• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

I believe it's one gym in WA, one in San Francisco, and two in relatively close to each other in Japan, going off of The Silph Road. All of those locations are near Niantic offices.

The Japanese raids should kick off in two and a half hours, so it'll be interesting to see the preliminary reports.

The first EX raid window opens in 4 minutes. Here's some dude in Japan livestreaming it, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnmhWHkkJA

Edit:
  • Raid was Mewtwo, and it seems all of the beta EX raids might be Mewtwo for now.
  • Rewards are the same as T5 raids, and the number of Premier Balls given is the same as normal raids, not 50 like the Japan event.
  • When the raid window begins, it appears just like any other raid, but the timer icon on the map is black.
  • It appears enough people were invited to do several rounds, though no idea how many beyond that.
  • Finally, completing the raid gives progress for the previous unobtainable Legendary medal. This may confirm suspicions that all Legendary Pokémon were supposed to be EX raid exclusive as hinted at in the teaser, and may explain why other legendary raids haven't been giving progress towards the Champion medal.
Also, it got away from him. Awwww

Replicant

The first EX raid window opens in 4 minutes. Here's some dude in Japan livestreaming it, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnmhWHkkJA

Edit:
  • Raid was Mewtwo, and it seems all of the beta EX raids might be Mewtwo for now.
  • Rewards are the same as T5 raids, and the number of Premier Balls given is the same as normal raids, not 50 like the Japan event.
  • When the raid window begins, it appears just like any other raid, but the timer icon on the map is black.
  • It appears enough people were invited to do several rounds, though no idea how many beyond that.
  • Finally, completing the raid gives progress for the previous unobtainable Legendary medal. This may confirm suspicions that all Legendary Pokémon were supposed to be EX raid exclusive as hinted at in the teaser, and may explain why other legendary raids haven't been giving progress towards the Champion medal.
Also, it got away from him. Awwww

7 people vs 1 MewTwo are enough? I assume as long as everyone comes with Ty-tars.

OnPoint

Went a blistering 6/7 on Raikou today, one of which was 93%. Only missed the last one, and he was really bad, like 1848 bad, so it was whatever. I've definitely caught some first ball with a Nanab and a Great throw, so don't get discouraged folks. Just have fun with it.

On the way back to my friend's to drop him off we stopped at a couple of Machamp raids. I ended up getting a 100%, first throw, Golden Raz. Also got a 93% on another that popped on the way.

Was a pretty solid day for me haha

HardRojo

Yeah seems like Mewtwo isn't that hard, but that's understandable as the raid won't be open for everyone. The increased catch rate also makes sense because of that.

It would be kinda lame if it ends up that it takes less people to take down Mewtwo versus Lugia in the non-beta EX raids, though.
That's dependent upon base stats alone. Lugia has always been a much stronger defensively than Mewtwo, whose strength is in being an extremely powerful attacker. So yeah, it's going to take more people dealing damage to beat Lugia, and that's not going to change.

On the flip-side, Mewtwo is going to to plow through your Pokémon much faster than Lugia, who is a relatively poor attacker.

Pineapple

I know there are a lot of developers here, so I thought I would ask - does anyone know what's involved in building a web based Pokemon Go scanner?

The big scanner in my area that everyone used to find raids recently went from free to requiring a monthly payment of $15 to use, which has all of the raiding groups pretty upset. It was web based and honestly wasn't even that efficient in terms of speed and functionality (would constantly go down, wouldn't load, etc).

I've thought about building my own for my community for a while now, and think I might finally have the motivation to do it - but, I don't even know where to start. I have a basic level of understanding of HTML/CSS, and have the basic coding skills covered (loops, functions, arrays, etc). I've never messed with Javascript before, as most of what I've done has been in C.

But again, I don't even know where to start. Is there an API or something that Niantic makes avaialble that provides data for gyms, raid spawns, etc?

Firemind

I know there are a lot of developers here, so I thought I would ask - does anyone know what's involved in building a web based Pokemon Go scanner?

