• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Once the 5R is announced, you should be able to find a new 5n for around $450.

Looking to get a 5N this week. I'd be eststic if that's the case. Apparently there's already a $100 price drop on Amazon where its sitting at $580 for the kit new.

dmshaposv

Man that Sony RX-100 is kicking all sorts of ass lately. Getting rave reviews from everyone.

Goes to show that Sony is very much in the game and can produce something awesome when they really put themselves into it.

I'm really confused now between a brand new Sony RX-100 or a second-hand Fuji X100 for my sister. She clearly wants that DSLR quality shallow D.O.F - which the x100 would be better for due to the APS-C sensor, but then the Rx-100 is such a slicker, smaller and easier product for her to manage.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Man that Sony RX-100 is kicking all sorts of ass lately. Getting rave reviews from everyone.

Goes to show that Sony is very much in the game and can produce something awesome when they really put themselves into it.

I'm really confused now between a brand new Sony RX-100 or a second-hand Fuji X100 for my sister. She clearly wants that DSLR quality shallow D.O.F - which the x100 would be better for due to the APS-C sensor, but then the Rx-100 is such a slicker, smaller and easier product for her to manage.

As great as the X100 is it may be a bit limiting for her considering it only has a 35mm equivalent lens at f/2. It does have a larger sensor though, as you said but the RX-100 would be able to zoom to a focal length where she should able to create some sense of separation in regards to Depth of Field.

Maybe consider an NEX 5N (with the Kit) and the Sony 50mm f/1.8 E-Mount lens? The kit and lens together will probably come out to the same amount as the X100 new considering the NEX 5N is only around $600 now and the Sony lens is $300 (and is fantastic from what I've read and seen). No built in viewfinder though (an EVF add-on can be bought though for $270). Another setup, if a viewfinder is important, is the NEX5N kit and the EVF.

dmshaposv

As great as the X100 is it may be a bit limiting for her considering it only has a 35mm equivalent lens at f/2. It does have a larger sensor though, as you said but the RX-100 would be able to zoom to a focal length where she should able to create some sense of separation in regards to Depth of Field.

Maybe consider an NEX 5N (with the Kit) and the Sony 50mm f/1.8 E-Mount lens? The kit and lens together will probably come out to the same amount as the X100 new considering the NEX 5N is only around $600 now and the Sony lens is $300 (and is fantastic from what I've read and seen). No built in viewfinder though (an EVF add-on can be bought though for $270). Another setup, if a viewfinder is important, is the NEX5N kit and the EVF.

We tried a bunch of cameras. The Fuji X10, x100 and Nex5n. Unfortunately, RX-100 was not available for testing.

She has been messing around with my Canon 600d + Sigma 30mm F 1.4, and instantly fell in love with it. Been constantly taking pictures and she took the intiative to move away from just shooting "auto" to trying out aperture priority and other modes where she has more creative freedom. She no longer depends on the LCD but the optical viewfinder to take her pictures and grown to dislike pop-up flashes.

So as a gift, I want to get her a camera that is ideally a fixed lens camera (she easily gets intimated by the "complexity" of managing lenses) and loves her some shallow D.O.F (she is a chef and is really getting into food photography - particularly her own!) and generally shoot indoors most of the time (she needs fast glass, and knows little about using a camera flash properly).

So based on that criteria, I wanted to go with the x10 - but she didn't like the optical "tunnel" viewfinder. She prefers the through the lens viewfinder of my DSLR with the settings she is shooting at displayed in the eye peice. The x100 has that, and has an evf which at least will be easier for her to use than the optical viewfinder.

We also tried the nex5n. She didn't like Sony's menu and lack of mode dial and viewfinder. The one thing she really liked about my DSLR was the physical buttons - so I felt the x100's having more physical dials/buttons would work out better for her.

I still am not 100% sure about the x100 - I feel it may be too complex for her. On the other hand, she isn't a DSLR user, so she may just get over the learning curve and prefer the mirrorless better. This is why I've been thinking about the RX-100. It may just be her thing.

