• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Trogdor1123

Do we expect this newest generation of CPUs to last as long as previous ones? The 2500k last forever as a capable cpu, will the next gen progress as slowly as well? I'm wondering as if they likely will it may make more sense to focus less on cost and more on cores and features for my next build.

Smokey

So I'm thinking about getting a GSYNC monitor but should I just wait for the HDR versions later this year or will they be too expensive? My budget is around $600.

Too expensive. The ASUS HDR monitor is probably going to be north of 1.5k, with the Acer version maybe a few hundred cheaper.

Too expensive. The ASUS HDR monitor is probably going to be north of 1.5k, with the Acer version maybe a few hundred cheaper.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info, I'll just pick up one of the gsync monitors available now. I'm looking for a 1440p monitor. Any suggestions? I heard the cheaper ones have a TN panel, does it look a lot different from IPS?

Sarcasm

Buying and shipping a GPU from the states is still cheaper for I and I noticed that EVGA has more options.

How is the hybrid version? Especially the FTW hybrid? I live in Taiwan so wonder if that is a better choice for cooling.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Your Current Specs: Completely fresh, replacing a 2011 MBP
Budget: ~$1000(can go higher, would be nice if it could be less) currently in Central Florida
Main Use: Not sure how to gauge it, but I want it's primary use to be graphic design (Adobe Suite, blender, etc.) Gaming would be nice, but for now it's a bonus.
Monitor Resolution: I currently have an old 1080p monitor, thinking of replacing after the build is complete.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Like I said before, graphic design programs would be the primary, if any games it would be older stuff in my backlog on steam
Looking to reuse any parts?: Anything I can, but at the moment I think it's mostly fresh
When will you build?: I'd like it within the next 2 months, I know prices can fluctuate and it'd be nice to take advantage of that.
Will you be overclocking?: I want to say no.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually looking to make a PC and get a decent laptop for this stuff since I do a lot of mobile work, but I want to build a PC to help prevent me from having to rebuild every time something goes wrong with the system. Thank you!

Smokey

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info, I'll just pick up one of the gsync monitors available now. I'm looking for a 1440p monitor. Any suggestions? I heard the cheaper ones have a TN panel, does it look a lot different from IPS?

There's panels from Dell, Acer, and Asus. I think Samsung is getting into it as well with their 2017 monitors. TN panels tend to be quicker, but colors aren't as good, nor is the PQ from an angle.

I personally use the 1st gen ROG Swift PG278Q (TN) and am fine with it.

I haven't upgraded my PC in years besides a recent RMA I had for a video card.

I currently have a i7 2600k and a R9 380X that I'm looking at upgrading. Current budget is maybe $600-700 Canadian.
What would make the most sense to upgrade? CPU + Motherboard or a new GPU.
I game at 1080 so getting to 4K quality isn't needed. I'm not against getting an NVIDIA gpu I've just always used AMD.

It may be time for a CPU+Mobo upgrade, although if you can wait a bit and the performance is solid you could conceivably go with Ryzen 5. Given the price you could stretch those dollars far enough for a new CPU, new mobo and new GPU.

So I'm thinking about getting a GSYNC monitor but should I just wait for the HDR versions later this year or will they be too expensive? My budget is around $600.

Given that Gsync monitors are already pretty expensive, I doubt the HDR versions will be within your budget. Plus we don't even know when they're coming :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Do we expect this newest generation of CPUs to last as long as previous ones? The 2500k last forever as a capable cpu, will the next gen progress as slowly as well? I'm wondering as if they likely will it may make more sense to focus less on cost and more on cores and features for my next build.
I cant see why not unless stuff starts going hardcore multi threaded in 3-5 years. CPUs really haven't been that limiting and now AMD is close enough to Intel in a lot more titles.
Buying and shipping a GPU from the states is still cheaper for I and I noticed that EVGA has more options.

