• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Beckx

so i finally picked up the game in a recent sale and started up after 1.10 patch hit

really happy with it. some random thoughts.

• it seems to control more smoothly than previous entries, but that could just be me imagining things or generally being a scrub
  • backgrounds are gorgeous
  • there's effect that almost outlines the characters right now and i don't really like that much.
  • story mode was servicable but more like an arcade mode would have been than XIII's story mode (kind of a let down)
  • this roster is sooooooo good

all in all it makes me excited for the future. now that they've got development down hopefully that means future installments will have story mode more like XIII. also really, really want to see Garou 2 now.

one question: i unlocked a bunch of icons and other things for the gallery, but can't seem to find any of them in the gallery (or the icons in the player options). i must be doing something wrong.

BadWolf

While we wait for the patch, a workaround has been found for room creation issues.

so i finally picked up the game in a recent sale and started up after 1.10 patch hit

really happy with it. some random thoughts.

• it seems to control more smoothly than previous entries, but that could just be me imagining things or generally being a scrub
  • backgrounds are gorgeous
  • there's effect that almost outlines the characters right now and i don't really like that much.
  • story mode was servicable but more like an arcade mode would have been than XIII's story mode (kind of a let down)
  • this roster is sooooooo good

all in all it makes me excited for the future. now that they've got development down hopefully that means future installments will have story mode more like XIII. also really, really want to see Garou 2 now.

one question: i unlocked a bunch of icons and other things for the gallery, but can't seem to find any of them in the gallery (or the icons in the player options). i must be doing something wrong.

Glad you like it, story mode is pretty much arcade mode from the previous games. On the one hand yeah it's not cinematic like some other fighters but on the other the roster is just too damn big for anything too substantial probably, especially with XIV where they had to create everything from scratch. That said, the endings are pretty nice actually and have good art.

Have you tried looking for the icons after choosing to go online from the main menu? There should be an option there to edit your online profile. SNK added 50 or so new icons in the v1.10 patch and they are available from the get go from there (along with whatever you unlock).

And yeah, the roster is just too good. Still don't have a 'main' team because I'm having too much fun playing pretty much everyone.

On a side note, if anyone sees me playing random select online or constantly switching teams, I'm not trolling lol. Just having too much fun enjoying the roster.

Jeez, that Kim play is nuts.

It's interesting to see meter usage and quick max usage evolve, instead of just hit confirming people are using it for tricks and gambles a lot more now. You couldn't really do that with HD activation in XIII since it was a lot more 'costly'.

Bala was also using Hangetsuzan tech I haven't seen yet anywhere else.

Amedo310

Yeah. The two costumes are out and can be purchased at the Hong Kong psn for both Chinese and English HK versions. They cost HK$23.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah but how do you get Iori's Classic outfit huh?

Loona

Yeah but how do you get Iori's Classic outfit huh?

Patience, money and either love for the series history or taste for an inferior and impractical outfit.
XII's was so much better, but Iori really seems to have clicked with a lot of people from 95 onwards...

BadWolf

KOFXIV Championship News Release

Seems they are scrapping the idea of holding top 16 in Japan and top 4 in China due to qualified player requests, it will all take place in Japan now on the same day:

We would like to announce an important change in the organization of the upcoming ”THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP (WCS)" tournament during which the world' s strongest player in the PlayStation®4 exclusive title THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV (KOF XIV) will be crowned.

In response to requests from the tournament players, the ”FOUR KINGS" and ”GRAND FINAL" tournaments, which were previously announced to be held in Japan and China, respectively, will be combined into one single event as the ”GRAND FINAL" tournament which will be held in Tokyo on February 18th. Please accept our apologies for this sudden change and any inconvenience it may cause, and thank you for your kind understanding.

Makes sense considering the big after party/tournament SNK was planning was also going to take place right after the Japanese portion of the tournament previously.

The link also contains a list of all the qualified players, which is pretty much filled with killers. It will be interesting to see if Xiaohai can make it out on top out of this one.

Also, KOFXIV arcade version's location test date has been set, will be taking place between Feb 3 and Feb 5 in Japan.

EDIT: Oda mentions further KOFXIV updates and Garou:

C3KVlABUEAIhXox.jpg:large

Between that, the WIP mention still being in the latest DLC costumes trailers, and some RT/likes from devs, I'm really starting to think updated visuals for the stages might come at some point.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Fetal Fury is the greatest SNK series. But nah seriously, I'm glad more updates are confirmed and am looking forward to whatever form the next garou/fatal fury will take; half-wondering if they'll go back to ring outs and double planes and all that.

BadWolf

Fetal Fury is the greatest SNK series. But nah seriously, I'm glad more updates are confirmed and am looking forward to whatever form the next garou/fatal fury will take; half-wondering if they'll go back to ring outs and double planes and all that.

It will be interesting to see what side of the series they favor for sure.

Garou is a fan favorite now but iirc it bombed when it first released and quite a few fans were not pleased with the shift in gameplay from the previous FFs. Even by today's standards the mechanics and feel of the Real Bout games and prior are pretty distinct.

I'd be fine with either approach but the prospect of a Garou 2 being directed by the director of 3rd Strike (Neo_G) is...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SNK is so hot right now.

Like for real, never in the history of the universe has SNK been so open and welcoming to the worldwide community.
<3 SNK <3

Also it's legit SNK with SNK dudes + Neo_ "mother effin" G

kdash7

SNK is so hot right now.

