• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

youll eventually be able to teleport to the shrines. It's kinda different but I like it.

Nice, but it feels like it's a bad idea to leave then until you have gotten through the story stuff there (since you do the shrines in a clockwise order more or less) so you don't need to run all the way back.

edit: Finished "The Last Chance" story instance...

Epic but I can see why it would be annoying with only one or two people. Ended up doing it with 4, me and my fiance, a GAF guild person and a random.

The stuff with Livia and the talking between her and Lazarus was awesome as a GW1 player. Hope we see Livia again in the future as well. <3

Ashodin

Expansion is on sale with Path of Fire!

$50 for both is a steal.

Also playing my Engineer again, I want that Holosmith BAD.

Indignate

Yeah anything you do end game is in service of just getting more fashion.

That's why the players of the more traditional MMO hate this game. The only progression is trench coats and boob armor.

Mmmm... fashion wars.

I really want those triumphant boots for my mesmer's outfit, but WvW is hard to get into. I've heard it takes 6-8 hours to clear the reward track(assuming you can max your participaton).

Ashodin

Oh no, I'm starting to fall for the fashion wars crap. It's all downhill from here.

You kidding? That's what I LIVE FOR

EVZy46O.png

(2 or 3 year old shot, old gear)

The stuff with Livia and the talking between her and Lazarus was awesome as a GW1 player. Hope we see Livia again in the future as well. <3
Despite the dialogue about her leaving, it seems likely we'll see the scepter of orr play a part with palawa joko
Fashion wars isn't a thing when 95% of the skins stink.
More like when 95% of good skins cost 800 gems for a set you only need shoulders from.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still use "trash loot" skins from time to time.

Like since light armor is mostly crap in the pants the department, but man the Student Pants are great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Due to playing in a beatles tribute show and a surprising number of eclipse-related shenanigans I won't be around and don't think I can round up anyone to run missions tomorrow! Sorry about that. Will be back in business next weekend.

Elite Spec Demo is live..

RIP Dragon Hunter
FireBrand feels more like true Guardian.
DH was Ranger skills forced onto a Guardian...

Time to test Holo...

Sonicbug

Weird glowy blue cheetahs confirmed.

Soulbeast is going to make me shift up my ranger pets. Birds have some nice movement attacks.

Oh shit, necros get a portal spell.

SourBear

Banned
Some impressions of what I played:

1) Weaver
To preface I was never good with Elementalist and dislike it when cool downs are hidden from you as is the case with Elementalist when you swap between attunements. I'm just not good at mentally keeping track of these, especially if you go nuts and swap between attunements really fast.

I loaded into Weaver ready to conquer this problem. And then immediately nope'd the fuck out and deleted the character.

I applaud any who can tame this wild beast.

2) Mirage
Not sure why everyone on reddit and the official forums is complaining about dodge being replaced. From all that I can tell the Mirage is actually very mobile. Unlike the Weaver the Mirage is simple on the surface, but there is a lot of complexity there that will be difficult to really master. The dual class Mesmer/Thief is a really good explanation for what you will find with the Mirage. Also I find the spell effects really pretty.

3) Scourge
Most of my hours are on Necromancer. I want to spend more time with this elite spec before I can really solidify my judgements. But on the surface it isn't impressive - but it isn't really a disappointment either. I feel it is rather 'same-ish' stuff we've always had with wells and marks except now they are called sand shades. Scourge will be an area denial king in WvW even more so now than it ever has been.

4) Holosmith
Fun as fuck. This class feels really satisfying. Not knowing what I was doing and just smashing keys I was able to pull off some combos between the sword and then swapping into Photon Forge mode and using other skills. There is a brilliance in the simplicity of its design. This elite spec. feels very approachable and the mechanics are easy to understand. Yet there is enough there in the mechanics to reward you for managing your heat effectively. Like the Mirage it seems easy to learn but difficult to master - however I don't think the difficulty curve is as steep as Mirage will be.

Stuart444

On Weaver, with Lava Skin and Stone Resonance (which has 2 charges) - you can build up quite a barrier. Not sure how much that will matter in PoF but I'm curious how high people can get and keep it at XD.

Early 5 min impressions of just fucking around and randomly testing animations and such;

Holosmith: 6/10 - Pretty cool, but I think I prefer Scrapper. I don't like Engineer in general so not being exited about it is pretty self explanatory.

Mirage: 6/10 - Just not that compelling compared to Chronomancer. I like the effects of the mirror but thats about it. Is this really compelling?

Soulbeast: 7/10 - Feels pretty good. SFX looks better in person. Dagger animations are fairly typical. The amount of beastmode skills is seriously impressive. I like it a lot. You can really, truly customize your pets ability to a lot of different things.

Renegade: 8/10 - Big surprise for me. Bow feels really solid, the legend utilities remind me of Dervish. I like the interplay with the centaur stance. Feels good.

