• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC/PS4/XB1) [Update: Big images in OP]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fix your fucking website, Game Informer. The "Creating The Futuristic World Of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" link is dead. And the "How Rembrandt And Da Vinci Helped Design Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" video feature isn't in the hub, but on the main page, and also a dead link.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Fix your fucking website, Game Informer. The "Creating The Futuristic World Of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" link is dead. And the "How Rembrandt And Da Vinci Helped Design Deus Ex: Mankind Divided" video feature isn't in the hub, but on the main page, and also a dead link.

Anyone else surprised we haven't had any info from Game Informer yet on the tech or the engine? Or any new screens?

Ruff

Yeah the real time shots were got don't look all that hot but i'm good with it.

I mean they look good for sure, but no top of the line for consoles or anything.

Are these real time shots though?

If so, then I find these particular ones super impressive. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing Deus Ex so much in the day time.

Absolutely not, those are pure concept art. You can even see the brush strokes.

IqYMEiw.png

And while they're at it, they could lift their ridiculous region lock.

Bloodrage

Banned

I mean they look good for sure, but no top of the line for consoles or anything.

If so, then I find these particular ones super impressive. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing Deus Ex so much in the day time.
None of the screens in the OP look real-time or in-game. The game won't even come close to what we're seeing here.

Älg

Yeah these are concept art. They're drawings.

Red Hood

Banned
Do we know this?

It should be gone, because the golden look a.k.a. "piss filter" was meant to show the golden age of human augmentation, the same way a lot of paintings were goldish/yellowish in the actual Renaissance. And since we all know how that turned out in DX:HR, there's no reason at all to speak of a golden age in Mankind Divided.

Abraxas

I'm playing through DXHR DC again right now, and as soon as I saw that Zenith picture, I was in on an even higher level. I am immensely excited for this game.

I hope that there are animations for changing between these settings on weapons

clOQzoz.jpg

I hope they fix the names. Give me 5 minutes and I'll come up with more flavoursome names than "laser 1", "scope 1" and "combat rifle ammo". It's not hard guys just insert a random future brand name. You've already got Deus Ex series companies and shit. GeneriTech 4x Optical Sight. 6.5mm AP ammunition.

I hope that there are animations for changing between these settings on weapons

clOQzoz.jpg
you know, on this topic... I'm not sure it's underrated or just no one else subjectively cares as much...

but I thought HR had really great weapons. which was surprising because I hated the guns in the original (which was fine and a complete non-factor, and I tried to play stealthy anyhow). I just mean, I went in not expecting to like the gunplay or guns in HR, and sure the gunplay wasn't good... but I really liked the look and sound of the guns.

especially that machine pistol... upgraded the mods of that thing and it was probably one of my favorite guns in a game.

actually last night by chance, I decided to try the PS3 version of HR because I just remembered I have it free from PS+, and while the most obvious things about playing the game for a few hours was, well the first thing was I'm only just to try it a bit, if I want to fully replay it I neeeed my KBM lol but the others were 1. wow the start of the game is great... one of the best stories of last-gen, 2. the neon and streets signs, Adam's apartment... the office rooms, love the art of this game... the 3. thing was actually how much I like the look and sound of the machine pistol haha

the gunplay isn't really that good. and the bosses are terrible. but the cover system is servicable, and the enemy light/medium/heavy design is kinda cool (well, looks cool in a shootout at least), and the shootouts between a group of all 3 types in the great office interiors is actually still a lot of fun.

you know, on this topic... I'm not sure it's underrated or just no one else subjectively cares as much...

but I thought HR had really great weapons. which was surprising because I hated the guns in the original (which was fine and a complete non-factor, and I tried to play stealthy anyhow). I just mean, I went in not expecting to like the gunplay or guns in HR, and sure the gunplay wasn't good... but I really liked the look and sound of the guns.

especially that machine pistol... upgraded the mods of that thing and it was probably one of my favorite guns in a game.

I'm currently replaying HR, and I have to second this. The sounds of the weapons and Jensen's animations using them just feel really good. Even small things like the smooth closing and click of the stun gun when holstering it, or popping in a new dart into the tranquilizer gun after firing all feel really satisfying.

BlackRock

Little late to the news, but this is the best gaming news I've heard all year. I'm super excited that the franchise is continuing.

