is plenty enough for such an application. Hell, all I need is two other friends and I can kill eight hours before I know it in a multiplayer shooter. This criticism is silly to me, but I see it for what it is. :-/

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Why not offer modes with more players, and let the community decide?

Like Battlefield offers conquest and smaller modes.

Halo gives you Big Team Battle and smaller modes.

Wolf ET was cool, because you could find a server that had 6 vs. 6, or 32 vs. 32, and they were different experiences.

Where's the variety, Titanfall? The value.... You've already cut out any SP mode...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I really don't understand... It also makes it seem like ONE game mode. Having 6v6 across the board seems a bit eh.

There's at least 3 confirmed game modes that we know of.

- Campaign Multiplayer
- Traditional multiplayer with pilots and mechs
- Traditional multiplayer with pilots only

I assume in the next 3-6 weeks we will see more on game modes. Capture and hold (hardpoint/domination), TDM, CTF, and FFA are all pretty standard and I'd expect them to be in. A counter-strike bomb-plant mode would be cool or VIP/king of the hill derivative. I dunno. Maybe there will be a rock 'em sock 'em mode.

cheezcake

Perfect. The best multiplayer games are those which focus on team-centric gameplay and communication, communicating to a team of 10+ players is just a chore. 5 is generally my preferred sweet spot (dota, cs:go, bf4 squads etc) but 6 sounds good as well.

Wasn't Titanfall supposed to have large sprawling maps? That doesn't really should like something were 6v6 is the ideal player count. Low player count works for games like Gears or TLoU where the action is slow and deliberate.

Well I guess the thing is that it's six v. six but then the Titans add it into it when you are out of the Titans, so then it's 12 v. 12. The I guess there are cannon fodder bots? So it's not just pure 6 v. 6.

Eww. Haven't played it but that doesn't sound good at all. Tisk tisk for those shaming large number multiplayer games. Those are usually the best.

edit: Also I don't want AI in my multiplayer games. Its multiPLAYER, not multiai.

Yeah the AI is what I'm curious to know more about. The player count is low but this game should not be compared to any other shooter since it's doing it's own thing and shouldn't be judged based on nothing. But the AI in a MP match just sounds weird. Hope they shed some more light on this

DocSeuss

When Valve licensed the engine, EA hadn't yet split off and forced the Origin client.

Who knows how this effected Respawn's contract since that hadn't happened yet either.

BF4 is infuriating to play no matter your control style.

Sure. I'm just assuming that EA's just like "hey, keep quiet on the Steam thing."

As far as I can tell, they've never outright addressed the Steam questions. They get asked, but they pretend they're not there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I remember the internet rage about the 12v12 max for TF2 announcement, and I too was up in arms about it, but I ended up being wrong and refuse to play the servers modded to play 16v16 because the maps are just too small for it.

So I don't want to judge the game too quickly. But one thing I do know is I absolutely refuse to play multiplayer modes with bots. So if the game ends up feeling designed with bots in mind as the primary way to play, I don't think I could even give it a chance.

Clawww

/FACEPALM

this post is just super-cringe

I don't even want to tell you that he was referring, obviously, to the creeps

I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times.

Lmfao tell me this isn't real.

May sound crazy but depending on the game it isn't all that uncommon.

I've had dozens of times playing Gears of War where my adrenaline was pumping like crazy and I literally had to put down the controller for a few minutes to compose myself because my heart was beating out of my chest. It's one of the things I love most about that game. If Titanfall can even somewhat replicate it then I'll be extremely happy.

J-Rzez

Hmm. Map size will determine how well this will work out. Player counts like this lead me to believe it's going to be another shooter in a shoebox, which I'm not really down with. If it were an ultra tactical game, then perhaps, but I don't believe this is that type of game. Was being cautious due to EA's name being on the box, but now I'm becoming more leery. Will wait and see.

Hip Hop

Why not offer modes with more players, and let the community decide?

Like Battlefield offers conquest and smaller modes.

Halo gives you Big Team Battle and smaller modes.

Wolf ET was cool, because you could find a server that had 6 vs. 6, or 32 vs. 32, and they were different experiences.

Where's the variety, Titanfall? The value.... You've already cut out any SP mode...

A 5-8 hour campaign adds value to a game?

The multiplayer component will most likely trump that a handful of times over.
They cut nothing out, infact, they added more value by not having a distraction making a SP mode.

I'll gladly support this and I hope more and more games choose this route of an online only. SP games also need a change for me, something along the lines of a Destiny. SP games revolving around an online ecosystem. Hope more companies stick to this.

xJavonta

Banned
Controller support in the PC version confirmed! So ready for this game
cntdUUK.png

Fantasmo

People didn't realise that some of the 'players' running around in trailers were AI. I can understand why someone might be misled by that.
You saw more than 12 at a time? I didn't see it. I hope the outrage is shortlived.

There aren't many popular small scale series and I hate shitted up threads full of outrage instead of discussion. I honestly might have to take a leave of gaming forums with the way things have been going to enjoy this.

If it has tight gameplay as well as a good map design then I don't see any problem

You could have a high player count but the gameplay mechanics could be sloppy and the map design choices dreadful for you to even care about or enjoy the game but then again you could have the opposite as well which usually bodes well for team strategic based games... Seeing as this game is more adrenaline based, 6 vs 6 with great action, modes, and level design (speculative assumption based on people's impressions and is not final fact) could make the number count understandable... Of course time will tell in the end if they do pull it off

There is absolutely no comparison.. none of the creeps are "smart" they are on a pre-defined line in each lane. The AI partners in Titanfall would do more to effect the game. Creeps in dota just run in a pre-defined path into towers over and over again

It's not a perfect comparison but it's more accurate. The AI players aren't nearly as capable as human players. They are weaker, can't double jump/wall-run, can't call in Titans. Though they're obviously more complicated, conceptually and within the game's design, they are more similar to creeps in DOTA than they are bots in DOTA.

Clawww

you're downplaying the importance and mechanics of creeps to save face here

yes, they just trudge down lanes, but controlling creeps is a vital part of the game since they're basically packets of gold and XP. their aggro mechanics are also absolutely vital to early laning or playing mid. a fat creep-wave pushing in your lane (without a hero!) warrants a TP-scroll response.

i think having 'creeps' in a shooter is fascinating if it allows for interactions like it does in Dota.

Grief.exe

I remember the internet rage about the 12v12 max for TF2 announcement, and I too was up in arms about it, but I ended up being wrong and refuse to play the servers modded to play 16v16 because the maps are just too small for it.

So I don't want to judge the game too quickly. But one thing I do know is I absolutely refuse to play multiplayer modes with bots. So if the game ends up feeling designed with bots in mind as the primary way to play, I don't think I could even give it a chance.

I only play Scout in TF2 and 16v16 maps totally destroy the viability of the class and the general flow of the game as a whole.

Sure. I'm just assuming that EA's just like "hey, keep quiet on the Steam thing."

As far as I can tell, they've never outright addressed the Steam questions. They get asked, but they pretend they're not there.

DK gave me an answer in one of the Titanfall threads on GAF but he was really evasive about it.
He alluded to contracts being different, but that is all he said on the matter.

To be honest, if a Steam version wasn't happening, they would have outright said it.

Top Bottom