• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
There's a hat in the cash shop that's not exactly a top hat, but close. I imagine you could dye it to match;

wWsYV.jpg

You could also use a transmutation stone to get the required stats you wanted on it too (unless this hat is clothing and not armor, which it probably is).

Jira

I'm gonna be putting magic find runes on the pirate set from the cash shop and the 6 piece bonus for that rune gives you a parrot pet that follows you. Unless I can find a pirate set through other means.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm gonna be putting magic find runes on the pirate set from the cash shop and the 6 piece bonus for that rune gives you a parrot pet that follows you. Unless I can find a pirate set through other means.

6 piece bonus? How do bonuses from runes based on sets work? If you unlock the parrot pet, is it unlocked for good? Or do you have to be wearing the pirate set?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh shit, dudes! Kintaro's got us all figured out! Put away your hype, I guess. Apparently GW2 is just another WoW clone and TERA is the true revolution. :(

This was my response:

how're we running through the same dungeon? It's not. Content is scaled and there is the piggyback system. Sure you have lvl 1-60 areas for your own race but that is for EACH race. Once you finish your own race area, you can experience entirely NEW content for other races. This is hardly going to get old. In WoW and other MMOs, you can go back and do the lower quest stuff but it's boring because you're so high level and the quests feel irrelevent. Not in GW2.

Also, that was a highly ignorant response. if he had seen GW2 then he would've known that's not how it works.

Also, this Gamesradar article is EXCELLENT!

http://www.gamesradar.com/guild-wars-2-what-makes-it-different-other-mmos/

2San

I really fail to see how the reticle changes anything in Tera. Sure it changes what you can target, but if you know the person has to stand still to attack what exactly is there to actively aim for?

I went into the beta a couple weeks back knowing absolutely nothing about the game besides it was meant to be an action oriented MMO, and I left out of the beta thinking it felt more static than WoW. I just didn't understand how your character had to stand still to even cast instant abilities. Maybe I just didn't get high enough to where you could actually move more in fights. I also only played a archer and mage whatever those classes were actually called.
There are plenty of skills you can use while moving. The combat is more in the feign of Monster Hunter/Demon souls. Where doing a skill locks you into an animation. It demands a more deliberate playstyle.

The reticle really does change everything. I demands constant attention on the field your positioning. It completely changes things for tanks and healers as well. You can literally line up 3 tanks in a choke point(thus keeping the DD's and healers save) have sorcs behind dealing damage, because they're main skills are cast a certain distance in front of them. With healers behind keeping the heals up(which can be hard since if you can directly target them you aren't healing them). The game demands a certain skill in aiming and guessing distances and timing(a lot of guessing where your opponent will go so you can trap them), planning attacks since certain attacks lock you into a certain place.

The game has flaws, but combat honestly isn't one of them.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Looks like Cantha would be a prime location for an expansion. I imagine Elona has undergone some interesting changes as well.

The story sets it up perfectly as well. Dragon's army had blocked sea routes -> defeat dragon -> travel to expansion continent.

There are plenty of skills you can use while moving. The combat is more in the feign of Monster Hunter/Demon souls. Where doing a skill locks you into an animation. It demands a more deliberate playstyle.

The reticle really does change everything. I demands constant attention on the field your positioning. It completely changes things for tanks and healers as well. You can literally line up 3 tanks in a choke point(thus keeping the DD's and healers save) have sorcs behind dealing damage, because they're main skills are cast a certain distance in front of them. With healers behind keeping the heals up(which can be hard since if you can directly target them you aren't healing them). The game demands a certain skill in aiming and guessing distances and timing(a lot of guessing where your opponent will go so you can trap them), planning attacks since certain attacks lock you into a certain place.

The game has flaws, but combat honestly isn't one of them.

