• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Jamix012
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:03 PM)
Jamix012's Avatar

Originally Posted by BadWolf

I personally have no doubt that it is when combined with digital.

The opening is up there for the series any way you look at it, not much to complain about.

Even with digital, it's unlikely Media Create numbers would be the best in the series.
AcademicSaucer
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:05 PM)
AcademicSaucer's Avatar

Originally Posted by hiska-kun

Mario Kart 8 VS Splatoon (two weeks left?)

Code:

------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Mario Kart 8    |      Splatoon     |  Difference  | 
|    | [WIU] (2014/05/29)| [WIU] (2015/05/28)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | SPLTN - MK8  | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|  1 |  325.892|  325.892|  144.818|  144.818|      -181.074|
|  2 |   73.051|  398.943|   68.913|  213.731|      -185.212|
|  3 |   42.261|  441.205|   53.198|  266.929|      -174.276| 
|  4 |   28.112|  469.316|   43.653|  310.582|      -158.734| 
|  5 |   23.520|  492.837|   37.458|  348.040|      -144.797|  
|  6 |   19.386|  512.223|   34.135|  382.175|      -130.048|  
|  7 |   15.143|  527.366|   26.136|  408.312|      -119.054|  
|  8 |   14.992|  542.358|   22.557|  430.869|      -111.489|  
|  9 |   18.129|  560.487|   24.289|  455.158|      -105.329| 
| 10 |   18.067|  578.554|   28.256|  483.413|       -95.141| 
| 11 |   20.860|  599.414|   35.620|  519.034|       -80.380| 
| 12 |   28.221|  627.635|   41.361|  560.394|       -67.241| 
| 13 |   12.075|  639.710|   23.874|  584.268|       -55.442| 
| 14 |   11.148|  650.858|   23.403|  607.670|       -43.188|
| 15 |    8.221|  659.079|   18.826|  626.497|       -32.582|
| 16 |    6.839|  665.918|   17.490|  643.987|       -21.931|
| 17 |    6.396|  672.313|         |         |              |
| 18 |    5.936|  678.250|         |         |              |
| 19 |    4.517|  682.767|         |         |              |
| 20 |    3.996|  686.763|         |         |              |
| 21 |    3.625|  690.387|         |         |              |
| 22 |    2.821|  693.208|         |         |              |
| 23 |    3.170|  696.378|         |         |              |
| 24 |    3.210|  699.588|         |         |              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Total        -|1.122.317|        -|  643.987|      -478.330|      
-------------------------------------------------------------
Rhythm Battle (we need holidays)

Code:

------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   Rhythm Fever    | Rhythm the Best+  |  Difference  |
|    | [WII] (2011/07/21)| [3DS] (2015/06/11)|              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  RHtB+ - RHF | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|  1 |  118.173|  118.173|  157.591|  157.591|        39.418| 
|  2 |   81.938|  200.112|   66.416|  224.008|        23.896| 
|  3 |   62.597|  262.709|   42.718|  266.726|         4.017|  
|  4 |   63.590|  326.300|   34.467|  301.193|       -25.107| 
|  5 |   48.190|  374.489|   24.650|  325.844|       -48.645|
|  6 |   25.063|  399.552|   17.650|  343.493|       -56.059|
|  7 |   22.762|  422.314|   16.110|  359.603|       -62.711|
|  8 |   15.600|  437.913|   14.382|  373.985|       -63.928|
|  9 |   14.647|  452.560|   18.852|  392.837|       -59.723|
| 10 |   17.354|  469.914|   27.356|  420.193|       -49.721|
| 11 |   11.468|  481.382|   12.083|  432.276|       -49.106|
| 12 |   10.731|  492.112|   13.716|  445.991|       -46.121|
| 13 |   13.202|  505.315|    9.293|  455.284|       -50.031|
| 14 |   12.377|  517.691|    7.079|  462.363|       -55.328|
| 15 |    9.251|  526.943|         |         |              |
| 16 |    8.581|  535.523|         |         |              |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------|
|Total        -|  722.910|        -|  462.363|      -260.547|      
-------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I learned that Warioware characters are in Rhythm the Best+ , it hurts even more to not have the game.
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(09-16-2015, 04:05 PM)
Aostia's Avatar
I don't know if #FE will be abandoned as W101 was.
In the end, there is the FE brand attached to it, and we saw how much Nintendo care about that brand.
We will see, I suppose.

