• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 PS3 details ("exclusive" interactive comic, all current DLC included)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
UPDATE: BioWare Responds
Hey Folks,

For those that don't know, I am the Producer responsible for Mass Effect 2 PS3. Some of you may have read over on the German forums some of the details on Mass Effect 2 PS3's contents. I'd like to provide some clarity as I believe that there was some translation errors in the interview that Casey gave.

Firstly I'd like to talk about what's on the BluRay Disc; Of course Mass Effect 2 will be included. On top of that, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Project Overlord, Kasumi: Stolen Memory and the Blood Dragon Armour.

Also included is, as on Xbox 360 and PC, an access code to the Cerberus Network. This will give you instant access to the same great lineup of Downloadable Content such as Zaeed and Firewalker.

We've talked briefly about the Interactive Comic. BioWare Edmonton (the group that made Mass Effect 2) teamed up with the fine folks at Dark Horse Comics to create an interactive backstory. While I can't release all the details about this yet, what I can tell you is that we want to create a stunning visual experience that not only tells the core story elements of Mass Effect 1, but also is fully interactive allowing you to be faced with some of the major choices which will have consequences your Mass Effect universe. This interactive comic's initial release will be exclusive to PS3 owners who would be otherwise unable to realize the full effect of choice in the Mass Effect universe and will be included on the Cerberus Network.

There will also be some DLC Bundles, such as the Aegis Pack as well as exclusive both Free and Paid DLC for all PlayStation 3 owners such as the Recon Operations Pack. More details about this will be released later. ;)

I want also to touch on the '6 hour exclusive mission'. This I believe is a communication error lost in translation. When we talk about 6 hours of content we are talking about what's included exclusively "On Disc" (Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Overlord), The Interactive Back Story and the Cerberus Network Access.

Words can not express how very pleased I am to be able to bring this BioWare title to our PlayStation fans.

Lastly - As we're still a little while away from shipping this game, therefor some of these details are subject to changing.

-Jess

ps The the team is in the final polishing phase now and the game is looking fantastic! I can't wait to talk more about it and show more of it soon!

Summary;

- Mass Effect 2 plus Kasumi, Overlord, Shadow Broker, and Blood Dragon Armor on the disk.
- Cerberus Network access code to download Zaeed and all that.
- Interactive comic confirmed. "Exclusive" to the PS3. Probably timed. Has to be downloaded from the Cerberus Network.
- DLC bundles. "Exclusive" both free and paid DLC for PS3, including the 'Recon Operations Pack'. Apparently just content that was available to PC/Xbox360 owners at some point, but would otherwise be unnavailable to PS3 owners. Think 'Terminus Armor' and other pre-order crap.
- No 'six hour mission'. Translation issue. Was referring to the combined additional content of Shadow Broker, Overlord, Kasumi, and the interactive intro.

ORIGINAL POST:

Figured it deserves its own thread. All props go to Lakitu from the Mass Effect 2 OT.

Lakitu said:
Some info on the PS3 version apparently... from the Bioware boards. Until there's an official confirmation though I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Rumours that it'll include:
-An interactive comic retelling ME 1, that you will make the key decisions in.
-It'll include all previously released DLC. (Which is a given)
-And it'll be have a new 6 hour mission / DLC. I don't know if that's exclusive to PS3 though. If it is, I'd imagine a huge backlash, but I reckon if it is true, it'll coincide with PS3's release.

Edit: Well it actually is official, it comes from a German moderator. http://social.bioware.com/forum/4/topic/81/index/5170462

As said, the package will apparently contain;

- An interactive 'Dark Horse' comic that tells the story of the first game, while allowing players to make choices.
- Access to the Cerberus Network and it's DLC.
- The mission pack DLC of Kasumi's Stolen Memory, Overlord, and Lair of the Shadow Broker.
- An additional mission with roughly six hours of game time.

It's a 'rumour', but it is being reported by a German moderator on the official BioWare forums, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were real.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Too bad
saving Wrex
means jack all in ME2. So meh to most of the "you can make decisions from ME1!" comic shit.

Suzzopher

EatChildren said:
- An additional mission with roughly six hours of game time.

