• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Assassin's Creed Origins Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro vs PC graphic Comparison

Md Ray

I’m having a really tough decision on where to play Origins. I have a good PC with a 1080 GPU but a 1440p monitor. I’ve heard it’s hard to hit 60fps but chances it’s going to run better than 30.

Meanwhile, I could play it on the X at near 4k and with HDR but at 30fps. Decisions...

Pretty sure a GTX 1080 will comfortably hit 60fps at 1440p if you turn down some settings like shadow, draw distance to XB1X or PS4 Pro levels, and maxing out other settings.

Watch the footage. There is a very noticeable difference beyond what the numbers lead you to believe. The X version is much sharper and cleaner with regards to jaggies

rokkerkory

That's only the computational power (measured in TFLOPS) of the GPU which is 40% more powerful. There are other parts of the GPU like memory bandwidth which is just as responsible in pumping out those pixels. Most people tend to focus more on the "TFLOPS" only, not so much on the bandwidth. So, there's a big bw advantage for the One X: 218 GB/s on Pro vs. 326 GB/s on the X. That's 50% more bandwidth in the favor of the X apart from that 40% more in the compute power. All of this helps One X in rendering more than 50% pixels than Pro in some cases.

I'm aware the bandwidth is shared between the console's GPU and CPU, and not all of the 218 GB/s or the 326 GB/s are used for the GPU alone. That's a whole another conversation for another time. :)

Really good points that is translating into tangible benefits for this game. I wonder if it'll continue to be this way for other games moving forward as sort of the baseline.

Anycase up to 80-90% more pixels vs pro at certain points in game is just staggering. Super well designed machine.

Vossler

My only thing with both the Pro and the X - they are not true 4k machines. It's such false advertising. My gtx 1080ti, I feel, is probably the minimum to currently run anything at native 4k with most bells and whistles. Even then, sometimes I have to dial it back. Feel like these comparisons are kinda meh.

Space_nut

Really good points that is translating into tangible benefits for this game. I wonder if it'll continue to be this way for other games moving forward as sort of the baseline.

Anycase up to 80-90% more pixels vs pro at certain points in game is just staggering. Super well designed machine.

Definitely many games are showing upwards of double the res over pro with enhancements like ROTTR and Shadow of War plus many other games enhanced like Outlast

rokkerkory

My only thing with both the Pro and the X - they are not true 4k machines. It's such false advertising. My gtx 1080ti, I feel, is probably the minimum to currently run anything at native 4k with most bells and whistles. Even then, sometimes I have to dial it back. Feel like these comparisons are kinda meh.

What is a 'true' 4k machine? Is there a standard definition here or just opinions?

X was always touted by MS to run xbox ONE games at 4k resolution and for the most part so far it has shown that.

Vossler

What is a 'true' 4k machine? Is there a standard definition here or just opinions?

X was always touted by MS to run xbox ONE games at 4k resolution and for the most part so far it has shown that.

True 4k would be machine that runs more than exclusives at 4k without Checkerboarding/dynamic resolutions. These (the Pro and X), jsut don't have the CPU power, which I understand as it is an all in one box as opposed to a PC. Comparing it to a PC seems pointless. Going forward, this hardware is only going to become less and less capable of pushing these higher-ish resolutions. The jaguar CPU is a mid-range laptop CPU, and the GPU is a comparable to a 980, which I had previously and struggled mightily past 1440p.

Most of us said True 4K for the most part (most are dynamic) is not going to happen with this CPU or GPU. Its still much better than the Pro but never likely to be a true 4k machine where you get full 4k (not dynamic) even 75% of the time in titles

Vossler

Most of us said True 4K for the most part (most are dynamic) is not going to happen with this CPU or GPU. Its still much better than the Pro but never likely to be a true 4k machine where you get full 4k (not dynamic) even 75% of the time in titles

Yeah, just seems like false advertising.

I’m having a really tough decision on where to play Origins. I have a good PC with a 1080 GPU but a 1440p monitor. I’ve heard it’s hard to hit 60fps but chances it’s going to run better than 30.

Meanwhile, I could play it on the X at near 4k and with HDR but at 30fps. Decisions...

In certain areas of the game, you’ll hit 60 and maintain with no problems, at pretty high settings too. It’s more an issue of the major stuttering and frame drops in certain locations. That’s not down to mine or your hardware, that’s poor optimisation.

I’m using a 1080ti at 1440p on a 144hz G Sync monitor and I’m suffering with the above issues.

In certain areas of the game, you’ll hit 60 and maintain with no problems, at pretty high settings too. It’s more an issue of the major stuttering and frame drops in certain locations. That’s not down to mine or your hardware, that’s poor optimisation.

I’m using a 1080ti at 1440p on a 144hz G Sync monitor and I’m suffering with the above issues.

Same for me on a GTX 1080 even at 1080p, its a mess optimisation wise on the PC as usual with UBI. I'd go with the Xbox One X version - especially as it has HDR

rokkerkory

True 4k would be machine that runs more than exclusives at 4k without Checkerboarding/dynamic resolutions. These (the Pro and X), jsut don't have the CPU power, which I understand as it is an all in one box as opposed to a PC. Comparing it to a PC seems pointless. Going forward, this hardware is only going to become less and less capable of pushing these higher-ish resolutions. The jaguar CPU is a mid-range laptop CPU, and the GPU is a comparable to a 980, which I had previously and struggled mightily past 1440p.

This is a fair ask however the objective of the X was to run One games at 4k.

GamingArena

I'm having a really tough decision on where to play Origins. I have a good PC with a 1080 GPU but a 1440p monitor. I've heard it's hard to hit 60fps but chances it's going to run better than 30.

Hard time? 60FPS will just obliterate any console offering including X

Space_nut

Which it doesn't a lot of the time - I'm not criticising the machine, just saying it was an unlikely thing and just PR fluff.

It doesn't? I think a lot of games have been made 4k than ones didn't. Gears 4, F7, Halo 5, Outlast 2, ROTTR, WNC, Shadow of War, etc

4k isn't mandated and shouldn't be for any system now or on the future. If you think next gen all games are 4k than I highly doubt that. Devs will always use power as they see fit. Same with 60fps. Nextgen won't be "True 4k" in your definition

Journey

Banned
Which it doesn't a lot of the time - I'm not criticising the machine, just saying it was an unlikely thing and just PR fluff.

I'm actually surprised what it has delivered. Most previous naysayers agree that it's doing more than originally thought, I mean what 1080p Xbox One games are not running 4K now? We never expected games already running at 720p or 900p to jump all the way up to 4K, but there are even a few titles like Killer Instinct which was originally a 720p game that was later boosted to 900p, now 4K/60 on Xbox One X.

Gitaroo

Really? Thought X was only 40% more powerful than pro?

A lot of the huge resolution gap and very highly due to limited vram on the pro. Sony really should have added an extra 4 gigs of vram for the pro, but instead they chose to cheap out and absolutely have to sell the pro at profit on day 1. Just like the lack of UHD drive, now they are paying for it.

if you watched the video, DF says it does have HDR.

I have it on pc and no HDR

But the PC version doesn't have HDR and people say HDR is way better than 4K resolution

that depend on the games, recore hdr looks like everything got sun burn lol.

ornery

A lot of the huge resolution gap and very highly due to limited vram on the pro. Sony really should have added an extra 4 gigs of vram for the pro, but instead they chose to cheap out and absolutely have to sell the pro at profit on day 1. Just like the lack of UHD drive, now they are paying for it.

paying for it....how?

Clutchman

Neo Member
paying for it....how?
People still watch blurays? The only time I've watched a Bluray in the past 4 years is because Best Buy was giving out Suasage Party with the purchase of a Pro. Streaming is the future as long as you have the speed to stream 4K HDR content. If anyone knows this it's Sony because well, they did come up with the format after all and its a dying format mind you.

rokkerkory

People still watch blurays? The only time I've watched a Bluray in the past 4 years is because Best Buy was giving out Suasage Party with the purchase of a Pro. Streaming is the future as long as you have the speed to stream 4K HDR content. If anyone knows this it's Sony because well, they did come up with the format after all and its a dying format mind you.

Yeah I still watch BR and UHD BRs for movies I love. I want the utmost highest quality possible and streaming cannot compare in terms of IQ.

dcx4610

Some people care about quality and owning things. You apparently do not. Just because you don’t do it doesn’t mean others aren’t watching Blurays and UHD.

Casuals stream movies, people that care buy Blu-ray and revenue for 2016 is still at 12 billion.

Bustanen

Yeah I still watch BR and UHD BRs for movies I love. I want the utmost highest quality possible and streaming cannot compare in terms of IQ.

Some people care about quality and owning things. You apparently do not. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean others aren't watching Blurays and UHD.

Casuals stream movies, people that care buy Blu-ray and revenue for 2016 is still at 12 billion.
Actually Netflix with Dolby Vision looks much better to me than regular HDR10 UHD Blu-rays. DV > resoluton.

I thought X gpu was comparable to 970?

Gitaroo

paying for it....how?

Their flagship "Pro" console looks like a fucking joke? The question "what's the point of this thing?" is more valid than ever. Those cheapskate might have save 30-50 bucks a unit, but lost all the multi platform game royalty from me forever which is already more than whatever they saved. Don't get me wrong, same question can be asked for the One X, but it offers a much better value in a 500 box. Sony wanted that one year head start, but things could have been better if they didn't cheap out on the memory, I don't even mind the lack of UHD drive as much. There are already many games that have to use lower quality texture on ps4 compare to the PC counterpart, they really think a mare 500mb increase in vram is enough for a console that is support to render at over 1080p?