PS: I'm expecting a "decent" push, nothing spectacular, for japan and a no-push for the West. My expectations with a decent exposure in Japan in any case would be around 115k LTD (FE Wii did 170k; no SMT/Persona data comparable enough to this, imho, to look at)
Pennywise83
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:07 PM)
Pennywise83's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

I would not say "greatly" because these are pretty low expectations to begin with, but I will say that it's worth noting that the sort of horror Fatal Frame uses is pretty popular as a mainstream cultural thing in Japan, so it's probably easier to sell just on premise alone without any sort of unique push. The same can be said of something like Attack on Titan for example, where it is so widespread in terms of popular culture that people are just aware of what it is, without needing a specific "otaku" market.

Well, "greatly" because it was the best-selling entry (and it was competing with PS2 entries). Videogame-wise, though, Fatal Frame is an heavy core-centric series since it should sell to a slightly more mature audience wrt the typical Nintendo fanbase - and it is also a genre that is hard to sell to the mainstream. Attack on Titan is an anime tie-in and an action-game so two advantages wrt a niche series such as Fatal Frame. If the sort of horror Fatal Frame uses had been pretty popular and mainstream, we would have seen much more games in this genre and much higher sales from Fatal Frame on PS2; not even Siren was a big IP back then, with the first one selling around 120k units.

My idea is that Nintendo might lack the expertise to sell to the traditional Sony fanbase (hack'n'slash, action games, "modern-cinematic" jRPGs, fighting games) but otherwise it has been able to capture some niches, even when it came to "heavy core-centric" games.
allan-bh
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:08 PM)
allan-bh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jamix012

Even with digital, it's unlikely Media Create numbers would be the best in the series.

Yes. If Media Create was the most close to actual sales, the launch was probably lower than MGS 4, if was Famitsu is certainly better and Dengeki is in between of the others trackers I believe.
SPAW
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:09 PM)

Originally Posted by ethomaz

After MSGV boost PS4 back to September/August baseline.

~18k

It was expected.

The MGSV drop is normal I guess... anybody has the MGSIV drop for PS3?

Edit - MGSIV data.

01./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 465,000 / NEW
2. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 68,000 / 533,000

85% drop.

It is normal guys.

it's incredible how fast console sales sales flow back to their equilibrium state after a shock, but also how console dependent this effect is.
L~A
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:10 PM)
L~A's Avatar

Originally Posted by hiska-kun

Mario Kart 8 VS Splatoon (two weeks left?)

It'd be surprising if Splatoon didn't manage to outsell MK8 by the end of the month.
KratosEnergyDrink
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:10 PM)
Wow! Sharp drop for PS4 seems MGS did not save the PS4 in Japan neither will any other game.

Nice sales for Mario Maker but expected higher Wii U bump.

Splatoon sales are still a joy. :)
Ryng_tolu
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:12 PM)
In other news: XB1 over 200 this week. Amazing. :P
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 04:12 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aostia

PS: I'm expecting a "decent" push, nothing spectacular, for japan and a no-push for the West. My expectations with a decent exposure in Japan in any case would be around 115k LTD (FE Wii did 170k; no SMT/Persona data comparable enough to this, imho, to look at)

At 115K, this would be doing a fair bit worse than Etrian Odyssey at what has to be a huge multiple on the budget.

I think it pretty much summarizes the issues with making a game like this on Wii U.

That's before we even start comparing it to Atlus' other notable projects with larger budgets like SMT or Persona, at which point this gets left in the dust.
RPGamer92
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:13 PM)
RPGamer92's Avatar
Why is MGSV 9000 yen? Is it just Konami being Konami or the result of high dev cost?
DaSorcerer7
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:14 PM)
DaSorcerer7's Avatar
Expected a bit more for Mario Maker. massive drop for mgsv.
mao2
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:15 PM)

Originally Posted by KillerMan91

Stock problems could have led people to buy it more digitally though.

True, but I'd imagine that the majority would still prefer to buy the physical version. It's cheaper than the digital version too.
Pennywise83
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:16 PM)
Pennywise83's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

At 115K, this would be doing a fair bit worse than Etrian Odyssey at what has to be a huge multiple on the budget.

I think it pretty much summarizes the issues with making a game like this on Wii U.

That's before we even start comparing it to Atlus' other notable projects with larger budgets like SMT or Persona, at which point this gets left in the dust.