How is the hybrid version? Especially the FTW hybrid? I live in Taiwan so wonder if that is a better choice for cooling.
Which GPU? You might want a vendor that does TW warranty over eVGA? GPUs are all fine, go for cheapest with non-stock cooling imo.
Your Current Specs: Completely fresh, replacing a 2011 MBP
Budget: ~$1000(can go higher, would be nice if it could be less) currently in Central Florida
Main Use: Not sure how to gauge it, but I want it's primary use to be graphic design (Adobe Suite, blender, etc.) Gaming would be nice, but for now it's a bonus.
Monitor Resolution: I currently have an old 1080p monitor, thinking of replacing after the build is complete.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Like I said before, graphic design programs would be the primary, if any games it would be older stuff in my backlog on steam
Looking to reuse any parts?: Anything I can, but at the moment I think it's mostly fresh
When will you build?: I'd like it within the next 2 months, I know prices can fluctuate and it'd be nice to take advantage of that.
Will you be overclocking?: I want to say no.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually looking to make a PC and get a decent laptop for this stuff since I do a lot of mobile work, but I want to build a PC to help prevent me from having to rebuild every time something goes wrong with the system. Thank you!
I think you go with the Great build, 16GB RAM, Ryzen 1700X, and a GA-AB350-GAMING 3, try to fit in a 500GB SSD as well, and you'll probably want a bigger HDD. I put the 1700X over 1700 since you'll do so much rendering the base clock bump is worth it if you really won't overclock.
If you OC though on a Ryzen 1700 you get a free cooler, and you can use a Z370 motherboard to OC to 3.6/3.7Ghz vs the 1700X 3.4
Ok thanks for the replies! I'll look into a SSD as well.

My components are mainly stuff that came with an HP put together PC that I got at best buy in like 2009 so I'll try and answer that questionnaire as best I can.

- Your Current Specs: CPU AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor 2.60 GHz and my graphics are AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series. I have 8GB RAM but idk what kind same with motherboard and PSU.
- Budget: 700-800 tops would be best I think and I live in the US.
- Main Use: Gaming and General usage would both be a 5. Don't do any video editing or emulation or things like htat.
- Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1080p don't plan on getting a monitor anytime soon, but id like to stick with a 1080p monitor for price.
- List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: FF14 is the main game i play so that has to run well. Civ and maybe GW2 would be good too. I don't mind 30fps. While 60 is nice its not the end all be all. Don't need any of that other stuff.
- Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't plan on reusing anything except mouse and keyboard.
- When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait? Would like to build it soon, I have a friend who can help, my old PC is frustrating me so I'd like to move on.
- Will you be overclocking?: Not now, maybe in the future tho so i guess yes?
Reuse your PSU and case if you can, go with the Great build.

Sarcasm

Which GPU? You might want a vendor that does TW warranty over eVGA? GPUs are all fine, go for cheapest with non-stock cooling imo.

EVGA warranty works regardless where you buy it. Still cheaper to buy and ship from the states.

I am looking at the FTW and FTW Hybrid. There is some copper cooling one but I don't know how well that works.

So with the new CPU incoming I'm wondering about several things.

1. Should I reinstall Windows? I know it's necessary when you change motherboards, but I'm still thinking of resetting my Win10 installation to have a fresh start.

2. What's the best way to remove thermal paste from my current CPU and the AIO? I've heard nail polish remover works great, but I've also got isopropyl alcohol on hand. Does PCGAF recommend anything in particular? I've also seen some tutorials that recommend spreading a thin layer of thermal paste onto the plate where the waterblock comes into contact with the CPU. What do you think of this practice?

3. Optimising airflow: I've got a front intake fan, a side exhaust fan (I thought it would help exhaust the hot air from the GPU) and the AIO mounted in the back serving as an exhaust as well. Case is a Fractal R5. Should I change anything? Maybe repurpose the side exhaust as a bottom intake or a top exhaust for better airflow? I've got good dust filters on the case so I'm going with more exhaust than intake. My GPU is an MSI Armor 1080, which is one of those 3-fan AIBs. I know they're not supposed to be the best when using a watercooled CPU, but it's what I've got.

