• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sonic the Hedgehog Live-Action Film you've all been dreaming of is finally real

robo6gamt.gif

#masterplan

MAtgS

Hm, Sonic hooking up with the human girl in the sequel or hairy CG Princess Sally? Decisions decisions.

Lijik

Just saw on tumblr that Sonic apparently jumps past the wide screenbars
tumblr_inline_mgfub8kZAu1qf6e14.png

Sonic doesnt have time for your celluloid rules jabronis

KalBalboa

Banned
Good for a fan film, I applaud them.

Regardless, I still winced several times throughout.

Yeah... the sound editing was pretty below par and the script wasn't anything to write home about, but it was cute. That's probably the best way to describe it: cute.

It's a hit-bait of a fan film (which all are) with that last 10% of polish needed to make it really worth sitting through.The cameos were smile inducing but the constant chroma keying and weird casting and poor acting (aside from Robotnik) leave me doubting many will make it through the first 2 minutes of "look, I have a guy who can do basic CG." I realize I sound like a major hater typing this, but all in all I bet there are people who will enjoy this. It's an ok, not solid, effort.

KalBalboa

Banned
Every fandom is horrible.

I used to think the Ghostbuster fandom was tolerable for a good two years until I realized how incestually insane the entirety of it was becoming. People dropping 10-$20,000 on Ecto-cars instead of moving out of their parents' houses... yeesh.

Epcott

Mock trailer made me feel bad for White. He sounds like a tired Sonic burned out on heroin now.

Well at least... it had better effects than a SyFy original movie?

KalBalboa

Banned
I think the effects were pretty above par for a fan film, we have to give them that. Their implementation wasn't super strong though, particularly when it came to compositing and sound design. I never felt any oomph with the effects and the editing of them wasn't exciting.

Davey Cakes

Something tells me that Robotnik gif is going to be used in topics about hot women. Perhaps the Jack Nicholson gif has competition!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The combination of inadequate character animations and the fur on the character model itself makes for a rather poor model.

For the record, I didn't like this thing at all.

IrishNinja said:
see now i gotta see this
You should! The music's really good.

It was surprisingly good until sonic appeared. The model and animation of sonic is horrible, too bad, because jaleel white's voice makes him more endearing than the modern videogame one.

Robotnik was awesome though.

Also meh at moebius not having loopings and strange nature, nothing that good cgi modellers couldnt make right and natural.
EDIT: Well at the end there where some loopings and sonic vegetation lol

A cool cartoon movie that wouldnt try to be serious would have been better.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
LittleKuriboh offered a drinking game when watching this.
Take a shot whenever there's a cameo, whenever someone says "Blue Blur" or when Sonic's mouth doesn't match up to his lines.

EDarkness

Heh, for a fan made video, it wasn't bad. Of course a higher budget and better actors would make it better, but I doubt very seriously these guys are going after awards. Still, I was expecting total crap, but it was watchable and the nods to Sonic canon were funny. Not something people are supposed to take seriously. Music is cool, too.

BatDan

You would be drunk 2 minutes in if only for the cameos alone.

There's at least four. Brentalfloss in the crowd, James Rolfe on the TV, Doug Walker as that soldier Sonic saves, and Stuttering Craig around 7:07 in.
And that's not counting Egoraptor and Kirbopher doing the voices of a couple robots.

The special effects were pretty good for a fan film. The red robots in the forest, more specifically. Cameos were neat. Otherwise I've already forgotten it.

I wish Sega had enough money to make their own shorts.

The CG studio they use makes some pretty charming stuff, that Night of the Werehog short was great.

The worst part for me was how Sonic moved. It was janky, unnatural and physics didn't apply to fall speeds, bouncing off stuff, etc. Plus at the end he was going through that zone very slowly, especially around that loop in first person.

Plus his mouth, why don't animators work on that more?

BatDan

Worse than

SOnic+2.png

Nah..... not that bad.

Ooooh, now I get why Sonic's lips barely synced up. It wasn't due to incompetence, it was a tribute to this game and how the lip sync was really bad there too.

Pfffffffffft hahaahahahaha

Top Bottom