I thought X gpu was comparable to 970?

defintiely higher, closer to 1060 if I have to guess. If you just look of the TF, it doesn't tells you much. You have to factor in the more modern architecture and memory bandwdith etc. Like like 970 perform better than most PRO games in 1080p with higher graphic setting, but the moment I go over 1080p, things doesn't look good.

Actually Netflix with Dolby Vision looks much better to me than regular HDR10 UHD Blu-rays. DV > resoluton.

Haven't seen it myself but based on the impression I read, its more like a case to case thing. Some are much worse, and some are better.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Watch the footage. There is a very noticeable difference beyond what the numbers lead you to believe. The X version is much sharper and cleaner with regards to jaggies
Owning both consoles and the game on both systems they both look amazing. On my 4K display the X looks sharper but both are pretty jaggy free. X is definitely the place for multiplat games might go pro on some for multiplayer player base. ACO is a beautiful game on both systems

TLZ

Banned
I didn't understand Gabe from Penny Arcade with such over the top claims:

We can see they all run fairly close, to the point I don't think it's taking real advantage of the X hardware. Gabe is on some placebo effect high or something to claim "it was like playing a different game" on the X.
Ugh. All these OTT claims make me cringe. It's obviously better, but nowhere near whatever he's on.

Actually Netflix with Dolby Vision looks much better to me than regular HDR10 UHD Blu-rays.

Couldn't disagree more but it could depend on your TV. In general streaming is never going to look better than physical media if the source content is comparable.

They should remove "True 4k" from the box and marketing slogans. It's a dumb because they can't guarantee what a developer will deliver. I'm fine with the performance level since it's way better than owning a regular Xbox One, but please sell your product based on other benefits Microsoft.

Calibos

I feel like the definition of this keeps changing to leave weaker than "Max spec" things behind.

A native 4k machine would be anything that can run modern games at 4k ignoring everything else because the term only refers to resolution right?

X1X runs Forza, Gears and other 1st party games at 4k native. CoD is almost always running Native 4k with high res textures and bells and whistles. Elder Scrolls Online was just announced as 4k native with PC ultra settings on X...Battlefront 2 was compared to PC Ultra with very little difference, but unknown resolution.

I guess the definition is heavily opinion based, but thats my 2 cents.

TLZ

Banned
huh? suddenly it doesnt matter? I remember when games on x1 were 900p and ps4 were 1080p and it mattered so much lol
900p is low and looks blurier/murkier or whatever. It's obviously less sharp. While 1440p and above isn't that visibly different and obvious in comparison.

huh? suddenly it doesnt matter? I remember when games on x1 were 900p and ps4 were 1080p and it mattered so much lol

Don't read any of the past head-to-head articles back-to-back, or you'll get whiplash from the Sony fanboi comments. :D

And yes, it matters. A lot. If it mattered before when it was Sony out front, it certainly matters now that it's Microsoft firmly ahead of the limited Sony offerings.

Don't read any of the past head-to-head articles back-to-back, or you'll get whiplash from the Sony fanboi comments. :D

And yes, it matters. A lot. If it mattered before when it was Sony out front, it certainly matters now that it's Microsoft firmly ahead of the limited Sony offerings.

It mattered more back then because MS wanted $100 more for a weaker console.

dcll

Banned
The kiddies on both sides are so cringe worthy, I can clearly remember Xbox stooges downplaying and I remember Sony stoogies boasting when the roles were reversed.

Krisprolls

Banned
I have a 1070 PC and a PS4 pro, I can't see the difference so you certainly won't see any difference with any inbetween machine like Xbox One X. It's called diminishing returns.

Unless you've got a huge screen you gain nothing over 1440p, your eyes just can't see anymore, dimishing returns have kicked in and everything looks great now.

60 fps matters though, and that's the target every console should reach. No action game should be 30 fps. That's the last big reason to play your games on PC.

Bustanen

Haven't seen it myself but based on the impression I read, its more like a case to case thing. Some are much worse, and some are better.
There's some bad ones too, but so are on BDs as well. I have 10 or so UHD BDs and most of them are hard to distinquish from regular BDs.
Couldn't disagree more but it could depend on your TV. In general streaming is never going to look better than physical media if the source content is comparable.
Difference is huge on OLED TVs.

I have a 1070 PC and a PS4 pro, I can't see the difference so you certainly won't see any difference with any inbetween machine like Xbox One X. It's called diminishing returns.

