• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT4| Official Halo Thread of Polearms and High Fashion

Zubz

Banned
Well the Balance Changes blogpost is over 3 months old now.

We are exactly 5 weeks away from the date that Scream Fortress should theoretically launch.

Does it even make sense to launch Pyro/Jungle update so close to Scream Fortress and before it?

Won't that take the hype (whatever is left of it) away from the update and make it less memorable?

Maybe Dane was right. It's coming out September 6th. Next year.

Everything in TF2 since MYM has been embarrassing.

Wait, we were getting a Pyro/Jungle update? I'd love a good reason to get back into TF2! That said, I have little faith in Valve these days; I'm willing to join you all in your pessimism about not even getting Scream Fortress.

Bluth54

Wait, we were getting a Pyro/Jungle update? I'd love a good reason to get back into TF2! That said, I have little faith in Valve these days; I'm willing to join you all in your pessimism about not even getting Scream Fortress.

Yeah one of the head TF2 developers Dave Riller confirmed in an interview this past February that we're getting an update with pyro rebalances and a new class pack of weapons, a Valve made Jungle themed map, community made Jungle themed cosmetics, taunts and maps, an improved competitive matchmaking system with placement matches and an ELO system, a new "choose your own adventure" style campaign system where you get to work towards the rewards you want (which will include non stock reskins) and a new 4-5 minute SFM video.

It's going to be a big update but it's hard to say why exactly it's taking so long, we're around 450 days since Meet Your Match launched and still nothing. We're getting so close to Scream Fortress that it's hard to say what exactly will happen, usually Scream Fortress gets either the highest or closed to the highest concurrent player count of the year and I know Valve is fixing issues for map makers working on Halloween maps but who knows at this point.

Bluth54

Turns out the Pyro/Jungle update is actually a SteamVR Home update with a bunch of TF2 assets.

Hey at least it's nice to see the Asteroid robots getting some work in another Valve game since the TF2 team doesn't seem to be interested in finishing Asteroid.

_Aaron_

I actually liked playing asteroid for the most part. Cactus canyon on the other was one of the worst maps ive ever played.

Bluth54

I actually liked playing asteroid for the most part. Cactus canyon on the other was one of the worst maps ive ever played.

Cactus Canyon just always felt like an okay payload map to me. The final stage did some intersting things though, like the lack of starting time, the train going through the level and having to hold the payload on the train tracks to win.

I was never a fan of Asteroid, visually it looks very nice but it's just another CTF style game mode in a game that has too many CTF style game modes already.

Bluth54

The really great thing about Nathan Vetterlein is that he plays TF2 unlike the other TF2 voice actors (most of the other actors are older and don't seem to play many videogames). Because Nathan actually plays the game he seems to know his character and the rest of the TF2 lore quite a bit better than the other actors and is able to improv new Scout lines and play entire games as Scout if he wants to.

Bluth54

Former Valve artist Drew Wolf posted some concept art of an internal pitch to the TF2 team for female character models

DKgI_8dWkAAY0xs.jpg

I doubt the pitch got very far for a lot of reasons needing to double up on voice lines, issues with different hit boxes and cosmetic item compatibility.

r/tf2 has finished their 10th anniversary mosaic:

Good GOD I love you guys. You wanna know what an EXCEPTIONALLY COOL WORK OF ART you wonderful sons-of-guns made?
Over the course of about a month, I've been sent 1,147 total drawings, paintings, SFM/GMod posters, pixel sprites, cosplay photos, sculptures, crafts, and even confectioneries from 500+ artists across multiple platforms. Then I used this program to compile them all onto one big-ass, 18,856 x 10,606 pixel canvas (though the image link above is significantly smaller to cut down on load times for you guys). That's about 5 ft by 3 ft (or 160 cm by 89 cm) if it's printed at 300 dpi. And it's all done just in time for TF2's ten year anniversary.
I feel the need to punctuate here with another "I LOVE YOU GUYS."
mosaic_smaller_by_medli20-dbpfhcs.png

It really is something how enthusiastic and optimistic the community is for this ancient clunker and its uncaring devs. Here's to another ten years y'all.

commissar

It really is something how enthusiastic and optimistic the community is for this ancient clunker and its uncaring devs. Here's to another ten years y'all.
I was gonna say this seemed a little harsh, but because the crafting system is so terrible I was able to unknowingly craft a gifted weapon into scrap today.

Great job team.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
r/tf2 has finished their 10th anniversary mosaic:

https://orig00.deviantart.net/5c93/f/2017/276/e/2/mosaic_smaller_by_medli20-dbpfhcs.png

I drew some quick art for this! It's easiest to spot in the bottom row, where it pops up a couple times hehe.

TotH was amazing as well... the TF2 community is pretty damn special and I always wanna come back to it. Valve, please give us more reason to... ._.

I can't believe I honestly thought Valve would do right by the TF2 community and celebrate 10 years of this wonderful game in a grand style.

And instead we just have meaningless Pyro hype and no announcement of Scream Fortress.

Just watch, Pyro Update is going to be Scream Fortress IX.

Bluth54

I can't believe I honestly thought Valve would do right by the TF2 community and celebrate 10 years of this wonderful game in a grand style.

And instead we just have meaningless Pyro hype and no announcement of Scream Fortress.

Hopefully we at least get a blog post from Valve tonight, it will be pretty disapointing if we get or hear nothing from them.

Fox318

That would require people at valve to care.

_Aaron_

Robin Walker did an interview with PC Gamer on celebrating 10 years of The Orange Box:

On TF2:
You've kept updating and transforming Team Fortress 2 over the years, and few competitive games have that kind of lifespan. What's been the philosophy behind that? How have you kept reinventing the game while still making it recognisably TF2?

The philosophy is pretty simple—listen to your players, pay attention to what they're doing, ship your work, and iterate as much as possible. But TF2's a strange thing. In some ways, it seems so different to how it launched in 2007, but at the same time, it still feels utterly familiar. There are still Snipers on the battlements in 2Fort having a fine old time paying no attention to what's going on with their flag in the basement. There's a much wider set of potential threats to deal with than they faced back in 2007, but they now have many more choices in exactly how they want to face them. And no matter what they decide, they can ensure they look different to all the other Snipers in the game.

So TF2's core gameplay seems to be fairly resilient in the face of all the horrible things we've done to it, and I think that's largely due to how we've approached our role in the process. We've always felt that our job was to support players in whatever they're trying to do. As a result, it's the players who've decided how TF2 should be played throughout the last decade. We've added all kinds of elements to the game, from both our and the community's minds, and the players have been the ones to digest and choose the way those elements ended up incorporated into the whole, even if it meant outright rejection in some cases.

PC Gamer also wrote another article TF2's legacy: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-team-fortress-2-changed-fpses-forever/

Just wanted to say happy tenth birthday to this insane, amazing game. I've never played a video game for as many years or for so many hours or had so much fun. It's been about a year since I last played but I'm going to boot it up tonight and jump right back for old times' sake.

Bluth54

The taunts playlist on the TF2 Youtube channel was updated yesterday and it now has 8 private videos. Perhaps the update really is very imminent.

_Aaron_

Cool, some new info.

Scream Fortress should launch in like 11 days. Do you think they'll combine the updates? Or just skip Scream Fortress entirely?

Bluth54

Cool, some new info.

Scream Fortress should launch in like 11 days. Do you think they'll combine the updates? Or just skip Scream Fortress entirely?

It's so hard to know what their plan is this year. None of the taunts are really Halloween related unless maybe the Yeti is going to be a boss monster.

Blizzard

Banned
They actually done did it, they gave Hale a model and voice.
I'm more excited that they finally gave Pyro a decent rocket jump, it would appear. I wonder how the class will turn out.

That video felt really bad and un-valve-like for the first couple of minutes, but it picked up after that.

I'm more excited that they finally gave Pyro a decent rocket jump, it would appear. I wonder how the class will turn out.

That video felt really bad and un-valve-like for the first couple of minutes, but it picked up after that.
Giving Pyro a boosted jump also changes the dynamic for a bunch of old maps. In Gravelpit, does the boost mean you can then jump into the spawn-hallways for A? What about Steel's E? How does this change the Detonator since Detonator Jumping has been made redundant?

_Aaron_

Nice it's finally here. Although I won't be able to play the game for another 2 and half weeks, it will interesting to see how this unfolds and if it was worth the wait.

Top Bottom