Weaver: 9/10 - Yup. As expected, the amount of skills here is insane.

Scourge: 5/10 - Step down from Daredevil. Feels thematically boring. Doesn't look very different. The power ranger face yellow piss face is not enough to give this spec enough of its own identity. Reaper is 10/10, this is boring in comparison.

Spellbreaker; 7/10 - I like Dagger Skill 5 a lot. Feels like a mix of thief and ranger dagger. Makes Warrior feel a bit different, but little support, party play makes it feel like just another weapon.

Deadeye: 8/10 - A big surprise for me as well. Reminded me of Sniper from SWTOR. Felt very solid. When you walk around in normal mode, you are shooting sort of like how rifle warrior feels, but the interplay in crouched stationary mode with the dodging heal and utillities work well. the way you swap in and out of crouch mode is not annoying. It feels like you "dig in".
I expected it to be cumbersome but am pleasently surprised. It works a lot better than I thought it would.

Firebrand: 8/10 - Dragonhunter was the worst elite spec in HoT, but it's one of the best here. The tomes are really solid, though the effects are quite similar. I get GW1 feels. Axe is quite cool and works well.

Overall; Very nice. The only one I am "meh" about is Scourge. I just don't think the theme of this elite spec is clear or well versed. They should have gone full desert mummy or some shit. Visually it's all over the place with little cohesion. Reaper was such a strong and awesome looking spec.
This is just the way it is sometimes. You don't get to hit all the marks all the time.

Wanderer5

Think I be focusing on two specs a day this weekend. Today is going to be Holosmith and Spellbreaker, so I be looking forward to testing one of those out soon. Tomorrow I will probably get to the rest of the heavy armor elite specs.

Stuart444

Weaver is damn fun...

Indeed. Though I think I prefer using Staff Weaver than Sword Weaver.

Also Unravel may be more useful than I thought. Since some of the 3 skills are useful and you can use your dual ele skill -> unravel -> use a normal non-dual skill 3.

Will take time to get used to cause I used overload a lot as a Tempest.

Names of these skill ain't memorized yet lol..
I was beating PvP players with Earth main, fire secondary with sword/dagger, i suck at PvP, i only play WvW and PvE...lol yet i am getting kills, i know they learning the classes too, but then way i was ripping players apart felt good..

Morokh

Scourge was supposed to be support, and it's like ten times better at applying condis than everything else necro with that Torment/Burning combo :O

It's just insane !

Indignate

Tried the three heavies.

Firebrand is dope; impressed me the most. Didn't realize before today that tomes had their own set of 1-5 skills.

This is real good cuz DH was so lame. I mainly use my Guard for WvW and everything I saw about Firebrand makes me real excited about taking it out to EBG.

Wanderer5

So I am digging Holosmith, and it is definitely more intriguing than Scrapper. I am interested in seeing how Rifle Holosmith turns out, since it can provide the range and openings while photon can give the melee needed when closing in.

Stuart444

Soo... figured out how to deal with The Shatterer for "No Fly Zone"

Until now I thought it was wait til he flies and then knock him down with stuff like the move from the jump pads but now I realize it's, once his CC bar appears shortly before he flies and after a breath attack, you jump to break the CC bar.

The group only did it once in the fight but at least I know how to now so I'm happy :D

Ashodin

Soo... figured out how to deal with The Shatterer for "No Fly Zone"

Until now I thought it was wait til he flies and then knock him down with stuff like the move from the jump pads but now I realize it's, once his CC bar appears shortly before he flies and after a breath attack, you jump to break the CC bar.

The group only did it once in the fight but at least I know how to now so I'm happy :D
Stealth gliding also avoids getting hit

Clearos

Excited to renegade and mirage. Hoping I do well with mirage in spvp so I can just swap builds for raids.

Actually same with renegade, like to focus on one character that can fill different roles in a pitch.

Cels

so i did the caladbolg quest, picked the sword but haven't picked the stats yet.

i'll continue to get HPs on all my characters...and next i'll probably tackle LWS3.

i already have weaponcrafting and armorsmithing at 400 so i was thinking about leveling them to 500, but looking at gwcrafts things are so expensive, and they recommend buying insignias (that you can't craft?) off the TP.

this is my wallet to show what i'm working with, i stopped playing a while ago

so i'll probably hold off on crafting for now, there's no urgent need for it...as far as i know?

Ashodin

awww yiss, got a build that gives perma quickness/retaliation for maximum uptime and damage. Should be REAL good when Firebrand comes out.

Ashodin

Holosmith is too good, the photon forge is some really good shit. The kind of ebb and flow gameplay with the heat level is awesome as fuck

I can't wait for that mechanic to come to Guardian. We should turn into a foefire spirit or something awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom