• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I went 5/5 then 0/5... be careful lol

For Suicune I was like 10/10 or something then lost 5 in a row including the highest CP I saw all month. I really don't know why they have a lower catch rate than the birds. I just don't think doing the raid, throwing a bunch of great curveballs and then missing out is ever going to be a good experience for anyone.

Anyway, I'm going to head out to try and find Raikou now. Wish me luck

I only managed to beat one legendary raid (Raikou) and it just ran away. I think those will be the major gaps in my dex for quite some time.

Have they made any intention of giving you the ability to chuck eggs? I only need one more 5km Pokemon and don't want to waste time hatching them to make room.

Haven't fought Entei yet, but I had unusually good luck with Raikou.

I went 4/5 for Raikou. On a few of those catches, I got it with a regular Razz Berry and it only took two throws. Nothing above 86%, but nothing below 82.2% either. Three of them came with Thunder Shock + Wild Charge.

I just want one good Entei with Overheat, but I wouldn't mind extra copies. I only hang onto extras because of the possibility that trading will be introduced into this game.

Replicant

I feel that the throw technique thing is BS. I did one where I threw no less than 5 perfect "Excellent" + Golden Berries and I didn't catch Raikou. There were times when Raikou even broke out immediately after an "Excellent" assessment. WTF?!

Then I did another raid with a shit throw where it barely hit his head and only 1 Golden Berry and I caught it immediately. The kicker is that this one has higher IV than the one above. So obviously IV/CP does not even affect capture rate.

At this point I feel that the capture rate is random and not based on your "Excellent" throw. Which is annoying because it means capture rate is based mostly on luck instead of your efforts/skills.

I feel that the throw technique thing is BS. I did one where I threw no less than 5 perfect "Excellent" + Golden Berries and I didn't catch Raikou. There were times when Raikou even broke out immediately after an "Excellent" assessment. WTF?!

Then I did another raid with a shit throw where it barely hit his head and only 1 Golden Berry and I caught it immediately. The kicker is that this one has higher IV than the one above. So obviously IV/CP does not even affect capture rate.

At this point I feel that the capture rate is random and not based on your "Excellent" throw. Which is annoying because it means capture rate is based mostly on luck instead of your efforts/skills.

It absolutely is based off of you throw. The thing is, even with an Excellent/Curve/Golden Razz/Golden type medal toss you still only have around a 16% chance of any individual ball catching a legendary beast.

Of course in the end yes, it is still down to luck, but your toss rating definitely does play a factor in increasing your odds.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish it wasn’t possible to just golden razz gyms forever. It’s very frustrating. In my opinion it should have a limit of a single golden razz for each Pokémon and then it’s blocked out.

There’s no point in having a gym defender bonus (raid balls) and the eggs appearing early if people who did a lot of raids before the rewards nerf can just golden razz the gym forever.

I can’t even save up enough golden razz to use one for every throw in a legendary raid and I just watched a gym take well over 50 golden razz over the course of an hour while 5 people were unable to take it down.

There’s nothing fun happening there at all

Edit: as for the capture rate discussion above keep in mind there’s also currently a bug in which curveballs only register inconsistently so the numbers are off because curveballs are bugged and we don’t really know how often the bonus is applied

Joni

Edit: as for the capture rate discussion above keep in mind there’s also currently a bug in which curveballs only register inconsistently so the numbers are off because curveballs are bugged and we don’t really know how often the bonus is applied

It seems like they are applied quite consistent, but if you divide the screen into four quadrants: if the curve ball hits the same quadrant as from where you launch it, it is not actually a curve ball.

Your feelings on the subject is kina irrelevant. there are lots of data on the subject if you care to look for it.

you are dead wrong.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like they are applied quite consistent, but if you divide the screen into four quadrants: if the curve ball hits the same quadrant as from where you launch it, it is not actually a curve ball.

Nah there’s no data for that. I haven’t seen anything to suggest it’s properly understood.

Also a Raikou just escaped from 10 Golden Razz + Excellent ‘curveballs’ with a golden badge.

The capture rate isn’t random. It’s just regular trash

Edit: sorry, it was 9 balls not 10. No need to exaggerate

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It isn't really a bug with curveballs, the circle is divided into 4 quadrants, depending on which side your throw the ball from, its lower quadrant will be a dead zone that won't count as a curveball.
Here's some clear proof of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx3uamSlFIs

Even if that’s 100% correct (and again I don’t believe it is there’s plenty of evidence against it) I don’t understand how it could possibly not be a bug with curveballs

Joni

Nah there’s no data for that. I haven’t seen anything to suggest it’s properly understood.

It seems to be the most supported theory, looking at evidence.

Also a Raikou just escaped from 10 Golden Razz + Excellent ‘curveballs’ with a golden badge.

