• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst brand "advertisement" ever (Rovio / Angry Birds)

zoukka

Your reply was in regards to people stating that Namco is known for a lot more than Pac-Man.

Namco followed Pac-Man with Galaga. Rovio is hoping to ride Angry Birds until the well is dry. And then, they will be no more.

They have actually numerous prototypes being developed as we speak and of course they will milk the biggest videogame sensation of this decade to the bitter end. Just like Namco is still milking Pac-Man.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
They have actually numerous prototypes being developed as we speak and of course they will milk the biggest videogame sensation of this decade to the bitter end. Just like Namco is still milking Pac-Man.
I hate what Namco has done to Pac-Man, for the most part (mostly from the Namco America side, not surprisingly).

But we've got Pac-Man CE and CE DX out of the milking. So, I mean, it's hard to be mad.

TheContact

Never got the hype of Angry Birds. It's a fun game, yes. It's a dollar. But the amount of publicity and money its generated is just silly. It's not original at all. Right place, right time I guess.

Even considering all the horrific garbage the OT decides to share with the rest of the world, this is still one of the most depressing threads in recent memory.

I know it's pointless to say the Rovio guy should be ashamed of himself (Angry Birds prints money and all that), but... he really should be ashamed of himself.

disco

What a tacky thing to do. If Miyamoto took his sword and shield to the annual Peace Memorial Ceremony I would still think it was horrific.

Dabanton

Angry Birds does what it does it's a nice distraction why people get so bent out of shape over it, i never know.

zoukka

I hate what Namco has done to Pac-Man, for the most part (mostly from the Namco America side, not surprisingly).

But we've got Pac-Man CE and CE DX out of the milking. So, I mean, it's hard to be mad.

Yeah who knows if 25 years from now, Rovio has made something good out of all this!

Angry Birds does what it does it's a nice distraction why people get so bent out of shape over it, i never know.

It always the case of "Why people enjoy _________ which i hate, but instead should love what I like".

Some people cannot fathom that others enjoy what they hate.

freddy

Banned
A06D

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't hate something that brings laughs like this.

It always the case of "Why people enjoy _________ which i hate, but instead should love what is like".

I think there's a certain amount of resentment that its had seemingly fuck all work, tech-wise at least, put into it for its massive profits.

Also, having the franchise shoved in your face doesn't help. Its why I understood people disliking Harry Potter beyond what you'd expect from people who simply weren't fans of the books

spats

some more pics

angry_j1061211PP_503_lj.jpg

angry_j2061211PP_503_lj.jpg

Also, apparently Vesterbacka keeps tweeting stuff all the time while he's there. Seems like a real charmer.

sakipon

I really think it's more about the one hit wonder thing. Kind of like a nice song becomes headache inducing when the artist plays it over and over again... because as soon as people will hear the rest of the album, that career will be over for good.

I really think it's more about the one hit wonder thing. Kind of like a nice song becomes headache inducing when the artist plays it over and over again... because as soon as people will hear the rest of the album, that career will be over for good.

There are singers that still live off pretty well out of their one hit wonders.

jman2050

Well Rovio has made other games. Lots of other games actually, more than a lot of other companies. No one bought them. There's no reason to believe people would buy anything else non-Angry Birds they release from here on out either.

Relying on the strength of your brand as opposed to the strength of your product is generally a bad idea.

some more pics

[I MG]http://static.iltalehti.fi/linnanjuhlat/angry_j1061211PP_503_lj.jpg[/IMG]

[I MG]http://static.iltalehti.fi/linnanjuhlat/angry_j2061211PP_503_lj.jpg[/IMG]

Also, apparently Vesterbacka keeps tweeting stuff all the time while he's there. Seems like a real charmer.

According to wikipedia, Vesterbacka is not CEO of Rovio, it's someone named Mikael Hed. Are we sure it's him?

Wikipedia says Crush the Castle only released 7 1/2 months before Angry Birds. Somehow I thought it came out even earlier than that. When was Castle Clout released?

Orcastar

I knew Rovio were getting a bit over the top marketing Angry Birds, but this is just too ridiculous.

I liked it better when Max Payne was still the best-known Finnish video game brand...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I knew Rovio were getting a bit over the top marketing Angry Birds, but this is just too ridiculous.
The thing I find perplexing about the whole Angry Birds merch overload is that people are buying $20 t-shirts and $30, $50, $70 dolls and toys for a game that is $1 (or free).

It kind of hurts my brain thinking about it.

zoukka

The thing I find perplexing about the whole Angry Birds merch overload is that people are buying $20 t-shirts and $30, $50, $70 dolls and toys for a game that is $1 (or free).

I am so sorry I have to inform you about this but...

Angry Birds has actually launched as a physical copy on shelves. It's the same free/1 dollar game... for 10 euros.

Yes I'm not even kidding :)

If Angry Birds put that much money in my life, I'd wear it too. And love it.

Every day if necessary.

The power of a brand..! Are people really buying all of these things for these kinds of prices? I guess I was never in the loop on this particular IP.

Orcastar

I guess you could say that at this point the games are just another form of advertising. What they're really selling is the characters themselves, in any form they can think of.

Fox Mulder

Every company would do this if they could. There's even Halo toys for kids when the game is rated M.

The game took off because it has an appealing art style and catchy music in addition to gameplay that's approachable by anyone. A mom trying to get 3 stars on every level gives her the same satisfaction as people getting worthless achievements or trophies on their big boy real game consoles.

plus there's an actual plastic toy version of the game for $20.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11393574

PetriRMD

Neo Member
FWIW, the games are sold at various pricepoints - iPad versions are 2.99 and 4.99, Mac and PC digital versions are sold at 4.99 USD.

The boxed copies are priced at 9.99 because there's so much additional costs involved (printing costs, retail, shipping, logistics), but basically it's exactly the same game as the online versions (auto-updates and includes future version and content updates).

Boxes are much better as gift items though, and some people still like to collect them. If you don't, then the digital download versions are probably better for you.

Cheers,

BooJoh

It always the case of "Why people enjoy _________ which i hate, but instead should love what I like".

For me, I can't help but feel just a little revolted that they made a reskin of someone else's flash game, got popular, and are riding that wave while being arrogant as hell about it and acting like they're personally crushing the traditional portable gaming industry.

That said, I've played the game a little, it's not bad, but it is what it is - a time waster. I actually think the advent calendar thing they've got going now is kinda cool though.

Top Bottom