DXHR really was an outstanding game, and one of my personal favorite of all time. I'm a huge fan of the original game, and was deeply impressed at how well Eidos Montreal managed to recapture the feel and play style of the original. Sure, it had some minor flaws (boss battles, some useless or overpowered augs, etc.), but far and away it was outstanding. The cover system actually worked well, and I came to really like it, even as I was deeply suspicious of it at first. All of the old freedom of choice was back along with the city exploration and side quests. It was so much fun just exploring, talking to people, and listening in on NPC conversations the first time I played. The art direction was impeccable, the voice work excellent, the locations so dense and interesting, and the story was well told (even if there are some loose threads that I hope are finally resolved in Mankind Divided).

Anyway, this is very exciting news, and the trailer looks great (HR had an incredible trailer, btw - one of the best I ever remember).

dlauv

Gunplay in the original was pretty dick unless you upgraded your aiming. Then you were literally a well-oiled machine, and the reserved gun feel and the lack of health made more sense.

But boy, I never really appreciated just how improved the AI was in DX until I went back to HR to finish off my remaining achievements. Original AI is dense as hell.

I'm currently replaying HR, and I have to second this. The sounds of the weapons and Jensen's animations using them just feel really good. Even small things like the smooth closing and click of the stun gun when holstering it, or popping in a new dart into the tranquilizer gun after firing all feel really satisfying.
Yeah... I mean, it's not exceptional in general... the general shotgun isn't very satisfying, though shotguns have always been that way in DX. Even the double-barrel, looks and sounds good but the visual feedback isn't very tangible. And I'm not a fan of the regular rifl or tranq rifle, either, in either game. But a few of them are really satisfying. The silenced rifle has a great plink and hit detection when you really plink someone off. The handgun and stun baton are great... in both HR and DX1, loved the handgun and a well placed baton stun. But the automatic rifle and machine pistol are especially great I think because they look and sound really good, too. Especially after you've modded the machine pistol haha. I don't use it a lot because I usually try to ghost lol (I'm a big silenced rifle fan if I'm not going pacifist, in which case I just melee) but it's a great little gun. All the reload sounds, like you said... same for the silenced or tranq rifles. Just aesthetically satisfying to use, reload, fire, etc.

There's room for improvement and the gunplay isn't all that great. I mean, it's not quite something like Global Operations (CS clone that had some of the best guns, bullet velocity depth penetration, and the best sounding guns, its AK, outside of Payday 2)... but it was better than I expected for DX, and at least aesthetically they nailed it.

dlauv

With the old AI, they're more likely to funnel in towards you like idiots, or stand out in the open and strafe. Less interesting fire fights. At least this is how I felt playing both entries back to back over the course of a weekend using similar builds. In HR they take cover more, basically. Their flanking is a bit smarter too, I think, but it could have been coincidence.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
With the old AI, they're more likely to funnel in towards you like idiots, or stand out in the open and strafe. Less interesting fire fights. At least this is how I felt playing both entries back to back over the course of a weekend using similar builds. In HR they take cover more, basically. Their flanking is a bit smarter too, I think, but it could have been coincidence.

Are you talking about the original Deus Ex and Human revolution? They're over a decade apart. I would hope the AI is improved.

I did notice playing Missing Link last week that enemies would flank you completely going all the way around a map if you took cover where they couldn't attack you head on. Impressive, and had I not had a radar to track their movements, it would've fought me completely off Gaurd.

dlauv

Are you talking about the original Deus Ex and Human revolution? They're over a decade apart. I would hope the AI is improved.

I did notice playing Missing Link last week that enemies would flank you completely going all the way around a map if you took cover where they couldn't attack you head on. Impressive, and had I not had a radar to track their movements, it would've fought me completely off Gaurd.

no, lol

hr and hrdx
& yes, hrdx uses the ai improvements from missing link

That interview was interesting where he defended the DXHR bosses a bit by saying it was mostly stealth players that disliked the bosses.... I'm not sure about that. Even by gunplay and action standards, the bosses were rather horrid. Not to mention very little anticipating for the fights or excitement at the prospect of finally killing the enemy, but just the core gameplay, too, where the strawmen took a few rifle clips, ten rounds of shotgun buck, a half dozen rocks, a few mines, and a plasma blast to the face. Not exactly the frailty of Anna Navarre. There was certainly much more wrong with them that just not stealth, hacking, and dialogue options, but the gunplay and action itself, too. That said, he was probably just being protective, and his focus on improving gunplay, general boss options and freedom, and production values (should translate to QA to make sure the bosses are fun) are all good signs.

Top Bottom