I haven't checked Sony terms for a while, but don't Sony insist upon exclusive content for a late port?

Kyoufu

I don't see how its a rumour when a mod from the bioware forum posts it. I will buy this day one despite my disappointment in the game!

Suzzopher said:
I haven't checked Sony terms for a while, but don't Sony insist upon exclusive content for a late port?

This is certainly true of SCEJ. Not sure what SCEA's policy on it is, but games like Bioshock did have exclusive PS3 content so it's likely they mandate some sort of compensation in the form of exclusive DLC.

Maddog

That is a huge bang for your buck for someone who hasn't experienced Mass Effect yet. Contemplating double dipping just for that extra mission.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Maddog said:
That is a huge bang for your buck for someone who hasn't experienced Mass Effect yet. Contemplating double dipping just for that extra mission.

How long is the gameplay? I'm thinking of playing my first RPG in like 7 years. :lol

Owzers

Anerythristic said:
The choose your own adventure comic sounds awesome.

That might be the best way to play Mass Effect :p

I haven't bought any of the dlc so far but i have Mass Effect 2 for 360....i think i'll buy either the ps3 version, a potential game of the year 360 edition.....or if i get a gaming pc the goty pc version.

Oh, i'm also incredibly skeptical of the ps3 port. I know it's a different team than the ones who did the Dragon Age ps3 version, but that framerate was terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

bdouble

If true will buy. ME doesnt run too well on my MBP but I will finish the game there then get this. Hell can even make the same decisions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mckmas8808 said:
How long is the gameplay? I'm thinking of playing my first RPG in like 7 years. :lol

20 - 40 hours, including all DLC, depending on how much of the game you do.

JoeBoy101

mckmas8808 said:

About 35-45 hours with all the DLC. But if you haven't played Mass Effect first, I'd recommend hitting Steam and getting it for the $20 or less it will cost. You can port your character over with starting bonuses in ME2 and it helps knowing whats going on in the story.

Also, the intro in ME2 is a lot more impacting if you've played the first.

teiresias

I have a massive PC backlog since building my new rig, but I'm thinking I might go PS3 on ME2 rather than PC to play our on my big TV and sound system.

Hixx

If the exclusive-DLC is true, fuck Bioware/EA. Fuck them twice if its as good as Shadow Broker was.

If it's not exclusive... hurry up and release it or give details on ME3 :(

The interactive comic idea sounds like a good way to handle the first game choices. I like it. They could have taken the easy way out and made that automatic or super simplified.

Effort is good.

JoeBoy101

HixxSAFC said:
If the exclusive-DLC is true, fuck Bioware/EA. Fuck them twice if its as good as Shadow Broker was.

I'd like to think Bioware wouldn't fuck over PC gamers like that, but you never know these days.

Emitan

TheSeks said:
Too bad
saving Wrex
means jack all in ME2. So meh to most of the "you can make decisions from ME1!" comic shit.
The second game was focused on character development and leading up to the finale. I'm sure the "major" decisions will all come into play. Or I will burn Bioware to the ground for making me waste $200 and 4 years of my life on this series.

Felix Lighter said:
I own Mass Effect 1 & 2 on 360 and PC
You're not the only one. I own the Collector's Edition of ME2 and PC and the digital deluxe edition on PC, but that was actually a mistake.

gcubed

whats the big benefit from porting over from the first game? i've played it a few times through on the 360 but havent gotten ME2 yet. If all this is true its the only way i'd pay full price for it, otherwise i'd just get the 360 version for half the price (well, how much is all of the DLC)

EatChildren

HixxSAFC said:

The actual post does not list it as exclusive though. It literally translates to "A new mission for about six hours of play time."

mckmas8808 said:
Then you're better off searching elsewhere: ME2 is barely an RPG.

Anyway, its pretty cool that they're offering a way to make the decisions from the first game. I'd rather have the first game as a pack-in, though (in case you somehow can't tell, I'm one of those ME1 >>>>>>> ME2 guys).