4. My AIO's fans get really loud at any speed over 50%. Is this normal? I've read reviews saying the fans on the Nepton 140XL aren't very loud, so I'm wondering whether there's an issue.

accx

So with the new CPU incoming I'm wondering about several things.

1. Should I reinstall Windows? I know it's necessary when you change motherboards, but I'm still thinking of resetting my Win10 installation to have a fresh start.

2. What's the best way to remove thermal paste from my current CPU and the AIO? I've heard nail polish remover works great, but I've also got isopropyl alcohol on hand. Does PCGAF recommend anything in particular? I've also seen some tutorials that recommend spreading a thin layer of thermal paste onto the plate where the waterblock comes into contact with the CPU. What do you think of this practice?

3. Optimising airflow: I've got a front intake fan, a side exhaust fan (I thought it would help exhaust the hot air from the GPU) and the AIO mounted in the back serving as an exhaust as well. Case is a Fractal R5. Should I change anything? Maybe repurpose the side exhaust as a bottom intake or a top exhaust for better airflow? I've got good dust filters on the case so I'm going with more exhaust than intake. My GPU is an MSI Armor 1080, which is one of those 3-fan AIBs. I know they're not supposed to be the best when using a watercooled CPU, but it's what I've got.

4. My AIO's fans get really loud at any speed over 50%. Is this normal? I've read reviews saying the fans on the Nepton 140XL aren't very loud, so I'm wondering whether there's an issue.

1. I'd do it but uncertain if it's necessary. If there's any issues after the new CPU that's probably were i would start (clean install windows i mean).

2. I've always just used paper. I guess there's a proper way to do it but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Isopropyl would be fine i guess but do not use acetone or nail polish remover, there's a chance it could damage it.

3. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/02/10/the-big-cooling-investigation/1
This is my go-to guide... albeit getting old. Push/Pull has been working for me. I dunno if there is a more optimal way with AIO's, never used them. I found them to be worse, noisier and more expensive than proper air cooling. I was super into quiet cooling a couple years ago so my system is all passive except my PSU.

4. Dunno... silentpcreview is your place if you wanna go down that rabbit hole. They have a big fan guide which ranks the quietest fans.
The site is terrible to navigate though, and i see it's not really updated any more. I guess overclock.net and reddit would be better places. Noise is subjective so i'd look for actual tests rather than recommendations from users. Over the years i've seen a multitude of recommendations that absolutely are not quiet. My setup was built to be able to use it in a bedroom and like i said, the PSU is the only thing that's making any noise (when idle).

GAF Help!

I need some advice ... I recently purchased an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard .. and the socket looks like the pic below. I don't know whether the Z170 socket should look like this or not.

I had the PC up and running OK last night ... but now when it turns on, it shows no picture. I reseated the CPU and tried again, and it started just getting past the 'Press DEL' on boot and cycling through boot again

I reseated again and I'm back to blank screen and nothing else.
I've reset the CMOS battery and changed monitors and cables and PCI Slots for the MSI 1070 I have .. still no joy.

So I just wonder if the dodgy looking PIN on the Motherboard is the issue?

Thanks ...

n

http://imgur.com/a/T07oG

EDIT: Image upload not working ... sorry

GAF Help!

I need some advice ... I recently purchased an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard .. and the socket looks like the pic below. I don't know whether the Z170 socket should look like this or not.

I had the PC up and running OK last night ... but now when it turns on, it shows no picture. I reseated the CPU and tried again, and it started just getting past the 'Press DEL' on boot and cycling through boot again

I reseated again and I'm back to blank screen and nothing else.
I've reset the CMOS battery and changed monitors and cables and PCI Slots for the MSI 1070 I have .. still no joy.

So I just wonder if the dodgy looking PIN on the Motherboard is the issue?

Thanks ...

n

http://imgur.com/a/T07oG

EDIT: Image upload not working ... sorry

Maybe I'm imagine things but there seems a bent pin ?

darksunpr

I need some guidance. I have a gtx 1060. A few months ago I was gifted a samsung 1080p monitor with freesync. Is it worth it to buy a rx 480 just for the freesync? And if its worth it, what rx 480 4gb or 8gb?

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I think you go with the Great build, 16GB RAM, Ryzen 1700X, and a GA-AB350-GAMING 3, try to fit in a 500GB SSD as well, and you'll probably want a bigger HDD. I put the 1700X over 1700 since you'll do so much rendering the base clock bump is worth it if you really won't overclock.
If you OC though on a Ryzen 1700 you get a free cooler, and you can use a Z370 motherboard to OC to 3.6/3.7Ghz vs the 1700X 3.4

So this is what I selected: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wzbGNN

It looks pricier than I thought, but I don't intend to buy everything at once, hopefully then I'll save a little more if something goes on sale. Is there any glaring flaws to this? I'd imagine I need to get some thermal paste and this doesn't include the HDD. Also, any recommendations for wifi? I might do a little USB one, but I'd I can get something to free up a port that'd be beneficial. Same with Bluetooth.

Thank you, again!

What's the deal with memory prices?

I'm hoping to stretch my gear for another year and was looking to buy some RAM to give me a bit more breathing room. I've got 8 gigs in there that I bought back in 2011 for $54. I go to look to bump it up to 16 and it's still over $100. I would have expected that to come down in the intervening six years. Does memory share factory capacity with flash NAND or something?

What's the deal with memory prices?

I'm hoping to stretch my gear for another year and was looking to buy some RAM to give me a bit more breathing room. I've got 8 gigs in there that I bought back in 2011 for $54. I go to look to bump it up to 16 and it's still over $100. I would have expected that to come down in the intervening six years. Does memory share factory capacity with flash NAND or something?

I suspect it does. RAM prices do tend to fluctuate quite a bit though.

This thread is an amazing source of info. I've been hemming and hawing with the wife that I want to build a new computer to replace my almost decade old computer.

Existing:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.80 GHz
3 GB RAM
500 Gig HD
Intergrated GPU NVIDIA Geforce 6150E nForce 430
DVD Lightscribe (love this thing but no DL DVD media available)
Windows Vista

It was an HP computer I bought for $1500 back in 2007. I have the monitor which will move over to the new computer; HP w2207 1680 x 1050 60 Hz. We also have an external 5TB Seagate HD that will move to the new computer.

Here is what I am thinking of buying after reading the super handy build guide provided by the OP.

I am pricing and looking to build this computer from Memory Express here in Canada, so please understand on the pricing. www.memoryexpress.com As well, a few of the pieces are not in stock so I will be going to Memory Express today just to see when they will be restocking.

Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3 MicroATX Case, Black
ILC: 884102029745 SKU: MX64181
$69.99

Asus PRIME B250M-PLUS mATX w/ DDR4 2400, 8.0 Audio, Dual M.2, Gigabit LAN, CrossFireX, HDMI, USB 3.0
ILC: 889349598931 SKU: MX65026
$129.99

Intel Core™ i5-7500 Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 6MB Cache
ILC: 735858326193 SKU: MX64873
$269.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Dual Channel Kit (2x 8GB), Black
ILC: 843591069656 SKU: MX61978
$149.99

Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD, 250GB
ILC: 887276185309 SKU: MX64407
$179.99

Asus 16x Blu-ray DVD Writer
ILC: 886227418909 SKU: MX53820
$127.99

MSI Radeon RX 480 ARMOR 8G OC PCI-E w/ Dual HDMI, Dual DP, DVI
ILC: 824142135556 SKU: MX64241
$279.99

EVGA 600B 600W Bronze Power Supply
ILC: 843368025601 SKU: MX47882
$67.99

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (32 / 64 bit), USB Flash Drive
ILC: 885370909777 SKU: MX65092
$149.99

Sub Total: $1,425.91
GST 5% $71.30

Total:
$1,497.21

This computer will be used for light photo editing and enthusiast Illustrator/Drawing stuff and some gaming (mostly Steam). I have a four year old and an Xbox 360, and eventually I know he's going to want to game on the PC.

