• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Beats

monster-hunter-generazps05.png

Game Info:
Platforms: Nintendo 3DS
Price: $39.99/£34.99/€44,99
Release Date: 07/15/2016
File Size: 12,534 Blocks (1.56GB)
Languages: Multi-5
Announcement Trailer
Style System Trailer
Deviant Monsters Trailer
Treehouse Demo at E3 2016

What is this?
A new monster hunter game. Gameplay is largely similar to past entries where the core of the game is fighting large monsters in various maps with segmented areas, crafting gear from monster drops and climbing through the ranks to fight tougher monsters.

A large part of the fun is the combat. Attack animations generally take some time to startup depending on the weapon and have end lag so you have to be mindful of your positioning and think about when you should attack. Monsters generally have some patterns and tells so learning those along with developing your own weapon skill is crucial and a lot of fun. There are 14 very different weapons to choose from that can all take some time to get a good feel for and master and you're not locked into a class so you can freely swap out to other weapon types.

In addition to the large monster quests there are also other types of quests to gather materials (like ore, herbs or bugs) or hunt smaller monsters that populate the various locations. The gathering missions are mainly useful for getting items to craft tools that can be helpful for hunting such as potions, monster traps, or bombs.

What's new in this?

- Generations adds Hunter Arts and Hunting Styles to this iteration of the series. Hunter Arts are essentially special moves that can be used once the gauge for the art is full while Hunting Styles are slight variations on the regular moveset along with a unique ability. You can read up about all the differences between the styles for each weapon here.

Style difference basics from the link:

Guild
- Can equip 2 Hunter Arts, charge by dealing damage.
- Closest style to how weapons play in previous games.
Striker
- Can equip 3 Hunter Arts, charge by dealing and taking damage
Aerial
- Can equip 1 Hunter Art, charge by dealing damage and jumping off monsters/etc.
- Can do a short forward hop onto monster/bomb/etc. to make you jump high & perform aerial actions
Bushido/Adept
- Can equip 1 Hunter Art, charge by dealing damage and with successful Bushido Evades/Guards
- Roll or Guard (L, GL, CB only) right before you are hit by an attack to take no damage and perform special follow-up actions.

- There are 10 general Hunting Arts and 3 Unique Hunting Arts for each individual weapon. Full list with unlock conditions and Hunting Arts Demo for all weapons.

- Seven new Large Monsters and Twelve Deviant Monsters. In total there are 71 Large and 34 Small Monsters in the game. Full List Here.

- New armor skills. A few notable ones are Blunt Weapon which increases your attack as your sharpness goes down, Combo Rush which increases your affinity when you hit the enemy by 25% and by 30% if you do 5 hits in a row (the skill resets if you don't hit for 5 seconds), and Heat/Cold Adapted which increases your attack and defense in hot/cold areas.

- Some modifications to the Upgrade System:
There are now weapon levels and you can repeatedly upgrade the same weapon if you have the necessary materials but along the way at certain levels there are branching upgrades where you can upgrade to a different one. More info here.

- You can now play as a Palico in the new Prowler mode. Their skills and attacks are largely similar to what was in the previous game but now you get to control them! They have unlimited gathering supplies and 9 lives. You can play as them on regular quests and there are also Palico only quests.

- Some locations and villages from previous games make a return. In total there are 21 maps to go out on.

- There are also Hyper Monsters where the monster is in an almost permanently enraged state and are more aggressive. Some parts will be covered in a dark purple glow that will make those parts deal more damage. If the Hunter hits those parts though their Hunter Art gauges will charge up faster.

Useful Links/Videos:

- Official Monster Hunter Generations Web Manual
- Gaijinhunter's Weapon Tutorials
- ArekkzGaming's Weapon Tutorials
- Style Differences for each Weapon
- Village Quest List and Key Quests
- Hunters Hub Quest List and Key Quests
- Kiranico Monster Hunter Generations Resource
- Complete Beginner's Guide video by Griffin McElroy
- Ping's MHX Dex: Useful Database for MHGen
- Athena's Armor Set Searcher for MHGen: Put in the criteria you want for an armor set and the program will search for a combination that works. Really good if you want a specific set of skills but don't really know what to put together to get them.
- Desire Sensor for MH Gen - Useful for calculating your chances on getting a specific drop.
- Bowgun Internal Ammo info and Motion Values

FAQ:

Q. I'm new to the series. Is there a demo I can try?
- Yes. It's on the eshop with unlimited plays. It features 3 large monsters and has basic tutorials for each weapon in the game. It also has online play if you feel like tackling the quests with more people. You can check out the basic weapon controls guide here too along with ones for each weapon on the left side.

