• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original version of Doom 3 can no longer be individually purchased on Steam

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No decent manual either I take it? I know Valve didn't bother with Half Life 2, or not for very long actually. Come to think of it, I guess they were leading the "ditch manuals!" initiative all along, though in their case they were actively going digital and their games weren't exactly so complicated they NEEDED them, not until Dota 2 anyway.

Another weird thing: they don't sell Final Doom individually. Of all the games to do it with, at least Doom 3 has the excuse of a newer version, but this isn't even bundled with BFG unlike Doom 1/2.
There's a nice small color manual and a keyboard reference card, it's nice enough I guess, you don't need much more for Doom 3.

I realized my version maybe be different to his though, since it's of the few times it's a fully translated to Greek box & manual.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Holy shit @ those comparison pics

Jesus!

Silent Hill HD Remix 2.0 Confirmed!

Alexios

I only see one comparison shot and the difference doesn't seem great considering one is more close up so the wall textures could be the same but look better further away...

MNC

I only see one comparison shot and the difference doesn't seem great considering one is more close up so the wall textures could be the same but look better further away...

* Dynamic lighting is completely gone from flashlight

* The so called technical/gameplay design choice of the flashlight being a seperate item/weapon is gone (you can now carry the flashlight in combination with a weapon, could not do that before)

Two of the biggest changes/flaws imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_IBimiQwRc&feature=youtu.be&a

Comparison video I found.

Alexios

Ah well, that's bad then. Flashlight with weapons thing I'm ok with, but it should be an option, perhaps reserved for additional playthroughs (it's not like scares work more than once through).

MNC

I have to note that the rest of the games looks pretty well upgraded textures and model polygons (bumpmaps only?) The game seems a bit lighter, though. Take that as you will.

Polk

I'm confused. Did anyone expected Bethesda to offer two versions of the same game on Steam for sale?

Berto

Glad I bought the original DOOM 3 on Steam years ago, feels good man =) Still, this is a dick move, but understandble I guess, id wants to sell it for a higher price with BFG edition.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Taking a closer look: to be honest, wanting a series like Call of Duty to collapse may be the most justified case of wanting such a thing to happen to a series you never cared about. It's not even a case of "how dare people like what I don't like?", hell, you can LOVE it but recognize it's become a problem with nearly every major developer seeing this audience and going after them, at least partially, at the expense of those who don't need constant action/instant gratification in their games. Should CoD collapse it could potentially invoke a revolution in the industry, although for better or worse is anybody's guess.

id wouldn't exist today if they hadn't; RAGE would have ended them. Before you say, "okay so not Bethesda then!" Well, who else is there?

Activision? EA?

Yes indeed. It's such a shame to see id of all people be hit by this phenomenon of publisher influencing trying to chase CoD.

Granted I think this topic is thread worthy on its own, but any FPS released now must compete with CoD and Halo. Moreso CoD than Halo, as publishers see that money and want that. Which is what they are in the business to do. iD which essentially created the genre really can't compete with those numbers with their traditional gameplay model. Which really sucks, a it is a lot of fun. I won't be the one to say CoD sucks, as for what it does, it's pretty good. But, it sets a precedent for other studios to follow that may not want to create the same type of game, and get negative comparisons as a result. It'd be great of we could have both, but sadly we really can't. Ideally, I'd love to see CoD segmented into its own multiplayer focus, let me pay $25.00 for a multiplayer only "pack" and then another $25.00 if I want to play a single player game. I haven't picked up a CoD title since black ops, as I was essentially paying $60 for a map pack update. I won't do that anymore. I would love to play the next iteration of Zombies with BO2 but I won't pay $60 to do that.

Eh, I'm sure they'll put it back up at some point, something like doom 3 classic, or original doom 3 trilogy. In the meantime people have had what, 8 or 7 years to purchase it. I doubt many new buyers would have taken the classic version anyway.

Eusis

I won't be the one to say CoD sucks, as for what it does, it's pretty good. But, it sets a precedent for other studios to follow that may not want to create the same type of game, and get negative comparisons as a result.
Honestly, I've enjoyed it too, but it's FAR from what I want from every damn game, especially as games like Dark Souls or Bioshock are far more entertaining for me. It's like seeing burgers do well and every business deciding they MUST sell burgers! Even though quite a few people would rather have subs, burritos, maybe even pasta way more from a food joint.

And hell, with how popular it is "collapsing" could just be having sales plummet down to a stable 3-5 million, enough to be lucrative but not so much as to be the one guiding force of the industry, just A force. Halo had a huge impact on shooters but it was nothing like this, and openworld sandboxes following GTA had some growing pains before maturing to their current state.

Darklord

Banned
It's not shit...just not a complete upgrade.

No graphical options, no subtitles, brightened the game, can use flash light anytime, no dynamic lighting off the light. They ripped the atmosphere out of a game that was all about atmosphere and left a sloppy seconds PC port.

Great read. It seems you are right. Though never addressed specifically, in all reality iD(and everyone else) has to live in a CoD era.

You were absolutely right. Thanks for mentioning it. What specifically does Dark Mod do that draws you towards it? I've never seen it myself.

It's very reminiscent of Thief 2; fan made missions, so not all of them are that great. It looks really awesome and controls almost identically like Thief. Leans (even forward) , crouching/walking speeds, all the arrows, great atmosphere/sound, etc. It may be a bit lackluster regarding story, but there are a few really solid missions available. I don't think it's necessarily trying to maintain/explore Thief lore, rather just captures the feeling of playing the games incredibly well.

NBtoaster

No graphical options, no subtitles, brightened the game, can use flash light anytime, no dynamic lighting off the light. They ripped the atmosphere out of a game that was all about atmosphere and left a sloppy seconds PC port.

