• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Bog

Junior Ace
are you really?

edit- It just seems like alot of Samsung Owners go out of their way to talk down these LG OLEDs...some in subtle ways.... where as I don't see OLED owners going out of their way to talk down the Samsung series.

Do you ever hear BMW and Mercedes owners bother mentioning Hondas?

New002

Update on lag results from the latest firmware update for E6 and C6. Bottom line, amazing job by LG to respond to our requests with a substantial improvement. They definitely now without a doubt sell the best TVs available!

We have tested our C6 and E6 and found fairly significant input lag improvements - for a 1080p @ 60Hz + HDR input the lag is now 36.6ms for both TVs, and for a 4k @ 60Hz + HDR input the lag is 36.8ms for both TVs. The reviews will be updated with this new information by the end of the day, and we will also test the other LG TVs the update applies to.

Daniel O'Keeffe
Rtings.com

Wonderful. This issue was the only thing slightly souring my purchase decision, so I'm glad to see LG addressing it. I know it's not the input lag champ, but I'm more than willing to live with 36.6 given the picture quality. Hopefully they keep lowering it.

Fuck EU oled
No fix yet for hdcp or game mode here (c6)

What is the problem with the C6 and HDCP. I am using the C6p with my pro no issues at all. I had an issue for a while and I kept tinkering with it and it is now working. The only change I made to the settings were to swtich off HDMI-CEC control on the ps4 pro and auto power for hdmi devices on the tv settings.

I did reregister the ps4 pro on the tv several times before it worked again. I don't know maybe I am just lucky.

Thanks.

I hear complaints about the auto brightness feature. Is that a issue for all OLED?
Auto Brightness Limiting does exist on OLED but with proper calibration, I find it to be a non-issue and completely unnoticeable for a vast majority of the content I view. Keep in mind that I'm coming from a Plasma which had similar functionality built-in and I'm in a light controlled environment where I never have my TV running in torch mode.

What is the problem with the C6 and HDCP..
Some folks were exhibiting a black screen when the PS4 Pro was connected to the television. It appeared to be an HDMI/HDCP 2.2 handshake issue that LG sorted out. The B6 has a released firmware update right now (4.30.65) to correct the issue. Not sure if that filtered through to the C6 as of yet.

HylianTom

Banned
I owned the KS8000 before I owned the B6.

The KS8000 is a fine television. It simply didn't suite my own needs/preferences for what I find it most important for good picture quality. Especially coming from a high end plasma. LED TV's have come a LONG way in a short amount of time but the limitations of the technology are not limitations that I could personally live with given where I was coming from.

For the price you can get the KS8000 for right now? It's an insanely good value and a worthy television for those looking to upgrade. For me, it was OLED or bust once I got to experience one up close and personal.

This is the inner conflict I'm having. I have a plasma that just died; I was absolutely smitten with it, and fear it has ruined my taste in TVs. The KS8000 looks like it'd be so damn excellent.. but that OLED screen just sings out to me.

Lexxism

Some folks were exhibiting a black screen when the PS4 Pro was connected to the television. It appeared to be an HDMI/HDCP 2.2 handshake issue that LG sorted out. The B6 has a released firmware update right now (4.30.65) to correct the issue. Not sure if that filtered through to the C6 as of yet.
Just to clarify. The b6 firmware at lg site is for hdcp 2.2 only? Or does it include the hdr gaming?

This is the inner conflict I'm having. I have a plasma that just died; I was absolutely smitten with it, and fear it has ruined my taste in TVs. The KS8000 looks like it'd be so damn excellent.. but that OLED screen just sings out to me.

Get the OLED. It is something you want so much more.

SOLDIER

Since there are several LG OLED owners here, maybe one of you could answer this question for me:

For the LG OLED B6/C6/E6 series, is it better to set the PS4's RPG to Full, Limited or Auto?

In addition, what should the Black Level and Gamma combination be? I was watching the latest Death Stranding trailer on YouTube and noticed that having Black Level on High made Del Toro and the tunnel appear completely black, while setting it to Low made him significantly more visible. Is it better to adjust both Black Level and Gamma at the same time, or choose one over the other?

Also wondering what color settings are best? There's a dynamic color setting, wondering if that's worth using. I also haven't seen any downsides to Super Resolution (not sure how that affects movies though).

As an owner of a B6, I was initially excited for the HDR game mode until I read it a bit closer. Shucks! Hopefully they can still come through by the 6th. If they can't add it due to the chipset, I would at least like for them to let us know so I can remove all hopes.