I guess I just never saw the instant attacks. I took a archer and mage to around level 12-13ish and played some of the polearm type guy(really don't remember the class names) just to see if it was just a ranged issue and it seemed like even basic melee attacks completely stopped you to attack. I just didn't see any kind of mobility in the combat at all other than going behind something then attacking it, but again this has to do with the ability to avoid attacks and not the reticle. Unless you are considering the mobs theoretical reticle?

I just don't see how the reticle is the big difference. I see the difference in the fact that everything is avoidable. I get the aiming and timing part but again I see that effecting PvE a lot more than it would effect PvP.

Edit:Wasn't apparent in my post, but I meant that if there are abilities later on that you can use while moving my point is moot. But if you are locked in to an animation like you said this is the same exact thing as not being able to move while you attack.

Retro

Wow, their seventh item actually made me realize something amazing;

Content added in the future can be perfect for any level
This is sort of an extension of the last point, but it’s worth drawing attention to in and of itself: in a typical MMO, a majority of the community hits level cap within a few months, leading the developers to create content specifically for them. This leaves the early and mid-level areas empty, receiving very little new content with the MMO becomes bloated and back-heavy.

Since every area scales the players down to the optimal level, AreaNet can have its future content thrown into early/mid-level areas, giving both new and old players new content that’s just as fun and fulfilling for everyone. This means that the game – as a whole – will continue to be improved with future patches, instead of just the end-game being improved time and time again. It’s a remarkable idea, and if it works as well as it should it could totally become the norm for future MMOs.

Maybe I was just slow on the uptake, but did anyone else realize that this means that all future expansions can basically be stand-alone as they were in GW1? A new player could pick up the Elonia expansion, for example, and the content would run from 1-80. If you didn't buy GW1, you don't have access to that content, but it doesn't matter because the expansion is still a 'full game'. HOWEVER, anyone who did buy the original game can pick up the expansion and all of the content will still be new and exciting because they're de-leveled to match the content.

I hadn't really thought about it until now. All content is still legitimately fun if you haven't played it, regardless of level.

Maybe I was just slow on the uptake, but did anyone else realize that this means that all future expansions can basically be stand-alone as they were in GW1? A new player could pick up the Elonia expansion, for example, and the content would run from 1-80. If you didn't buy GW1, you don't have access to that content, but it doesn't matter because the expansion is still a 'full game'. HOWEVER, anyone who did buy the original game can pick up the expansion and all of the content will still be new and exciting because they're de-leveled to match the content.

I hadn't really thought about it until now. All content is still legitimately fun if you haven't played it, regardless of level.

Somehow this went completely over my head. Even when thinking about expansions I was wondering if they would up the level cap, but never really thought about them being able to add in new content or zones anywhere.

Kind of cool to think they could add an entire new zone at level 20 that would be new and capable to play for anyone(above 20) not just the people at the level cap.

if i remember right the hat was clothing not armor. :(

Speaking of this. Is it possible to use transmutation stones on town clothes and armor? Would you be able to use the top hat skin for armor?

Complistic

I'm pretty sure they said they weren't interested in doing stand alone campaigns again. Even though it could work. They said they didn't like focusing on completely recreating the starting areas.

I'm pretty sure they said they weren't interested in doing stand alone campaigns again. Even though it could work. They said they didn't like focusing on completely recreating the starting areas.

I don't think campaigns would really be needed anyways. With how they are doing the individual story it seems like they could just further that on or have a new one pick up somewhere along the way. You would get the best of both(content and individual story).

I actually think it would be pretty sweet if they knew how they were going to go with the individual story in the expansions and with content patches they could add to the current individual story and also lead into the next expansion.

Jira

Yeah, they could create an entire 1-80 experience for an expansion that simply adds to the overall content, never making anything obsolete.

I don't think they'll make new races because that just ends up segregating the playerbase where people think "Oh a new race is automatically better than old races (see WoW expansions). Instead we'll probably get 1 maybe 2 new professions, 1-2 new weapons per professions, probably a more fleshed out underwater weapon system among a lot of other stuff you'd come to expect. BUT, I don't expect ANet to stop with expanding their current systems, I expect them to keep making new systems and new takes on old things, they will keep innovating at every turn, they've only just started.