If you're still not sure what to do with a weapon after the tutorial then I recommend checking out the more detailed weapon tutorial links above. Also if you have any other questions about the game feel free to ask in the thread.

Q. How does Online work?
- You can play with up to four people locally or online. There's no matchmaking, but you can search by monster type and quest type or make your own lobby. For more detailed info check this.

Q. Can I play with a friend that has the Japanese version?
- No. Outside of that though there is cross region play.

Q. Is there G-rank in this version?
- No. However the twelve Deviant monsters have 10 levels to them. GaijinHunter explains the Deviant monsters and the quest mechanics pretty well here. I can imagine that the DLC quests will have some quests that are more challenging than normal as well.

Q. Is there crossover DLC in this game like in 4 Ultimate?
- Yes. Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Zelda, Strider, and Okami are some of the ones that have been shown so far.

Q. Is there still Mounting in this game?
- Yes. There's a small change in this game compared to 4U though. If you're playing with others and they attack the monsters while you're mounted than that will help fill up the gauge and won't knock you off.

Q. Any 3ds and N3DS differences?
- Yes. There are some load time differences and slight texture differences.

Q. Will DLC quests be released monthly like in 4U?
- Yes. Yuri from Capcom confirmed it here.

Q. Is this like Monster Hunter meets God of War meets Devil May Cry?
- No. They added new systems/mechanics on top of existing ones that feel somewhat flashier, but it's still a Monster Hunter game.

Reviews:
- Check the Review Thread.
- Metacritic
- Opencritic

Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/K7wTTsR

I think that's all the essential info. If there's anything else you think I should add that would be helpful or if there's anything that's not correct let me know.

georly

Finally got the monster hunter excitement in the pit of my stomach yesterday. Can't wait!

Great OT, thank you so much.

Shame no preload.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The monster list is insane. Although I am a bit worried that the lack of secondary variants for some of them means they're not super useful, I hope for example there's a good Duramboros set

tuffy

Going to bowgun all the things.

In 3 Ultimate I started out with LBG and started using HBG late in the game. In 4 Ultimate I started out with HBG and started using LBG late in the game. This time I'm going to try to use them both more evenly.

Seems my plans were dashed by money issues, so my hope to buy it tomorrow is now null. To those who have played it, should I just keep bulldozing through MH4U? I remember people saying that MHG is a sort of weird one out for how they changed up damage values (and nerfed the fucking GL. Why.)

depward

Where my HBG bros at?!

Can't wait to be the guy people love to have online and invest another 100+ hours into this guy.

Pejo

Here we go! Haven't been this excited about a game since Dark Souls 3. Ok so maybe that wasn't that long ago, but still.

My Amazon order shipped yesterday, and it originally had a delivery date of today by end of day. Looked this morning and it's been downgraded to tomorrow. Damn evil shipping gnomes, Capcom's given them a watered down version of the Desire Sensor™.

New 3DS grips should be in tomorrow. Still debating on whether to use longsword like I did in 4U or try a different weapon.

Do we have to wait until Friday to buy and download on the eshop? Do we know what time?

Can anyone allay my fears about the new upgrade system? It doesn't sound like an improvement.

Well one of the things is that every weapon can be used at end game with this new system, so if you like the look of a particular weapon, you can just upgrade it there.

Although that's the silver lining here

Ryuuga

Banned
Thanks for creating the thread, can't wait to play tomorrow. Also, the title looks fine without a hook imo.

Plenty of hunting in my future with God Eater and this coming out so close together. Hopefully Amazon ships my copy soon (still no tracking).

redcrayon

I couldn't think of one lol. Feel free to suggest a title.
Art supplies

Thanks for making the thread and the video links. I've tended to play as a guard lancer, and was considering aerial style for some dragoon action. Now I'm looking at Bushido and thinking that's a good match for me!

VandalD

Still don't know if I'll stick to something I know or if I'll try to learn something I'm terrible at. Getting this ASAP though. Maybe I'll just stick to S&S. Still love that weapon. The oils look like a powerful addition.

Wonder why that load time differences video has so many dislikes.

Top Bottom