The big scanner in my area that everyone used to find raids recently went from free to requiring a monthly payment of $15 to use, which has all of the raiding groups pretty upset. It was web based and honestly wasn't even that efficient in terms of speed and functionality (would constantly go down, wouldn't load, etc).

I've thought about building my own for my community for a while now, and think I might finally have the motivation to do it - but, I don't even know where to start. I have a basic level of understanding of HTML/CSS, and have the basic coding skills covered (loops, functions, arrays, etc). I've never messed with Javascript before, as most of what I've done has been in C.

But again, I don't even know where to start. Is there an API or something that Niantic makes avaialble that provides data for gyms, raid spawns, etc?
I think, but don't quote me on that, scanners are all based on RocketMap. Try to start from there.

HardRojo

What do Raid Eggs mean? I wasn't raiding when the mechanic first appeared so I'm clueless here. They hatch and the timer reset to 2 hours? Or do we get less time?

What do Raid Eggs mean? I wasn't raiding when the mechanic first appeared so I'm clueless here. They hatch and the timer reset to 2 hours? Or do we get less time?

IIRC it was a 1 hour timer before, but I think it might still be 2 hours, at least for legendaries.

The biggest significance is that this means raids will be running later in the day (since the total duration of egg + raid is 1-2 hours longer now), but also effectively beginning later as well (since you have to wait for the egg to actually hatch after spawning). Though the daily raiding hours were set with those factors in mind to begin with, so ever since legendaries began they've been ending for the day sooner than intended.

Pejo

Man these raids bum me out. I can get about 5% from victory on 2* raids, can solo a 1* raid, and the rest aren't even close. I was hoping they'd lower the requirements after a while.

Firemind

gMrOyxU.png
39 -> 40 will be one hell of a grind

Man these raids bum me out. I can get about 5% from victory on 2* raids, can solo a 1* raid, and the rest aren't even close. I was hoping they'd lower the requirements after a while.
use your available stardust

*2 is relatively easy with the right counters and *3 is doable with the right counters near max level

Finally got around to doing a Suicune raid, been so busy and it's been pouring rain every day.

Hit it with 10 balls. 4 excellent, 6 great. All golden razz + curveball.

Runs away.

Smh

Still plenty of time, but raid activity has really died off in my area so it's not like I can easily do 10+ on my day off like I could with the birds.

HardRojo

Niantic just keeps screwing us over.
The latest update is a mess with glitchy sprites and player counter that don't update in raid lobbies.
And now they reintroduce the egg countdowns cutting effective raid times down by one hour. This is fucking stupid.

Niantic just keeps screwing us over.
The latest update is a mess with glitchy sprites and player counter that don't update in raid lobbies.
And now they reintroduce the egg countdowns cutting effective raid times down by one hour. This is fucking stupid.

I agree. I didn't miss the eggs at all, and they are terrible for non-Legendary raids.

I've only fought Raikou once so far, but I'm going for at least two more attempts during the weekend. I'm really dumbfounded at the luck some people are having here. I usually don't get my Legendary until four or five attempts, so I'm in for a tough time.

Last time I tried catching Raikou, I couldn't even get the ball to shake twice despite using Golden Razz Berries and Curve Balls every time. I only missed hitting it once.

HardRojo

I agree. I didn't miss the eggs at all, and they are terrible for non-Legendary raids.

I've only fought Raikou once so far, but I'm going for at least two more attempts during the weekend. I'm really dumbfounded at the luck some people are having here. I usually don't get my Legendary until four or five attempts, so I'm in for a tough time.

Last time I tried catching Raikou, I couldn't even get the ball to shake twice despite using Golden Razz Berries and Curve Balls every time. I only missed hitting it once.

An egg countdown of 30 minutes plus 2 hours of effective raid time would make a lot more sense, but I guess that's not how Niantic rolls.

Joni

Eggs are great. It gives you time to actually plan a raid and it means you won't get surprised by raids when taking down a gym. Removing them was always a bad idea. And with Exclusive Raids ensuring that no other raids spawn at a gym, it makes sure you don't waste time at gyms that should spawn other raids. They just need to play around with egg timers, shorter timers for lower raid levels.