Am I going overboard? I do want to somewhat future proof the computer so I can run it for a decade like my old computer. I've been out of the loop with computer hardware for so long I figured I'd better post to get GAF's input.

I have no problem spending the money if it makes sense, but maybe I go with one of the cheaper builds. I did price out a $532 machine (Pentium G4400, 8GB Ram, GeForce GT710 1GB, Asus DVD Drive, may move the Lightscribe DVD over to save $22, 1TB HD), but when my wife didn't balk at the computer price above, I quickly threw that breakdown away. ;)

Thank you!

scitek

Just replaced my 2500K with a 7700K. My 2500K was dying, so it needed to be replaced regardless, but it's kind of hilarious how little the new CPU's actually improved performance in games. I did notice load times in games like Forza Horizon 3 were vastly improved, though. What else will I notice a big improvement in?

This computer will be used for light photo editing and enthusiast Illustrator/Drawing stuff and some gaming (mostly Steam). I have a four year old and an Xbox 360, and eventually I know he's going to want to game on the PC.

Am I going overboard? I do want to somewhat future proof the computer so I can run it for a decade like my old computer. I've been out of the loop with computer hardware for so long I figured I'd better post to get GAF's input.
If you can wait, you could probably do an AMD build with an R5 1600 ($220) or 1600X ($250), a B350 mobo (~$112, do NOT get an Asus board), and the rest of the components on that list and get equal/better performance. The R5s don't become available until April 11 though.

Also, expecting 10 years out of a PC is pushing it, unless you're playing indies and retro games primarily and ignoring AAA titles for the most part. My i5-3570K is almost 5 years old now and its showing its age, especially when it comes to the mobo feature set.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
Just replaced my 2500K with a 7700K. My 2500K was dying, so it needed to be replaced regardless, but it's kind of hilarious how little the new CPU's actually improved performance in games. I did notice load times in games like Forza Horizon 3 were vastly improved, though. What else will I notice a big improvement in?

I noticed my minimum frame rate go up significantly when I switch from my 2500k to 6700k. I do game at 1440p/144hz. An example is Black Ops 3 where my minimum used to be in the 80 range and after the upgrade, I was up to 110-120fps.

scitek

I noticed my minimum frame rate go up significantly when I switch from my 2500k to 6700k. I do game at 1440p/144hz. An example is Black Ops 3 where my minimum used to be in the 80 range and after the upgrade, I was up to 110-120fps.

Ah, I get ~150fps at Ultra settings in the Gears 4 benchmark in 1080p, but I'm gaming at 4K for the most part, so I didn't expect a huge improvement. My 2500K was literally crashing on me at times, so it was time.

If you can wait, you could probably do an AMD build with an R5 1600 ($220) or 1600X ($250), a B350 mobo (~$112, do NOT get an Asus board), and the rest of the components on that list and get equal/better performance. The R5s don't become available until April 11 though.

Also, expecting 10 years out of a PC is pushing it, unless you're playing indies and retro games primarily and ignoring AAA titles for the most part. My i5-3570K is almost 5 years old now and its showing its age, especially when it comes to the mobo feature set.

Any reason why you are against the Asus MB? I assumed because it was on the build list it was considered a reliable MB.

I can't really wait too much longer but April 11 isn't the end of the world.

As well, I am using 10 years as a ballpark as that's what I got out of my existing computer. And if I build this properly I can perhaps swap out for better parts down the road.

Thank you.

Any reason why you are against the Asus MB? I assumed because it was on the build list it was considered a reliable MB.

I can't really wait too much longer but April 11 isn't the end of the world.

As well, I am using 10 years as a ballpark as that's what I got out of my existing computer. And if I build this properly I can perhaps swap out for better parts down the road.

Thank you.

All I've heard are bad reports on the Asus boards, particularly the B350 Prime. I've seen a lot of people recommend Asrock's PRO4 and many happy Gigabyte Gaming 3 owners.

sleepnaught

Got Gigabit internet back in January and loving it. Right now, I have a super cheap N300 router I'm looking to replace. I have a 1,800 square foot single story home I'm looking to cover. What are the recommended gigabit routers for around $200ish?

Well, it's a CPU, so naturally the biggest gains will be in things that are CPU intensive. Some games will benefit from it because they are, but even then you're not going to see any major frame-rate jumps.

Time to splurge on a new video card :)

Just going to throw this out there now: I'll have a brand new, unopened Heatkiller IV Pro CPU water block (Intel) available for sale in about a week.

It's the copper/anthracite version which is not available at any U.S. vendors (at least none of the major ones). You can find it on Ebay but every listing is from a European seller.

Info: http://shop.watercool.de/HEATKILLER-IV-PRO-INTEL-processor-COPPER-AN/en

Fits socket 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2011-3

I paid $76 for the actual block (plus a shitload to ship from Germany) but will sell for $70 + shipping (I'm in Virginia). PM me.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is it a good time to upgrade the guts? I'm not getting the performance I want in some games, mostly CPU heavy ones. I have a GTX 970 but I'd like to get a new CPU, Mobo and RAM. I had a quick look and it would be £677, is this a good price? Is there likely to be a price drop any time soon? This is a considerable amount of money for me so if I can get a better deal soon I'd rather wait.

Megabat

Is it a good time to upgrade the guts? I'm not getting the performance I want in some games, mostly CPU heavy ones. I have a GTX 970 but I'd like to get a new CPU, Mobo and RAM. I had a quick look and it would be £677, is this a good price? Is there likely to be a price drop any time soon? This is a considerable amount of money for me so if I can get a better deal soon I'd rather wait.

Well, uh, what do you have now? If it's £677 to get a meaningful upgrade, then maybe you don't need it.

But for that amount of money (AMD Ryzen 7/Intel HEDT-money), it is a great time. In the three-or-four hundred range, it would be prudent to wait until April for 4/6-core AMD CPUs.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well, uh, what do you have now? If it's £677 to get a meaningful upgrade, then maybe you don't need it.

But for that amount of money (AMD Ryzen 7/Intel HEDT-money), it is a great time. In the three-or-four hundred range, it would be prudent to wait until April for 4/6-core AMD CPUs.

3570k, 8GB DDR3, P8Z77-V mobo. I have a 750w Corsair PSU which is fine.

Updawgs

Since I wasn't having any luck on laptop-gaf: how well would an i7-7700hq/16gb ddr4/1050 4gb laptop run WoW? Would it run well enough to drive an external 1080p 144hz gsync monitor? Thanks!

Kevyt

I am thinking of upgrading my GPU to game at 4k, and currently the card I'm eyeing is the 1080 ti. However, I am wondering if my current 2014 build would bottleneck the graphics card.

I have a 4790k with 16 gb's of DDR3. I am unsure if the CPU will be able to keep up with the 1080 ti at 4k. Are there any benchmarks comparing the 1080ti with the 4790k, 5700k, 6700k and the 7700k? It would be interesting to see.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I am thinking of upgrading my GPU to game at 4k, and currently the card I'm eyeing is the 1080 ti. However, I am wondering if my current 2014 build would bottleneck the graphics card.

I have a 4790k with 16 gb's of DDR3. I am unsure if the CPU will be able to keep up with the 1080 ti at 4k. Are there any benchmarks comparing the 1080ti with the 4790k, 5700k, 6700k and the 7700k? It would be interesting to see.

Is your cpu overclocked?

At 4K a 1080ti is weaker than a 1060 at 1080p. You wouldn't see anyone claiming a 4790k was holding back a 1060 especially overclocked. You'll be fine.

mitchlol

Placed my order for a new machine

16gb ram
Gtx 1080
G-sync monitor (only 24" 1080p)
I know crazy for using a 1080 at only 1080 resolution. Still should look butter smooth for a good long while

arigato

Willing to pay someone $20-33 to help me build a good gaming PC for my budget of $300-575, not willing to spend higher than $640. Message me and I can pay via Bitcoin or Paypal friends and Family. I only need the PC to be able to run Ori and The Blind Forest at Max settings 60 FPS. need something at the minimum slightly better than a GeForce GTX 550 Ti or Radeon HD 6770
Going to be playing only on 1920x1080, and based in US. I need this PC build to be as frugal as possible so used or refurbished parts is fine by me.

LilJoka

Willing to pay someone $20-33 to help me build a good gaming PC for my budget of $300-575, not willing to spend higher than $640. Message me and I can pay via Bitcoin or Paypal friends and Family. I only need the PC to be able to run Ori and The Blind Forest at Max settings 60 FPS. need something at the minimum slightly better than a GeForce GTX 550 Ti or Radeon HD 6770
Going to be playing only on 1920x1080, and based in US. I need this PC build to be as frugal as possible so used or refurbished parts is fine by me.

Advice is free right here.

Something to start off with
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 3 (Windowless) MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($45.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $475.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-18 04:13 EDT-0400

AMD RX470 might be a better option.

GAF, I'm confused... This Acer monitor looks to be a really good deal: 4K, 1ms response time, FreeSync and Display Port... but I'm reading mixed information on whether it's IPS or not.

On the Acer website it doesn't mention IPS at all: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.PR0EE.001

But on the eBuyer website it says:
"These displays deliver 1920x1080 Full HD resolution enhanced by IPS technology, for vivid images that look clear from any angle. You also get multiple display connectors to make it easy to connect any video source."

So which is it? Is it perhaps not 'true' IPS? It says panel type = TN, but then says it uses IPS technology?

laxu

Übermatik;232300347 said:
GAF, I'm confused... This Acer monitor looks to be a really good deal: 4K, 1ms response time, FreeSync and Display Port... but I'm reading mixed information on whether it's IPS or not.

On the Acer website it doesn't mention IPS at all: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.PR0EE.001

But on the eBuyer website it says:
"These displays deliver 1920x1080 Full HD resolution enhanced by IPS technology, for vivid images that look clear from any angle. You also get multiple display connectors to make it easy to connect any video source."

So which is it? Is it perhaps not 'true' IPS? It says panel type = TN, but then says it uses IPS technology?

I would trust the Acer site, the other one seems to have wrong product info. It's a TN panel, there are no 1ms response time IPS or VA panels. 8-bit or 10-bit TN panels are fine, often they just don't have wide gamut which will offend those who want exaggerated contrast "pop" despite being more accurate since most web and game content is sRGB.

laxu

CPU bound games like GTA V can show a big improvement. Even then I only noticed going from 3570K to 6600K that in 4K resolution as it was the difference between somewhat decent 30 fps vs solid 30 fps on a 980 Ti.

I would trust the Acer site, the other one seems to have wrong product info. It's a TN panel, there are no 1ms response time IPS or VA panels. 8-bit or 10-bit TN panels are fine, often they just don't have wide gamut which will offend those who want exaggerated contrast "pop" despite being more accurate since most web and game content is sRGB.

It's the colour representation that I'm most worried about to be honest. Though that Acer monitor would be great for gaming, my primary concern is digital art and rendering. I'd say I was best to look at IPS monitors only?

Top Bottom