• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Ok, I tried doing the Font hack through the link in the OP, and I think I fucked up my Kindle. I followed the directions as it said (I did the screensaver hack successfully) and as it was updating the screen got stuck at the Amazon Kindle splash image. I rebooted and now all I get is a blank page at the home screen.

Funny thing is, pressing the Menu button works, so I tried using the uninstall .bin file but I can't get the Update Kindle dialog to come up. I can't get it to install by rebooting the kindle either. I also tried installing the default firmware from Amazon but I can't get it to work either.

Does anyone know of a way to completely reset everything on the Kindle? Including the fonts, so it would be like it was before. I really hope it's not permanent damage :\

EDIT: I managed to reset everything with what was called Recovery Mode (Hold switch for 15 seconds then hold the Home button). It formatted the entire Kindle including all my books, but at least it works now.

Eek. That's the first time I've heard that. I added this to the OP:
Backup your Kindle library by simply copying the /system/collections.json file and your documents folder to a safe location before proceeding with the jailbreak. If anything goes wrong just copy the files right back over.

It's from the howtogeek guide, but it's worth repeating.

Great King Bowser said:
Where can I find those games on the Amazon UK store?

This is from the mobileRead forum:
You can change your Country of residence to the US of A in the 'Manage your Kindle' section and download the games, then change your country back to Canada. That's what I did.

Hope that helps

I have a feeling that this solution works everywhere - Let us know.

Mike M

Nick N
I have The New Oxford American Dictionary sitting in my archived items, despite already having it downloaded on my Kindle. I click on it in the Kindle, and it tells me "This title is not available on Kindle."

How do I get rid of this listing?

Manics

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:
This is from the mobileRead forum:

I have a feeling that this solution works everywhere - Let us know.

Changing your country of residence works for anything in the Amazon store. If there are Kindle books only available in the U.S. and not in Canada but you live in Canada and want the book, change your address to a U.S. one, buy the book, then change it back. Vice versa too. Sometimes a book will be a lower price in the Canadian (or US) store and I'll pick the lower price one by changing my address. I have no idea why they let you get away with this, but I'm not complaining.

Manics said:
Changing your country of residence works for anything in the Amazon store. If there are Kindle books only available in the U.S. and not in Canada but you live in Canada and want the book, change your address to a U.S. one, buy the book, then change it back. Vice versa too. Sometimes a book will be a lower price in the Canadian (or US) store and I'll pick the lower price one by changing my address. I have no idea why they let you get away with this, but I'm not complaining.

Which means I could have gotten the last Malazan book early from the UK store. That is good info to know. I'll add it to the tips section.

Karakand

3N16MA said:
Another question. I'm assuming that most of you are avid readers. Do you miss not having a physical collection of books? Having a bookcase filled with your favorites?
I still have shelves and shelves + a library card that's always got overdue charges on it.

If you can completely switch to e-books you probably don't read good books.

Esiquio

I just got off the phone with Kindle customer support,and I immediately felt the need to rave in this thread.

So my lady bought me a Kindle 3G with that snazzy leather lighted cover for Valentine's Day. Everythings been great until last night when one of my kids accidentaly snapped the cover off! The bottom pin was horribly bent and the top pin snapped off completely and the bottom hook holes plastic was warped. Needless to say,I was pretty bummed out about this.

So I call customer support tonight, at 7 PM, expecting nothing. Instead, a lady picks up within 10 seconds, and 15 minutes later I hang up, a brand new Kindle and cover, sent 2-day shipping coming my way, with pre-paid return labels alrready e-mailed. Ridiculous.

Their number is 1-866-321-8851.

Sent from my soon to be replaced Kindle :)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Esiquio said:
I just got off the phone with Kindle customer support,and I immediately felt the need to rave in this thread.

So my lady bought me a Kindle 3G with that snazzy leather lighted cover for Valentine's Day. Everythings been great until last night when one of my kids accidentaly snapped the cover off! The bottom pin was horribly bent and the top pin snapped off completely and the bottom hook holes plastic was warped. Needless to say,I was pretty bummed out about this.

So I call customer support tonight, at 7 PM, expecting nothing. Instead, a lady picks up within 10 seconds, and 15 minutes later I hang up, a brand new Kindle and cover, sent 2-day shipping coming my way, with pre-paid return labels alrready e-mailed. Ridiculous.

Their service is really fast. Mine got 'lost' in the post by the DHL guy and they shipped a replacement to me (in Australia) within a day or so.

Maybe this is answered somewhere, but I have a Sony Reader (which I've recently unshelved and found that I actually really like) and I'd like to buy stuff from the Amazon store. Is there a way to convert Amazon books to use on other devices? Does Calibre work?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Esiquio said:

Amazon has amazing customer service. The company is just awesome.

Vyer

Weenerz said:
Was sad to see that Amazon was only selling their official case with the included light (which I did not want)..

Out of curiosity, why is that? Case w/light is awesome. And, as was mentioned, people have had problems with the regular one.

I consider the lighted cover to be an essential accessory. The retractable light, the ingenious method by which it draws power, how the case itself prevents you from accidentally hitting the page buttons, and the high-quality feel of the leather and soft insides - it's just perfect. I can't imagine using my Kindle naked.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It is awesome -- and I'm a happy owner -- but it makes the Kindle quite a bit heavier and bigger. Which is why I do alternate between naked and covered depending.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Vyer said:
Out of curiosity, why is that? Case w/light is awesome. And, as was mentioned, people have had problems with the regular one.
I just got my replacement lighted case today. The non light feels much better. It's thinner and both front and back are the same thickness, unlike the lighted.

Vyer

Ah, ok. Didn't know there was a big difference between the weight of each (though obviously I knew it would be heavier).

I do like how the combination helps with that 'feel' of having a book in your hands - one of the things that helped me transition easier into an ereader - so I supposed I never really considered the alternative.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's all relative -- it's not like the case makes it onerous but the Kindle naked is so nice and small that it is noticeable. Cases certainly do give the Kindle a nice book feel though.

Polari

Anyone know how good of a job Kindlefeeder.com does compared to calibre? I really like calibre's results, a web service definitely seems preferable in terms of not having to have my PC on and calibre open for it to work.

Also, can anyone recommend any good weekly subscriptions? I don't want to bother subscribing to daily sources as I just read them on the net anyway, but weekly feature articles would be sweet.

Weenerz

Banned
Vyer said:

The places I read are well lit, so the light was useless. I found a regular version of the case at Target though.

HeadlessRoland said:
This is nonsense. You can find some compatible format for 90% of the worlds printed material.

Would you still argue with him if he had inserted the word "legally" after completely?

And even if one admits pirated e-books, most of those are scans and thus not imho well suited for reading on a regular kindle.

If I can't find an e-book on Amazon does it mean it doesn't exist in digital format? or have publishing companies signed deals of exclusivity with certain retailers? I'm looking for some Charles Bukowski.

leroy hacker said:
Would you still argue with him if he had inserted the word "legally" after completely?

Im not sure how I would respond if he changed his whole argument. I play it by ear.

And even if one admits pirated e-books, most of those are scans and thus not imho well suited for reading on a regular kindle.

This is incorrect, "scans" of books is like the 90's era level of sophistication. Not condoning theft but a majority of books have some online version in existence. Whether you have access to it or not is another matter.

Tim-E

Esiquio said:

My Kindle was accidentally mailed to an old address of mine and the person there claimed that the mailman handed them an opened, empty box (total horseshit, of course). Amazon was fantastic about it and unlinked my Amazon account from the device and gave me a refund without any hassle at all.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
3N16MA said:
Another question. I'm assuming that most of you are avid readers. Do you miss not having a physical collection of books? Having a bookcase filled with your favorites?

I still buy physical copies of the odd secondhand book and books with pictures and maps (mainly history). Plus, I import books that are only published in the UK so I generally have to buy physical copies of those. Although I have noticed more new releases that aren't published in print in the US getting Kindle versions on the US store.

Manics said:

Thank you! Not only did this let me pre order A Dance With Dragons for $9.99 as opposed to $14.99 it also let me use an amazon credit that I had lying around that I couldn't use on books that were sold by specific publishers. Friggen AWESOME!

mrkgoo said:
I've always been interested in a kindle for the free 3G browsing. Is it worth it for that?
I see you have a ton of "NO" responses, but as someone who doesn't have other 3G browsing, I say it's "SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER THAN NOTHING". It's definitely no home browsing experience, but collect enough bookmarks for mobile-friendly versions of sites you'll use, and it's very convenient. I use it a lot for Twitter, Gmail, Wikipedia, Google, Amazon.
3N16MA said:
For me, very much the opposite. I've collected enough crap of all sorts that I feel like I'm running out of physical space, and books are some of the easiest things to let go. So volume-consuming for things I mostly use once over a period of a few days. Getting rid of most of mine, though I'm keeping some favorites and image-heavy ones.

AstroLad said:
It is awesome -- and I'm a happy owner -- but it makes the Kindle quite a bit heavier and bigger. Which is why I do alternate between naked and covered depending.

I put it in the cover the day I bought it and haven't removed it, so I guess I've just gotten used to it.

Manics

Banned
bishopcruz said:
Thank you! Not only did this let me pre order A Dance With Dragons for $9.99 as opposed to $14.99 it also let me use an amazon credit that I had lying around that I couldn't use on books that were sold by specific publishers. Friggen AWESOME!

I do what I can ;-)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
HiroProtagonist said:
Have you considered using something like rubber coating spray on the metal prongs of your non-lighted case?
Nope. I just sold my non lighted case for more than I paid for it. Sweet deal.

Angst

Manics said:
Sooner or later you will get an e-mail from Amazon demanding you to show them some kind of proof of residence. I changed my address to a US one and later got the mail. I presume they know where you really are based on you IP, but as you might be a US resident on travel etc they want you to prove it.

I changed back to my normal address and they didn't mention it again. Also they didn't cancel my erroneously priced order. I have a strong feeling that they will do something if you keep doing it though. Or maybe it's just the publisher they have to satisfy and by sending the email they can say that they're doing what they can to stop people from changing to a false address?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
There's a book on the UK kindle store that isn't in the US one, can I get it by doing some kind of account voodoo?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
mattiewheels said:
There's a book on the UK kindle store that isn't in the US one, can I get it by doing some kind of account voodoo?

Not sure about US/UK because the UK stuff is actually sold on a totally separate store, but for US/Canada you can just add an address from the opposite country, switch to that address, and Bob's your uncle.

Edit: Well I feel like an idiot for responding to your post when all the posts above yours were about this very fact. Man, oh man.

Manics

Banned
Angst said:
Sooner or later you will get an e-mail from Amazon demanding you to show them some kind of proof of residence. I changed my address to a US one and later got the mail. I presume they know where you really are based on you IP, but as you might be a US resident on travel etc they want you to prove it.

I changed back to my normal address and they didn't mention it again. Also they didn't cancel my erroneously priced order. I have a strong feeling that they will do something if you keep doing it though. Or maybe it's just the publisher they have to satisfy and by sending the email they can say that they're doing what they can to stop people from changing to a false address?

It's not a fake address though, I've actually had stuff SHIPPED to the U.S. address when I wanted something and wanted to save on import duties (it's a friends place). Who's to say I don't vacation down there and want stuff shipped there from time to time?

Angst

Manics said:
It's not a fake address though, I've actually had stuff SHIPPED to the U.S. address when I wanted something and wanted to save on import duties (it's a friends place). Who's to say I don't vacation down there and want stuff shipped there from time to time?
Then you shouldn't have any issues. But most people just look up an address online and use that - and that might get them in trouble. I haven't heard of anyone getting into trouble for this, but people should know that Amazon is monitoring things like this and that it might lead to some kind of action from Amazon. I'm not saying it's likely, but if you continuously abuse the system to get the best price Amazon might suspend your account or something.

