• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 to stay as Wii U Exclusives

MrT-Tar

Wii U fans are Nintendo fans. Games like Bayonetta have no history of being successful on Nintendo platforms.

How is that a controversial conclusion?

I'm both a Nintendo and a WiiU fan. Regardless of that fact I loved Bayonetta and it is among my favourite games of the 7th gen. Don't I fit in to your logic?

games like bayonetta are not successful anywhere nowadays.

Plus,i don't see why a nintendo fan cannot like bayonetta..i'm a nintendo fan,and i ADORE bayonetta

And just to be clear,at the moment i don't have a wii U and i don't want a Wii U,but if i have to choose between a nintendo funded bayonetta 2 and a dead franchise,i have no doubt about what to choose.

I didn't say there's no cross over at all. I'm sure some Nintendo fans like Bayonetta.

Endo Punk

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the original Bayonetta gets a WiiU digital release in preparation for the launch of the sequel. It will help newcomers understand the world and characters and thus could help sales for the sequel quite a bit.

Wii U fans are Nintendo fans. Games like Bayonetta have no history of being successful on Nintendo platforms.

And Nintendo fans are religious cultists that only touch Nintendo games and never play on non-Nintendo platforms where they could have played the first Bayonetta, right?

I am not a Nintendo fan after all, forgive me Lord Miyamoto I have betrayed thee =(

And Nintendo fans are religious cultists that only touch Nintendo games and never play on non-Nintendo platforms where they could have played the first Bayonetta, right?

I am not a Nintendo fan after all, forgive me Lord Miyamoto I have betrayed thee =(

You can be dramatic and over the top, or you can be level headed. I find it very hard to believe anybody here would say impartially that a game like Bayonetta has a larger potential audience with Nintendo console owners than Microsoft and Sony owners. I'm not speaking in absolutes

Raist

Banned
Let's try a little deductive reasoning here: Sega has said that this is all Nintendo and they have nothing to do with it. PG has said that the game wouldn't be made if it weren't for Nintendo. Nintendo is publishing the game in all territories. PG doesn't have the resources to self-fund a AAA retail title. What are we to learn from the information at hand?

Yes. Games are rarely made if the developer can't find a publisher... And you do realize that unless they're 1st party, most devs get money from publishers, don't you?

I'm really curious how people think publishing works generally. It's not like devs finish a game and then start looking around for someone to publish it. that very rarely happens, and it's generally when a game gets published in a specific region only to begin with, like Demon's Souls was published by Atlus in the US.

Majukun

You can be dramatic and over the top, or you can be level headed. I find it very hard to believe anybody here would say impartially that a game like Bayonetta has a larger potential audience with Nintendo console owners than Microsoft and Sony owners. I'm not speaking in absolutes
well if you are taking 2 consoles against one and two consoles at the end of their life against one console that has been out for less then 4 months,i have no trouble believing it.

Gannd

Banned

The stupid in this post is hurting my head. Let's start: you say "potential audience" which is your red herring. There are over 100 million Xbox 360 and PS3 systems in the world. There will be less than that when Bayonetta 2 releases on the Wii U. So obviously, the "potentially" audience is larger on those platforms. But, the game didn't sell well on those platforms last time around. Nintendo has a very good track record of getting games they release on their platforms to sell really well.

No one said these games would have a larger audience on Nintendo platforms. It doesn't matter either way because they will most likely never have an audience on Sony and Microsoft platforms for the simple reason that they will not be released there.

No one said these games would have a larger audience on Nintendo platforms. It doesn't matter either way because they will most likely never have an audience on Sony and Microsoft platforms for the simple reason that they will not be released there.

Sure. The point I made was that I understand frustration because a large percentage of potential Bayonetta owners have no interest in Wii U. That's my only point.

Majukun

We don't know what the contract for Bayonetta is like. Anything can happen in the WWF video game industry.

Sega already said that they are in the project as simple advisors and are not involved in the development.
that let us remains with just platinum and nintendo...and only one of them has the money to finance a game at the moment.

TDLink

Most people don't want to buy an overpriced console for 1-2 games a year.

I currently own a Wii, PS3, 3DS, and PC. I probably buy 1-2 games for each a year (not so much with Wii anymore for obvious reasons). I don't need more than that, there's no time to play more while juggling other things in life. The notion that anyone who plays games frequently only will have 1 system is simply a fallacy. I have never known anyone who does that, ever.

Bayonetta is a different case because non Nintendo fans are the reason it exists at all. If I liked Bayonetta, which I don't, I would be frustrated at it being a Wii U exclusive. I don't think that's petulant, it's just natural. The type of people who like Bayonetta don't have much cross over with Wii U owners.

Wii had the largest install base out of Wii/360/PS3. By this logic many people who owned a 360 or PS3 also probably owned a Wii. How is that no audience crossover? Is it impossible for people to like Nintendo as well as other companies and their systems? Outside of the Internet, ie real life, I have never seen this kind of "console warrior" mentality since the "Nintendo is kiddy" high school days.

Games like Bayonetta essentially have no history of being on Nintendo platforms in general. Lack of evidence doesn't mean there isn't an audience for it there. I own a PS3, I like Bayonetta, I also like Nintendo though and will buy a Wii U in order to play it.

Well, believe it. Nintendo both on console and handheld this last gen/currently ending gen has had the largest install base. By definition that also means it has the largest potential audience for anything. Sure, not all of that install base is going to like Bayonetta but chances are pretty high that a great deal of them will. Even for those few who do in reality not touch a Nintendo product for fear of it burning their flesh I am sure will find a way to play the sequel if they are actually a fan of the first game. Everyone who played Bayonetta knows exactly how good it is and a console shift is not going to prevent rational people from playing it.

Sure. The point I made was that I understand frustration because a large percentage of potential Bayonetta owners have no interest in Wii U. That's my only point.

Games create interest in platforms, I don't own an Xbox because it doesn't have exclusive games I want to play. All games I care about I can get on Sony and Nintendo platforms. If Microsoft had exclusives I want I'd be interested in their platform.

Shouldn't that be how it works, I mean the point of this hobby is playing games, is it not?
This is what many don't understand, if platform X has games you want, platform X should become interesting to you, no? But for some reason this does not work for many people if platform X happens to have a Nintendo logo on the box.

Well, believe it. Nintendo both on console and handheld this last gen/currently ending gen has had the largest install base. By definition that also means it has the largest potential audience for anything.

This is faulty logic and shows little understanding for how demographics work.

I'm not going to reply point by point to you. I respect your opinion, friend.

omonimo

Banned
publishing doesn't necessairly means that you are funding a game...ubisoft published the no more heroes in the west,but had no role in the development,nor gave any money to the developers.

Isn't it the same about Resident Evil 4? I repeat, it depends more to Platinum Games, to how much 'correct' will be, but it's not that impossible. Lol to the Halo 3 quote, my God. Jeez people become so sensitive to the exclusive matter.

publishing doesn't necessairly means that you are funding a game...ubisoft published the no more heroes in the west,but had no role in the development,nor gave any money to the developers.

And we don't know how Bayonetta is working. What if Nintendo are partly funding in exchanged for timed exclusivity? We just don't know. It would be silly to speak in absolutes.

They are trying to broaden their horizons and now they're getting shit on for it. This is EXACTLY what people are always complaining that Nintendo never does. "Oh man, Nintendo only has Nintendo franchises, so they're going to bomb, I'm not buying a Wii U." Then they fund a sequel to a game a lot of people like but was abandoned and people still refuse to buy a Wii U. The whole point of Nintendo funding it is so that some of those people who weren't Nintendo fans would buy their new console, because that's how it's worked with every fucking console war since this medium started.

Only this time for some reason people are mad at Nintendo for actually funding a game a bunch of people wanted, and instead of rewarding them and showing them the support by buying the system, people rally against it. Did you ever think that maybe if people bought a Wii U and Bayo 2 that Nintendo would continue to find situations like this and keep making games people want? But now instead, they're going to make Bayo 2, it's going to have middling sales and then we are going to have the same "Nintendo only has Nintendo franchises" for another half a decade because whenever Nintendo DOES branch out, they get shit on for it so they stop doing it because it's not profitable.

Majukun

Publisher, but just depends more to the third party company if it's interest to more money or to be 'ethic'.

i'm really begin to think that many of you don't really know what "holding the rights of a franchise" means.

as i already said,JK Rowling doesn't have any power over the film Warner Bros made using the Harry Potter franchise she created,because the movie was made with warner bros money,and rowling just received some money as a compensation for the use of that franchise.

here is the same,sega has the rights of the bayonetta franchise,but the game is made by nintendo,who has total power over it,and sega has none,they are just receiving money for the use of their franchise.

I'll ask again, does nintendo own the bayonetta IP? Do they have ownership over bayonetta 2's code? If they don't, then Sega is free to do whatever they want their own property.

TDLink

This is faulty logic and shows little understanding for how demographics work.

I'm not going to reply point by point to you. I respect your opinion, friend.

I understand how demographics work and I understand a large number of the Wii's demographics had never had a gaming system before and maybe won't again. I also understand plenty of the 360/PS3 target demographic also had a Wii.

Most people who owned a Wii also owned another gaming system (and/or games on PC), that was really the point of my whole post if you actually read it and interpreted it as a whole instead of just focusing on one sentence to extract.

Gaming systems aren't that expensive in the long run and owning more than one is not some sort of rare occurrence.

Majukun

Isn't it the same about Resident Evil 4? I repeat, it depends more to Platinum Games, to how much 'correct' will be, but it's not that impossible. Lol to the Halo 3 quote, my God. Jeez people become so sensitive to the exclusive matter.

no it's not.
resident evil 4 was not funded by nintendo.Was just an exclusive,like,i don't know,the first bioshock game when it was announced for 360

omonimo

Banned
i'm really begin to think that many of you don't really know what "holding the rights of a franchise" means.

as i already said,Rowling doesn't have any power over the film Warner Bros made using the franchise she created,because the movie was made with warner bros money,and rowling just received some money as a compensation for the use of that franchise.

here is the same,sega has the rights of the bayonetta franchise,but the game is made by nintendo,who has total power over it,and sega has none,they are just receiving money for the use of their franchise.

It seems you too don't know how works exactly. You can call it "Bayonetta 2 massive meltdown" & nintendo total power gone definitely. It's more matter to how Platinum Games/Sega will react in the bomb case. But I found funny your absolutistic tone., with all respect.

I'll ask again, does nintendo own the bayonetta IP? Do they have ownership over bayonetta 2's code? If they don't, then Sega is free to do whatever they want their own property.

Some guy tweeted something to the effect of Nintendo calling the shots a couple of days ago.

Top Bottom