• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

wilco

Neo Member
As for Memoranda, when I went to their site, it said the game was out mid 2015 and the last update in the news section was feb 2015, so not sure if that's supposed to be out this year either.

Memoranda will be released January 25th according to the last backer update. They already sent the keys

wilco

Neo Member
I'm not a big P&C type of guy, but I somehow ended up buying the Blackwell games, Dropsy and Technobabylon since they were so cheap, so... I guess it's time for me to become a P&C guy.

How obtuse are the puzzles in these games, should I keep a guide handy just in case? I tend to use guides with games like JRPGs quite often since I want to see as much content as I can on the first playthrough, but I doubt there's much to actually miss in these games, so I dunno.

Start with Blackwell, it starts small and easier for newcomers and still very good. Do avoid using a walkthrough since the puzzles are a big part of the fun but it you get frustrated just look for a hint, There isn't much to miss in these games.
Dropsy is good but more obtuse.

aravuus

Start with Blackwell, it starts small and easier for newcomers and still very good. Do avoid using a walkthrough since the puzzles are a big part of the fun but it you get frustrated just look for a hint, There isn't much to miss in these games.
Dropsy is good but more obtuse.

Gotcha, thanks! Dropsy will come last anyway, I'll wait for the update.

Knurek

I'm not a big P&C type of guy, but I somehow ended up buying the Blackwell games, Dropsy and Technobabylon since they were so cheap, so... I guess it's time for me to become a P&C guy.
How obtuse are the puzzles in these games, should I keep a guide handy just in case? I tend to use guides with games like JRPGs quite often since I want to see as much content as I can on the first playthrough, but I doubt there's much to actually miss in these games, so I dunno.

Blackwell games have really good, logical puzzles and from the third onwards inbuilt hint system. You should be able to get through them with minimal help - it helps to remember one of your PCs can do things normal people can't (I always forget about this part).

Tizoc

I just beat Batman Telltale, if you like Telltale's plots and characters you'll likely enjoy this.
For one thing it has a different take on the batman mythos which I really enjoyed and recommend playing it for that.

aravuus

Also, do try to get Resonance and Primordia a try.

2 euros a piece... Ah fuck it, I'll buy these too. These games are insanely cheap, what the hell.

Also, I just realized I lied a bit. I have played a couple of point & click games before - namely the Chzo Mythos games. I remember absolutely loving the first two.

I really need to get back into this genre. Some of my favourite games are p&c. I love how there's still games of this ilk being developed.

And yeah, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is probably the one I endear most:

A little bit to the north and a little bit to the east... Salaam effendi

Thanks for creating this thread :)

just played Contradiction, that was damn good and I didn't think I would like a FMV game that much.(well I can't say that I liked Her Story)

What else can I play that's in the same vein?

Have you looked into The Bunker? I haven't played it but it's been on my radar to check out at the right price.

Knurek

2 euros a piece... Ah fuck it, I'll buy these too. These games are insanely cheap, what the hell.

If you want something good that's not published by Wadjet Eye, try these two as well:

And yes, PnC adventure games make standard VN pricing scheme seem absolutely bonkers.

Tizoc

I am playing Her Story
and I am bored
While I GET why people praised it, having to search through like 50 specific words just to fill the database and uncover the truth is boring me.
I may as well stop and just read about the game on TVtropes @_@

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just hit the part in Book of a Unwritten Tales 2 where you have to go to the past a couple times......oh hell yes. This game is incredibly well written and acted too, what I nice effort.

Tizoc

Just beat Gorristor's story in I have no mouth. Seems each character's playthru has their own multiple endings?

Slowly making my thru the game what with the interface and all :p

I just hit the part in Book of a Unwritten Tales 2 where you have to go to the past a couple times......oh hell yes. This game is incredibly well written and acted too, what I nice effort.

back in the first game I had to click on EVERY object until I can get an item or am left with the stuff that I should interact with, is that the same here?

Haganeren

I really want that Star Mazer.... Blending of two genre totally different that i love would be amazing ! To bad the "space dandy" setting don't do much to me...

I like that Dropsy have an update... Before i'm playing it Hope the game is as good as everyone say !

wouwie

As far as I could see all of Daedalic's games are still "TBA" - let me know if any of them have been confirmed for 2017.

As for Memoranda, when I went to their site, it said the game was out mid 2015 and the last update in the news section was feb 2015, so not sure if that's supposed to be out this year either.

My post wasn't meant in a "you should add those games to the OT" kind of way :) I was just listing a few games i'm looking forward to (despite not really being a fan of most Daedalic games). None of those have an official release date (other than Memoranda) anyway but i hope we'll see most of them in 2017.

Tizoc

Playing thru Inherit the Earth and just got to this scene which I really enjoyed :p
https://youtu.be/YxJN7EzWBC8?t=47

It's an overall OK PnC game but gets into the usual trappings of having to figure out where to go and what items to get. One part that I was a little stumped in was the maze area that came after this but...turns out it wasn't as complex :V

Milkmaid of the Milky Way is now available (20% off, $6.39).

I'll aim to pick it up along with the new Picross game that's releasing soon.

ubique

So I wanna replay the Broken Sword series before I finally play 5. Should I even attempt to play the remasters of 1 and 2 if I really dislike those ugly ass portraits that apparently pop up during conversations? Sorry if you're reading this Dave Gibbons

Tizoc

So I wanna replay the Broken Sword series before I finally play 5. Should I even attempt to play the remasters of 1 and 2 if I really dislike those ugly ass portraits that apparently pop up during conversations? Sorry if you're reading this Dave Gibbons

Play the original games instead. They're on GOG IIRC.

nooooooooooooooooo

As tizzy says, get the gog versions, as they come with the originals as extras (they won't install with the main game, you'll have to find them in your "bonus material" and install them separately).
Portraits aren't even the worst part of the BS1 remake, they cut out some of the most iconic dialogue in the intro (which is no longer even the intro as they have added a new section with Nico that is not particularly good and hurts the pacing of the game).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm surprised we're getting a new Animata game so quickly after Samarost 3. I'll buy anything they put out.

Tizoc

So I expect to finish this game tomorrow
header.jpg

and let me tell you if you HATE mazes, do not play this game. There are like 4-5 maze areas and without a guide you may be frustrated.

ubique

Play the original games instead. They're on GOG IIRC.

nooooooooooooooooo

As tizzy says, get the gog versions, as they come with the originals as extras (they won't install with the main game, you'll have to find them in your "bonus material" and install them desperately).
Portraits aren't even the worst part of the BS1 remake, they cut out some of the most iconic dialogue in the intro (which is no longer even the intro as they have added a new section with Nico that is not particularly good and hurts the pacing of the game).

Got it. Is the BS2 remaster just as bad? People never seem to talk about that one, is there added content or some shit besides the ugly Gibbons portraits?

mattiewheels

Very curious about this one, because it looks awesome. I'm worried about an all-rhyming text (written presumably by an author who has English as a 2nd language too)
So far I'm getting a lot of Loom vibes off of it, the pastoral setting and atmosphere and the musical nature of the dialogue I think. The rhyming dialogue is charming so far, especially for a foreign speaker. It's also good at letting the landscape tell a story, something I remember Loom doing very well.

Got it. Is the BS2 remaster just as bad? People never seem to talk about that one, is there added content or some shit besides the ugly Gibbons portraits?

It's nowhere near as offensive; from memory the only change in the core game is the swamp, where they made it slightly easier, I think they removed one of the dead ends. If they removed anything else I missed it, so it's nowhere near as bad. But it does have hotspots that flash blue when you hover near them, which I didn't really like, and from memory you can't turn them off. And your beloved portraits lol

Been looking at the list of 2017 P&C games, and Thimbleweed Park, The Full Throttle Remaster and Unavowed (and maybe Quest for Infamy: Roehm to Ruin) are the only ones to immedieately catch my attention. Hope be positively suprised by some others, but they're not on my list right now.

Syberia III is hopefully good, but it's a bit too long since the older games for it to feel very interesting.

Really high hopes for Thimbleweed Park though, that has been a great kickstarter to follow.

Hey y'all adventure lovers! I'm a lurker but I thought I'd post. I think my most anticipated point and click right now is Thimbleweed Park. Their latest blog post is so good.

About to start the kyrandia series

Would u say the series has aged well?

Personally I think having to drop items in the world due to the item limit - whilst a great technical accomplishment - really hurts the game.

Great writing though, it's just a pain to navigate through the massive worlds, and remember where you left an item that turned out to be important because of the limit.

Tizoc

Personally I think having to drop items in the world due to the item limit - whilst a great technical accomplishment - really hurts the game.

Great writing though, it's just a pain to navigate through the massive worlds, and remember where you left an item that turned out to be important because of the limit.
Sounds like the precursor to resident evil 0 :p

JP

Just spent a couple of hours playing Deponia on the PS4 and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

I rarely play games of this type but I do find that it can be good to have something a little more relaxing to play sometimes. It's good to see that there are a few of this type of game being made available on things like the PS4 now so it looks like I don't have to worry about going short of games of this type to play. :)

Tizoc

Does anyone know if one can use updated lossless or lossy audio with Kyrandia 1 via SCUMMVM?
What I mean is, you can play enhanced audio for Beneath a steel sky using SCUMMVM by creating a folder called music and putting in the enhanced audio of the game. This way SCUMMVM will run the enhanced audio in place of the original game's music tracks.
Reason I ask is because here you can get .OGG tracks of the game and they are 44 Hz
http://www.sierramusiccentral.com/index.php?page=27

Top Bottom