• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox360 Top50 Lifetime in Japan (Through to 2007 Dec 9th)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Rhindle said:
That kind of proves his point. It's almost impossible to buy a non-Germnan beer in Germany. And that's not due to Germans being "xenophobic" or whatever, it's just that they're trained not to accept anything else in that product category.

A closer analogy would be movies in the US. Foreign pictures have no chance of breaking out beyond the Art theatre niche in the US, even though there's mass-market acceptance of Japanese videogames and anime. Japan is the exact opposite.

I think that's precisely what's going on with videogames in Japan. It's not an Xbox thing. Almost all Western releases on Sony and Nintendo platforms bomb as well. Anything associated with a Western brand is presumptively unacceptable.

This is what I basically want to say. European and American developers barely make a blip in Japan. However, that brings me back to my original point in that it is a gaijin software.

duckroll

Agent Icebeezy said:
This is what I basically want to say. European and American developers barely make a blip in Japan. However, that brings me back to my original point in that it is a gaijin software.

I dunno though. GTA games sell well over 200k in Japan. That's more than most JRPGs sell. :p

FightyF

Banned
arne said:
Oh stop it with the xenophobia excuse guys. sigh.

In my Comp Sci lab there were people part of a game design course and they were blabbering about consoles, and one Asian guy said that at his church (there are many Asian only churches here, mostly Chinese) no one buys the 360 because it's an American console and the ones that do own it keep it a secret. :lol He wasn't kidding, he was completely serious.

I truly believe it. I suppose MS already has some market research in this regard, like actual polls and such. Until I see those proving otherwise, I think that Xenophobia has something to do with it, and that MS should change the way their console is designed/marketed to adapt. MS not adapting to the Japanese market with the original Xbox proved to be a mistake, no? Massive console and controllers, you could just look at it and recognize it as an American product.

Agent Icebeezy

duckroll said:
I dunno though. GTA games sell well over 200k in Japan. That's more than most JRPGs sell. :p

Most likely due to Capcom publishing it in Japan

pa.95051.2.jpg
pa.95048.17.jpg
pa.95049.12.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

duckroll said:
Okay, and Capcom publishes on the Xbox360 too....... Are we going in circles yet?

The basic point of the matter is that a lot of Western games debut at 30 on Media Create then go the way of the dinosaur. It's been that way for generally all of the games. Be it whatever. Western related things in Japan in relation to videogames does not move a lot of units, hardware or software. If 200k is the high bar that has been set for all western games, that's pretty sad in itself and drives my point home. Especially when a Japanese blockbuster like FF12 can debut with 896k in one month here in the states.

NoirYuki

I dunno guys, maybe it's because they want something a little different? Japanese cultural tastes vary from American/European tastes, and its not like PS3 is doing great either. I do believe they have a Wii and--more importantly--DS fetish. I figured GAF would be the first to pick up on that.

duckroll

Rhindle said:
200K vs. 8 Million? Not a very compelling counterpoint :)

Okay, so a game sells relatively well compared to other games, but doesn't sell as much as in the US, that means the industry must be xenophonic. Gotcha. GTA sells much better than many Japanese games, that's my point. If it's really OMG XENOPHONIC, then it being a western game would sell worse than every single Japanese game out there, simply because they would be afraid to buy it because it is western. :p

Rhindle

duckroll said:
Okay, so a game sells relatively well compared to other games, but doesn't sell as much as in the US, that means the industry must be xenophonic. Gotcha. GTA sells much better than many Japanese games, that's my point. If it's really OMG XENOPHONIC, then it being a western game would sell worse than every single Japanese game out there, simply because they would be afraid to buy it because it is western. :p
The point is that any Western game will sell <10% of what it should sell, after you adjust for market size. Obviously, with a monster franchise like GTA, <10% is still a decent number. But it's still at a huge disadvantage, by virtue of the fact that it's Western-developed.

As I said in my post above, "xenophobia" has nothing to do with it. There simply is a widespread presumption that Western games are inferior/unfun/whatever, and it's very hard for any publisher to overcome that presumption.

Piper Az

Rhindle said:
The point is that any Western game will sell <10% of what it should sell, after you adjust for market size. Obviously, with a monster franchise like GTA, <10% is still a decent number. But it's still at a huge disadvantage, by virtue of the fact that it's Western-developed.

As I said in my post above, "xenophobia" has nothing to do with it. There simply is a widespread presumption that Western games are inferior/unfun/whatever, and it's very hard for any publisher to overcome that presumption.

True enough, but how many games (Japanese or Western) really sell over 500k in Japan? Only the usual suspects - FF series, Pokemon, Mario, Winning Eleven, and some non-DS/Wii games, etc...

I'm sure there's a level of bias against Western games, but the game sales on the 360 is another matter - some Japanses games that everyone expect to sell simply aren't moving when they are for the 360...I really want to see somekind of survey done in Japan about what people think about the console:

Q: What do you think about Xbox 360?

1. It's not Japanese, so it must suck
2. No FF or MGS on the system
3. Hardware's not reliable
4. Everyone told me it's no good
5. Games are not appealing because it has many Western games

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
medrew said:
Software sales are terrible across the board. If you're not releasing for 360 based on these numbers then you might as well not release for PS3 and Wii as well then.

Look at Wii's software chart and compare it to the 360's. It's not even close. RE:UC is probably going to overtake Blue Dragon in a few weeks for heaven's sake. Now, I do agree that for a leading console Wii software for third party is certainly a disappointment. But to say they are as bad as 360's?

phez

Banned
I've heard otaku culture is reaching some pretty shitass lows over there, complaining and boycotting even the smallest dertao;s from anime, games, movies, the likes, causing an embarassing market situation for whoever. case in point, the resignation of some top level peeps from gainax a while back for getting mad at 2ch otaku complaining about 'animation quality'. there has also been ramblings about the 360 as well, so i guess that'd be another theory to throw out there.

please, correct me if im wrong.

aeolist

Banned
Rhindle said:

Well maybe GTA selling insanely in America is what's disproportionate and not the Japanese numbers. I've always thought it pulled strangely high numbers for as many problems as the game has.

medrew

schuelma said:
Look at Wii's software chart and compare it to the 360's. It's not even close. RE:UC is probably going to overtake Blue Dragon in a few weeks for heaven's sake. Now, I do agree that for a leading console Wii software for third party is certainly a disappointment. But to say they are as bad as 360's?

You're looking primarily at the exceptions. What I think Johnny's implications (serious or joke form) was about the majority of the games and that their sales have tanked dependent of the platform.

And besides which releasing the 360 games in Japan does make some sense. Even if they only sell 20-40k it is still worthwhile if they're targeted for widespread release in other countries (which 360 games typically are) and advertising isn't huge. Translating to Japanese wouldn't exactly be an exhaustive and expensive exercise (ex alliteration overload) considering most of the cost of the game is sunk and the distribution network is already there.

duckroll

Okay, before we get too carried away. Let's look at this:

- How many Japanese FPS games sell better than western counterparts? None.
- How many Japanese sandbox games sell better than western counterparts? None.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
medrew said:
You're looking primarily at the exceptions. What I think Johnny's implications (serious or joke form) was about the majority of the games and that their sales have tanked dependent of the platform.

I don't know man. I'm looking at the two consoles charts side by side and even just looking at Wii 3rd party games compared to every single 360 game, the Wii games come out on top. Just eyeballing, the 360's top 10 games come out to about 850K. The top 10 Wii 3rd party games come out to about 1.5M.

Jonnyram said:
Check software sales on Wii and PS3 and try saying that again.

It doesn't cost as much to produce a non-HD game for the Wii/PS2 though, not to mention they actually do better on Wii/PS2 anyways.

ThirdEye

There are even less reasons to buy 360 in Japan as most games western game fans in Japan like are multiplatform now. COD4 online? Buy PS3.

duckroll said:
21. Earth Defense Force 3 - 27,087
39. Earth Defense Force 3 (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection) - 14,707 (total sales 41,794)
This is the saddest thing I've seen since someone linked to that kitten stomping video.

C4Lukins

duckroll said:

In the west, the top Japanese games, MGS, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Mario, Zelda, sell comparably with the top western games, Halo, GTA, Madden... In Japan, the top Western games at best sell 10 percent of what the top Japanese games do. A GTA selling 200 to 500k while you have 5 million sellers over there. I am not sure it is Xenophobic, but lets stop pretending that there is not a certain amount of closed mindedness going on over there.

Agent Icebeezy

CrushDance said:
NO MORE HEROES.

Exactly.

Suda 51 games don't really sell anywhere. I buy them, but hardly anybody else does. I have Killer 7 and I already have No More Heroes paid off in its entirety. We just helped Mario Galaxy hit 1 million in it's first month here in the States. It doesn't just fall with the Xbox 360 side of things. Look at the PS3 and Sony's western offerings. Uncharted is fuck awesome, but where it is at on the the charts. It has gone home a long time ago. What people want to do with their money is there prerogative, but you can't tell me that something isn't up in Japan when it comes to foreign gaming software.

Jag22

Banned
Why is Gran Turismo so popular in Japan, but Forza isn't it? Forza does a lot of things better than Gran Turismo, even most Gran Turismo fans will admit that.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Suda 51 games don't really sell anywhere. I buy them, but hardly anybody else does. I have Killer 7 and I already have No More Heroes paid off in its entirety. We just helped Mario Galaxy hit 1 million in it's first month here in the States. It doesn't just fall with the Xbox 360 side of things. Look at the PS3 and Sony's western offerings. Uncharted is fuck awesome, but where it is at on the the charts. It has gone home a long time ago. What people want to do with their money is there prerogative, but you can't tell me that something isn't up in Japan when it comes to foreign gaming software.
Well even Mario didn't do so hot in Japan. It's really complicated but I think nationalism might have something to do with it. Albeit very little.

Agent Icebeezy

Jag22 said:
Why is Gran Turismo so popular in Japan, but Forza isn't it? Forza does a lot of things better than Gran Turismo, even most Gran Turismo fans will admit that.

GT has the benefit of being 'the game' for a long duration. It has done a lot for racing games in general and to a lesser extent, for the car industry. Not saying it can coast off of brand recognition, but it does make a compelling case for doing so. However, talking about Forza and sales brings me back to my original argument. If the roles were reversed, GT would be on the short end of the stick. I'm sure of that.

Brashnir

Jag22 said:

Forza 2 did 31k on a userbase of less than 500k, so it wasn't a complete bomb. The userbase just isn't there. The GT series has always been on the #1 console, which helped build its fanbase. Since it's been established for so long now, and the games are packed with so much content, I think a lot of GT fans are "GT only" fans, and don't care to buy another game that's like it, since the GT game they have is all they need until the next one.

Agent Icebeezy

CrushDance said:
Well even Mario didn't do so hot in Japan. It's really complicated but I think nationalism might have something to do with it. Albeit very little.

Mario started off not doing so hot, however, it is number 4 in the latest media create that was released tonight. It is doing rather fine now.

Banned
Many of the big eastern franchises that put up monster sales in the West now are pretty old, and their popularity here might be becuase when they came eastern development dominated consoles and handhelds much more than they do now so they have a built in fanbase. You can' say the same for western companies in Japan.

David Hasselhoff is an American. He makes CDs that were very popular in some European countries, but they don't sell well in America. Should he quit making music?

Japanese companies can hit a strong market with their games on the 360 in America (depending on the genre). The American 360 consumer is almost ravenous in their buying patterns (it will be interesting to see if this continues post Halo 3, but CoD4 says yes.) Just because it isn't selling at home doesn't mean it isn't a good move to continue doing it.

duckroll

Skiptastic said:
David Hasselhoff is an American. He makes CDs that were very popular in some European countries, but they don't sell well in America. Should he quit making music?

David Hasselhoff has exclusive albums that are only released in the US? :)

MCD

IIRC, Samsung bailed out of japan recently.

shit doesn't sell with Panasonic, Sony and other Japanese companies are on the market, despite Samsung efforts, quality or better products...etc...

jgwhiteus

Piper Az said:
I really want to see somekind of survey done in Japan about what people think about the console:

Q: What do you think about Xbox 360?

1. It's not Japanese, so it must suck
2. No FF or MGS on the system
3. Hardware's not reliable
4. Everyone told me it's no good
5. Games are not appealing because it has many Western games

They actually ran a feature on Kotaku a while ago featuring random 2ch comments about the XBox 360 and why it wasn't selling in Japan. Of course, like here, opinions were varied. But some of them are interesting nonetheless.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/import-multi_tap/2chan-explains-why-japan-hates-xbox-360-280004.php

Kotaku said:
2chan Explains Why Japan Hates Xbox 360
It's a fact: Microsoft Japan is having a rough time. Sales of the Xbox 360 are consistently low. There are the occasional bright spots in which games like Blue Dragon or THE iDOLM@STER move a few extra machines. But, all in all, it's not enough really. In an E307 interview with Famitsu, former Xbox honcho Peter Moore said, "Why doesn't the Xbox 360 sell in Japan? I want to ask you." Well! Japanese internet forum 2channel weighed in with its opinion.

Keep in mind: 2chan posters should NOT be taken as a representation of all of Japan. There are something like 120 million people in Japan. They come in all shapes and sizes and do not, I repeat, do not all have the same opinion. What's more, some of the 2chan commenters are down right stupid. If only I could ban a big chunk of them! Still, their opinion is interesting and should shed some light on something — at least what some people over at 2chan think of the Xbox 360.

Hit the jump for comments. I didn't translate them all, and actually tried to stay away from the more moronic, flame baiting ones.

"MS doesn't have any 'sense.'"
"The Xbox 360 is expensive, big and noisy."

"Japan already has Nintendo and Sony. Don't need to buy the Xbox."

"The core audience is for foreigners in their thirties. In Japan, there are many female and children gamers. That's the reason."

"If there's an RPG that equals FF or DQ it should do well, right?"

"HD (lol)
do! do! do! (lol)"

"I don't even know what games it has. Weren't the TV commercials unsatisfying?"

"Foreigners are satisfied only with killing. Japanese are not that stupid."

"Japan is 'moe' and erotic games."

"Microsoft doesn't any original games for Japanese. Nintendo has Mario, etc. Sony has Hot Shots Golf. Microsoft????"

"Instead of saying the Xbox is bad, it's important to note that Sony and Nintendo are too established. There isn't much room for them to enter."

"It's because the advertising strategy of Microsoft Japan is dumb."

"Even though I want to buy an Xbox 360 more than the PS3, I am going to hold off until the console breakdowns decrease."

"Put out more demos."

"For me, it ended at do! do! do!" (do! do! do! was Microsoft's Japan TV campaign with pop group Tokio.)

"Overseas Ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwoBxjchWUM
Japanese Ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GKEsPzYFWA
That's not very good."

"Because it sounds as loud as a microwave oven?"

"Its image is Western games and boob volleyball. With that, how are you supposed to buy it?"

"Since the console is not region free, it's hard to think of the Xbox 360's true enjoyment. If your English is okay, it's actually pretty interesting."

"It stinks like the Sega Saturn stinks."

"I got it! Sell it packaged with Vista!!"

Ponn

Banned
duckroll said:
Okay, before we get too carried away. Let's look at this:

- How many Japanese FPS games sell better than western counterparts? None.

What were the sales of Dirge?

Appearances do matter

You know, it's probably the hardware issues and image that the Xbox has that's killing it in Japan, not the games. For Microsoft to see any kind of success in Japan, it needs to pull a Nintendo, and better; it's needs to pull everything off right, in the right sequence, at the right time.

What are the issues? Image, really. Where does that stem from? Well, there is, as some people have pointed out, the image that the Xbox carries from being abroad. Add to that the image western games have.

What image does the Xbox have, being from the U.S.? Well, to answer that correctly, we have to see what the predominant Western games are, or at least the types. What is (commonly) perceived as a Western game?

Well, it'd probably be a shooter or a sandbox type game that involves some sort of overt, in-your-face violent, like GTA or Halo. This is the perception of Western games, in all likelihood. Hell, in the West, that is the perception of videogaming; it's all guns and killing things.

Now, add to that the stereotype of the American in the East. It's probably some blond/brown haired, blue eyed muscled dude who, in contrast with his similar European cousins, loves guns and big cars.

Combine these two images, and you get a console that does not fit Japan at all. Japan does not mind violence, as long as it's cartoonized. Yes, most games contain violence. Hell, Mario technically does stomp his enemies to death. It's presented in a manner acceptable to the Japanese (and most people everywhere) whereas they just might find that giving someone a headshot that you yourself aimed in first person disagreeable. Or pressing "X" over and over to beat someone to death with a bat, after which you make off with the money the person dropped.

Is this true of all western games? No. But this is probably the popular perception of Western games.

It's not a problem from without, but a problem from within.

Well, there is a market for everything. Hell, look at some of the weird things Japan offers. However, remember that Japan is a land of technology, and they are a world economic powerhouse based on their ability innovate and create solid technology, from a software and hardware standard. This means that technology sold there must work.

The Xbox 360 has a reputation for failing. In consumer electronics, where a 5% failure rate is considered high and borderline unacceptable, there are reports that the 360 nears a 33% failure rate, and a probable 100% failure rate for all pre-Falcon units.

Outer images and inner failings

So, we have a console with these images:

It has
-games in genres with motifs that Japan does not like
-weak hardware (build quality)

"But the PS2, good sir, was infamous for its DRE errors! I do believe I have found, in fact, an error in your assertions!"

Ah ha! But the PS2 was replete with the games Japan does so dearly love, and it had the benefit of coming off a wildly successful predecessor. The Xbox 360 is coming off a system that sold abysmally, had few games to attract the Japanese crowd, was famous for being big, and had been cut off early, in terms of support.

The big "What if?"

What would the 360 have needed to pull in PS3 numbers? (Cause, let's face it, if the PS3 is doing what it is, the 360 probably wouldn't fare much better)

-A launch filled with a good amount of Japanese oriented games for all people, from otaku to their sisters, and perhaps a game that mom and dad can enjoy on occasion.
-A steady diet thereafter of decent games, and with a smattering of big hits to grab media attention.
-Rock solid (Falcon or better) 360s. Microsoft would have had to funnel all their first Falcons there, if they had them at the time.
-Commercials showing pachinko games, JRPGs, sims, SRPGs, platformers, racers, and the quirky games. It needs to yell "WE ARE THE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO THE PS2." Ads selling HD and Live are lost on the Japanese; they don't value HD as much as GAF thought they did, and there's no need for Internet when you've got arcades.

So, to say that the 360 is not selling because it's a foreign console in a foreign country is correct, but to assume it's xenophobia is not. It's simply that a combination of factors, from perceived images to various missteps on the foreign company's part, has prevented it from achieving any sort of success.

Have any foreign companies done well in Asia?

Foreign companies have done well in Asia. Why have these particular companies done well? In China, there's a western furniture company that's done incredibly because they've done something in tune with Chinese culture. They allow Chinese to go in the showrooms, and use the furniture as if it were their own. Lie on it, use the desks for work, they provide outlets for computers, wifi for laptops. They have playthings for kids in the kids section. They know that the Chinese customer likes to touch before they buy, and because they were sensitive to that cultural point, they rake in the dough.

Again, in China. KFC is the biggest foreign fast food company. Why? Because of their intelligent marketing. It's targeted at the moms with an only son, and a grandmothers with one grandsona. They are told that, if they want their only son to grow up strong and healthy, they eat KFC chicken. The KFCs have a strong family atmosphere, with giant images of happy children eating KFC.

Bold text: The next gen vantage

You guys want bold or somethin'?

FlightOfHeaven said:
Why? Because of their intelligent marketing. It's targeted at the mom's with a single son, and a grandmothers with single grandsons. They are told that, if they want their only son to grow up strong and healthy, they eat KFC chicken.

:lol

I'm sorry, that's just really funny.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
FlightOfHeaven said:
You know, it's probably the hardware issues and image that the Xbox has that's killing it in Japan, not the games. For Microsoft to see any kind of success in Japan, it needs to pull a Nintendo, and better; it's needs to pull everything off right, in the right sequence, at the right time.

What are the issues? Image, really. Where does that stem from? Well, there is, as some people have pointed out, the image that the Xbox carries from being abroad. Add to that the image western games have.

What image does the Xbox have, being from the U.S.? Well, to answer that correctly, we have to see what the predominant Western games are, or at least the types. What is (commonly) perceived as a Western game?

Well, it'd probably be a shooter or a sandbox type game that involves some sort of overt, in-your-face violent, like GTA or Halo. This is the perception of Western games, in all likelihood. Hell, in the West, that is the perception of videogaming; it's all guns and killing things.

Now, add to that the stereotype of the American in the East. It's probably some blond/brown haired, blue eyed muscled dude who, in contrast with his similar European cousins, loves guns and big cars.

Combine these two images, and you get a console that does not fit Japan at all. Japan does not mind violence, as long as it's cartoonized. Yes, most games contain violence. Hell, Mario technically does stomp his enemies to death. It's presented in a manner acceptable to the Japanese (and most people everywhere) whereas they just might find that giving someone a headshot that you yourself aimed in first person disagreeable. Or pressing "X" over and over to beat someone to death with a bat, after which you make off with the money the person dropped.

Is this true of all western games? No. But this is probably the popular perception of Western games.

Well, there is a market for everything. Hell, look at some of the weird things Japan offers. However, remember that Japan is a land of technology, and they are a world economic powerhouse based on their ability innovate and create solid technology, from a software and hardware standard. This means that technology sold there must work.

The Xbox 360 has a reputation for failing. In consumer electronics, where a 5% failure rate is considered high and borderline unacceptable, there are reports that the 360 nears a 33% failure rate, and a probable 100% failure rate for all pre-Falcon units.

So, we have a console with these images:

It has
-games in genres with motifs that Japan does not like
-weak hardware (build quality)

"But the PS2, good sir, was infamous for it's DRE errors! I do believe I have found, in fact, an error in your assertions!"

Ah ha! But the PS2 was replete with the games Japan does so dearly love, and it had the benefit of coming off a wildly successful predecessor. The Xbox 360 is coming off a system that sold abysmally, had few games to attract the Japanese crowd, was famous for being big, and had been cut off early, in terms of support.

What would the 360 have needed to pull in PS3 numbers? (Cause, let's face it, if the PS3 is doing what it is, the 360 probably wouldn't fare much better)

-A launch filled with a good amount of Japanese oriented games for all people, from otaku to their sisters, and perhaps a game that mom and dad can enjoy on occasion.
-A steady diet thereafter of decent games, and with a smattering of big hits to grab media attention.
-Rock solid (Falcon or better) 360s. Microsoft would have had to funnel all their first Falcon's there, if they had them at the time.
-Commercials showing pachinko games, JRPGs, sims, SRPGs, platformers, racers, and the quirky games. It needs to yell "WE ARE THE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO THE PS2." Ads selling HD and Live are lost on the Japanese; they don't value HD as much as GAF thought they did, and there's no need for Internet when you've got arcades.