*Edit* - A few more users on avforums also confirmed that they spoke to LG VIP support and that the B6 HDR Mode support is indeed coming. Can't wait! I need this mostly for Forza Horizon.

Don't know if it helps but I'll give you some pros and cons that I came away with having owned the KS8000 for about three weeks before returning it for the B6:

Pros:

- Some really nice black levels considering its an edge lit display. The VA panel will impress in that regard if you come into it thinking an LED can't provide deep blacks at the level of your plasma. I watched "Lights Out" on Blu-Ray on the first night and was genuinely surprised by the black level performance.
- I thought it had strong color reproduction after calibration. Not as good as say - the Sony 930D which I think is a superior television image quality wise in just about every way but quite pleasing overall.
- Very nice HDR performance. The peak brightness on the set is impressive and you'll definitely get that wow factor when playing quality sources like UHD BD discs and HDR games.
- Overall performance with lesser quality sources is solid overall.

Cons:

- I got a really good panel with zero light bleed but being edge lit - there's still plenty of blooming and clouding. It's inherent to the technology. I remember playing The Last of Us when the HDR update came out and during one of the seasonal transitions it brought up "Spring" in white text against the black background and a whole quarter of the television was lit up with clouded lighting behind the text. Subtitled films were...ugh.
- Off angle viewing is atrocious. No other way to put it. If you're in the sweet spot? You're golden. You're going to get a great image. Sit in the chair 2-3 feet to the side and welcome to a complete wash out. Hell even getting up and standing above the TV slightly and it drains the image of all punch. It's probably my biggest disappointment with the set.
- Honestly I felt the build quality of the set was a bit lackluster. I had some separation between the front panel and the back plastic in a few places. I invariably clicked it back into place where it had separated and it held fine but it just felt flimsy all around.
- I despise the feet on the thing. I half debated returning it for the KS9000 just based on getting the better stand alone.:/

The KS8000 was a lateral move for with issues I had to live with. The B6 has been an upgrade from my VT50 in most every way outside of motion handling which the OLED still can't touch a good plasma on.

For the LG OLED B6/C6/E6 series, is it better to set the PS4's RPG to Full, Limited or Auto?
Set the PS4 level to full and the B6's black level to high. That will match and should give you proper black level performance. On the PS4 Pro, selecting "Auto" will set it for full so you'll want to use high.

If you use limited, set it for low, etc.

Since there are several LG OLED owners here, maybe one of you could answer this question for me:

In addition, what should the Black Level and Gamma combination be? I was watching the latest Death Stranding trailer on YouTube and noticed that having Black Level on High made Del Toro and the tunnel appear completely black, while setting it to Low made him significantly more visible. Is it better to adjust both Black Level and Gamma at the same time, or choose one over the other?

Also wondering what color settings are best? There's a dynamic color setting, wondering if that's worth using. I also haven't seen any downsides to Super Resolution (not sure how that affects movies though).

My setting:
RGB - full (I believe auto will use full)
Black level - high (use low if you set RGB to limited)
Gamma - 2.4
dynamic contrast - off

You also want to calibrate brightness + contrast setting (which can be done by eyes btw) following this guide:
https://www.missingremote.com/guide/display-calibration-part-i
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

I can confirm the new firmware on LG's website has fixed the HDCP 2.2 handshake issue on the B6. Installed it on a USB put it on TV thru USB slot, went to PS4Pro safe mode, set the HDCP back to auto, and I'm using 2.2 without issue.

SOLDIER

Thanks a lot. Originally I was going to return the E6 due to its ABL (still wish you could just shut it off), but after learning not to crank the contrast so much, I may have mitigated it to the point I barely notice it. Going to apply these settings and see how that goes, though I wonder if they apply to both HDR and non-HDR content.

I also used the Movie preset, as I'd rather have one preset to keep for both games and movie playback on the PS4. Or do people still prefer one of the ISF options?

n0razi

I also used the Movie preset, as I'd rather have one preset to keep for both games and movie playback on the PS4. Or do people still prefer one of the ISF options?

I have a dedicated FireTV for media... the PS4 Pro is strictly for games so I can set the settings independently. I like TruMotion and Super Resolution in movies but I set everything off for games.

SOLDIER

I have a dedicated FireTV for media... the PS4 Pro is strictly for games so I can set the settings independently. I like TruMotion and Super Resolution in movies but I set everything off for games.

I got the Xbox One S for 4K movies, and I suppose it wouldn't make a bad resource of regular Blu Rays as well.