Unless you've got a huge screen you gain nothing over 1440p, your eyes just can't see anymore, dimishing returns have kicked in and everything looks great now.

60 fps matters though, and that's the target every console should reach. No action game should be 30 fps. That's the last big reason to play your games on PC.
There's a difference between 1440p and 2160p. 1800p on the other hand is really hard to tell apart from native 4K and that's what I use to get stable 60fps on most games.

rokkerkory

I feel like the definition of this keeps changing to leave weaker than "Max spec" things behind.

A native 4k machine would be anything that can run modern games at 4k ignoring everything else because the term only refers to resolution right?

X1X runs Forza, Gears and other 1st party games at 4k native. CoD is almost always running Native 4k with high res textures and bells and whistles. Elder Scrolls Online was just announced as 4k native with PC ultra settings on X...Battlefront 2 was compared to PC Ultra with very little difference, but unknown resolution.

I guess the definition is heavily opinion based, but thats my 2 cents.

I think so too but I get a sense that for many they hold the PC as the benchmark for anything 'true 4k', etc.

I don't necessarily agree with that just based on price point alone.

It doesn't? I think a lot of games have been made 4k than ones didn't. Gears 4, F7, Halo 5, Outlast 2, ROTTR, WNC, Shadow of War, etc

4k isn't mandated and shouldn't be for any system now or on the future. If you think next gen all games are 4k than I highly doubt that. Devs will always use power as they see fit. Same with 60fps. Nextgen won't be "True 4k" in your definition

I'm glad that you took the time to patiently articulate that. Every time I see the "not a true 4k console" rhetoric my eyes roll so hard that I have to collect them from the floor.

Both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X are capable 4k boxes and there are plenty of 4k games on both platforms already. In the end, if a developer decides to favour graphical detail (shader effects etc) over native resolution, then that's on them. It doesn't change the fact that the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X have been designed from a hardware level to produce games at a 4k res at the same LOD as the earlier iterations of the consoles.

My only thing with both the Pro and the X - they are not true 4k machines. It's such false advertising. My gtx 1080ti, I feel, is probably the minimum to currently run anything at native 4k with most
bells and whistles. Even then, sometimes I have to dial it back. Feel like these comparisons are kinda meh.

As someome who owns a 1080ti too, i have to say i feel true 4k is slightly overrated, especially for people who sit and watch on a averaget.v. from reasonable viewing distances.

It's definitely more noticeable for someone who is sat very close to their monitor.

I also think "all the bells and whistles" often come at an expense that's not really that tangible when playing a game.

Dont get me wrong those effects are great and are a necessary part of evolution of visuals, but often the consoles are striking a bloody good balance imo.

As someome who doesnt play first person shooters online any more. I'd happily play most games at cbr 4k and save the resources for better frame rates and even happily cut back on highest settings for one below in most cases

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm glad that you took the time to patiently articulate that. Every time I see the "not a true 4k console" rhetoric my eyes roll so hard that I have to collect them from the floor.

Both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X are capable 4k boxes and there are plenty of 4k games on both platforms already. In the end, if a developer decides to favour graphical detail (shader effects etc) over native resolution, then that's on them. It doesn't change the fact that the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X have been designed from a hardware level to produce games at a 4k res at the same LOD as the earlier iterations of the consoles.

That's not what the PS4 pro was designed to do.

Space_nut

I wouldn't say that since games on Xbox One X not only ran games in 4k but also with better assets and LOD. Gears 4, Shadow of War, F7, etc :)

How are you measuring that btw?

By third party titles. Again, not sure what anyone is trying to prove. It can do full 4k, so could the PS4 Pro, doesn't mean most titles will be as so far has been the case. Just a lot closer to it than the PS4 Pro and a better overall experience. Just be pleased with what you have. I have every console out, i'm just happy i enjoy games

I agree with this. I mean most of the games I have seen get covered have said to actually at least hit native 4k even if it may drop during action like titan fall. Never expected all games to hit 2160p but so far I have been pleased

Everybody opinion is different but this is so hard to believe. I finally got pacific rim UHD in and started watching today and I never seen a stream look that God consistently

sun-drop

no extra bells and whistles for one x then?

if this is par for the course then no one is going to be selling their pro's to jump ship mid gen.

Hawk269

My goodness 60%-90% higher res over pro o_O

Xbox One X a BEAST

Yeah it is pretty impressive. I just remember some of the naysayers saying that the GPU is "only" 40% better than the PRO and differences will be minimal. A lot of folks seemed to just focus on the GPU and not take into account the memory bandwidth, memory, improvements to the processor and all the other stuff MS put into the console. This is also with devs only having a short time with the dev kits. As they get more comfortable with it I think we may see an even bigger divide and/or when more devs incorporate higher res and/or 4k textures since they have the memory to hold them easily.

Top Bottom