Manics

Banned
Angst said:
Then you shouldn't have any issues. But most people just look up an address online and use that - and that might get them in trouble. I haven't heard of anyone getting into trouble for this, but people should know that Amazon is monitoring things like this and that it might lead to some kind of action from Amazon. I'm not saying it's likely, but if you continuously abuse the system to get the best price Amazon might suspend your account or something.

Everyone in this thread please forget I ever said anything about this. Thank you. :)

I just want to mention right now, as my girlfriend watches netflix on the Roku that we got for 50% off, that I really love the ad supported kindle. Since it launched, I have saved almost $100 off amazon stuff. Seriously loving this thing. :)

Bboy AJ

HiroProtagonist said:
You sold the cover that was crashing your kindle? Yeah.... that's sweet. *side eye*
I emailed the buyer first and she said she was aware of the problem. Not my call to make, after my disclosure.

Two quick questions for those that have read A Song of Ice and Fire series.

I currently want to buy the books for my Kindle but am debating on buying the entire set verus buying the books separately. How are the Kindle versions compared to the physical versions? Also, would it be better to buy the set over individual versions or vice versa?

Thanks!

Polari

Auron_Kale said:

I currently want to buy the books for my Kindle but am debating on buying the entire set verus buying the books separately. How are the Kindle versions compared to the physical versions? Also, would it be better to buy the set over individual versions or vice versa?

Thanks!

The paperback set is $18 on Amazon, whereas the Kindle set will cost like $40 so I'd just get the paperbacks and if you want to read it on your Kindle...

Manics

Banned
Polari said:
The paperback set is $18 on Amazon, whereas the Kindle set will cost like $40 so I'd just get the paperbacks and if you want to read it on your Kindle...
The Kindle set is $17.80 where are you seeing $40??

renitou

ReBurn said:
Kindle as a device is cool. Kindle as a platform is awesome! I can download my Kindle purchases to practically every device I have. My iPad is my primary eReader, but being able to pick up where I left off on my phone is awesome when I have unexpected downtime.

I'm planning to get the device because I like the form factor. Can't wait!
You won't regret it. I read e-books much, much more regularly (and for longer periods) with a dedicated e-reader than I ever did with a traditional LCD screen. The lack of distractions and eye-friendly display work wonders for extended reading sessions.

Chichikov

renitou said:
You won't regret it. I read e-books much, much more regularly (and for longer periods) with a dedicated e-reader than I ever did with a traditional LCD screen. The lack of distractions and eye-friendly display work wonders for extended reading sessions.
I like to pretend that the bolded isn't a big deal for me, but I would be lying.
Just so we're clear, I'm not going to be one of those guys, you know, the type of people who would say that having a shitty browser is a good feature or by design.
So I guess what I'm saying is that FUCK YOU MTV, YOU GAVE ME ADD or something.

Manics

Banned
Auron_Kale said:

Thanks!
To answer your quesition directly, I bought the Kindle 4 book set, initially the table of contents were screwed up but Amazon pushed out a fix like a week later. There is a main TOC where you can jump to any of the 4 books. I've read all 4 previously in paperback and have re-read A Game of Thrones on the Kindle so far. It was great reading on the kindle. I find reading books in general is more enjoyable with the Kindle for some reason.

Anyway the formatting of the text for the Ice and Fire books are fine. I compared to the paper backs and they look the same. Maybe ill throw ip some screenshots when I'm home Thursday.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Manics said:

should note that I've been doing this, then I went on a free book rampage from the free book section for kindle, on about the 8th book it gave me an 'please confirm your address' error.

I got the rest of em, but couldn't download anything else until I changed my address back to the netherlands. this screwed me over for a while as my work is proxied via UK, so it still wouldn't work until I tried from home.

In short, make sure your address is your real address unless trying to buy books for cheaper from other regions and try to use it sparingly (or via proxies)

Top Bottom