• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

black070

Meant the line-up of games not the marketing deals, I guess the marketing deals are the 'biggest deals' so to say but the winning party get almost all of them in every generation.

Meant more that 3 remasters and a standalone DLC isn't something to be super excited about as a consumer. Though as people have said before, E3 will probably lead to 2-3 earlier showed games getting 2017 release dates (gran turismo, GOW?)

That's a very reductive way of dismissing those games.

Famassu

PS4 has just had what is probably the best 3-4 month period of PS4 so far or, really, any console ever + E3 is right around the corner. As usual, Sony will probably announce some stuff within the weeks leading to E3 so that some games get a little bit of time to shine alone before the avalanche of information & announcements at E3 bury everything. And then there's E3 where they'll focus on what is coming in the rest of the year and early 2018, with probably a surprise announcement or a few..

*Nintendo says relatively little* - "They have nothing!!!! Nintendoomed!!!"

*Sony says the square root of nothing* - "Pfft, who needs communication?"

Never change, GAF.

Never change from what? Making reasonable arguments as to why silence in this case is warranted? Why Nintendo must do more talking to convince people to buy their system and have faith they'll support it?

anddo0

They are charging their heavy attack.

and will unleash it in the form of

The Last of Us 2
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Days Gone
God of War
GT Sport
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Death Stranding
Detroit: Become Human
Knack 2
Spider-Man
etc....

Games speak for themselves; Sony does their talking through games.

U-R

It's a bit pointless to expect a company to talk about new market gaming synergy of service based distribution of brand recognition opportunities for customer retention and networking uptake of cloud-based single player experience focused services while their audience is actually playing real games and having a blast.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Almost every week on GAF there is a thread about an interview with Phil, or someone from Nintendo about how they thought about X / Y / Z and the making of either BOTW or Switch.....(laughs)......... (more from japan and less from Reggie).

This is normal as they both have new hardware to promote so its just an observation of the normal run of things from any company at launch.

But the OP is right, Sony have not done any PR for a while, makes you wonder if they are hiding something lol

OR maybe Sony have done PR as normal and no press have covered it widely because there is not much 'new' to make headlines.

Lol what?

Context?

Basically, lol.

There are 2 recent threads about the Switch about what some employee said.

Edit: one recent thread about what a Nintendo employee said, the other 2 from WSJ and Gamestop. Still...

Nintendo have been very talkative since the Switch launched, so I dont get what that post even meant...

Elios83

There is nothing to talk about before E3.
They have been constantly releasing great games and looking at the release schedule they will continue to do so even during summer with games like Crash Bandicoot, FFXII Zodiac Age, Yakuza Kiwami, Uncharted Lost Legacy and New Hot Shot Golf.
After that they already have marketing partnerships announced for all the major games of the upcoming fall/holiday season (Destiny 2, CODWWII, SWBF2 and RDR2).
At E3 we'll get world premieres, surprises and release dates for more games. Late summer instead is usually reserved for bundles, price cuts and hardware revisions announcements. It's the same pattern every year.
They don't have a new console to launch or an invested fanbase to reassure on social networks.

May - LocoRoco Remastered/ Farpoint
June - WipeOut Omega Collection/ Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
July - Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
August - Yakuza Kiwami/ Uncharted The Lost Legacy
September - Destiny 2 (Marketing)
October - ?
November - Call of Duty WW2/ Star Wars Battlefront II (Marketing)
December - ?

They could actually coast off what's already been announced, though this might give us an idea of when Knack 2 & Gran Turismo Sport may be releasing.

You forgot Everybody Golf's in August..

plus the other TBD 2017 titles like Patapon, Knack 2 and GT Sport.

Weird topic, what is there to talk about? Like everybody else said the games are doing the talking. MS needs to hype Scorpio or they are done.

leeh

Why do they have to say anything? They've got a great lineup.

If they did speak, the only things I think they should clarify on is EA Access and Cross-play.

GHG

Gold Member
really? can we change our psn name yet?

Yeh I really have trouble finding games to play because I can't change my PSN name.

All my friends will laugh at me if they see me playing online because of my PSN name. It ruins my self esteem :( . Therefore I just play nothing at all.

FelipeMGM

They are talking a lot actually. Even if you ignore the talk around the 7 games they published this year so far they have also confirmed dates and shown new trailers for other 5 games they will publish that are coming in 2017

They been talking a bunch, maybe you not paying attention, or dont care that much

Sony been too busy cranking out GOTY contenders the entire first quarter of 2017.

I really...REALLY want(need) Microsoft to give me a reason to buy a Scorpio. I buy all consoles, that is just what I do. My XBOX One hasn't even been turned on in almost a year due to the complete lack of games. I don't give a shit about hardware or power, as I have a PC for that. I need games Microsoft, please bring the games at E3.

BigEmil

Sony early 2017 games > rest of 2017

Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Autonata
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Persona 5
Digimon Next Order
Tales of Berseria
Hatsune Miku Project DIVA
Horizon: ZD
MLB The Show (for the Muricans otherwise irrelevant :p)

What else am i missing

Sony just had the strongest quarter this generation exclusives-wise.
Sony is busy walking the walk, while the other are still talking the talk.

Lightbreaker

Neo Member
I wouldn't use the term "killing it" because it implies that everything Sony and their collaborators dish out are straight heavy hitters which they're not. Instead, I would say Sony is exceeding highly above expectations.

Sony early 2017 games > rest of 2017

Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Gravity Rush 2
Nier Autonata
Nioh
Yakuza 0
Persona 5
Digimon Next Order

What else am i missing

The one that everyone always forgets... Hatsune Miku: Project Diva.

Oh, and a little game called Horizon.

Edit - And MLB '17, though it's sports, so no one gives a shit about that.

The big 3 all have a marketing strategy right now.

Sony: Quiet -> storm at a conference. Repeat.
Microsoft : Scorpio will be great, we swear. We will make more games and stuff, we promise.
Nintendo: Drip feed of new information for switch titles. Announce a fuckton of stuff for the 3DS every so often.

Fredrik

Games speak for themselves; Sony does their talking through games.
Last year up til now has been kind of crazy. But have you already forgotten the earlier PS4 years? Lots of talk, lots of videos, lots of waiting on 1st party games. :p After the launch window period they weren't really delivering until last year when the AAA games started to appear.

There is not that much to talk about. Games have been announced already. Just released PS VR and PS4 Pro. Sales are doing great.

So unless you want a weekly update of "yes, we are still selling a ton of these things" there is little for them to talk about.

yurinka

Quietness? They released a lot of awesome games in the recent months, so they focused on marketing them during this period.

They already have a ton of other important games (both 1st and 3rd party) coming for this and next year so will market them when needed.

But since E3 is almost here, they will wait to show important updates and announcements for games released after E3 there. But they won't show everything coming 2018 and later, since they will want to save some stuff for PSX and maybe Gamescom or similar.

Top Bottom