Jira

They said the campaign system from GW1 won't work for GW2 and it will be using a more standard expansion system like EoTN though that doesn't mean they can't create 1-80 content for an expansion considering the scaling.

Retro

Somehow this went completely over my head.

Right, that's how I felt too; we've known for a while that players will de-level to the zone they're in, and we've even seen footage of high-level devs in other racial starting areas... but I guess I hadn't really considered what it means for the future.

Even when thinking about expansions I was wondering if they would up the level cap, but never really thought about them being able to add in new content or zones anywhere.

Kind of cool to think they could add an entire new zone at level 20 that would be new and capable to play for anyone(above 20) not just the people at the level cap.

Right, when Cataclysm hit for WoW, people who had no interest in starting new alts (read: not me, I love alts) were pretty much left with 2 or 3 zones (which flew by, I think I did Hyjal in a night). All of that work Blizzard did revamping the zone was really for new players or alts. Nice to know in GW2 that content will always be worth doing regardless of level.

Speaking of this. Is it possible to use transmutation stones on town clothes and armor? Would you be able to use the top hat skin for armor

Dunno. I dunno that we'll be able to find out this weekend either, if the cash shop isn't part of the Beta. I really don't see why there would be a restriction, unless they just want to make sure nobody goes out into the game world with a hot-pink tophat and pimp-suit.

Really though, every time the concept of Armor dyes comes up in MMOs, that's the excuse everyone comes up with; "I don't want to see people in rainbow armor". Nevermind that A). For the first few levels of every expansion, at least in WoW, people were running around in mis-matched clown suits, and B). People who are obnoxious enough to dye their armor obnoxious colors are just making it easier for you to tell they're obnoxious, rather than finding out when you're already stuck in a dungeon with them.

Yeah, they have said they want to just follow a regular Expansion model, but this doesn't mean that all content has to be built for end game. You can have Elonia pick up at level 50 instead of 80 and the level 80 players won't feel like the content is useless for them (as was the case with Cataclysm).

I actually think it would be pretty sweet if they knew how they were going to go with the individual story in the expansions and with content patches they could add to the current individual story and also lead into the next expansion.

They've said that they already have the next two expansions planned out, so I can foresee them adding lots of Foreshadowing and transitional storyline elements to the mix. I can also see content being added that tacks on new chapters of the story, like an Epilogue. Since the big events in the game' story are supposed to happen in your Personal story rather than the world at large, they can really give each race a healthy dose of story specific to the individual. Humans can focus on rebuilding their city while Norn can roam the land boasting about how they helped slay the Dragon.

Instead we'll probably get 1 maybe 2 new professions, 1-2 new weapons per professions, probably a more fleshed out underwater weapon system among a lot of other stuff you'd come to expect. BUT, I don't expect ANet to stop with expanding their current systems, I expect them to keep making new systems and new takes on old things, they will keep innovating at every turn, they've only just started.

Yeah, the system they have developed for Weapons means that adding two or three new weapon types to the game gives every profession an entirely new way to play. Bring on the 1h Spears / 2h Halberds / Off-hand Javelins or Whips / Flails / Scourges.

birdchili

Somehow this went completely over my head. Even when thinking about expansions I was wondering if they would up the level cap, but never really thought about them being able to add in new content or zones anywhere.
i love this idea, but it's not going to work well for most good players. you're still going to have your level xx buffs and equipment, and they won't downkick you to the extent that it's actually harder to be overlevel than it was when you were at-level.

i like it, but it's not likely going to provide an interesting challenge for many people. better than doing nothing, but not better than at-level content.

Retro

just when I thought the asura couldn't get any uglier

That Charr is suffering from a serious case of Orc Shoulders (aka. Lou Garrosh's Disease). He needs to see a chiropractor as soon as possible.

i love this idea, but it's not going to work well for most good players. you're still going to have your level xx buffs and equipment, and they won't downkick you to the extent that it's actually harder to be overlevel than it was when you were at-level.

i like it, but it's not likely going to provide an interesting challenge for many people. better than doing nothing, but not better than at-level content.

Well, gear is built to de-level too, remember. From what we've read, max-level players returning to a low level area will still find things challenging and be only slightly better.

Dude wtf. Demon asura and charr?
You know, I think I've seen it in the videos and such, but now that you mention it I am questioning if I actually saw a "Hide Helmet" option.

Jira

Your level, your stats, and your gear all scale down to a minimum of one level above content and in some cases a couple levels above, we've yet to determine if there's a pattern or anything when it comes to how the game chooses the amount of scaling done.

birdchili

Well, gear is built to de-level too, remember. From what we've read, max-level players returning to a low level area will still find things challenging and be only slightly better.
it's going to be pretty hard to get right. for people wanting a challenge, it'll be easy enough to run slightly above-level stuff while levelling. they need a one-size-fits-all solution for de-levelling, and their best move is likely to make it pretty easy.

still a great idea, but assuming you want to have some fear of failure, i'm skeptical they can strike the balance.

so much about the dynamic difficulty (with additional pcs giving monsters buffs and such too) seem like incredibly difficult design problems.

i wish them luck, of course...

all beta participants shall be inquisitioned next week:)

inky

Don't worry guys, I swear on everything that is sacred that my Charr will never look that spiky, even if it costs me money to do so!

Retro

it's going to be pretty hard to get right. for people wanting a challenge, it'll be easy enough to run slightly above-level stuff while levelling. they need a one-size-fits-all solution for de-levelling, and their best move is likely to make it pretty easy.

They've obviously designed the game from the ground up with de-leveling in mind, so their statistic systems and such are likely built to make de-leveling make a lot of sense and keep the challenge in-tact.

all beta participants shall be inquisitioned next week:)

What makes you think they won't be gushing about it the entire weekend?

GAF Wars 2 Podcast Episode 3 YouTube Edition

Still processing, will be available when youtube feels like it.

Awesome, I managed to get at the top of the page again, I'll C&P the link when it's finished baking. Whoever gets post #550 could do the same for GAFers with Silver Accounts.

Ashodin

They've obviously designed the game from the ground up with de-leveling in mind, so their statistic systems and such are likely built to make de-leveling make a lot of sense and keep the challenge in-tact.

What makes you think they won't be gushing about it the entire weekend?

Awesome, I managed to get at the top of the page again, I'll C&P the link when it's finished baking. Whoever gets post #550 could do the same for GAFers with Silver Accounts.

Is this on mobile? Because 100 posts per page Gold GAF hasn't switched over yet.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think it won't be done processing for 80 minutes. That's what we get for making an hour and a half long podcast. You also might want to check the tags I put on that video.

I'm also working on a separate video, something funny since I didn't really make anything special in the podcast. I was pretty lazy this time.

Retro

Is this on mobile? Because 100 posts per page Gold GAF hasn't switched over yet.

I haven't tried mobile yet. I would imagine the mobile site will limit people to 50 posts per page though since phones aren't as powerful as computers, obviously.

I'm also working on a separate video, something funny since I didn't really make anything special in the podcast. I was pretty lazy this time.

Please be a remix of the Yogscast "AWWWWWW" mix from the last podcast, with Kayos' "NOVEMBER" comments mixed in.

Ashodin

I haven't tried mobile yet. I would imagine the mobile site will limit people to 50 posts per page though since phones aren't as powerful as computers, obviously.

MOBILEEEEEEEEEEEEEE works on the Wii. Just sayin'.

Also, Thursday Cometh, gents.

Please be a remix of the Yogscast "AWWWWWW" mix from the last podcast, with Kayos' "NOVEMBER" comments mixed in.

Needs to be November Dubstep. Or an awesome parody of 2 Unlimiteds' No Limit.

No, no, no no no, no no no, no no it's november!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom