• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Spanglo

Neo Member
My 2 ebikes, BBS02 motors, 10A & 8A battery packs.

jD9JkI7081IWMGqVlcvnGZglPC8S3B71np7WlWbGYD0LHH78N4G5Wt6N2lJLA_aQOEcZc1k07Y9qdoje84oZ_D-moBPSeUfi1gB3rSg85Q6nJEs6dOIHDCmzVkh49XaWyRZQXPw-O4LjiXs3cu82zVq3jQY2-fQ-R3aRTy1R64-7hGzsgihveCXEd4xaU5_FtoefkPiHzwz2ywtbNdrJ-rOe0XxBpyjhRJQjkGSmvjEEb3gBT9ZqEem2i9XKQX_iAHzP51pHINaWqeEzFq926CGnJVYzDxlt064QzGt6oIG_3yc1df8grOtv3urdbPym0LxbI4mIE52kdg3dYYm9aFicJ4yLwu_nmjUjT1ESY_BinyUPpG5RQEYl5WWObmLrYsmd0M5Q9B_CVeyTt8-GHgfbsWMG7-WOkFcYXkWROqLfO-_NfC4U7OPdHJjdHlDRWkrXFznLoXaVgKAgCbW_ltK8Fdlr_eQ81l12UmUr7c8ei3SMS_eLqo3HzvUEljZA3HBLPLir1ApNi5Zj1A2X33-5M3LkL58JqSs2ildpzgInOILffHS_AcS0QYac29ldUXoN22t2zl3mOn5Agn0Rdyj7IIYRecymdXYJBca6cemQTW8-JE2hsgg0KvF2ANHxTd8q5J0b7K9YN-kZ61ipD_qfJ9rJL2hPx2LeULXW0ZtK8A=w640-h480-no

dvesMTUPnQUoLbZwVEz1KX3KJ59_rKlYoBE6nTRLfSxFdpnFbl65OYuixPytHdfiX0kkyZlxlR08c8hHOtoCNoe0ngV_fSYKd_01kDBbO71Mo-x7SgRE7I3v-oZLCf9z2M1N5286npj9dOfevg0xtGWox8Sg7PWARdxsO-c664TaM3yQkUm_ya4QZO6TVDnshyDZGZrxV9iz37_RZbgHOFA1wxc244URtpejNpdznWENImS4fxRNY5AbK_LX6X-3HHSfRj3jyGXuC1pwvUEM_HX7sztMts6fOgSnWn5nvZ5R75-BmEI6-u5mxSRMSnPlgBBevt_HqpSheTcSH3w3k2TFygYB5qa8l3bqGPDxGGAHyBT33dkGnB-cJ5BjXbOF7WdJ1-Pvp_Aq1l9LA2VPPKj-bT2ZMIwZDJF2ODqHDwlTvk6msBkUidXiB3CMIX7FEsc5DxbMxW69O6IrajkZFpwBf4yetB1sJYioLYl-oRVkewIgdFMTnlHjDklT0MpI2ElzYTaK_3wgVLVzVA5ny-evBLoNeJG-DwJh0I_82iMvii7ogAcqEJ3Z7nWsQjfI-j7nLwNiy7e-ZHlVwHvoolUacB6iTWluc69ThMgdnc-Ar_LfhYmbGazB-SUjxSAjgKXSMn-qy9jJSDCeKdWQAi3R0SDxVekB4oEJMT1HX6rUaQ=w640-h480-no

I really can't be arsed with any riding or training... it's not good.

I have another big event in October, but I feel really burned out after the nightmare leading up to Leadville.

Addnan

How do I get more punctures riding Gatorskins than I do on 4000SII. Fuck me. Just not going to commute on bike until I have something new. Fuck these things.

I had a major puncturefest earlier this summer. Three different rim and tyre combos all punctured several times for no apparent reason at all. Sometime shit just happens.

teepo

i saw way too many professional kits on the road during my two weeks in LA

or at least way more than i'm accustomed to seeing in DC. it was honestly quite jarring

Why is it frowned upon when regular cyclist wear a pro team kit? What's the difference between that and wearing a lebron James jersey?

At least in cycling, there can sometimes be an air arrogance to the people wearing them. Basketball jerseys are just worn as clothing items, fashion.

I guess you can call it comparable to 'full kit wankers' in the UK

I think anyone choosing to wear advertising like that looks a bit of a wanker... but that said, my "club" jersey had some advertising on it, so I'll fully admit I'm a wanker too. :D

(That Canyon one is fine, I'm talking about stuff like this)

main_20jersey_ddc637e4-5ad7-434e-add5-39f3fcf1433f_800x.jpg

Gray Matter

Think about if you rolled up to a group ride wearing a full pro team kit, but you didn't ride for that team in anyway shape or form. Riding something with that many advertisements is just asking for a hazing

Makes sense. I've seen people here and there with pro kits but I didn't pay too much mind to it.

teepo

those kits aren't drawing any attention due to their advertisements. the entire sport, from the local scene to the pros is dependent on sponsorship. if anything, being sponsored outside of local businesses is quite a big deal in the club level since you'd need to display some real talent in order to get that sort of funding.

professional kits just simply draw way too much attention the same say way nba, football, hockey and soccer jerseys do if you were to wear them for their intended sport. it means something to play for those teams and it especially means something when there's a name attached to that jersey. when you wear that lebron jersey to a pickup game, you better be unquestionably the best player on the court

and when i spot you wearing that trek factory racing kit with matching socks and all from a couples hundred or so meters back, don't start hammering it the second i pass you instead of maybe you know, working together. an even better idea is i keep my pace and you keep yours. it's not a fucking race.

that experience happens quite regularly with me but the fact that this douche was wearing a full kit just made it worse

any of you guys purchased from online bike sellers like canyon and yt industries. I haven't mountain biked for years but want to get back in to it and i'm looking at the prices and the components vs local shop. You get alot of good parts for the money

kottila

The "rules" originate from central Europe, where there pros ride on the same roads as you. They've earned the right to were the kit, whereas a someone who wears their kit is just an imposter. People don't really know what pro cyclists look like, so it's harder to know who's "real" and not than with lebron

For me it's more acceptable to wear pro kit the older and less fit you are.

Ripenen

any of you guys purchased from online bike sellers like canyon and yt industries. I haven't mountain biked for years but want to get back in to it and i'm looking at the prices and the components vs local shop. You get alot of good parts for the money

I just bought a Spectral from Canyon last weekend. My bike is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I test rode a bunch of bikes at the local shop but a similarly spec'd bike from Canyon ended up being more than $1K cheaper even after shipping.

I will warn you their online order form is pretty bad. They have been having problems with their payment processor so you'll enter your credit card info only to get no confirmation or any error message, and the order never gets placed. I finally got it sorted after contacting their support team but it didn't make me feel great about the whole process of buying a bike online. They do also accept PayPal and I think they do phone orders so you might have more luck with one of those options.

Mascot

What the hell is this!?

Monty python holy grail?

Damn, it must be a long time since I saw this. I don't remember a black & white scene

I don't think it is monty looking again, but it's not black and white just not very saturated there is green moss on the floor

It's from Night of the Lepus.

It's why I love riding through woodland so much.

(I don't think it's from Night of the Lepus, but Google thinks it is)

I have a bike from both of those companies. Both fine, though obviously make sure you check the thing carefully once it arrives.

I took a shitload of pics of the bikes coming out of the boxes so I could prove that any issues were like it from day one.

Ah, how come?

For one, a softer seat can be worse in the long run. Your 'sit bones' will sink into it and this will create pressure points from the padding forming around them.

Additionally the more you have between your butt and the seat the more potential for friction. Bike shorts/bibs have a minimal amount of fabric and, if you size properly, create a constant contact so there isn't much shifting. Gel pads shift and move which then allows for clothing to catching under. All this can result in saddle sores.

Draper

For one, a softer seat can be worse in the long run. Your 'sit bones' will sink into it and this will create pressure points from the padding forming around them.

Additionally the more you have between your butt and the seat the more potential for friction. Bike shorts/bibs have a minimal amount of fabric and, if you size properly, create a constant contact so there isn't much shifting. Gel pads shift and move which then allows for clothing to catching under. All this can result in saddle sores.

Ah, fair enough. I have a boney ass and those points just ache nearing the last portion of my 30 mile rides.

I guess I'll just stop being a pussy :/

Ah, fair enough. I have a boney ass and those points just ache nearing the last portion of my 30 mile rides.

I guess I'll just stop being a pussy :/

They'll condition over time, but there is no one stop solution for bike seats. I've tried at least 5 or 6 different seats over the last year.

Your saddle could most definitely be shit btw... but the answer isn't a seat cover. See if you can get a trial saddle from your local bike shop.

(They're usually bright yellow so people don't end up just keeping them!)

Also if you can post a side profile picture of your bike where we can see the full set up. We might be able to help a small amount just from looking at a picture

Top Bottom