• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
0.jpg

SquarEnix.

Stahp.

Fixed.

It's just beyond played out at this point.

Care to elaborate?

Rlan

xHm4vbG.jpg

Seeing this, I decided to quickly mock up what you could possibly see the game looking like with correct sprite ratios.

The original pic here:

ff6og1.png

and now the mockups:

ff64.png
ff65.png

Also for kicks, if the game was altered to fit a more portrair resolution, as the DQ games are going.

ff6portrait.png

It's a rather difficult thing to manage, especially since the SNES did run in a weird, very square resolution that does not fit within any resolutions that continue today. remakes of FInal Fantasy games have had to cut from the top or bottom, or add more to the sides in order to make it work correctly, as you can see from the 'iPhone 5" resolution I did.

hitsugi

Yeah, regarding the PSP games it's funny to look back on some of the posts from the Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition reveal back in 2007. Reactions to the look of the game start on page 13, after duckroll posted direct-feed screens on post 629. Differences in the scale of the forum aside, it's all eerily similar to this thread, both the positive and negative posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138366&page=13

My favorite:

It's true, and I do recall this as well.. HOWEVER, by comparison to the FFV mobile engine, we see that the PSP ports are a godlike masterpiece sent from the world's finest artists.

KtSlime

It's true, and I do recall this as well.. HOWEVER, by comparison to the FFV mobile engine, we see that the PSP ports are a godlike masterpiece sent from the world's finest artists.
It's probably just familiarity to a particular style of art and people being afraid of the smartphone as a gaming platform.

I think perhaps what people are calling lack of detail is really just refined detail. It has much finer pixels and greater spectrum of colors. This means instead of big black borders around a sleeve to let you know the character has an arm they can use a slightly different shade of pink.

What people refer to shine on the hair and helmets is probably nothing more than a technical limitation of the snes.

I don't get this need to redo the sprites. You're playing a goddamn 16-bit RPG. What's wrong with the original pixel art? Who cares if you're playing on a "retina" screen? Pixels are lovely!
All these people saying "oh, its just nostalgia talking" or "you played on a CRT, try playing it now" need to fuck off. There's nothing wrong with the original pixel art. Doing this to it, it's like spray-painting the Mona Lisa.

jaxword

There is a world of difference between Portable Consoles and Smartphones/Tablets.

One is used primarily as a gaming unit, the other is primarily used for web browsing, applications, movies, music, email that happens to play games.

I didn't know that phones could do that.

Haunted

For as much of a push they're giving to their mobile strategy, you'd think they'd put more effort into these things
If even the most cynical and shitty cash-grabs like All the Bravest can make a shitton of money for S-E, why would they?

yaesir

Stop being afraid of smartphones as a gaming platform.

They are extremely limited.

The touch is the only form of input, you maybe have 2 or 3 simultaneous touches and i really, really dislike on screen controls.

I only have a smartphone for messaging, emails, phone and gps. Other than that i barely use the thing.

Going from a full fledged console to a smartphone is bad, i honestly would stop gaming and only replay older games if consoles died and we only got smartphones to play (except if a very very very very good game came out).

so that's a scan from that book. that's it? no other info or screens?

No other info in that book, but here are two threads citing interviews about the SNES origins of FFVII:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98617
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302056

Basically pre-production for FFVII started on the SNES but was interrupted when Square needed to put more staff in the Chrono Trigger project (which was originally a reboot of the scrapped SNES CD-ROM action RPG known as Maru Island, which also gave rise to Secret of Mana).

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
They are extremely limited.

The touch is the only form of input, you maybe have 2 or 3 simultaneous touches and i really, really dislike on screen controls.

I only have a smartphone for messaging, emails, phone and gps. Other than that i barely use the thing.

Going from a full fledged console to a smartphone is bad, i honestly would stop gaming and only replay older games if consoles died and we only got smartphones to play (except if a very very very very good game came out).

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/iOS+controllers/news.asp?c=53994

iOS 7 added official controller support and there's already a decent list of games that use it. Hopefully it will really catch on.

Minsc

Gold Member
Seeing this, I decided to quickly mock up what you could possibly see the game looking like with correct sprite ratios.

(pics)

It's a rather difficult thing to manage, especially since the SNES did run in a weird, very square resolution that does not fit within any resolutions that continue today. remakes of FInal Fantasy games have had to cut from the top or bottom, or add more to the sides in order to make it work correctly, as you can see from the 'iPhone 5" resolution I did.

I find it to be nothing short of laziness and / or ineptitude (or poor judgement if it's a willing decision to redraw it all like in FFV and FFVI iOS) to simply not preserve the original pixel art and extend the viewable area. All these games use maps that scroll around, there's no reason they can't simply make the camera display more area to fill in the extra space, and float backgrounds/black space if needed. In some ways it would be less effort and look better.

RM8

It's no worse than carrying a 3DS or Vita around with you.
But it doesn't happen in reality. Smartphones are everywhere and you can spot people playing games on them all the time, but I've never seen anyone using a controller with their mobile devices. Not on the bus or at a café or anywhere. People gaming on their phones are content with touch input, it's practical, their priority is not dedicated gaming.

KtSlime

I find it to be nothing short of laziness and / or ineptitude (or poor judgement if it's a willing decision to redraw it all like in FFV and FFVI iOS) to simply not preserve the original pixel art and extend the viewable area. All these games use maps that scroll around, there's no reason they can't simply make the camera display more area to fill in the extra space, and float backgrounds/black space if needed. In some ways it would be less effort and look better.