We tried a bunch of cameras. The Fuji X10, x100 and Nex5n. Unfortunately, RX-100 was not available for testing.

She has been messing around with my Canon 600d + Sigma 30mm F 1.4, and instantly fell in love with it. Been constantly taking pictures and she took the intiative to move away from just shooting "auto" to trying out aperture priority and other modes where she has more creative freedom. She no longer depends on the LCD but the optical viewfinder to take her pictures and grown to dislike pop-up flashes.

So as a gift, I want to get her a camera that is ideally a fixed lens camera (she easily gets intimated by the "complexity" of managing lenses) and loves her some shallow D.O.F (she is a chef and is really getting into food photography - particularly her own!) and generally shoot indoors most of the time (she needs fast glass, and knows little about using a camera flash properly).

So based on that criteria, I wanted to go with the x10 - but she didn't like the optical "tunnel" viewfinder. She prefers the through the lens viewfinder of my DSLR with the settings she is shooting at displayed in the eye peice. The x100 has that, and has an evf which at least will be easier for her to use than the optical viewfinder.

We also tried the nex5n. She didn't like Sony's menu and lack of mode dial and viewfinder. The one thing she really liked about my DSLR was the physical buttons - so I felt the x100's having more physical dials/buttons would work out better for her.

I still am not 100% sure about the x100 - I feel it may be too complex. On the other hand, she isn't a DSLR user, so she may just get over the learning curve and prefer the mirrorless better. This is why I've been thinking about the RX-100. It may just be her thing.

NEX-5R is suppose to be adding another physical button. No viewfinder though.

Looking to get a 5N this week. I'd be eststic if that's the case. Apparently there's already a $100 price drop on Amazon where its sitting at $580 for the kit new.

Correct. Even my local wolf camera has price dropped it.

The new sensor on the 5R is slanting me to believe it's going to be worth the extra cash.

alterno69

Banned
Any chance for the 5d Mark II droping in price any time soon? I'm about to pull the plug but i'd hate for it to drop on price a month or so after i bought it.

alterno69

Banned
ANd how would i do that? I'm in Mexico but i can order it and have it shipped to a friend in the states.

Edit: nevermind, got it. Aparently you only get a 10% disscount on the 5D which would be about what it goes for on Amazon, i guess i should just order it through amazon and avoid the hassle :D

ANd how would i do that? I'm in Mexico but i can order it and have it shipped to a friend in the states.

Edit: nevermind, got it. Aparently you only get a 10% disscount on the 5D which would be about what it goes for on Amazon, i guess i should just order it through amazon and avoid the hassle :D

Or wait for Photokina, there are rumours of a new full frame Canon DSLR (I couldn't wait, bought a 5D2 a few weeks ago).

tino

Banned

Did you read the link? When I called Canon Loyalty hotline a few days ago, it was 1580 something. A lot cheaper than your Amazon price. Free shipping + tax.

Just so you know from here on in you won't get major price drop for the 5D2. If you get a deal, its going to be a random deal that goes up for a few hours. The lowest you could get for a 5D1 was around 1300-1400 for a refub but 5D2 is a much more popular model than 5D1 was

If the 5R autofocsues better, then it's worth buying as a first time compact interchangeable lens camera versus a discounted 5N.

On the other hand, you can get the body only for 465 w/ an Amex card. Check SD.

alterno69

Banned
Did you read the link? When I called Canon Loyalty hotline a few days ago, it was 1580 something. A lot cheaper than your Amazon price. Free shipping + tax.

Just so you know from here on in you won't get major price drop for the 5D2. If you get a deal, its going to be a random deal that goes up for a few hours. The lowest you could get for a 5D1 was around 1300-1400 for a refub but 5D2 is a much more popular model than 5D1 was

You're right. I did read the while post linked, just to be clear, the only way to find out the price and stuff is calling right? What if i call from Mexico? Can i do that? I guess i can get a cheap camera on ebay to trade it in.

tino

Banned
You're right. I did read the while post linked, just to be clear, the only way to find out the price and stuff is calling right? What if i call from Mexico? Can i do that? I guess i can get a cheap camera on ebay to trade it in.

