• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Pandy

It would be a great launch, but two are ports, Mario was probably in development for Wii U for a year or two then switched over, and I wouldn't even call Splatoon 2 a sequel. So I'd be really concerned if they had nothing in the pipeline for 2018 since we're really just getting Wii U leftovers initially.

What is it with the Switch shit-posts just now? Seriously.

z0m3le

Banned
Okay. So a portable Wii-U.

Which by all accounts is going to be a pretty great thing, handheld-wise. From 3DS to this.
The home console part is the part that's lacking though.

Yeah, even with eurogamer's clocks, it's a ridiculous step up for 3ds owners like myself and offers a noticeable step up from the wii u when docked.

random25

The system literally has an entire fully functioning web browser built in but it can only be called by devs and display whatever page devs pass to it.

So this pretty much answers all the doubts about the web browser coming at a later time, if that's not obvious still. It's just really a matter of when.

AntMurda

It would be a great launch, but two are ports, Mario was probably in development for Wii U for a year or two then switched over, and I wouldn't even call Splatoon 2 a sequel. So I'd be really concerned if they had nothing in the pipeline for 2018 since we're really just getting Wii U leftovers initially.

That's okay when you are getting a PS3 port (Last Guardian) and a Vita port (Gravity Rush 2) 3 years after PS4 launched.Right? ;)

Splatoon got regular updates, so we can see how a Splatoon port with content added would have looked: new maps, new weapon variants, some new weapon types, some new gear, maybe a new game type or two, and a couple new music tracks. Those are the kinds of updates we got to OG Splatoon, after all. But all the old stuff would be there, just with new stuff added - because that's how ports work.

Splatoon 2 completely diverges from the original Splatoon by:

- Setting the entire thing two years after the first one, with a new story and new characters and changes to the roles of returning characters
- Replacing most of the old maps with new ones (and remixing returning maps)
- Replacing all of the "specials" with new ones
- Making fundamental changes to the way certain weapons work
- Changing the way the characters look and giving you totally new character customization options
- Creating a completely new plaza hub
- Having a brand-new soundtrack

E-phonk

Banned
Yeah listing all small sports games def gonna help your cause. If i may ask why you didnt ask their 2017 counterparts instead? FIFA 2017 is 45GB without any patches.

It gives a good idea of what games will easily fit without any extra compression and which ones might need some extra adaptions to fit within the filesize. But I can't see anything impossible there, FIFA2017 (45GB) vs FIFA2016 (20GB) actually seems to be an unoptimised mess as it has different filesizes for each system, PS4 being 5GB more than xbone.
If it's bigger because it supports PS4Pro (no idea) than it's just a matter of not including those higher res textures that Switch won't need any way.

Anteo

never mind what you would call it, I think I'll take the actual developer's word over yours

http://nintendoeverything.com/splat...ons-mobile-app-usage-graphics-hd-rumble-more/

keep spreading that bs like it's gospel tho

When your argument hinges on you just making shit up outright, maybe you can take a step back.

No guys you dont get it. They didnt start from the scratch, they definitely started by porting the game and then modified it. You cant call that a new game, that's a port. The 2 on the title is just for marketing.
Also Marios is a port too because of reasons.

/s

Shiggy

Yeah, even with eurogamer's clocks, it's a ridiculous step up for 3ds owners like myself and offers a noticeable step up from the wii u when docked.

I'd guess the concerns are more about game support. If the power capabilities are too far away from X1 and PS4, then 3rd party ports from AA/AAA games made by 3rd party publishers may not be possible or worth pursuing. If you don't care about those, it's not really of much relevance I'd say. Indie titles will run well enough for the most part.

How many times is someone going to ignorantly post this?

It's a sequel. It's absolutely not a port. There are major gameplay overhauls going on, including every single special weapon being replaced, there are going to be numerous new weapons and maps, there's going to be an entirely new campaign, etc.

And people wonder if you have an agenda.

never mind what you would call it, I think I'll take the actual developer's word over yours

http://nintendoeverything.com/splat...ons-mobile-app-usage-graphics-hd-rumble-more/

keep spreading that bs like it's gospel tho

When your argument hinges on you just making shit up outright, maybe you can take a step back.

I'll admit I'm wrong about Splatoon, but you all focused on that one statement and ignored everything else. The point was that Nintendo should have much more in the pipeline and the worry they wouldn't have anything else to release if these games came out at launch shouldn't be a factor. If it is, then you'd wonder what they've been doing the past few years.

Splatoon got regular updates, so we can see how a Splatoon port with content added would have looked: new maps, new weapon variants, some new weapon types, some new gear, maybe a new game type or two, and a couple new music tracks.

But Splatoon 2 completely diverges from the original Splatoon by:

- Setting the entire thing two years after the first one, with a new story and new characters and changes to the roles of returning characters
- Replacing most of the old maps with new ones (and remixing returning maps)
- Replacing all of the "specials" with new ones
- Making fundamental changes to the way certain weapons work
- Changing the way the characters look and giving you totally new character customization options
- Creating a completely new plaza hub
- Having a brand-new soundtrack

But, you know... It doesn't look any better than the last one, so it's not a real sequal.

z0m3le

Banned
So this pretty much answers all the doubts about the web browser coming at a later time, if that's not obvious still. It's just really a matter of when.

I think it's a battery life issue, imagine web browsing and watching Netflix, if you watch an episode of the walking dead and have less than 2 hours left of battery to play games with, it will quickly lose its mobile image.

I do think we will get both functions in the fall though.

I don't know, it's pretty easy to read.

Left column: theory Right column: reality

Uh.. No? Left column isn't theory, why would you think that?

Left column: Actual hardware specs.
Right column: What's available of said specs for devs to use on their games/apps, as of July apparently.

vern

lol, technically you did because no one believed you until the last minute

I suppose it's better than the STD option.

I also remember telling everyone to "think outside the box" when it comes to apps and shit... which I meant specially as outside the console itself, using your phone or tablet. One person guessed it correctly. Forget who. But kudos to him! A few people didn't doubt me entirely!

Okay. So a portable Wii-U.

Which by all accounts is going to be a pretty great thing, handheld-wise. From 3DS to this.
The home console part is the part that's lacking though.
A portable Wii U and being able to run Wii U level games at 900p-1080p on the TV is still pretty great.
Hopefully most Nintendo games aim for 720p on the handheld and 1080p on the console like MK8 and ARMS(?) do.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's in this file: NX-System_Features_Guide-1_1-20160930-en-Private/NX-System_Features_Guide-1_1-20160930-en-Private%5Ccontents%5CPages%5CPage_106363296.html

Ugh, 720p and jpg. Add FB/Twitter compression to that and you get a total mess.

random25

I think it's a battery life issue, imagine web browsing and watching Netflix, if you watch an episode of the walking dead and have less than 2 hours left of battery to play games with, it will quickly lose its mobile image.

I do think we will get both functions in the fall though.

I don't know about the Netflix and other stuff (probably developing an app and business talks behind the scenes) but the web browser I feel is more of security issue like others have said that is why the implementation is not there yet for consumer use.

z0m3le

Banned
I'd guess the concerns are more about game support. If the power capabilities are too far away from X1 and PS4, then 3rd party ports from AA/AAA games made by 3rd party publishers may not be possible or worth pursuing. If you don't care about those, it's not really of much relevance I'd say. Indie titles will run well enough for the most part.

I'm not going to even worry about that until we have final hardware, it took a shot of the chip and a hacker to get wii u's, I'm not going to take final hardware specs from a summer devkit when the same devkit from wii u would have given us 2 1ghz cpu cores for games and 128gflops for the gpu. Final wii u specs are 3 1.24ghz cpu cores and 176gflops gpu.

But they still love to sell the hardware for a high price.

I hope you understand that pricing largely is based on perceived value, in which specs are not the focal point for most people. The USP of the Switch is the versatility offered by the hardware OOTB.

All this power talk and flop jargon and all I care about is that the games will look better then my 3ds and I can play them all on the go.

It's a monumental leap lol. It's launching as one of the most graphically capable portable devices on the market at that price point. I say "capable" because it is thermally designed for "high-end" gaming, whereas most portable devices aren't. It also runs a software stack optimized for games, not general-purpose multi-tasking of apps.

I'll admit I'm wrong about Splatoon, but you all focused on that one statement and ignored everything else. The point was that Nintendo should have much more in the pipeline and the worry they wouldn't have anything else to release if these games came out at launch shouldn't be a factor. If it is, then you'd wonder what they've been doing the past few years.

Nintendo's announced 7 major first-party retail games through the end of the year, spaced out at pretty regular intervals. A major first-party game every 2-3 months, may not be a ton, but is much better than the last few years of WiiU and 3DS first-party support.

However, I'm sure we'll probably see a handful of things announced at E3 for the latter half of the year. Nintendo's method of announcing games is, like the rest of the industry, changing from the 3 year hype-cycles of old (BotW not withstanding). They typically announce most of their games within 12-6 months of launch.

That's also not factoring the (admittedly limited) third party support, and indie support, or the smaller games like Snipperclips that Nintendo is going to publish. I think Switch seems like it'll have a decent amount of strong experiences in it's first year.

PtM

Banned
How many times is someone going to ignorantly post this?

It's a sequel. It's absolutely not a port. There are major gameplay overhauls going on, including every single special weapon being replaced, there are going to be numerous new weapons and maps, there's going to be an entirely new campaign, etc.
To be fair, it was at first treated as a port, internally. It's how LiamR set himself up over these semantics.

Dystify

tnqDe7E.png

I guess this image kinda confirms the leak is real. You can compare it to a real Switch image (which I took from this video).

The first image is described as what you see when you suspend a game on Switch. The second image is what actually happens as a Switch game is suspended.

Hermii

The DF leak said 1GHz max for the CPU I believe. 3 A57s at 1GHz seems quite a bit weaker than we thought.

Again, remember this info is from July though.
This seals it 100% for the Foxconn clocks for me. They aren't going to tell devs to target 3 x 1ghz a57 in July then increase it to 4x 1.72 ghz a72s in October.

ryechu

Splatoon 2 not being a sequel is basically a meme at this point, so no one is going to consider the rest of your argument if you include that statement. But yeah, clearly there are a lot of first party games for the 2nd half of 2017 and early 2018 that haven't been announced yet.

z0m3le

Banned
This seals it 100% for the Foxconn clocks for me. They aren't going to tell devs to target 3 x 1ghz a57 in July then increase it to 4x 1.72 ghz a72s in October.

Devs had 2 cpu cores for wii u about a year before launch at 1ghz, ended up being 3 cores at 1.24ghz. I really don't understand the rush for finalizing hardware, we still have to correct people about wii u magically having 352gflops all the time because people can't wait for solid info.

Shiggy

I'm not going to even worry about that until we have final hardware, it took a shot of the chip and a hacker to get wii u's, I'm not going to take final hardware specs from a summer devkit when the same devkit from wii u would have given us 2 1ghz cpu cores for games and 128gflops for the gpu. Final wii u specs are 3 1.24ghz cpu cores and 176gflops gpu.

Then you'll be up for a rude awakening.

phanphare

Banned

I agree with your larger point, I just keep seeing people spout ignorant bs (no offense) about Splatoon 2 so I felt compelled to correct you

m.i.s.

Banned
What is it with the Switch shit-posts just now? Seriously.

Woah there! Just because you disagree does not make it a s***-post.

S/he is quite entitled to their point of view.

Edge Magazine suggested that Super Mario 3D World began life as Super Mario 3D Land 2 for example. That is a valid and legitimate point of view.

And as for producers, of-course a developer's not going to admit that. They'll put a positive spin on it.

Woah there! Just because you disagree does not make it a s***-post.

S/he is quite entitled to their point of view.

Edge Magazine suggested that Super Mario 3D World began life as Super Mario 3D Land 2 for example. That is a valid and legitimate point of view.

And as for producers, of-course a developer's not going to admit that. They'll put a positive spin on it.

Someone posting something that's been proven to be untrue, and treating it as fact, is absolutely a shitpost. Splatoon 2 being "just a port" isn't an opinion, it's a falsehood.

Hero

Aside from making up shit // pulling it out of their asses, I'm getting really sick and tired of seeing "Splatoon 2 isn't even a real sequel." Like, what in the actual fuck?

z0m3le

Banned
Then you'll be up for a rude awakening.

I never expected strong 3rd party support from Western devs, and I do own a PC. I'm just not falling for the wust trap that saw a huge down grade in gpu performance but a huge upgrade in cpu performance. Rather just wait so I'm not correcting people in a year with actual info from retail units because articles were written with these specs now.

Xdrive05

This is all very interesting but obviously doesn't address the alleged changes in October. When are we going to get that leak?

We're not, aren't we.

10 bucks says someone will have to delid the SoC and take some pretty pictures before we know the final score. Just like last time.

Seems like I got an STD or lost an election.

How about, Vernified Insider?

But... the OP clearly shows that they didn't have any clock speed restrictions in July. That information must have been given later...

Jonnax

157gflops undocked and 393gflops docked if eurogamer's clocks are final.

Okay. So:

Wii U CPU: 14.79 GFLOPS (???)
Wii U GPU: 176(?) / 352.0 GFLOPS

Edit: So it seems like there's a bit of uncertainty when it comes to the Wii U's GPU.
Eurogamer make a guess here from microscope photos of the chip itself as similar to the Radeon HD 4650. But its FLOPs are in the region of the higher number.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

Switch GPU Undocked: 157 GFLOPS
Switch GPU Docked : 393 GFLOPS

PS3 CPU: 230.4 GFLOPS
PS3 GPU: 400.4 GFLOPS

Xbox 360 CPU: 115.2 GFLOPS
Xbox 360 GPU: 240 GFLOPS

PS4 CPU: 102.4 GLOPS
PS4 GPU: 1,843 GLOPS

PS4 Pro CPU: 134.4 GFLOPS
PS4 Pro GPU: 4,197 GFLOPS

Top Bottom