So, to say that the 360 is not selling because it's a foreign console in a foreign country is correct, but to assume it's xenophobia is not. It's simply that a combination of factors, from perceived images to various missteps on the foreign company's part, has prevented it from achieving any sort of success.

Foreign companies have done well in Asia. Why have these particular companies done well? In China, there's a western furniture company that's done incredibly because they've done something in tun with Chinese culture. They allow Chinese to go in the showrooms, and use the furniture as if it were their own. Lie on it, use the desks for work, they provide outlets for computers, wifi for laptops. They have playthings for kids in the kids section. They know that the Chinese customer likes to touch before they buy, and because they were sensitive to that cultural point, they rake in the dough.

Again, in China. KFC is the biggest foreign fast food company. Why? Because of their intelligent marketing. It's targeted at the mom's with a single son, and a grandmothers with single grandsons. They are told that, if they want their only son to grow up strong and healthy, they eat KFC chicken. The KFCs have a strong family atmosphere, with giant images of happy children eating KFC.

You guys want bold or somethin'?
I think everything you said makes alot of sense.

jgwhiteus

FlightOfHeaven said:

...snip...
-Commercials showing pachinko games, JRPGs, sims, SRPGs, platformers, racers, and the quirky games. It needs to yell "WE ARE THE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO THE PS2."

I think your post is great, but I think the PS3 would benefit more from the above than the 360 would...frankly, the PS3 wouldn't be pulling "PS3" numbers if it had the above. Actually, the Wii and PSP wouldn't hurt from having the stuff you named either.

Just curious - do you know how western movies do in Japan generally? (EDIT: assuming you're in Japan, or maybe China?). I always think of the US as generally been successful in exporting its culture to other countries with a certain "wow" factor (though that's probably taken a hit in recent years), and I can't imagine the Japanese are "xenophobic" to things like Hollywood movies/celebrities, etc. Maybe another (very difficult) tack is to try to win over the Japanese public with something alternative to its domestic culture instead of trying to compete with Sony and Nintendo. It's just that Microsoft hasn't been able to "wow" Japanese gamers the way that Hollywood movies do the general public?

Glad to see that my post was a contribution to GAF. I rarely get to do so, so, hey. : D

As for movies in Japan: they don't face the same problems Microsoft, as a gaming company, does. Hollywood is the preeminent movie, err, place in the world. The movies made there are exported everywhere and feature stars recognized around the world. In fact, the situation is reversed for Microsoft (gaming) in Japan and Japanese movies in the United States.

Think about it like this; Spirited Away was a well received movie, got excellent reviews, and won a prize or two, if I'm not mistaken. It's an animated movie, with excellent animation and a good story. It probably did not do well because of the "if it's from Japan, it must be anime, must be for kids and nerds" stigma. This probably limited its audience from the outset, so presentation in theaters was limited, if at all present.

Flip this for a western release in the Japanese game market. Take Bioshock (if it isn't out there, lets say it is) and apply those same things. It has good graphics, solid gameplay, a rather good story. It was well received, generally well reviewed, and has won a couple of GOTY from different sites for the platform it is on. Yet, it's a FPS from the West, so it was dismissed as a violent shooter from America. Knowing this, the company that published it would probably, or has, limited the amount of copies printed, and limited the ad campaign.

See?

*Disclaimer: I do not know how Spirited Away actually did in the United States, but if it was a break out hit that I was just not aware that the general public loved, then I live under a rock.

Note: Added bold to the first post I made. <3

Edit: Would the PS3 benefit from some of these things (it already has great build quality, and a strong brand in Japan)? Of course! However, we are talking about the 360 here. : D

The PS3 has it's own slew of problems. Too late to be #1, but not too late to be a relevant #2.

Top Bottom