Ask mclaren777, I thought you don't have to trade in anything? Just credit card and US address. They won't tell where you are calling from.

Wait its a 800 number, you can't call from outside the US. Ask your friend to call and buy it for you.

giga

You have to trade in an out of warranty canon camera. You need the serial.

Prices are posted on potn. Or you can just take 20% off yourself from the refurbished site. The 5d2 only gets 10% off.

giga

Also, regarding the 5d2 price, I'd still wait a few months for Nikon and Canon to unveil their entry level FF bodies. Could lead to lower prices.

My Think Tank Retrospective 7 arrived, first impression is very good, there's room for a lot of stuff.

BILOO.jpg

o6Kt9.jpg

90St9.jpg

W7ix1.jpg

They are talking about the 5R.

Edit: Looks like 750 with lens. I don't know whether to hold out for the 6 now with the included EVF or get the 5R. 5R looks pretty amazing.

The 5R looks amazing, but I'm pissed Engadget didn't even demo the AF speed in their hands-on video. Perhaps Sony doesn't want that them showcasing anything aside from the app functionality right now. I'm a little bummed they're saving all of the lens unveils for Photokina; there's definitely a lot of new products for them to show then.

alterno69

Banned
Sooo, taking advantage of the canon loyalty program a 5D Mark II + 24-105 f4 L would set me back $2,400 :O , i will deal with the logistics somehow cause this has to be mine.

kr2t0s

So it's more hipster bag than man-purse?

what in the world is a hipster bag?

Possible to post a pic of you wearing it? no homo and all that - just want to see how big it is. I really want to buy the black version.

Is it more of a camera bag that fits an ipad or is it more like a normal bag that fits a camera? If that makes any sense

Radec

5R looks good.

Btw, some info regarding the hybrid af:

"Fast Hybrid AF requires a compatible lens, and firmware updates will expand support to existing models, says Sony. If not supported, the NEX-5R uses contrast detection alone.

"At launch, only the SEL1855, SEL55210, SEL18200LE, and SEL24F18Z models will be compatible with the faster autofocus system; support should be expanded over time through firmware updates, but it isn't yet clear if this will eventually encompass all Sony's E-mount lens models or not."

what in the world is a hipster bag?

Possible to post a pic of you wearing it? no homo and all that - just want to see how big it is. I really want to buy the black version.

Is it more of a camera bag that fits an ipad or is it more like a normal bag that fits a camera? If that makes any sense

It's a camera bag that doesn't look like one. But it definitively is one, it's robust and not as soft as it looks like.

I will try to make a picture wearing it.

Edit: Well, I tried:

Q0YZs.jpg

Satchel talk is annoying let's talk about new NEX.

So how much faster is this new hybrid AF in comparison to the older one? I haven't really found a quantifiable number yet. Will we have to wait for reviews?

mclaren777

The difference is amazing! o_O

Edit: although, it must be said, the battery charge is dropping at an alarming rate – I spent 30 minutes playing with menus and I took eight pictures, yet the battery is already down to 88% from a full charge.

ibeFE9wXi4es2l.jpg

Best way to clean viewfinder? My brother has a Canon T1i. Took the camera outside last week and some dust got in. Tried using an air blower thingy to blow it out, made it worse. I don't think it's on the mirror since it's not showing up in pictures. Is it best to buy something and do it myself or go to the camera shop to get it cleaned?

Best way to clean viewfinder? My brother has a Canon T1i. Took the camera outside last week and some dust got in. Tried using an air blower thingy to blow it out, made it worse. I don't think it's on the mirror since it's not showing up in pictures. Is it best to buy something and do it myself or go to the camera shop to get it cleaned?

Check the mirror. It won't show up in pictures if it's on the mirror, only if it's on the sensor.

Radec

It's not really that easy to scratch though. I usually brush(soft brush) it when some dust sticks to it. And I doubt light scratches will be that visible on the viewfinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom