• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Newer PSP thread of Excellent Games (Troll somewhere else you bastards.)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jiggle said:
I'd kill for a portable enhanced port though :/

:lol

Yeah, and have the first 6 UMD game for the PSP, nah it's okay.

Schrade said:
Here you go:

1) Pokemon
2) Pedo Touching Games
3) Mario
4) Mario
5) Mario
6) Anime Games

You forgot....

7. Castlevania
8. Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright

:D

Proc

Crush is simply amazing. From the weather effects, to the moody music, to the Psychonauts-esque voice/story design, this game is real slick on presentation. Above all else, the gameplay and puzzles are very, very rewarding (as mentioned by the op). Started playing this tonight and am definitely hooked; a must buy. This game should not be missed.

Durante

This thread needs Brave Story: New Traveler.

2_battleBG.jpg

An extremely polished game from a technical perspective. Great art style competently realized, and a solid traditional JRPG system with a few interesting additions. Add a good localization and you have what's easily the best original RPG on the PSP at this point in time.

klix108

Durante said:

2_battleBG.jpg

An extremely polished game from a technical perspective. Great art style competently realized, and a solid traditional JRPG system with a few interesting additions. Add a good localization and you have what's easily the best original RPG on the PSP at this point in time.

Yes this game is amazing.

Exitus_pt

typhonsentra said:
Please play through this game. It has it's issues but it's a pleasent enough title and ever since I beat it I've hated how there's no one to talk about it with as it sold so horribly.

just got it off ebay and wayting for it to arrive at my doorstep.
anyone played the others? I remember giving the 1st one a try and not disliking it however, since the most of the good PSP RPGs haven`t been released in Europe i haven`t been giving much attention but now i decided to start picking up(importing) the games i was missing.

anyone have any recomendations regarding the best JRPGs for the system?

already have
Tales of eternia
VP: lenneth
Blade Dancer(still haven`t been able to really get into it :( )
Legend of Heroes I, II and currently wayting for III

thinking about
tales of the world
brave story
jeanne d`arc

leehom

Exitus_pt said:
anyone have any recomendations regarding the best JRPGs for the system?

already have
Tales of eternia
VP: lenneth
Blade Dancer(still haven`t been able to really get into it :( )
Legend of Heroes I, II and currently wayting for III

thinking about
tales of the world
brave story
jeanne d`arc
How is VP: Lenneth? I hope its as good as I think it is.

From the other threads, Jeanne D'Arc and Brave STory is really good. Jeanne is a SRPG while Brave Story is more in line with traditional JRPG's.

Exitus_pt

still haven`t played much but from the little i did it seemed awesome.

anyone know if the new legend of heroes will be released outside of Japan?

Exitus_pt said:
still haven`t played much but from the little i did it seemed awesome.

anyone know if the new legend of heroes will be released outside of Japan?

I could only wish :-(

But with the success of Gurumin, Falcom might be smart to release the games in the States. Please Falcom, please.

cvxfreak

It's remarkable how I can play Ridge Racers (and by extension Ridge Racers 2) and still have a ton of fun, reliving the day I first received my Japanese PSP in 2004. The music, graphics and gameplay were and are still perfect.

Same with Lumines -- I can get into it very easily. I still need to get the second one some day.

I've got the Japanese MGS: Portable Ops thanks to the 20th Anniversary set (I'll try to enjoy it), and Silent Hill 0rigins is one of my most anticipated games this year. I can use another traditional survival horror game right about now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i've been trying to get into monster hunter, but there's this near-perfect game that can really frustrate me to the point of not wanting to play. things aren't presented clearly at all (how do i access all the stuff i bought again? and how do i put items back in my chest?), and the combat and camera systems join forces to make me cry :'(

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
i'm playing EEE, lumines 1 & 2, Exit 1 & 2.

about to get crush, echocrome.

are there any other games like these ones that i am missing?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
mattiewheels said:
i've been trying to get into monster hunter, but there's this near-perfect game that can really frustrate me to the point of not wanting to play. things aren't presented clearly at all (how do i access all the stuff i bought again? and how do i put items back in my chest?), and the combat and camera systems join forces to make me cry :'(

It's not really the right thread for this. Items you buy are in your immediate inventory, which can be brought up from the start menu. There's a chest in your house, where items and consumables are under "Items", while weapons and armors are under "Equipment".

'm playing EEE, lumines 1 & 2, Exit 1 & 2.

about to get crush, echocrome.

are there any other games like these ones that i am missing?

Gunpey? But it's relatively subpar to Lumines, because the control scheme just makes the game too difficult to play. Plus, the rate of progressing through skins is damn slow. I dunno, GAF seems to like Puzzle Quest.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Odrion said:
Is Tomb Raider Legends any good?
On a technical level, it's fair. The framerate chugs some and the camera is a near constant nuisance. Controls are decent.

As a game, it's good. If I had it to do over again I'd play the PS2 version.

