• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI iOS/Android screenshots [Up: Larger]

I'd have killed (well probably not) for a FFVI remake of IV quality with voice acting on 3DS or Vita.

EDIT: This has that bland look that Lunar PSP had.
I was a huge fan of FFIV on SNES growing up and thought the 3D remake on the DS was excellent. And like you said, the voice acting was top notch. It is a shame that FFVI is not getting the same 3D treatment and it would have been interesting to have voice acting for the wide variety of characters.

Not like this, SE. Not like this.

At least they put effort into the text boxes. They look nice.

Man, if you're going to do a retread of a classic, for gods sake, commit to it.

At this stage, I wouldn't even mind terribly if they outsourced a remake.
Emphasis on at this stage.

Eusis

Not like this, SE. Not like this.

At least they put effort into the text boxes. They look nice.

Man, if you're going to do a retread of a classic, for gods sake, commit to it.

At this stage, I wouldn't even mind terribly if they outsourced a remake.
Emphasis on at this stage.
Thing is they do. Then they demanded much cheaper remakes from the same people I guess. It's a maddening situation all around.

Jeels

I always hate that there seems to be a gap between the iOS and Android release. As an Android user, it kind of makes me disinterested.

Lots of their stuff doesn't even get released outside of iOS.

Teknoman

Like what I see, day 1.

You can't smudge or smooth detail that was never there to begin with.

iqILo8DV42Prt.gif

Dice//

Banned
Yeah, this isn't good. The SNES "looks better" for its time than this does justice for what the iOS is capable of.

Thing is they do. Then they demanded much cheaper remakes from the same people I guess. It's a maddening situation all around.

Ugh, I get what you mean. Really messed up situation.
I guess I was more leaning on the thought of a cheaper full blown remake.
Imagine it, the models taking an inspiration from Amano's original concepts and shader that takes cues from his watered down Acrylic overlays, complete with Baroque-influenced soundtrack.

The above is completely out of scope and completely irresponsible in terms of a profitable remake, but you know, in a naive and perfect world.

daninthemix

It looks better than a 3D remake, but at the same time Square is still relieving themself all over my precious memories of this game.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Goddammit the original looks like it has more detail, even if it doesn't and it's at a substantially lower resolution. How hard is it to render more detail in the characters than the bland mess that's on display here?

don't get it pleaasssseee.

If you really wanna play FFVI, get the SNES version

if you don't have a SNES, get the GBA version.

Hell even the slowed down pos PSN version is more worthy

ITS TOTALLY NOT! I never played VI and bought that atrocity, its just too much to bare man, I played for 2 hours and after that all its worth is a pretty bubble on my vita screen, maybe its me being obsessive but the loading time to get to the menu was absolutely ridiculous.

Sciz

I was still holding out hope that they held at least one thing sacred. You've already about killed the franchise, Square, no need to retroactively make the games people actually like worse.

fionel

while most people here are offended by the graphics, I think it looks alright to me. I don't see how much better they can get it to look as long as they stick to the original 2D style. What matters more to me is if they have tweaked the balance and gameplay enough so that it's not the snorefest like the original. Chances are slim I know but hey fingers crossed eh.

Aeana

while most people here are offended by the graphics, I think it looks alright to me. I don't see how much better they can get it to look as long as they stick to the original 2D style. What matters more to me is if they have tweaked the balance and gameplay enough so that it's not the snorefest like the original. Chances are slim I know but hey fingers crossed eh.

If you expect them to increase the difficulty at all, then the chances are indeed slim to none.

Bravo Square-Enix! Take one of the greatest games you ever made, make it look like every generic RPG out there and slap a premium price to play with awful controls. That will take you back to the top...

If they released this on XBL / PSN / Wii ware and it has achievements and stuff I would buy it.

Its just a shame Square hates console money.

Have they ever commented on why they don't do this? I mean, I assume it's cheaper and easier on android/ios but is that it?

cafemomo

ITS TOTALLY NOT! I never played VI and bought that atrocity, its just too much to bare man, I played for 2 hours and after that all its worth is a pretty bubble on my vita screen, maybe its me being obsessive but the loading time to get to the menu was absolutely ridiculous.

at least it looks prettier than this rpgmarker monstrosity.

If Square actually took the time to make VI look pretty on iOS, i would not care at all, but with those shitty sprites, I'd rather play the PSN version of VI.

It's a disservice to the game the way they are treating it.

fionel

If you expect them to increase the difficulty at all, then the chances are indeed slim to none.

Yeah probably better off not keeping my hopes up. I loved what they did to the game in FF4 DS. Made the game so much more fun to actually play. Dammit is it too much to ask for the same treatment for another FF? :(

Hazmat

This looks a lot better than their ios version of FF5, but they've still fucked up the visuals so far.

That being said, I'd totally buy this if it launches at a reasonable price. Of course, it's Square Enix on ios, so it will be 2-3x a reasonable price, and I will continue to play this game on other platforms.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SSSSQQUUUUUUAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

9389368272_946141b173_o.gif

Fuck. Right. Off. So bad. So so so so bad.

Tangsta

Banned
From the screens in the OP, the conversion to HD looks very good. At least much better than I expected it to. Looking forward to playing this one.

John325

Neo Member
While low-res, the SNES version felt like it was based on some classy art design... The new one makes it look like it's based off of cheap generic anime design.

kevm3

The problem with the update is they completely eliminated any detail in the snow and made it super white. They've also changed the setting to a gloomy, night setting to bright, daytime.

Top Bottom