Like for real, never in the history of the universe has SNK been so open and welcoming to the worldwide community.
<3 SNK <3

Also it's legit SNK with SNK dudes + Neo_ "mother effin" G

This is so awesome! I was so waiting for SNK to be back in form. But sadly n unbelievably I haven't bought the game yet. The first demo's graphics really put me off.. I love the graphics uptill KOFXIII.

Have the graphics really been upgraded after patch?

Fersis

This is so awesome! I was so waiting for SNK to be back in form. But sadly n unbelievably I haven't bought the game yet. The first demo's graphics really put me off.. I love the graphics uptill KOFXIII.

Have the graphics really been upgraded after patch?
Yup, there was a rework on shaders and textures, the FXs also got upgraded.

BadWolf

You guys may want to check how the netplay works for you now, at a few places people have said that SNK seems to have fixed some things on their end and it's working better even without the new patch we are waiting for.

I had a 4 hour session against Japanese players today and didn't get a single room entering error. Not even the old 'can't find room information' one.

Fersis

Nakoruru and Shun Ei's costumes are up on USA- PSN now.

Got 'em both to support SNK
Now... whens classic Iori ? whens?

Patch 1.12 is out, change log comming tomorrow .. (According to a twitter translate of a Neo_G tweet)

Hyun Sai

Got 'em both to support SNK
Now... whens classic Iori ? whens?

Patch 1.12 is out, change log comming tomorrow .. (According to a twitter translate of a Neo_G tweet)

I bought them too. Price is also decent.

Downloaded the patch, testing now. I hope nothing is broken this time !

EDIT : Well, everything seems fine !

BadWolf

Patch notes

They also fixed the recently discovered glitch with Andy's climax dm.

Damn, that's so cool.

Speaking of figures, SNK showed those Mai and Kyo nendoroids, here's hoping they have some full size figures planned as well.

Oh and it would be great if they started selling those awesome t-shirts (which they have reserved for tournament winners so far) to everyone once the championship ends.

I bought them too. Price is also decent.

Downloaded the patch, testing now. I hope nothing is broken this time !

EDIT : Well, everything seems fine !

Great to hear, my internet at home is down so I won't be able to try it yet.

I want to get better at this game now but SamSho was always my jam back in the day.

Feel free to add me on PSN to get some free scrub wins.

CometJP

stn

Sooooo, here's who I've been enjoying lately:

Geese - playing him as a zoning-rushdown hybrid. Hard to do his complex combos on the PS4 pad, however.

Andy - playing a typical shoto game, confirming into dan-eken from cr. lk

Antonov - I have no clue what I'm doing. Tips?

Terry - doing safe strings ending in crackshoot, using his normals. Tips?

Athena - like Andy, playing a shoto game. Tips?

Would appreciate any and all tips. Total KOF newbie.

Fersis

#RIP Jeff Bogard

Just as a reminder: Team Spooky will be streaming the KOF WC with Hellpockets, Nerdjosh and Meta Abe on the mic.

BadWolf

Can't friggin wait to watch the championship as well. So many killers.

Apparently a bunch of players are already there. Apparently Toshi (the Kensou beast from Peru) has been winning all the casual sets.

The Chinese player Lancer will be able to make it after all, his second application for a Visa was successful.

Also, a really cool tidbit is that SNK also sent a special invite to Gato Ray (yeah, the one with the youtube channel who posts a lot of great content) for the championship. So damn cool to see SNK acknowledge his efforts for the community like that. He'll be heading to Tokyo on Friday.

Sooooo, here's who I've been enjoying lately:

Geese - playing him as a zoning-rushdown hybrid. Hard to do his complex combos on the PS4 pad, however.

Antonov - I have no clue what I'm doing. Tips?

Terry - doing safe strings ending in crackshoot, using his normals. Tips?

Athena - like Andy, playing a shoto game. Tips?

Would appreciate any and all tips. Total KOF newbie.

Geese has some very simple combos that do great damage, a simple 1 bar max combo does like 40% for very little effort.

Terry's crackshoot is safe (the heavy version is safer than the light) but his Power Charge (the shoulder tackle) is actually positive on block so try to incorporate them into your strings. They allow him to keep the pressure going and really chip away at the opponent's guard gauge. Also practice the spacing for his burn knuckles since when properly spaced they actually leave him neutral/positive on block and make him very frustrating to deal with.

The key to playing Athena is using her light fireball and running after it to get your pressure going. This makes the opponent have to deal both with the fireball and her at the same time. She has some great pokes/normals so make sure to explore them. Funnily enough not only is she one of the best zoners but she's also one of the best anti-zoners.

As for Antonov, try checking out footage of Madkof playing him.

That'd be an interesting choice for Terry's DLC costume.

I like how that new art implies that Terry might be wearing Jeff's jacket in MOTW.

This Jeff outfit would actually work for Terry's DLC since it has a hat. The MOTW design won't because there is no hat, which is a problem since Terry adjusts his hat during various situations in XIV (it's also one of the key moments of his climax DM).

Amedo310

If he doesn't make it then that screws over his sponsor (Arcadeshock) as well, they were collaborating with Sanwa and SNK for the after party tournament.

He will be at Anime Ascension now. For what it's worth.

Edit: WCS is FT1 matches. Japan Format. Lol. At least there is a losers' bracket.

Top Bottom