How much would FE# sell on, let's say, PS3? The game has a higher budget than EO but I cannot see it selling, like, 200k or 300k elsewhere. Not even Persona was selling much more than 200-250k on PS2. Perhaps it would sell a lot on 3DS because FE fanbase is there, but it doesn't look like a game that would set any chart on fire.
Ryng_tolu
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:18 PM)
PS4 sales so far in September: 73,049

It need to sell with avg. of 13,476 unit the nexts 2 weeks for break 100k mark this month...
Can happen but even no.
I predicted 110,000 PS4 this month in Japan, didn't expect a pricedrop annunced damn. :-/
noshten
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:21 PM)
noshten's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

At 115K, this would be doing a fair bit worse than Etrian Odyssey at what has to be a huge multiple on the budget.

I think it pretty much summarizes the issues with making a game like this on Wii U.

That's before we even start comparing it to Atlus' other notable projects with larger budgets like SMT or Persona, at which point this gets left in the dust.


I think it's pretty obvious why Nintendo is working on this project, since they do seem to want to have titles servicing particular niches. We shall see how it does, it does seem to be focused on a particular niche in Japan. I don't know what type of goal they have in mind for the game and it doesn't appear that there is a huge demographic of Wii U owners in Japan who might be interested. But at the same time it might push a small group of consumers to get a Wii U for the Holidays in Japan. The main thing is to have another bundle with one of the heavy hitters available as an alternative for the Holidays as well.

Personally the tropes are pretty enticing and I will get it once released in the West. Actually I think I might be anticipating this game more than any other Wii U upcoming title(haven't seen enough of Zelda at this point).
Chris1964
Sales-Age Genius
(09-16-2015, 04:23 PM)

Originally Posted by BadWolf

I personally have no doubt that it is when combined with digital.

The opening is up there for the series any way you look at it, not much to complain about.

MGS3 opened at 550k at MC. I don't know how many digital sales you expect.
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(09-16-2015, 04:25 PM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

At 115K, this would be doing a fair bit worse than Etrian Odyssey at what has to be a huge multiple on the budget.

I think it pretty much summarizes the issues with making a game like this on Wii U.

That's before we even start comparing it to Atlus' other notable projects with larger budgets like SMT or Persona, at which point this gets left in the dust.

I agree, but at the end, it's still a Nintendo game, and they are doing games also to servicing their costumers.
I'm not saying this is a smart thing to do, nor that they are particularly good at this, btw.
Oregano
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:27 PM)
Oregano's Avatar
I think Nirolak's point is that Sega probably isn't going to benefit much from #FE. When the deal was made Atlus was independent so funding from Nintendo(even for a bomb) was some nice, reliable cashflow.
crinale
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:28 PM)
crinale's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aostia

I agree, but at the end, it's still a Nintendo game, and they are doing games also to servicing their costumers.
I'm not saying this is a smart thing to do, nor that they are particularly good at this, btw.

Like many other have already stated Nintendo have good reason to release this game regardless of the profitability (Nintendo isn't the only platform holder to do this anyway). I think when looking from third party point of view this becomes the issue.
Pinky
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:29 PM)
Nice bump for Wii U hardware!

Solid start for SMM. :) Hope this game has good legs. I can see word of mouth moving copies over time. Game is highly addictive and fun as hell.

Splatoon! Those legs keep moving. Impressive!
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 04:31 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pennywise83

How much would FE# sell on, let's say, PS3? The game has a higher budget than EO but I cannot see it selling, like, 200k or 300k elsewhere. Not even Persona was selling much more than 200-250k on PS2. Perhaps it would sell a lot on 3DS because FE fanbase is there, but it doesn't look like a game that would set any chart on fire.

I'm going to try and pick out a selection of titles I feel are somewhat comparable in terms of being niche games targeting a similar audience (notable niche developer, low to moderate budget, either self published or by a larger publisher, and it's a spin-off or new series).

I will exclude Xbox 360 SKUs and only use PS3 numbers.

Catherine: 210,543
Resonance of Fate: 194,776
Persona 4 Arena: 191,748
NieR Replicant: 159,566
Dragon's Crown: 151,681
The Witch and the Hundred Knight: 83,041

I also excluded White Knight Chronicles given Level 5's prominence and Dark Souls given it feels like it exists in a different budget range. I stopped once I got to the tier where we're notably below the predicted 115K figure. That brought us to a developer on the scale of Nippon Ichi making a non-Disgaea title.

