• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

34,000 pieces of Wii U software were sold in the UK in January (incl. NintyLand)

It's no coincidence that now most people in the UK can have access to 100mb+ broadband speeds, game sales are dying out.

You are joking of course.

Please, no-one take this post seriously. the number of people with 100mb+ broadband speeds isn't very high and out of those, the majority who do have it are often traffic managed due to how poor and restricting the usage limits are.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
As long as Japan's 3rd parties are still making games for it, that's all that matters to me.

Well, I should clarify I include US divisions of Japanese headquarted publishers in "US".

I know hardly any executives or production people based in Japan though (and they hardly attend DICE anyway).

AzaK

I figured. Nintendo's only going to really be able to get a hand with Japanese studios. This is why they're willing to bring over more Japanese IP on 3DS, and want to do more collaborations. Nintendo is banking on the Japanese game industry for their platforms.

Let's hope that works.

I hope not. I have almost zero interest in most of what comes from Japan.

CLEEK

Well, I should clarify I include US divisions of Japanese headquarted publishers in "US".

I know hardly any executives or production people based in Japan though (and they hardly attend DICE anyway).

At least the WiiU has Dakko Dakko developing for it! Console sales redeemed.

Saty

Maybe spin it to new topic.

UK retailers call for a Wii U price cut: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/retail-calls-for-wii-u-price-cut-and-new-strategy/0110982

“Wii U has not caught the public’s imagination yet,” Tesco games buying manager Jonathan Hayes told MCV.

"We need a killer app to drive sales, and a big marketing push to clearly communicate what Wii U is all about – it will probably be better to focus on the premium edition to do this.”

Sainsbury’s games buying manager Gurdeep Hunjan added: “A new strategy needs to be communicated and launched for Easter, the school holidays, the summer holidays and beyond

“A price drop on the console or extremely competitive bundle options to encourage consumer take-up would be ideal,” said Grainger Gamers’ commercial director Simon Peck.

Nick Whitehead, founder of Xbite, added: “Both the machine and software prices are too high to compete. The price point needs looking at but this alone will not fix the issue.”

Barkman Computers’ Nick Elliot said: “Lower prices should be led by Nintendo and publishers – not left to retail to discount down to the optimum price point.”

“Third-party support will be vital over the coming months, especially as triple-A Nintendo launches are so infrequent,” said Games Centre MD Robert Lindsay.

Gameseek MD Stephen Staley disagrees: “I don’t think Nintendo can rely on anyone other than themselves to get the most out of Wii U. I hope they can do it.”

A full analysis of retail demands for Wii U will be in next week’s issue of MCV, available on Thursday, February 21st.

Jindujun

Neo Member
So I did a few calculations with these figures.

Total sales Jan 2012 - 2778
Total sales Jan 2013 - 2111

Market decrease of 26%

Now let's look at the detail.

Nintendo vs non-Nintendo:

Total Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2012 - 999k
Total non-Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2012 - 1779k

Total Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2013 - 467k
Total non-Nintendo platform sales in Jan 2013 - 1644k

Nintendo YoY decrease - 53.3%
Non-Nintendo YoY decrease - 7.6%
Non-Nintendo YoY decrease consoles only - 3.5%

So, is it the UK market that's dead, or Nintendo that's dead in the UK?

I hope this myth that gaming is dead in the UK ceases to exist, it's Nintendo that are in serious decline. A new generation of consoles from Sony and MS would more than fix the current problems for their own decline.

I dont argue at all with your numbers as they tell the truth.
However, is it fair against Nintendo to say they should keep 50% of the total market always?
I mean, right now they have roughly 1/3rd according to your numbers, while that IS a decrease it's still one third of a market with three console platforms, right?
Granted they should have more competing with older consoles but still...

Khrno

I dont argue at all with your numbers as they tell the truth.
However, is it fair against Nintendo to say they should keep 50% of the total market always?
I mean, right now they have roughly 1/3rd according to your numbers, while that IS a decrease it's still one third of a market with three console platforms, right?
Granted they should have more competing with older consoles but still...

But Nintendo have 4 platforms in the Market, Sony have 3 and MS have 1. That's the disparity and the problem for Nintendo.

Top Bottom