• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Huge Nintendo Switch exploit (potential hack) found on firmware 3.0.0

btrboyev

I will never get the people who want to hack their consoles for HomeBrew in 2017. You are risking breaking or losing access to updates and online going forward.

Jut buy a dedicated device if you want a handheld for this purpose. There are some iOS ones out there now that are already well established.

BigEmil

Love my hacked Vita but it's not there yet in tech and community work homebrew

Hacked Switch however oh man can't wait to see what people do with it proper and Nintendo devices got a huge great hacking communities

Nintendo gonna start banning more often and more frequently just like Sony/MS.
Lol stop with the fake scaremongering they won't ban you unless your a filthy pirate and playing online with it

I will never get the people who want to hack their consoles for HomeBrew in 2017. You are risking breaking or losing access to updates and online going forward.

Jut buy a dedicated device if you want a handheld for this purpose. There are some iOS ones out there now that are already well established.
You can't tell people what to do with their own purchases they can do whatever they want with it, in my case I don't intend to online game on my Switch I'm not paying for online subscriptions later on and the games I will play on it is mainly offline content so I'm good. Also if I absolutely must I'll buy a cheap second Switch no problem :)

For someone like me losing updates or online doesn't really matter right now. I've got no plans of playing anything online on the Switch. I'd rather be able to play N64, SNES and Gamecube games then be able to play... Splatoon or ARMS.

Like almost every other case, there will likely be ways to bypass those requirements and allow people to play online with spoofed firmware versions

yes but like with most hacks there is no ETA on release it could release months from now or even over a year sorry not worth it for me Splatoon 2 is just way to much fun to give up on already i dont need emulators and its already region free lol

Madao

this is what Nintendo gets for doing an OS that shares stuff with the 3DS.

maybe this will be a wake up call to get some better security in there.

Hmm, I will actually consider buying a second one if it is really going to be 3.0.0 out of the box. I still think the Switch will be the absolutely perfect homebrew machine.

WhatNXt

Spoofing a version number is easy mode, but this early in the machines life and the rate they move off shelves you can count on them: never releasing HW with that exploit again, including libraries and OS features in a more secure update, patching games and locking new content behind a requirement for such update(s), tamper checks, checksum / signature validation, online key checks based on new key(s), regularly changed and deliberately obfuscated security check algorithms... it'll just be a big game of cat and mouse. Is having retroarch and other such things on yet another device worth impeding access to new games? I don't know.

If I don't care about either of those, why wouldn't I do home brew? Also, why do you care what people do with their switches?

jrcbandit

Doh, updated for Sonic Mania. Too bad piracy will become so prevalent this early in the Switch's life.

After watching videos of Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon hackers on Wii U, homebrew might kill the Switch if it develops early on. Imagine playing online and you encountered cheaters 50% of the time.
Hmm guess I should get around to playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe before online becomes a mess. Hopefully, Nintendo will be more active on banning custom firmware users from online play.

Raysoul

After watching videos of Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon hackers on Wii U, homebrew might kill the Switch if it develops early on. Imagine playing online and you encountered cheaters 50% of the time.

xerzewatt

Bought my switch yesterday and updated right away. Oh well, I am not that interested in emulation etc. anyway but it would have been nice to cheat at Zelda to get some korok seeds.

Doh, updated for Sonic Mania. Too bad piracy will become so prevalent this early in the Switch's life.

An 'exploit' doesn't mean a "freeshop" equivalent will be made available on the switch next week.

nickerous

Eh, I have a switch on 3.0, but not sure if I want to stay there. If gamecube emulation is a thing, it would be worth it. Really, thats the only thing I want...

Online is garbage on Nintendo platforms anyway.

Please point me to a dockable tablet with HDMI out and detachable controllers for playing on the go like the switch.

Oh wait, not gonna happen. There's a couple of devices that are close, sorta, but nothing quite like it.

I'd consider buying one just for emulators and home brew, for the fun of it. The wife and the kids both have one at this point, so mine would just be for this. Wish there was a switch joycon with a real dpad though.

spons

Gold Member
Eh, I have a switch on 3.0, but not sure if I want to stay there. If gamecube emulation is a thing, it would be worth it. Really, thats the only thing I want...

Is the Switch even powerful enough for that? High-end smartphones and tablets struggle with Dolphin and they're about the same in terms of general specs and architecture.

M3d10n

Nintendo better step up their OS security work because even if the bug is fixed in newer firmwares it already gave hackers a major window to tinker with the system and hunt for other exploits.

Does this apply to firmwares before 3.0 as well? I would honestly think about buying another Switch, but only if it will actually work.

Edit: Found a twitter post on GBATemp that said older firmwares contain the exploit as well.

Psxphile

This is on you, Nintendo. People wouldn't have the need to hack their consoles if you'd only made the system region-free!

... wait a minute...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It sucks. There's already plenty of open access handhelds. A GPD Win would be better for emulators with it's stronger CPU.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but theres no way to access the eshop if im on older firmware, correct?

Nope. Maybe in the future? Be prepared to wait for a long time if you want to go that route, though.

To be clear on something here, Apparently it's very very hard to downgrade the firmware of the Switch because any tampering will cause it to "blow a fuse" and doing it so much can just brick the thing altogether. So this will literally be like the Vita exploit, specific to the previous firmware only, not older or newer.

Dingens

The best deterrent they can have for this sort of thing is including the features people want.

Oh come on. People will continue to move the goalpost to whereever they need it to justify their need for homebrew. There has always been "some I need this because nintendo doesn't allow it"
It's crap. If excuses make you feel better about the fact that your precious homebrew leads to shitty online thanks to cheaters and to a possible software drought thanks to scared 3rd parties please go on, but don't pretend it's something that NEEDS to happen.
("you" is refering to the general you)

Watch your backs for the Nintendo Ninjas. With the lack of downgrading, expect hacking to be much less prevalent on the Switch than the 3DS. You early adopters are lucky!

Top Bottom