I do think this type of cross-over would have done better on 3DS that it will on Wii U, and cost less to boot.

Originally Posted by Aostia

I agree, but at the end, it's still a Nintendo game, and they are doing games also to servicing their costumers.
I'm not saying this is a smart thing to do, nor that they are particularly good at this, btw.

Yes, I get why this was appealing for Nintendo, and Nintendo would probably still do it again even knowing the outcome, since they want their Wii U owners to walk away satisfied with the generation.

Originally Posted by Oregano

I think Nirolak's point is that Sega probably isn't going to benefit much from #FE. When the deal was made Atlus was independent so funding from Nintendo(even for a bomb) was some nice, reliable cashflow.

Yes. Atlus was in bad shape at the time and this was a great way to get the team covered for a long time with stable income, and it didn't matter how the game sold since they weren't footing the bill.
test_account
XP-39Cē
(09-16-2015, 04:36 PM)
test_account's Avatar

Originally Posted by KratosEnergyDrink

Wow! Sharp drop for PS4 seems MGS did not save the PS4 in Japan neither will any other game.

Nice sales for Mario Maker but expected higher Wii U bump.

Splatoon sales are still a joy. :)

Metal Gear Solid 5 was never going to save anything in the first place though. Its one of the more predictable games. But you're right, no other games will save the PS4, as it seems really unlikely that some game will be released that "everyone" just has to have. Its the total library of games that will matter, the same goes for other systems as well.
Oregano
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:37 PM)
Oregano's Avatar
@Nirolak: That's kind of been Nintendo's big issue this gen. All their Wii U stuff probably would have done better on the 3DS if it could theoretically run them.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 04:39 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oregano

@Nirolak: That's kind of been Nintendo's big issue this gen. All their Wii U stuff probably would have done better on the 3DS if it could theoretically run them.

The situation with the Wii U in general is pretty unfortunate, since Nintendo really did give it their all in the end, but the situation was far too sunk for it to matter.

Even many of the most bearish Wii U doubters didn't expect the system to track notably worse than the Dreamcast (until after the point where the Dreamcast was discontinued).
Pennywise83
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:47 PM)
Pennywise83's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

I'm going to try and pick out a selection of titles I feel are somewhat comparable in terms of being niche games targeting a similar audience (notable niche developer, low to moderate budget, either self published or by a larger publisher, and it's a spin-off or new series).

I will exclude Xbox 360 SKUs and only use PS3 numbers.

Catherine: 210,543
Resonance of Fate: 194,776
Persona 4 Arena: 191,748
NieR Replicant: 159,566
Dragon's Crown: 151,681
The Witch and the Hundred Knight: 83,041

I also excluded White Knight Chronicles given Level 5's prominence and Dark Souls given it feels like it exists in a different budget range. I stopped once I got to the tier where we're notably below the predicted 115K figure. That brought us to a developer on the scale of Nippon Ichi making a non-Disgaea title.

I do think this type of cross-over would have done better on 3DS that it will on Wii U, and cost less to boot.

Thanks. So you're basically confirming that the game would have not had much higher hopes elsewhere, at least in the home-console environment. Also, it'd be interesting to see how the game will sell in the West thanks to the Nintendo push; Catherine sold well over here, and Dragon's Crown as well, but the others not so much, and that might make a difference.
Oregano
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:49 PM)
Oregano's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

The situation with the Wii U in general is pretty unfortunate, since Nintendo really did give it their all in the end, but the situation was far too sunk for it to matter.

Even many of the most bearish Wii U doubters didn't expect the system to track notably worse than the Dreamcast (until after the point where the Dreamcast was discontinued).

I would say there big issue is that they tried to be a jack of all trades but couldn't compete on any side. If you want core/third party experiences then PS4/XBO are better, if you want casual/social experiences then mobile/tablets are better and if you want Nintendo games then the 3DS is better.

I think the fact that the 3DS now has stuff like 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Smash Bros, Xenoblade which were previously reserved for the consoles took away what little appeal the consoles had left.

In fact Nintendo's release strategy has been kind of terrible in that regard. NSMB2 pre-empted NSMB U, DKCR pre-empted Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade pre-empted Xenoblade X and Smash Bros 3DS pre-empted Smash Bros Wii U.

That's why exactly how they handle cross-platform development/releases and NX is very important.
Vena
Member
(09-16-2015, 04:51 PM)
Vena's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

The situation with the Wii U in general is pretty unfortunate, since Nintendo really did give it their all in the end, but the situation was far too sunk for it to matter.