Emitan

gcubed said:
whats the big benefit from porting over from the first game?
The entire point of the series is that all your decisions will carry over throughout the trilogy. If you don't play the first game the second game basically assumes you made a bunch of terrible decisions in the first game.

spats

Played through both ME's on the PC and enjoyed them a lot. Might get the ps3 version when it drops in price. Has there been any late port that has been successful? Didn't even the Bioshock ps3 port tank?

scarybore

It would be a complete dick move if the new DLC is exclusive to the PS3. Timed exclusive I could deal with to an extent, but otherwise I would be extremely pissed off.

Hixx

EatChildren said:
The actual post does not list it as exclusive though. It literally translates to "A new mission for about six hours of play time."

It says he/she doesn't know if its exclusive or not.

Hence my post starting with 'if'.

edit: apologies, I misunderstood your post.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
A 6 hour DLC?

I have both MEs on PC, but I'll get my brother to pick up the PS3 version, if that's exclusive.
Y2Kev said:
6 hrs of gameplay? Me2 about to get 50% longa
LOL_Panda.gif

Hydrargyrus said:
A comic???
Not even the videos????

Oh, came on...

How would you handle the videos though? Just lift all the videos without the context from the first game? Something specifically for this purpose sounds like a good compromise to me.

Acidote

Deathcraze said:
It would be a complete dick move if the new DLC is exclusive to the PS3. Timed exclusive I could deal with to an extent, but otherwise I would be extremely pissed off.

I feel just like you. Timed exclusive is something I could be OK with, otherwise I would be pissed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Maybe in the 6 hour DLC they can include the rest of the costume packs and allow you to turn off the stupid looking glasses on your teammates in the one they have already released.

gdt

My ME2 playthrough is 56hrs (all DLC included) but I want MORE. I hope this isn't exclusive, but I'd still probably get this if so.

EatChildren

BioWare's compression of video says you do not want a video introduction.

Foxix Von

EatChildren said:
20 - 40 hours, including all DLC, depending on how much of the game you do.

I have no clue how people beat it that fast. I didn't download anything and it took me 60 hours :lol

Also, thanks to this news, I think I'm pretty much done buying games at launch.

Emitan

gdt5016 said:
My ME2 playthrough is 56hrs (all DLC included) but I want MORE. I hope this isn't exclusive, but I'd still probably get this if so.
56 hours? Wow, I really need to replay that game because I beat it before almost any of the DLC was out.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Revolutionary said:
Then you're better off searching elsewhere: ME2 is barely an RPG.

Anyway, its pretty cool that they're offering a way to make the decisions from the first game. I'd rather have the first game as a pack-in, though (in case you somehow can't tell, I'm one of those ME1 >>>>>>> ME2 guys).

Actually that's good for me, because I don't like the slower turn styled RPGs. This one seems like it has more action in it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Most important thing for me:

OK, is all this good stuff on the disc, or do you get vouchers?

LiK

Comic retelling? Meh

Lookin forward to the rest.

I doubt the DLC from 360 would be vouchers here.

EatChildren

Foxix said:
I have no clue how people beat it that fast. I didn't download anything and it took me 60 hours :lol

Skip a lot of the dialogue, dont do any loyalty missions, avoid all side quests, dont read or listen to anything in the Codex. That will knock back your game time.

But most people should hit 30+ hours.

mckmas8808 said:
Actually that's good for me, because I don't like the slower turn styled RPGs. This one seems like it has more action in it.

Its got some basic stat building and classes for your character, some very minor loot, and tons and tons of interactive dialogue. The rest is pure, glorious space violence.

Hixx

Foxix said:

Also, thanks to this news, I think I'm pretty much done buying games at launch.

I did pretty much everything in my first playthrough pre-DLC and it took 20 hours or so. Second time round, with all the DLC so far, about 24 hours.

I have absolutely no idea how you could spend 60 hours in a ME2 playthough unless you scanned absolutely every inch of every planet.

EatChildren said:
BioWare's compression of video says you do not want a video introduction.

Comression is due to DVD9 limitation. Let's hope that this late port will be properly done according to all the PS3 has to offer (I'm looking at you, bluray space disk)

gdt

Billychu said:
56 hours? Wow, I really need to replay that game because I beat it before almost any of the DLC was out.

To be fair, I did ALOT of scanning :lol . I imagine 3-4 hours of that 56 is just scanning.

Top Bottom