It has options, and is fully tweakable through a cfg file. Anytime flashlight is a good thing, and the original didn't have subtitles either.

No flashlight shadows is really the only noticable change for the worse.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
To be clear, if one previously purchased DOOM III, can it be downloaded individually from the BFG edition (especially if I don't buy the remake)?

Because eight years and two months was the golden purchase period for you?

But with that said isn't the whole point of this thread a bit overblown?

I'd imagine that any pc gamer who wanted the og game would have it by now.

Not being able to buy it sucks but I doubt it's really going to affect the titles sales at this point.

Eusis

To be clear, if one previously purchased DOOM III, can it be downloaded individually from the BFG edition (especially if I don't buy the remake)?
If you don't buy BFG? Absolutely.

If you DO buy BFG? I don't know, I have to hope so.

Not being able to buy it sucks but I doubt it's really going to affect the titles sales at this point.
It's more the principle of the thing, and it tends to be one of the disadvantages of digital. Though admittedly this IS a unique case, usually the worst we get is something like Plants vs Zombies replacing some visuals due to rights problems, not a wholly distinct versions with significant enough differences.

StuBurns

Banned

I don't like it for the same reason I don't like that George Lucas is hiding the original versions of Star Wars in some bunker somewhere.

This is not the first time this has happened on Steam, it's just the biggest. Even worse, some games have literally been replaced. Not only can you not buy the original versions of Broken Sword, if you already had, you can't get them.

Grief.exe

One isn't closer than the other. Its because you can't change the fov in bfg edition. That's why you get that zoomed in look.

They figured it out later by adding in a couple lines to the INI, but probably not before those screenshots.

I was actually one of those people looking to buy doom 3 on steam. I lost all my discs and was looking to replace them, $10 at the last summer sale was too much for me though.
Honestly this really is promoting piracy. Anytime you increase the price, barrier to entry to getting a product will increase the piracy.
I can tell you that I will not buy the bfg edition and I will not buy the id pack. I want to play through doom 3 again.
There really isn't much of an option here. I don't even put DVD drives in my builds anymore. So potentially I could pirate a copy and buy the physical copy. But why not cut out the middleman and the shipping costs?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This is just a bad, poorly-thought out move by Bethesda/id.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
It's very reminiscent of Thief 2; fan made missions, so not all of them are that great. It looks really awesome and controls almost identically like Thief. Leans (even forward) , crouching/walking speeds, all the arrows, great atmosphere/sound, etc. It may be a bit lackluster regarding story, but there are a few really solid missions available. I don't think it's necessarily trying to maintain/explore Thief lore, rather just captures the feeling of playing the games incredibly well.

Awesome to here. I was literally playing Thief 2 a few days ago, as I needed another dose of emergent gameplay after playing Dishonored. I absolutely will check this out.

Eusis

Having Thriller-era Michael Jackson as a zombie is a harmless joke while he's still alive, but a rather more tasteless one after he's died.
Well, immediately after anyway. After a few years pass I don't see that kind of thing being THAT bad, though this does highlight the unique nature of patchable PC games keeping you from having that unique version.

Eusis

That's missing the point, you have to buy those.
This is actually a really good reason for why it's nice to have GOG as a supplementary source for DD purchases. At worst you'll still have the installer you downloaded, but in cases like this you get BOTH versions, even if it's the original as an extra with the Director's Cut. It's the annoying thing with Steam, if a game updates it updates, and there's nothing you can do about it, even the forcing off of auto patching seems to only apply to background downloads, not allowing a game to stay in the same state to not mess things up as it'll just attempt patching then.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I think the only reason, and it really is the only reason that I didn't pick up BFG edition is that it didn't have the Xbox co-op. I had a lot of fun with that upon original release and I'd love to play it with my brother, but I can't. O well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the only reason, and it really is the only reason that I didn't pick up BFG edition is that it didn't have the Xbox co-op. I had a lot of fun with that upon original release and I'd love to play it with my brother, but I can't. O well.

Yeah, the fact that they didn't bother to add in what mods for the PC version and the OG Xbox release originally had is definitely an interest killer. It was a great opportunity.

antitrop

OH FUCK NO. It's shit like this that leads people to feel vindicated in piracy.

I would expound upon my outrage and feelings, but I don't want to get banned for excessive vulgarity.

this is only condoning piracy. Bad move ID. The harder you make to download the original the worse it is for people who enjoyed the original incarnation.

Isn't Doom 3 an open source title now? I'm not the most technical person, but surely you could just download that from github or wherever, compile and play?

Anyway, i'm so glad I managed to bag it on Steam before this crap happened (I can still download it right, even if it's not available to buy?). I can't live without Sikkmod and Wulfen textures..

antitrop

The people who can't mod the original D3 might give a shit. It's crazy how good the og D3 looks(modded) in comparison to the new BFG edition.
Without trying to devolve into a circlejerk, they're completely different games. Like, you have to physically push your eyeballs back into your skull after seeing modded Doom 3 shots.

antitrop

Doom III was a superb 8 to 10 hour game...that was needlessly and tediously stretched to 15+ hours.
I can make this same exact statement in regards to way too many other games.

For narrative based non-RPGs I feel like the sweet spot is around 10 hours. After that I just stop caring and my eyes glaze over, leads to plenty of unfinished games that I really liked or ultimately negative impressions of a game I otherwise would have praised after playing.

bdouble

With the coming release of BFG as a purel business point of view it seems pretty redundant to offer both titles.

Too fucking bad if you havent bought a 10 year old game yet. Track down a physical copy. Or just get the newer version. Mos people wont know the difference or care.

Top Bottom