Even many of the most bearish Wii U doubters didn't expect the system to track notably worse than the Dreamcast (until after the point where the Dreamcast was discontinued).

If #FE does "okay", we could see it return or continue as a series when handheld and console aren't worlds apart as well as the respective fanbases (especially since Nintendo is seemingly trying to build some strength in the jRPG genre). This, in particular, seems and feels like a game that would have done well if it could have tapped the 3DS market audience. But, as it is and as it has been, the 3DS audience is served well enough to not even have to buy a WiiU. Xenoblade is on the 3DS, all sorts of other jRPGs are on the 3DS, etc.

Then again, I want who ever marketted splatoon to market #FE. :P You're a Performa now, you're a Chrom now.
Conduit
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Rocky

Maybe it was because of the price drop that's coming?

Price drop was announced yesterday. How can affect PS4 sales from last week?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 04:57 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pennywise83

Thanks. So you're basically confirming that the game would have not had much higher hopes elsewhere, at least in the home-console environment. Also, it'd be interesting to see how the game will sell in the West thanks to the Nintendo push; Catherine sold well over here, and Dragon's Crown as well, but the others not so much, and that might make a difference.

Yeah, it's not a huge difference, especially in absolute numbers. There's a reason that pretty short list represents about an entire generation's worth of attempts at making something along these lines.

The Wii U reduces your sales by maybe 30-50% if we peg to that assumed level, but it's from a reserved high.

Originally Posted by Oregano

I would say there big issue is that they tried to be a jack of all trades but couldn't compete on any side. If you want core/third party experiences then PS4/XBO are better, if you want casual/social experiences then mobile/tablets are better and if you want Nintendo games then the 3DS is better.

Right. Even the Xbox One's main problems stem from essentially trying to be a better home entertainment box instead of just a gaming box and the trade-offs they had to endure for that. However, they're still much closer to what people who still bought home consoles were looking for.

Originally Posted by Oregano

I think the fact that the 3DS now has stuff like 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Smash Bros, Xenoblade which were previously reserved for the consoles took away what little appeal the consoles had left.

In fact Nintendo's release strategy has been kind of terrible in that regard. NSMB2 pre-empted NSMB U, DKCR pre-empted Tropical Freeze, Xenoblade pre-empted Xenoblade X and Smash Bros 3DS pre-empted Smash Bros Wii U.

This is also what we were kind of talking about in the previous thread with Miku and Phantasy Star. As platforms become more capable and games begin to span across them, there becomes a lot of redundant products for anyone who developing separate products for both.

We did see this in the West where console only product lines like Call of Duty: Big Red One, Far Cry: Predator, and Battlefield: Bad Company simply disappeared in favor of mainline games that were on both console and PC, since there was no longer a point in having separate games.

Originally Posted by Oregano

That's why exactly how they handle cross-platform development/releases and NX is very important.

This is part of why I'm assuming they're just essentially the exact same system. Like, I think you will essentially buy an NX game (be it a cartridge of download code) and it will just function on either.
Darius
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:59 PM)
Took a quick look at ytd sales for both handhelds, as of right now the year to date performance compared to last years is as followed

Media Create

3DS: -13%
PSV: -27%

This year might be the last "big" push, considering actual sales trends. 3DS because of a possible successor and PSV more due to bad sales. After the push earlier this year sales really fall flat for PSV, only Minecraft hindered worse until now.
Rocky
Banned
(09-16-2015, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Conduit

Price drop was announced yesterday. How can affect PS4 sales from last week?

Maybe there were rumors leaked there last week or something?
Vena
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:00 PM)
Vena's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rocky

Maybe there were rumors leaked there last week or something?

No. We don't need to hunt for answers for Occam's Razor.
noshten
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:03 PM)
noshten's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

This is part of why I'm assuming they're just essentially the exact same system. Like, I think you will essentially buy an NX game (be it a cartridge of download code) and it will just function on either.

If they make a handheld that can act as a controller for their next console. I might actually be tempted to buy one - especially if they can keep costs down by not adding 3D or other costly gimmicks. They should just try to make whatever handheld they put out next $150> and bundle deals when purchasing the console and handheld. As a person who hasn't bought a handheld since the DS - that's pretty much the only way I'd contemplate purchasing one at this point.
Obviously they are likely going to incur larger loss on hardware but that shouldn't be their main consideration considering how much handheld market has contracted.
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(09-16-2015, 05:04 PM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

This is part of why I'm assuming they're just essentially the exact same system. Like, I think you will essentially buy an NX game (be it a cartridge of download code) and it will just function on either.

can I ask you to summarize me a couple of issues I have with this foreseen new NX setup?