HardRojo

Eggs are great. It gives you time to actually plan a raid and it means you won't get surprised by raids when taking down a gym. Removing them was always a bad idea. And with Exclusive Raids ensuring that no other raids spawn at a gym, it makes sure you don't waste time at gyms that should spawn other raids. They just need to play around with egg timers, shorter timers for lower raid levels.

But taking one hour away from the 2 available before just for the egg countdown is stupid. Cut it down to 30 minutes while also keeping the 2 hours the raid is open for everyone.
One advantage of the egg means that final raid of the day will start later.
It seems like they don't, they simply take one hour away from the previous 2 hours a raid would have been open. A local example: There were no new raids popping up after 6 pm because they all had to end by 8 pm over here, so now it's the eggs popping up until 6 pm, while the countdown goes and the raid starts at 7 pm at the latest, but they only last one hour now so they still end by 8 pm, only that now we simply have that one hour to do it. This sucks for level 4 raids as you have no idea what Pokémon it is going to be and can't plan accordingly.

30 (or even 20) minutes of egg countdown and 2 hours of effective time for the raid would be the best scenario in my opinion.

zulux21

I really don't get how having less time to plan a raid is a good thing.

you could always use the first hour of the instant raids to plan and go in the last hour.

now you can't set any time in that first hour, or even know what it is until it hatches meaning that you have an hour to plan a raid, which is even harder to do that two.

only raid tier you could get people to commit to blindly would be 5, most people don't give a crap about anything below that which isn't a ttar.

you could always use the first hour of the instant raids to plan and go in the last hour.

now you can't set any time in that first hour, or even know what it is until it hatches meaning that you have an hour to plan a raid, which is even harder to do that two.

only raid tier you could get people to commit to blindly would be 5, most people don't give a crap about anything below that which isn't a ttar.

With the eggs people were showing up at Raikou raids at my area right as they started. It gives people a specific time to show up, so it's naturally more organized and easy to form a team. Granted, it really only works that way because there's exactly one T5 raid boss right now, so everyone knows what they're showing up for. T4 raids (well, specifically Tyranitar) get screwed because in many areas people don't care about any of them but Tyranitar, so showing up for an egg is kind of pointless.

zulux21

With the eggs people were showing up at Raikou raids at my area right as they started. It gives people a specific time to show up, so it's naturally more organized and easy to form a team. Granted, it really only works that way because there's exactly one T5 raid boss right now, so everyone knows what they're showing up for. T4 raids (well, specifically Tyranitar) get screwed because in many areas people don't care about any of them but Tyranitar, so showing up for an egg is kind of pointless.

I mean, you just get something like discord and talk with people to set a time.

with the eggs before people would maybe show up when they go to hatch but most of the time wouldn't because they didn't know what it was.

raids were dead around here with eggs and likely will be again.

You're assuming that people will actually respond. That is far from a guaranteed thing in a lot of area. Especially when we have like 20 different groups for the region that no one's apart of more than half of. It's always been a total crap-shoot for me.

But the egg timer caused a fair few people to just show up, which was really nice.

HardRojo

Yep, it only makes sense for the Level 5 raids right now because, as stated above, everyone knows what it is so they'll definitely show up, and it did work as per my personal experience earlier today, but it totally sucks for the rest of raids (level 4 and below) and it will completely suck if they keep that system after Legendary raids are gone. I firmly believe 30 or 20 mins of egg countdown plus 2 of actual raid time is the best solution to this mess.

The only use for eggs would be if they were like in that legendary pokemon trailer with like a 48 hour coundown (and obviously make them a lot rarer than they are now).

Joni

But taking one hour away from the 2 available before just for the egg countdown is stupid. Cut it down to 30 minutes while also keeping the 2 hours the raid is open for everyone.

It gives you a lot more time to plan, to notify people. Long raid times spread the people too much.

It seems like they don't, they simply take one hour away from the previous 2 hours a raid would have been open.

Raid eggs used to last two hours so it gets you an extra hour in the evening.

You have an extra hour and a good natural start hour. Now you already lose time because you need people to notice a new raid. They will now have two hours to notice and alert people. Very easy for people that drive in.

with the eggs before people would maybe show up when they go to hatch but most of the time wouldn't because they didn't know what it was.

[So send someone to a raid at the moment it appears and then alert people.

zulux21

You have an extra hour and a good natural start hour. Now you already lose time because you need people to notice a new raid. They will now have two hours to notice and alert people. Very easy for people that drive in.

[So send someone to a raid at the moment it appears and then alert people.

I don't, as i said no one will give a single f*** before that egg hatches unless it's tier 5.

it means you will have exactly one hour to get in touch with people, meet up for the raid, and do the raid, aka half the time you used to have with no egg.

maybe in more active areas it would be different, but where I am at we top out at 40 or so people doing raids the first day of legendaries. our average raid group after that initial rush is 7-12 people.

I mean I suppose this is the main reason my wife and I have been building up alt accounts.

we expected the crap system that was eggs to come back, and thus we will only really need other people to come on t4 raids so no real planning needed.

still not a fan of them being back. now if they were back and actually had a way to tell what they were before they hatched I would care less, but as it is it's a huge step backwards for me.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
tier 5 eggs are still fine because you can still plan around it when it pops up because you know what it is but the tier 4 ones are nerfed because no one dose them unless they are a tyranitar so now you have a hour less to plan for it on discord/facebook messanger and get to it

Joni

Wondering what to spend coins on. Have built up purse of 800 coins. I'm hoping to get some bag and Pokemon space if they drop the price.

GulAtiCa

As the resident whale of the group (Prob over $350 easily.. lol). I currently have over 13,000 coins on me currently (Just added $100 last week as well as almost always get 50 new coins each day)

I have max 1500 item storage. Honestly, this is not even enough, wish I had 2000 lol!
I have 900 Pokemon storage.

I bought a LOT of those Special Boxes back when they were around. I still have like 50 Raid Passes left.

Currently I plan to be conservative with my coins. Only plan to spend and buy 2 egg incubators per week. That was I'll actually gain 50 new coins each week. At least until I have 9 10k eggs again (at 4 now again). Mainly saving them for events as well as of course more raids.

Honestly, I really recommend spending them on item space. It's very unlikely they will give us a sale on that anytime soon.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
im at close to $1000 spent if not slightly over

1000 pokemon storage
1500 bag space
i buy full pokeballs every other day
always 9 incubators going
always 25 incense (use 3 a day)
always have 8 lure modules unless i go into the city then i lure the entire pier it has 7 lure spots and i lure the whole thing for a few hours when i am there other wise i only use 1 a day during work
and only buy 1 lucky egg at a time if i am doing a mass evolve

out of all those if i couldnt spend money the best bang for the coins would be bag space after that pokemon storage then incubators

GulAtiCa

And I thought I was really invested in this game. I've been out done! lol

Been so long since I've had to buy pokeballs. these days I hit about 15 pokestops every morning before work and then another 15+ throughout the day, more so if I do a bunch of raids. So I'm usually good on pokeballs. Though, from the looks of it, I imagine you only buy them because you are catching so many Pokemon that you go through them so quickly. Right?

I actually bought a 2nd cheap android phone ($60 BLU 2GB Ram) so I can occasionally play my Fiancee's account on it at same time. Works very well for catching, walking & raids actually. Only time it seems to struggle is oddly enough when it comes to text popups/overheads. Like when Appraising it slows down a bit. lol

I mainly play her account to help her level up, as a 2nd player in raids (she's lv 27 now) as well as spinning pokestops to gain more items/eggs (she works like 2 minutes away from our house, so unlike me she obviously can't get out much during the work day) as finally to help put her in gyms so she can earn her coins.

Along with myself, I also loaded up an extra $100 coins into her account. Since she is still new and likes eggs, she will prob end up going through them more quickly then me. She has hatched like 4 Porygons now and like 7 Mareeps. hahaha

Firemind

I bought two Plus because I lost my first one lol

Prob spent 500 at this point including the two Plus. More if you count gas lost through detours lol

Top Bottom