That is 2% times 1.3; 2.5, 1.7 and 1.5. That is still only 16.5% if the Curveballs applied correctly. Considering the size of the quadrant that would be the max if all the curveballs hit.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
That is 2% times 1.3; 2.5, 1.7 and 1.5. That is still only 16.5% if the Curveballs applied correctly. Considering the size of the quadrant that would be the max if all the curveballs hit.

That's correct. Even when a player does everything possible they can actually catching the Pokémon is not guaranteed. Such fun

Edit: Anyway so far I'm 2/3. About to do a forth raid. Hopefully this time I can get a higher CP. 1856 is highest so far.....

So far from 3 raids I received, 15 rare candy, 6 Golden Razz (used 16 already though), 0 TMs, and thrown away over a hundred potions and revives. Maybe over two hundred even? Mostly from Pokestops while walking between raids though

Edit Edit: at least this time I get to sit in a coffee shop while waiting

Edit Edit Edit: I got the last one throwing a very very lucky excellent curveball. 0 Rare candy, 3 Golden Razz (Used 7) and a Fast TM. Time to go home 1874 is okay

GulAtiCa

Fatigue finally caught up with me. Barely did anything Pokemon related at all. I did still get 80k in stardust for combined, mainly due to some eggs hatching at the right moments.

I def won't be reaching 1.5 million, as I'm just now at 1.2 million. I think for now I'll aim for like 1.3 million.

I'm also going to be buying LOTS of Special Incubators. Going to save them for the future.

GulAtiCa

Tomorrow, likely same time it started, so tomorrow 1 pm PST. Though, Niantic always bad at ending things on time (which for events is a good thing)

gutshot

Halloween event confirmed by TPC, although specifics still to be announced. https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/beware-pokemons-spooky-halloween-roundup/

The Halloween season is a special time in Pokémon GO. Plenty of good stuff is coming to the game later this October, and we can't wait to get out and about to see what sort of excitement we can scare up while catching new Pokémon to fill out our Pokédex.

Stay tuned for more details about Pokémon GO's Halloween event coming soon!

And is that a hint of Gen 3 dropping with the event?

GulAtiCa

I'll be on my honeymoon at end of Oct funny enough. Really hope the event lasts a little bit into November, cause then I'll be at Universal for the 2nd part of my Honeymoon where both of us can play more and walk around more (saving my S.I. for Universal)

CassSept

Halloween event confirmed by TPC, although specifics still to be announced. https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/beware-pokemons-spooky-halloween-roundup/

And is that a hint of Gen 3 dropping with the event?

Can be wonky wording, I'll believe it when I see it. Some Shuppets and Duskulls would be cool though and a more interesting Gen 3 tease than sticking babies into random eggs.

Or maybe event-related raids? We didn't have any type-specific event since raids launched, did we.

2/4 with Entei. Ran into a group raiding yesterday and joined, so with Entei as my first Legendary, I now have a pretty active local group of folk to play with. Pretty diverse cast of people too. Parents with little kids, young couples, GIANT TRUCK Country guys with #TEAMMYSTIC decals on the back of the cab.

I was taken aback, but it's been great so far.

2/2 for Entei so far. Neither of them have a great Attack stat, but I'm fine with them because they each already have the optimal charge move. My first one is 1869 CP with Fire Spin and Overheat, and the second is 1877 CP with Fire Fang and Overheat. Stat spread for the first is 12 HP 10 ATK, and 13 DEF, and the second is stronger by only 1 ATK point.

Will do more simply because there's so many days left in the month, but I wouldn't even care much if every single Entei from now on ran away. I'm not going out of my way to hunt, but I'll still probably end up doing more than Raikou. I only fought Raikou 5 times during all of September.

Even though I caught both of mine, Entei is breaking out a lot more than Raikou did for me. I'm not even sure if Regular Razz Berries will be effective this time. Golden Razzes are not as plentiful as they used to be, so I would like to conserve those.

Magik

Even though I caught both of mine, Entei is breaking out a lot more than Raikou did for me. I'm not even sure if Regular Razz Berries will be effective this time. Golden Razzes are not as plentiful as they used to be, so I would like to conserve those.

Entei definitely feels a lot tougher to catch compared to Raikou from the 3 raids I've done.

The way a lot of people I've talked to are going forward with Golden Razz usage if the CP is at a minimum 1900. Anything less is getting a regular Razz. I personally only have 40 left which I'm saving for Mewtwo that is if I ever get a EX Raid pass.

In regards to the previous discussion about catch rate, it is all random, but the idea is to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible which is why you should go for the ideal scenario of Golden Razz + Curve Ball + Excellent Throw + Gold Type Medals + as many balls as possible. Though regarding the curve ball glitch it might be better to aim for a Great throw since you have a large area to aim for.

As for Entei itself, I got a 1917 with ideal move set so I'm pretty much done with it as Fire types just aren't that useful and I have a solid squad of Moltres and Arcanine as backup. Going forward its really for EXP, Golden Razz and if the CP is higher than what I currently have.

HardRojo

Reached level 35 today. 7/8 on Entei so far but all of them below 1900, so I'm still planning to do the daily ones and maybe a paid one if an Entei happens to spawn close and I have no free pass available. I just want to get a decent one (1917+) and I'll be happy.

Is there a set day for the new wave of EX Raid invites to go out?

Chuckie

Did my first Suicine raid yesterday and caught him! Bastard was pretty tough to take down, muuuuch harder than Entei. IV isn't good but I personally care more about my Pokedex. Will try again though.

In other news, last friday my egg hatched and it was Tyroque....that evolved into Hitmontop!
I really needed that bastard for my Pokedex.

Now I 'just' need 4 more evolutions, which can be done by (a lot) of walking and Mewtwo if I ever get a Ex Raid pass.

And the regionals ofcourse :(

HardRojo

74 years old dude plays Pokémon Go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC31SAS2L44
Video is in Spanish and there are no English subs available, but the gist of it is that he suffers from diabetes and was recommended to walk about 4 kms a day, which he found boring after walking the same routes everyday. Pokémon Go made the daily walks a lot more fun and he got really hooked on it and has a lot of fun playing it.

I've seen a couple of elderly people playing together lol, they must have been in their early 60s, and I've also seen several people in their 50s playing with their teenager sons and daughters. Must be great to be a parent and play together with your kids.

ZeroCDR

Did my first Entei raid yesterday and caught it, 87%. Good enough for me, I'll fight others if it's convenient, but otherwise it's nice to check it off and have a nice break until Suicune. Hope Halloween is as good as it was last year!

edit: Also hatched a 14/14/14 Chansey, what a heartbreaker lol. Still, much better than the one I had.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
74 years old dude plays Pokémon Go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC31SAS2L44
Video is in Spanish and there are no English subs available, but the gist of it is that he suffers from diabetes and was recommended to walk about 4 kms a day, which he found boring after walking the same routes everyday. Pokémon Go made the daily walks a lot more fun and he got really hooked on it and has a lot of fun playing it.

I've seen a couple of elderly people playing together lol, they must have been in their early 60s, and I've also seen several people in their 50s playing with their teenager sons and daughters. Must be great to be a parent and play together with your kids.

at worlds there was a couple there that had to be in their late 80s early 90s they had a bunch of pokemon pins on its really cool how this game has the elderly out walking around getting exercise

GulAtiCa

I swear they upped the amount of 10k eggs out there for this event. I really wanted those 2k buggers, too.

Well, the pool for all eggs has been very much reduced, so getting a 10k currently is very easy. Will go back to normal by end of day most likely.

I've hatched so many Lapras and Snorlaxes in this week. lol

OnPoint

Well, the pool for all eggs has been very much reduced, so getting a 10k currently is very easy. Will go back to normal by end of day most likely.

I've hatched so many Lapras and Snorlaxes in this week. lol

Jealous. 2 Lax, one good, only one Lapras total. Mostly Sudowoodos and Porygons. Love the amount of Remoraids I hatched as well.

I only hatched one Chancey with OK stats, still not as good as my 90% Blissy. Would of liked to get another Snorlax, so we'll see during lunch.

GulAtiCa

Event is now over! Overall I gained 1.16 million stardust. Also gained 255 Dratini candies as well as hatched 206 eggs just during the event. Once the rest of my special eggs hatch, I'll tally everything up!

DLPXL6AUIAAgH0N.jpg:large
DLPXMqyV4AAOWvD.jpg:large

I got nothing but 5 KM eggs this whole event. I was getting 5 KM eggs faster than I can hatch them.

Stantlers 4 life!!! Seeing wild Stantlers in my area all the time and hatching them from eggs is Just Too Sweeeeet!!!

Replicant

The egg events have been pretty good to me. Here's the good ones after evolutions and all. They are all from the event's eggs:

100% Dragonite
98% Scizor
98% Slowking
95% Octillery
93% Dragonair
93% Blissey
93% Porygon
93% Togetic
93% Muk
91% Chansey
91% Hitmonchan
91% Lapras
91% Ampharos
88% Flaffy
88% Tyranitar
88% Tyrogue
88% Aerodactyl
88% Kabutops
86% Mareep
86% Hitmonlee
86% Kabuto
84% Omanyte
84% Scyther
84% Miltank
82% Hitmontop
82% Snorlax

I didn't get Miltank until the very last day. Weird seeing everyone else not wanting it and I'm desperately wanting it and keep getting Porygon and Dratini. The only dread was getting 5k eggs although surprisingly I ended up getting decent amount of Kabuto and Omanyte and most importantly, 2 Scythers. 1 of which I promptly turned into Scizor.

Top Bottom