Wouldn't a setup like that totally delete any kind of interest, so any kind of target costumer group/sales, on the home console in Japan?
Maybe in the West there would be more balance between NX portable and NX home, but in the end: would that setup deleting a consistent chunk of revenue for Nintendo either way?

I mean, in that setup I see an even smaller group of loyal costumers (as I could be defined, being such a videogame passionate and loving Nintendo products in particular) going out to buy both their HW products.
theprodigy
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Vena

If #FE does "okay", we could see it return or continue as a series when handheld and console aren't worlds apart as well as the respective fanbases (especially since Nintendo is seemingly trying to build some strength in the jRPG genre).This, in particular, seems and feels like a game that would have done well if it could have tapped the 3DS market audience. But, as it is and as it has been, the 3DS audience is served well enough to not even have to buy a WiiU. Xenoblade is on the 3DS, all sorts of other jRPGs are on the 3DS, etc.

Then again, I want who ever marketted splatoon to market #FE. :P You're a Performa now, you're a Chrom now.

I'm not going to believe that unless they put some serious advertising on Xenoblade Chronicles X in the west (it's even open world, which is definitely not a niche genre!)
Vena
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:11 PM)
Vena's Avatar

Originally Posted by theprodigy

I'm not going to believe that unless they put some serious advertising on Xenoblade Chronicles X in the west (it's even open world, which is definitely not a niche genre!)

I do think that will happen, and have stood by that since launch and the Iwata's Asks on the title where they focused on the West for Xeno. When was the last time NoA released a special edition?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 05:16 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aostia

can I ask you to summarize me a couple of issues I have with this foreseen new NX setup?

Wouldn't a setup like that totally delete any kind of interest, so any kind of target costumer group/sales, on the home console in Japan?

Quite possibly, but there's not that much to lose, especially when the Wii U is likely not making much (if any) money.

In one of the interviews about the system, Iwata talked about how home consoles are more popular in the West and handhelds are more popular in Japan, and noted how it would be useful to have a platform that fit both needs. I will try to look up the interview.

Originally Posted by Aostia

Maybe in the West there would be more balance between NX portable and NX home, but in the end: would that setup deleting a consistent chunk of revenue for Nintendo either way?

This is certainly part of why they have not done this historically. But again, Nintendo was actively paying big chunks of money to have stores keep Wii Us on shelves in the West, so losing the Wii U's hardware sales is not meaningful if you're not making any money on them (or possibly even losing money overall for the generation).

Originally Posted by Aostia

I mean, in that setup I see an even smaller group of loyal costumers (as I could be defined, being such a videogame passionate and loving Nintendo products in particular) going out to buy both their HW products.

Yes, certainly. The goal will presumably to be to milk more money out of each individual customer through selling them more games and DLC and season passes and vanity microtransactions and etc. Nintendo has already been walking down that road.
Ridley327
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:17 PM)
Ridley327's Avatar

Originally Posted by RPGamer92

Why is MGSV 9000 yen? Is it just Konami being Konami or the result of high dev cost?

It's not uncommon for Japanese publishers to charge a franchise tax on a new mainline installment of a popular series. I think that the non-MMO numbered FF titles have debuted closer at 10000 yen fairly routinely.
Vena
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:23 PM)
Vena's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Yes, certainly. The goal will presumably to be to milk more money out of each individual customer through selling them more games and DLC and season passes and vanity microtransactions and etc. Nintendo has already been walking down that road.

That's this gen in a nut shell.
Moor-Angol
Banned
(09-16-2015, 05:24 PM)

Originally Posted by RPGamer92

Why is MGSV 9000 yen? Is it just Konami being Konami or the result of high dev cost?

high Kojima salary
Sectorseven
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:25 PM)
Sectorseven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conduit

Price drop was announced yesterday. How can affect PS4 sales from last week?

Maybe word spread down the supply chain and retailers suggested their customers wait. Or maybe retailers had little or no stock in anticipation of the price drop.
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(09-16-2015, 05:28 PM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Quite possibly, but there's not that much to lose, especially when the Wii U is likely not making much (if any) money.

In one of the interviews about the system, Iwata talked about how home consoles are more popular in the West and handhelds are more popular in Japan, and noted how it would be useful to have a platform that fit both needs. I will try to look up the interview.


This is certainly part of why they have not done this historically. But again, Nintendo was actively paying big chunks of money to have stores keep Wii Us on shelves in the West, so losing the Wii U's hardware sales is not meaningful if you're not making any money on them (or possibly even losing money overall for the generation).


Yes, certainly. The goal will presumably to be to milk more money out of each individual customer through selling them more games and DLC and season passes and vanity microtransactions and etc. Nintendo has already been walking down that road.

thank you very much, very clear explanation.
even more hyped (not necessarily interested LOL) in their "NeXt" step :p
Ryng_tolu
Banned
(09-16-2015, 05:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Conduit

Price drop was announced yesterday. How can affect PS4 sales from last week?

Media Create track ia between 7 and 13 september, the pricedrop was annunced 15 September.
So, the pricedrop annunced is not a reasone for this drop...
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 05:35 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar
So, Square Enix announced the new Mana game and it's a remake of the first Mana game for iOS/Android/Vita with a planned price of 1400 yen. They're also planning to port it to PS4.

They're planing to remake the Mana 2 and Mana 3 as well, in preparation for Mana 5 on the same set of platforms (well, maybe the Vita will be gone by then given the timeline).

duckroll detailed additional information here:

Originally Posted by duckroll

The Dengeki interview is interesting. I've only had time to skim it a little, but the guy in charge says that they're remaking the first game in 3D to act as a foundation for more remakes in the series. Mainly so they can have all the older titles from SD1-3 on the same platforms in 3D sharing assets and whatnot, and it can pave the way for a SD5 possibly. They're taking into consideration the demands of fans with the coming anniversary next year. They're also planning on releasing this remake on PS4 in future, but they'll only work on that after releasing the portable ones. For a downloadable stand alone title like this, he estimates the price will be about 1400yen. So 10-15 bucks.

Between this and Setsuna, we also now have two Square Enix games that look like the following releasing on PS4:



I'd like to wheel back for a moment to what Square Enix's current CEO said about how much they're willing to spend on new IPs (and presumably riskier projects):

“It’s important to create new IPs, but creating big IPs is difficult,” said Matsuda when asked about making new IPs. “Having been looking at the game industry up until now, it’s quite common to see [a video game series] take the form of a trilogy. In that sense, we need to have at least three [titles] before knowing whether it will continue growing or not.”

He continued, “It’s a smaller-scaled challenge up until the second title, and if you’ve raised the series enough to expect a big hit on the third title, then that’s when you can increase its scale. Once that third title becomes a success, that’s when I have nothing to worry about.”

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/21...X5WcopLIKOi.99

Presumably somewhere between this and Setsuna is what we can expect Square Enix to spend on a new IP going forward (until the third game), even with home consoles in play.
Vena
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:39 PM)
Vena's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Presumably somewhere between this and Setsuna is what we can expect Square Enix to spend on a new IP going forward (until the third game), even with home consoles in play.

I wonder if its unreasonable to predict that these will get dropped even harder and faster than Bravely. >.>
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(09-16-2015, 05:40 PM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vena

I wonder if its unreasonable to predict that these will get dropped even harder and faster than Bravely. >.>

They're internally developed, so I think they have somewhat better odds.

I mean Rise of Mana didn't go well, yet they got the greenlight to do this, and seemingly have a plan in place to make the entire series along with a new entry.
-MB-
Member
(09-16-2015, 05:41 PM)
-MB-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Vena

I wonder if its unreasonable to predict that these will get dropped even harder and faster than Bravely. >.>

It not being on a Nintendo system will prevent that.
Moor-Angol
Banned
(09-16-2015, 05:45 PM)
Sangoku Rensenki is an adventure game which be rereleased on Vita.
This is a news anyone will care cause it's neither splatoon nor regarding a 3DS game, but someone might be interested cause it will also be released on... PSP

yes, the good old Playstation Portable will receive a game probably in the beginning of 2016, 12 years after its release... only the original Gameboy did better
Aostia
El Capitan Todd
(09-16-2015, 06:01 PM)
Aostia's Avatar

Originally Posted by -MB-

It not being on a Nintendo system will prevent that.

becaue Bravely didn't perform on Nintendo system? sorry, but wasn't that the most successfull new IP for SE since...the forever?

Thread Tools