But seeing how that's also a games console, the same desire for a middle ground preset applies.

I think Super Resolution looks great with games, particularly Infamous Second Son and Ratchet and Clank. If there's a downside I haven't found it.

And again, wondering if the firmware improved lag in all settings, because TruMotion was where I noticed input lag for games.

Thanks a lot. Originally I was going to return the E6 due to its ABL (still wish you could just shut it off), but after learning not to crank the contrast so much, I may have mitigated it to the point I barely notice it. Going to apply these settings and see how that goes, though I wonder if they apply to both HDR and non-HDR content.
HDR content should have the black level set to low regardless of RGB range as HDR outputs on the PS4 Pro at least in YUV420 or YUV422. Setting to high will wash the picture out.

And again, wondering if the firmware improved lag in all settings, because TruMotion was where I noticed input lag for games.

The more processing you add to the image with things like TruMotion, the more lag you're adding. You really should disable any motion interpolation settings when you game if you don't want to add significant input lag.

--------------------------------------

By the way a few reports coming from some AVS folks confirming multiple LG reps have said the B6 HDR Game update is coming 12/6 and will roll out in waves to all users. So good news on that front.

SOLDIER

HDR content should have the black level set to low regardless of RGB range as HDR outputs on the PS4 Pro at least in YUV420 or YUV422. Setting to high will wash the picture out.

The more processing you add to the image with things like TruMotion, the more lag you're adding. You really should disable any motion interpolation settings when you game if you don't want to add significant input lag.

--------------------------------------

By the way a few reports coming from some AVS folks confirming multiple LG reps have said the B6 HDR Game update is coming 12/6 and will roll out in waves to all users. So good news on that front.

I don't intend to ever really use it (it rarely ever looks smooth), I was just curious. I'd be much more interested if they lowered the lag when using 3D, as that could result in some fun experiences with fixed camera angles (like World of Final Fantasy).

Lexxism

Nice. I think we need a thread title update on this.

I've decided that my KS8000 will be a stop gap for the LG OLED TVs for next year.

That is what I am telling myself so I can feel better about my decision.

n0razi

I've decided that my KS8000 will be a stop gap for the LG OLED TVs for next year.

The KS8000 was my stopgap for about 2 days before buyers remorse made me spring for the B6... no regrets! The biggest problem I had with the KS8000 was the viewing angles due to VA and edge lighting. It looked 80% as good as an OLED from center but looked like a cheap $500 TV from about 45-degrees.

The KS8000 was my stopgap for about 2 days before buyers remorse made me spring for the B6... no regrets! The biggest problem I had with the KS8000 was the viewing angles due to VA and edge lighting. It looked 80% as good as an OLED from center but looked like a cheap $500 TV from about 45-degrees.

Thats one of the things that got me about the KS8000.......the viewing angles. They were not the best. You had to be directly in front of the set to get the best picture.

Also, when will the new firmware be automatically pushed to TVs? I don't exactly have to have the update immediately seeing as my AV Receiver somehow fixed the HDCP issues before hand.

Xion86

This is great to hear. I've had my eye on the E6 for quite some time now and thinking of picking up next year around Jan/Feb time with hopefully a little price drop by then *fingers crossed*.

Thanks.

I hear complaints about the auto brightness feature. Is that a issue for all OLED?

I have the c6p and I barely notice the auto brightness. Apparently it only happens with peak brightness over a big portion of the screen say when you have a full bright screen.

It's a none issue for me. If you are on the fence about oled I can say that having two previous top of the line SOny XBR tvs with FALD and now owning my first oled. There is no comparison when it comes to PQ. Not to mention the web OC 3.0 is fantastic.

If you can I would return it and get the oled. There is no comparison. Even though I bought the top of the line Sony xbr from 2014-2015 I bit the bullet cause the price for the oledc6p was so low I couldn't resist and not one regret. Best TV I've ever owned.

Auto Brightness Limiting does exist on OLED but with proper calibration, I find it to be a non-issue and completely unnoticeable for a vast majority of the content I view. Keep in mind that I'm coming from a Plasma which had similar functionality built-in and I'm in a light controlled environment where I never have my TV running in torch mode.

Thanks. I did have something like that when I first got the tv but after tinkering with the settings it's working fine now. Weird.

Really glad to see this update. Now I'm going to buy a 55 inch E6 once it gets around 1500. I'd buy a B6, but I really need the soundbar for my smallish man room in my condo.

Afrikan

Really glad to see this update. Now I'm going to buy a 55 inch E6 once it gets around 1500. I'd buy a B6, but I really need the soundbar for my smallish man room in my condo.

don't really see that happening for while while.

The B6/C6 yeah.....and you could buy a sound bar seperately.

Afrikan

Well it was down to 1800 on sale a few weeks ago, seems completely possible in a few months during super bowl sales

that was from one place.... i don't think it will happen like that again. The price differences were so drastic in comparision to other "cheap" online retailers.

who ever jump on those deals, got one heck of a deal...especially for resale value down the road.

Xion86

But.. But... What about the 3D and freeview i think it as? Has the E6 got slightly lower input lag? (not that it will be noticeable i bet) :D

Prices usually drop slightly in Jan/Feb sales and also when the 2017 models are being introduced into the market?

Picked up the Samsung 65JS9500 on a Jan sale the year after the TV came out, ended up getting a fairly decent deal with the price drop.

teiresias

So would a 65 inch B6 be a worthy upgrade to my 50 inch Kuro? I'm really looking for a size upgrade this year and make the jump to HDR 4K.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
But.. But... What about the 3D and freeview i think it as? Has the E6 got slightly lower input lag? (not that it will be noticeable i bet) :D

Prices usually drop slightly in Jan/Feb sales and also when the 2017 models are being introduced into the market?

Picked up the Samsung 65JS9500 on a Jan sale the year after the TV came out, ended up getting a fairly decent deal with the price drop.

prices for the E6/C6 will probably hit their lowest in March/April as the stock dwindles out and the 2017s actually hit stores.

I think it'll happen eventually. I want the integrated sound bar mostly because it will look nicer and take up less space.

I'm rocking an old school panny plasma that I still enjoy so I can wait a bit longer.

Weevilone

prices for the E6/C6 will probably hit their lowest in March/April as the stock dwindles out and the 2017s actually hit stores.

I'll be surprised if they hit lower than the $1800 / $1500 deals we saw from Adorama, but if so... maybe I'll buy another one.

Weevilone

So would a 65 inch B6 be a worthy upgrade to my 50 inch Kuro? I'm really looking for a size upgrade this year and make the jump to HDR 4K.

I would say so, yes. There is a drop in motion resolution and shadow detail can be iffy if not properly calibrated.

Otherwise, yeah it's got a ton of advantages. Smart capabilities, blacks, 4k, HDR, lower input lag. etc. The 3D is mind blowing. I mean not weighing 120 pounds is nice too, though a minor consideration.

Source: Just replaced Kuro 5010 with 55E6.

If you can I would return it and get the oled. There is no comparison. Even though I bought the top of the line Sony xbr from 2014-2015 I bit the bullet cause the price for the oledc6p was so low I couldn't resist and not one regret. Best TV I've ever owned.

I would but I have other things I really should be spending the money on. As long as I don't have the C6 in my possession and see the difference constantly, I will be fine.

I hope.

I got my C6 (LOVE it), $1499 on Amazon + the curve is slight and 3D on an OLED - something that has to be seen, its outta this world!

Bought and LG soundbar, $98 on Amazon - still cheaper than E6 :)

Set PS4 color to limited and black level on Oled to low.

-griffy-

Banned
So I was getting ready to play panel lottery with my KS8000 I got yesterday, and was planning on returning tonight for a 55", but today I got a very nice holiday bonus and suddenly the B6 is in sight. What's the deal with image retention on this thing? I'm coming from a Panny plasma so I'm certainly no stranger to it, but one of the benefits of the KS8000 was not having to worry about it (I still have some Destiny HUD burned faintly into my plasma).

dakilla13

Yes. I bought the 65" B6 and it's seriously the best TV I've ever had. The colors are incredible and playing games on it is a joy. I'm convinced it's the best TV on the market, if you can stomach the cost.

Weevilone

that was from one place.... i don't think it will happen like that again. The price differences were so drastic in comparision to other "cheap" online retailers.

who ever jump on those deals, got one heck of a deal...especially for resale value down the road.

Yeah I'm in for $1800 on the display and an extended warranty to get it to 4 years for $89 I think from Costco. That should set me up for a while.

I also wonder if that reseller was helping LG clear out some inventory. I noticed that my set was manufactured in October though, so it's not like it had been sitting around. I wondered this b/c they advertised needing up to 10 days to ship.

Weevilone

so what would be missed out on if PS4(pro) is set to Auto/Full...and Oled to High?

edit- is your way for deeper blacks, without crush?

There is so much confusion about this spread across multiple threads. We could use a dedicated thread I'm thinking.. hmm.

Top Bottom