Fusebox

Banned
Tomb Raider: Anniversary is better imo and holy shit, I just picked up Dungeon Maker: HG cheap on the weekend coz people said it was good and.... ITS GOOD! Like, really good. Love the city art and dialogue, love the on-the-fly dungeon construction and the combat suits just fine. Now back to the game...

Dave1988

Linkzg said:
how is Gurumin? I was thinking of picking it up, it looks pretty fun and I remember people comparing it to Zelda.

Gurumin is good. The dungeons are enjoyable, the music crazy, the characters goofy + Parin's weapon is a drill (it even resembles the Core drill) ;p

It's certainly isn't an AAA title but I'm very happy that I've picked it up along with FFT.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I truly appreciate this thread. I am in the process of purchasing the PSP and DS, but didn't know which one to get first. With all the complaining about the PSP not having that many good games, I was swayed to get the DS. However, this thread has dissolved any doubt that the PSP has a worthwhile library.

Durante said:

2_battleBG.jpg

I want this game sooo bad...
I can't find it anywhere around where I live... (Atlanta area)

seriously the PSP game stock is totally vacant around here...
Did all the games get shipped back to Sony or something?
:(

Concept17

Brave Story is pretty solid... haven't finished it however.

If you own a PSP, you should also own Jeanne D'arc... even if SRPGs arent your thing. An amazing game all around, you won't be dissapointed.

Concept17 said:
Brave Story is pretty solid... haven't finished it however.

If you own a PSP, you should also own Jeanne D'arc... even if SRPGs arent your thing. An amazing game all around, you won't be dissapointed.

thanks for the suggestion...
I was a bit hesitant, but I keep hearing lots of love about it.

SHINE GET

kitch9

Banned
I had a Phat for 14 months or so and it was gathering dust as nothing seemed to control right.

I've just sold it and got a slim ready for a 24 hour flight I've got to take in a couple of months and the difference is astounding!!

The controls feel sharp and crisp, unlike the sloppy nub and d-pad of the Phat, the screen is much clearer too......I can actually control Wipeout now, and see whats happening, without the annoying ghosting....

Any chance of putting upcoming games in the OP? I'm hooked on the PSP again....

yeah I love my new slim... a huge step forward for the PSP.

Also managed to pick up Brave Story today...
I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW AWESOME THIS GAME IS

Sony messed up big time by pouring all their marketing dollars into neogaf postings instead of letting the market know this righteous RPG was on their portable...

...at least thats what I assume happened because I had never heard of the game until you kind fellows started pimping it.

I'll pick up Jeanne D'Arc next week

Yoschi

Very nice thread, some nice gems in here i would have missed otherwise.

Odrion[b said:
Salamander Collection[/b] - Recommended by Duckroll
4ml5c0z.jpg

Species of salamanders are numerous and found in most moist or arid habitats in the
northern hemisphere. Most are small but some reach up to 5 inches (12.7 cm) in length.
They live in brooks and ponds and other moist locations such as under rocks.

I want this game! Where can i find it? I've asked a few stores but they all looked funny at me..
can you post some more screenshots?

Yoschi

Yoschi said:
Odrion[b said:
Salamander Collection[/b] - Recommended by Duckroll
4ml5c0z.jpg

Species of salamanders are numerous and found in most moist or arid habitats in the
northern hemisphere. Most are small but some reach up to 5 inches (12.7 cm) in length.
They live in brooks and ponds and other moist locations such as under rocks.

I want this game! Where can i find it? I've asked a few stores but they all looked funny at me..
can you post some more screenshots?

I was joking when i said that, but there is actually a game called "Salamander Portable" :lol
http://uk.psp.ign.com/objects/863/863989.html

maybe you should update the description :lol

My favourite PSP titles are Twinbee Portable (amazing collection of all the Twinbee shooters. FANTASTIC games, especially SNES classic Pop'n), Gitaroo Man Lives, and Disgaea :)

This thread needs about 900% more Twinbee Portable love.

Kauza

Whoa, thanks to Yoschi for the random but ultimately useful bump of this thread. I'm considering a PSP purchase, and it's nice to have a list of good games...even if the list is old!

jepjepjep

This is a great thread, I must've missed it the first time.

Putting my $0.02, MGS Portable Ops was an incredible experience. I highly recommend it.

theBishop

Banned
Do people actually play Combat Ops?

I'm a big fan of the Syphon Filter PSP games, but this one seem doomed to fail from the start.

Flunkie

Banned
theBishop said:
Do people actually play Combat Ops?

I'm a big fan of the Syphon Filter PSP games, but this one seem doomed to fail from the start.
I got on a month after launch, and there were two four-player team deathmatches going on, and they both were 3/4 full. I can't imagine how dead that game is now.

I have a question, I might get Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, the problem is, I never played Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3, so does Metal Gear Solid Portable ops connect with 2 and 3?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Shadowlink123 said:
I have a question, I might get Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, the problem is, I never played Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3, so does Metal Gear Solid Portable ops connect with 2 and 3?

Heavily with 3, I believe.

Top Bottom