• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

kubus

I've never played a RE game but this makes me want to play this game right now.

Incredibly impressive work, dude!

SystemBug

One thing that's always daunting about retexturing commercial games is that the way they UV map items is a head scratcher.

I can't event believe the amount of frustration your going through when your tackling this.

Your working at a steady pace and the results are looking fantastic.

chixdiggit

1-2 years of your free time? I don't want to sound mean, but you could teach yourself a new language and a new career in that amount of time.

No offence, but there is an extremely high probability you will not finish this, considering the insane estimate of a timeframe of 2 years.

Get a team.

yeah, you can pretty much learn how to texture stuff at the pro level in this amount of time. This project seems like an unnecessary waste of time and resources to me.

This is a waste of time OP. Work on game projects that way your work will mean something and can lead to something. This type of thing won't lead to anything. Go to tigsource or a similar site and look to contribute to projects. You have some ability, don't waste it on this because it won't mean anything. Anyone that tries to encourage him to waste time on this can fuck off and go waste their time doing this.

He could collaborate with other artists if he wants practice and in doing that build a portfolio that can lead to paying work. 2 years on something like this would be a waste of time imo and he would be limited in the type of texturing he is doing.

It's kind of sad to me how you guys do not understand the drive to do something like this. I hear the exact same kind of comments for a different type of ongoing project of my own.
Sometimes you just do things simply because that's what you want to do. Not because it makes sense.

I finally broke down and got a subscription to 3d.sk for human body / face textures... hopefully no one will chime in and say there are better free places online for that... :)

Have you tried collaborating with other texture artists who have modded RE4 to share assets?

What you've shown indicates you're doing a good job, but if the end result is your goal then maybe you should contact previous texture modders to see if you can share what they've created. “It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit” and all that.

Regardless good luck.
I've been in contact recently with a person by the name of Albert, who previously created texture mods for the original PC version of the game and we've decided to work together on this project. He recently shared some of his progress and I was very impressed. For example (work in progress shot):
shot.jpg
The awesome thing is that he lives in Spain and in a city Capcom did some of their photography for the original textures. Additionally, he was able to find a good number of the original artwork for the textures online. This is something I've haven't had very much success with at all (I started looking when I began thinking about the castle section especially).

He has the same vision for not deviating from the look and feel of the original source material wherever possible, and I'm excited we'll be working together.

Please note: This project is still going to take a LONG time. We're both thinking about a year or so, with no concrete date set for release.

Alienous

I've been in contact recently with a person by the name of Albert, who previously created texture mods for the original PC version of the game and we've decided to work together on this project. He recently shared some of his progress and I was very impressed. For example (work in progress shot):

The awesome thing is that he lives in Spain and in a city Capcom did some of their photography for the original textures. Additionally, he was able to find a good number of the original artwork for the textures online. This is something I've haven't had very much success with at all (I started looking when I began thinking about the castle section especially).

He has the same vision for not deviating from the look and feel of the original source material wherever possible, and I'm excited we'll be working together.

Please note: This project is still going to take a LONG time. We're both thinking about a year or so, with no concrete date set for release.

That's good to hear. Considering the results, which so far seem to be very impressive, a year doesn't seem like too much time. Definitely worth it for remastering a timeless classic.

Again, good luck.

Took way longer than I expected, but I finished the first Ganado's face texture. Learned a lot that will hopefully make future face textures go faster.

More shots at the blog.

Oh, and one extra tidbit - that's George Clooney's mustache. :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Took way longer than I expected, but I finished the first Ganado's face texture. Learned a lot that will hopefully make future face textures go faster.

More shots at the blog.

Oh, and one extra tidbit - that's George Clooney's mustache. :)

This is just me, but I feel like the texture looks and this may sound weird, too detailed?

The stuff like the bits in the skin feel out of place.

I actually think it may just be oversharpened.

In the first example I notice it most around his right cheek and on the second texture his forehead seems really oversharpened.

This is just me, but I feel like the texture looks and this may sound weird, too detailed?

In the first example I notice it most around his right cheek and on the second texture his forehead seems really oversharpened.
That's helpful - thank you. When you say right cheek, do you mean his right, or the one on the right? The lighter or the darker cheek? And for the forehead, do you also mean the hairline? Someone else also mentioned that his eyes in the second shot are too clean (though they *are* blue in the original) :) so I'm going to go in and add some hints of the las plagas in the white areas of the eyes.

Grief.exe

shot.jpg

That is some seriously impressive and detailed work!

I have a feeling humans/monsters/animals are some of the most difficult to do.

A-V-B

Looks really awesome.

Can I just point out one thing? This is me nitpicking, but it seems like an artistic decision, maybe.

The fur on Leon's coat, collar/sleeves... seems very smooth, not thick or dirty enough. Or comfy enough, strangely. Is that still a WIP?

Looks really awesome.

Can I just point out one thing? This is me nitpicking, but it seems like an artistic decision, maybe.

The fur on Leon's coat, collar/sleeves... seems very smooth, not thick or dirty enough. Or comfy enough, strangely. Is that still a WIP?
Hehe aside from humans, going back to the coat is something I keep putting off. I actually darkened the lining a bit a week ago, but never highlighted it in a post. I'll go back to the coat after I'm done with this section (more Ganados to redo) and before going to the next section). Thank you very much for the feedback!

A-V-B

Hehe aside from humans, going back to the coat is something I keep putting off. I actually darkened the lining a bit a week ago, but never highlighted it in a post. I'll go back to the coat after I'm done with this section (more Ganados to redo) and before going to the next section). Thank you very much for the feedback!

Ah, okay, cool. Thought so. Keep up the awesome work! I might buy the new RE4 just to one day use your textures :)

Grief.exe

Cris, can you speculate on why many of the textures just don't line up?

I've noticed the textures are placed on the geometry in an interesting way, but many of them just don't line up correctly.

031101.jpg

ss_f7cc9be5bc96569cad4072b938d4e6215e52b9ac.1920x1080.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's helpful - thank you. When you say right cheek, do you mean his right, or the one on the right? The lighter or the darker cheek? And for the forehead, do you also mean the hairline? Someone else also mentioned that his eyes in the second shot are too clean (though they *are* blue in the original) :) so I'm going to go in and add some hints of the las plagas in the white areas of the eyes.

I'm referring to his right cheek, the lighter one.

On the second image, I mean this area

Looking at the file though, it may actually be lossy JPEG compression. You should try uploading a lossless PNG version of the image to some website like Sta.sh or Flickr as that may show that what seems like overly sharpened texture work in your first example may actually be JPEG compression.

dhonk

Cris, can you speculate on why many of the textures just don't line up?

I've noticed the textures are placed on the geometry in an interesting way, but many of them just don't line up correctly.

031101.jpg

3D modeler here, seems like a poor UV map. crisdecuba, mind posting one of the UV maps? Just curious. :)

Some good progress to share:

Redid Leon's jacket - revised the pattern and now the color scheme more closely matches the original. Also darkened / dirtied up the collar more. It may not go far enough for some folks, but I hope it's considered an improvement:

Also took the scary step of redoing Leon's hair. The challenge is adding more detail without crossing over into something that'll have a weird moire pattern from normal distances. I think this preserves the look of the original, adds detail, but doesn't go too far:

And finally, I finished the first Ganado (his clothes, fixed his eyes, and added a bottom lip ):

I hope to finish the first gameplay section (right before you get to the village setpiece with the chainsaw guy) within the next week or so (all that's left are the three Ganados, which will go faster than the first -- the lower halves are basically pallate swaps, and I'm getting faster at redoing the faces), at which point I'll generate the files for the UHD version so you can play through it.

More shots of everything can be found at the blog.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Redid Leon's jacket - revised the pattern and now the color scheme more closely matches the original. Also darkened / dirtied up the collar more. It may not go far enough for some folks, but I hope it's considered an improvement:

Also took the scary step of redoing Leon's hair. The challenge is adding more detail without crossing over into something that'll have a weird moire pattern from normal distances. I think this preserves the look of the original, adds detail, but doesn't go too far:

And finally, I finished the first Ganado (his clothes, fixed his eyes, and added a bottom lip ):

I hope to finish the first gameplay section (right before you get to the village setpiece with the chainsaw guy) within the next week or so (all that's left are the three Ganados, which will go faster than the first -- the lower halves are basically pallate swaps, and I'm getting faster at redoing the faces), at which point I'll generate the files for the UHD version so you can play through it.

Ganado dude looks waaaay better!

Also, can I offer a recommendation?

The start screen in the game is actually just a fake screen rendered on top of the 3D world.

As a result, you can pause the game, use Dolphins built in free camera (enable it in graphics options) to move the camera to where you want to look and ensure it doesn't move, take a screenshot, enable your texture pack, and take another screenshot.

That way you can have two identical side by side images with the only difference being your new updated textures

Ganado dude looks waaaay better!

Also, can I offer a recommendation?

The start screen in the game is actually just a fake screen rendered on top of the 3D world.

As a result, you can pause the game, use Dolphins built in free camera (enable it in graphics options) to move the camera to where you want to look and ensure it doesn't move, take a screenshot, enable your texture pack, and take another screenshot.

That way you can have two identical side by side images with the only difference being your new updated textures
That's a GREAT tip - thank you! I danced with the Ganado for a while until I could get his face into the right position. :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's a GREAT tip - thank you! I danced with the Ganado for a while until I could get his face into the right position. :)

You could also make a lot of the textures that you see in the start screen transparent so you have less to clog the screen up with as well.

Here, I just grabbed the textures from my folder, this should make as much of the start screen/hud transparent as I think I was able to reasonably get rid of if you'd like it.

GHG

Gold Member
Crisdecuba, this is awesome work, well done & keep it up.

Just a tip from my side, have a vision and stick to it (you seem to be doing well so far). There are a lot of opinions on the internet, some which will be good for what you're looking to achieve and some which will be bad for it. The latter can cause you to go off track, demotivate you and derail your project. Unfortunately you can't please everyone! Take opinions with a pinch of salt dude.

Crisdecuba, this is awesome work, well done & keep it up.

Just a tip from my side, have a vision and stick to it (you seem to be doing well so far). There are a lot of opinions on the internet, some which will be good for what you're looking to achieve and some which will be bad for it. The latter can cause you to go off track, demotivate you and derail your project. Unfortunately you can't please everyone! Take opinions with a pinch of salt dude.

Thanks man - I agree. I'll just keep coming back to whether this or that is in line with what seems to be the intent of the original artists. :)

so goddamn good. thanks for taking on board our pointers on Leon's jacket. I know it was one of the very few things I had previously complained about in your work. Leon's hair is a really big one, I can see why you were hesitant, but to my eyes, you nailed it.

when I look at the pictures in quote tags, they almost look like the exact same textures, until I click on them so them at full resolution, and all the detail fills in. it's like comparing DVD shots to Blu-Ray shots, which is how it should be, imho.

what makes your project valid, is that you have a different approach to all the other HD texture packs for this game. I eagerly await the completion on your project, and if you keep making this kind of steady progress, before too long we will have that definitive version of RE4 at long last.

A version ready to withstand the future.

I look forwards to trying your work so far, in game, for myself, in the coming weeks.

Here are some of the first textures updated using Albert's materials.

More shots of other updated textures at the blog.

Also, Alo81 - I can't seem to get Free Look to work correctly. For one, when I hit Pause and it brings up Leon's suitcase, I can't really move the camera. And when I use Free Look in-game, I can only rotate the camera - the WASD controls for Free Look don't seem to work. Is it usually kinda funky to get it to do what you want? Is there something I'm missing? Thanks again for the help and advice.

Oh, and the first official demo video is coming -- it's just a huge file (14GB) so I think it won't be until tomorrow that it's done uploading to Youtube...

so goddamn good. thanks for taking on board our pointers on Leon's jacket. I know it was one of the very few things I had previously complained about in your work. Leon's hair is a really big one, I can see why you were hesitant, but to my eyes, you nailed it.

when I look at the pictures in quote tags, they almost look like the exact same textures, until I click on them so them at full resolution, and all the detail fills in. it's like comparing DVD shots to Blu-Ray shots, which is how it should be, imho.

what makes your project valid, is that you have a different approach to all the other HD texture packs for this game. I eagerly await the completion on your project, and if you keep making this kind of steady progress, before too long we will have that definitive version of RE4 at long last.

A version ready to withstand the future.

I look forwards to trying your work so far, in game, for myself, in the coming weeks.
Thank you very much for the encouragement!!

This is great work. At first i thought it would be a waste of time with UHD coming out, but then i played UHD and alot of the textures really leave alot to be desired :/
This work is really great, and better yet, faithful to the original textures.

MaLDo

Here are some of the first textures updated using Albert's materials.

Awesome progress. Now levels are more accurate and now there isn't a lack of contrast. The new brick texture is a perfect replica and the work on the face is fantastic. Congrats.

A-V-B

Damn, that's spiffy!

Could you go further on Leon's jacket? Maybe. But it looks good now! Really, really good. At this point, it really would just be nitpicky aesthetic stuff, I think, to do too much more.

Slight point of interest on the eyes of the baddies --- Check out those thick rings around the irises. Part of that is, yeah, it's low res so they gotta stand out a bit more, but they're definitely part of an eye and make it look slightly more natural. Maybe just a hint of that dark ring, expanding out just a tiny bit from the edge of the blue? Just a bit more? Because there's a harsh jutting effect between the whites of the eye, makes it almost look slightly cardboardy or cartoony. A slightly, slightly more natural look would do wonders, I think.

And Albert's materials are stunning. He really is pulling this from the same sources Capcom did.

Top Bottom