What if the primary target audience finds the new artwork to be superior? I'm not sure how we would get those statistics, but surely that is a possible reason they have opted for this route? I know people here don't like to take App Store reviews as evidence, but a breif look at the jp store reviews lead me to believe that V is fairly well received, and complaints are almost always about controls and bugs and price. It seems to me that those who choose to write about graphics in their reviews are those who praise the enhancements.

I guess if people don't like the change they don't like it, however it seems as though many are coming in here to blame this game for a lack of a multimillion dollar 3D remake on their favorite platform. This is not that game, and it is not preventing that game from being made, the economics and current financial situation SE is in is a much more likely cause.

fates

Terra looks washed out but I kinda like the soldier sprites. The helmet detail is nice. I also don't see the gridlines that were visible in FF5 so that's something (could just be for these images though).

But yeah, going the FF4 PSP route would have been really cool. Additionally, they really gotta drop the prices on these ports if they want to go this route. 9.99 would be an improvement.

Sciz

I know people here don't like to take App Store reviews as evidence, but a breif look at the jp store reviews lead me to believe that V is fairly well received, and complaints are almost always about controls and bugs and price. It seems to me that those who choose to write about graphics in their reviews are those who praise the enhancements.

I would assume that the majority of the potential users who hate the graphics don't buy the product in the first place.

Minsc

Gold Member
What if the primary target audience finds the new artwork to be superior? I'm not sure how we would get those statistics, but surely that is a possible reason they have opted for this route? I know people here don't like to take App Store reviews as evidence, but a breif look at the jp store reviews lead me to believe that V is fairly well received, and complaints are almost always about controls and bugs and price. It seems to me that those who choose to write about graphics in their reviews are those who praise the enhancements.

I guess if people don't like the change they don't like it, however it seems as though many are coming in here to blame this game for a lack of a multimillion dollar 3D remake on their favorite platform. This is not that game, and it is not preventing that game from being made, the economics and current financial situation SE is in is a much more likely cause.

It's a valid argument (and where I branch off to the poor judgement angle, since I do believe if they kept the original looks preserved, but enhanced the games they'd be better off), but if I'm to believe the new audience of gamers actually prefers FFV's new look to the original, well, I guess there's not much left beyond complaining with everyone else. :)

Celegus

Think I just barfed in my mouth a little. Will be happy to not support a remake of one of the best games ever made. And this is coming from someone who is super hyped for Lightning Returns.

it's not really a damned if they do scenario. they could have just left it as is and adapted the controls for touch screen and it would have been fine. It worked for chrono trigger. again, the reason it looks terrible:

They just redrew the pixel art without pixels. It's not a nostalgia thing. it's nothing to do with a purist attitude. if they wanted to ditch the pixel art they shouldn't have tried to emulate it at all.

Goli

And exactly how many people carry around the controller with their iphone with them?

It kind of kills the whole portable aspect of the thing.

Possibly the same number of people who carry something like a 3DS or Vita with them. Many people also play on tablets (iPad) or at home in their phones, so there's that too.

qq more

wtf? this is pure trolling, saying pixel art is played out. what do you suggest, that every game should be in 3D with polygons? this is seriously an absurd statement on your part.

The irony in this is that his avatar is a title screen of a Sega Genesis game :lol

Ugh, the best FF game ever getting violated..sad times we live in. And you people actually WANT them to remake FF7 too? Geez, that would probably be just as trashy as the past few "remakes".

One problem with this approach is that the original pixels were not meant to be perfect squares, so everything comes out looking too thin.

Edit: Which you mentioned, so yeah.

danielcw

It's a rather difficult thing to manage, especially since the SNES did run in a weird, very square resolution that does not fit within any resolutions that continue today.

Aren't all Super Nintendo resolutions meant for a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Aren't all Super Nintendo resolutions meant for a 4:3 aspect ratio?

Well, they are, but it doesn't run in a typical 4:3 resolution (256x224). Square basically counted on the game being stretched to 4:3, and designed the visuals accordingly.

Pixel art is just a different type of art. There is absolutely nothing played out about it, that is just ridiculous.
This! Pixel art is one of many types of art styles. It's not played out. If people have so much of a loathing for it, just don't play the games. I can say, pixel art is AS played out as realistic 3D models and I would be correct if people want to make the argument that pixel art has overstayed it's welcome. Point being, both pixel art and realistic 3D characters have VALID reason to coexist, among many other styles of art. Just because someone doesn't like them is no reason that they should disappear. When a style is created, it's sent out into the world and is out there for anybody to use. All these styles have the right to exist, as well as people have the right to use them to their heart's content.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
it's a real bummer seeing stuff like this and playing ff13... the series has really taken a nose dive, even the classics are getting screwy.

at least they'll never touch my precious ff ix

Josh7289

But it actually displays at something like 1.1:1.

This is wrong. The image gets stretched out horizontally a bit so the aspect ratio of the image output by the SNES is wider than what the roughly 256 x 224 native resolution of most games would have you believe.

That is, the pixels are meant to be rectangular on SNES games: longer horizontally than they are tall.

dream

And exactly how many people carry around the controller with their iphone with them?

It kind of kills the whole portable aspect of the thing.

But you don't HAVE to carry the controller around. Use the touch controls when you're on the go (which is very viable for stuff like RPGs), dock it with the controller when you're at home.

Top Bottom