• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Metfanant

Will the US digital pre-order include the limited edition car pack? The PCars website is pretty poor at spelling out how it works...

EBreda

It's 119 at the Brazilian store, so roughly 40 murica bucks.
Not bad at all.
Edit: Xbox One. Also it is the "complete" version, with some added cars.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
a pair of gifs with the caterham classic @ bathurst in heavy cloud

classicgif.gif

funwithcaterham.avi.gif

Stubo

hi
New version of Driver eye at the Spa Francorchamps circuit with Oreca in heavy rain
conditions.

greeting
Incredible video, release day needs to hurry up!

http://gifyu.com/images/classicgif.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://gifyu.com/images/funwithcaterham.avi.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Super low on fuel? Haha, awesome stuff.

Mascot

Very nice, but one question: why don't you let us map the audio from any view on to any other view, eg. chase cam audio mapped to cockpit view?

I didn't say my question was about the gifs... :p

le-seb

Link here to the XB1 page

McLaren F1
Sauber C9
BMW M1 ProCar
Mercedes-AMG C-Class Coupe DTM
1967 Ford Mk IV
This is what you're supposed to find in the Limited Edition:
Presented in a beautiful steel case along with four striking sleeve designs and a behind-the-scenes book entitled "Project CARS: By Racers 4 Racers”, the Limited Edition also comes complete with five legendary cars drivable in any game mode and showcased with special one-make series within your career...
The five cars certainly aren't worth £+10 alone.

le-seb

Fair point, I'm going full digital now, too.
I just wanted to point out the fact that the Limited Edition car pack wasn't 'all the Limited Edition content'.

Lego Boss

I did think that myself IMO, but when it's included in the digital pre-order I can't really complain. £49.99 for the digital LE or £59.99 for the physical LE is a no-brainer for someone who is too lazy to swap discs all of the time ;)

Cheers. I still think that 60 nicker is pretty pricey for LE content (case or not).

Doesn't the Amazon pre-order come with additional content due to delays in release date?

Yes:

Ariel Atom 3 Mugen: Created in celebration of the ten-year anniversary of the initial groundbreaking track-racer, the Ariel Atom 3 Mugen is instantly recognisable with its exposed red chassis and white bodywork, whilst underneath the hood a tuned Honda Type R engine gets it from 0-60 in just 2.9 seconds. As trackday cars experiences go, the Atom 3 Mugen takes it to another level.

RUF CTR3 SMS-R: Further blurring the lines between reality and gaming, the RUF CTR3 SMS-R is a race spec version created by the talented engineers at veteran developers Slightly Mad Studios of the already-impressive RUF CTR3 super sports car. With a stripped interior, bespoke bodywork, and highly-tuned engine, the RUF CTR3 SMS-R produces over 750 horsepower and a staggering 330 km/h top speed, making it a truly unique combination of technical excellence and aesthetic passion.

Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadstar: With only five chassis ever built, the Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster is an open-top hypercar with a monstrous top speed, racecar levels of downforce, and extravagant beauty to match its multi-million dollar price tag. Featuring a carbon fiber body and 678bhp V12 engine, the Cinque Roadster is the perfect companion for a relaxed drive along the Azure Coast or hunting for a lap record at the track.

le-seb

I dunno that M1 Pro Car is fantastic, as is the Sauber!
Sure, they are good cars, but how much they will be sold individually as DLC is the only thing that will tell whether the five cars are worth the £10.

A fiver more expensive than the PS4 version?

It's £44.99 for the Pre-Order Edition on PSN.
Is it?
I see €69.99 for the standard edition, here.
GG Bamco, I will wait for a PSN sale, then.

Azzawon

Doesn't the Amazon pre-order come with additional content due to delays in release date?

Yeah, the preorder bonus content comes with the game no matter where you get it from by the looks of it.

A fiver more expensive than the PS4 version?

It's £44.99 for the Pre-Order Edition on PSN.

Wut? I'm presuming that's the same amount of content (LE included) as the XB1 version too?

Lego Boss

Fuck me, I hate all this pre-order and LE exclusive DLC content.

Yeah, it's mess-up. It's like IAP for AAA. This is for a game that is already in the wild too!

Crazy stuff, I'm just glad that I don't buy BLOPS etc, I think my brain would implode if availed to the content available there . . .

Azzawon

I can't understand how publishers think people view this kind of BS as good, surely it's anti-consumer.

Yeah, could be worse, shame that publishers feel they have to act like this though.

A lot of it is, yeah. I remember reading a very truthful (like it or not) comment from someone at Codies in their forums. Edit: It was in the GRID Autosport OT on here!

They effectively said "we're sorry, but it sells". - Link to post

I do hope pCARS has reasonably priced DLC. Obviously it's all discussed on the WMD forums to find a good price point, but licences cost money and I can't imagine people will always get the price point they would prefer.

danowat

Banned
They effectively said "we're sorry, but it sells".

And there-in lies the rub, I guess it always pays to remember that they are doing this for the monies, not just the love.

Still, exclusive pre-order and LE DLC makes me sick in my mouth..........

MrGlugi

Neo Member
Guys how is this game compared to LFS or iRacing? I'm asking about physics, because graphics are awesome as I can see. I'm on the fence with pre-ordering this game (PC version). Are there any extras that make pre-order reasonable?

Azzawon

Guys how is this game compared to LFS or iRacing? I'm asking about physics, because graphics are awesome as I can see. I'm on the fence with pre-ordering this game (PC version). Are there any extras that make pre-order reasonable?

IMO the game is very accessible and it's very easy to get a good feel for the cars you drive. It has all the assists you would expect too, but in general it's easy to find your groove, especially compared to iRacing in some cars. I don't have much experience in LFS so I can't really comment on that.

Mascot

Yeah, the preorder bonus content comes with the game no matter where you get it from by the looks of it.

Nope. Maybe. Amazon and Zavvi only, according to this.

But that might just be SMS's 'preferred' (or promoted) sellers. Who the fuck knows?

Some clarity would be welcome. My preorder is with Amazon at £40 to secure the bonuses, but I can get the game for £6 less elsewhere. If the three preorder bonus cars are awarded no matter where you order from, then I'll change my order.

It's a bit of a confusing clusterfuck to be honest. Preorder bonuses are a shitty concept all round IMO, because they aren't really awarding anything to those who preorder, they are actually removing content from those who don't.

danowat

Banned
Guys how is this game compared to LFS or iRacing?

I'd be interested to here about those comparisons, I put nearly 50000 miles into LFS, and was one of the original iR beta testers.

If it's anywhere near as good as those two, I'll be a happy man.

Azzawon

Nope. Maybe. Amazon and Zavvi only, according to this.

Oh right, okay! I stand corrected. It's frustrating when things like this happen. I'm sure GAME will include the Modified Car Pack too seeing as though they're distributing the physical LE. Edit: Nope, just checked and there's no mention of it in the standard edition.

I would have thought the first batch of the game would be shipped out to retailers with the preorder DLC included in every copy but I'm no expert, ha!

Mascot

Oh right, okay! I stand corrected. It's frustrating when things like this happen. I'm sure GAME will include the Modified Car Pack too seeing as though they're distributing the physical LE. I would have thought the first batch of the game would be shipped out to retailers with the preorder DLC included in every copy but I'm no expert, ha!

Preorder bonuses are bad enough, but retailer-specific preorder bonuses are the faeces of Satan.

LFS and iRacing are nothing alike, and pCARS is nothing like them. /Confucius

Kazdane

There is no denying, Project CARS is still an unfinished title.

Hmm. Seems like the game has serious issues with the AI and fast open wheeled cars. :/

I haven't seen the whole video, but I didn't see anything strange in the open wheeled fragments I watched. What are the serious issues you're talking about? (for what it's worth, there's nothing wrong in the current build regarding AI as far as I can see).

Issues with the AI smashing in to everything, cars unable to exit the pits correctly and some very much 'Steam early access' type problems.
This is definitely not happening in the latest build. The AI does collide among themselves when they're fighting for position, but it's not really common, and it's less likely the higher the difficulty (although it can still happen, especially at the back of the pack).

danowat

Banned
I haven't seen the whole video, but I didn't see anything strange in the open wheeled fragments I watched. What are the serious issues you're talking about? (for what it's worth, there's nothing wrong in the current build regarding AI as far as I can see).

The Lotus 49 race he shows appears to highlight it.

I'll hold my judgement until I get my hands on it, but it's not the first time I've been concerned about the quality of the AI in this title.

Makki

Cue in the PCARS defense force about day 1 update and almost quite not definite final code. I will only judge the game on release, but I feel like I cant trust the hype and praise due to the conflict of interest from the people who want this to succeed no matter what due to their donations and the constant denial of any issue as nothing more than not the final golden code.

Spookie

Ugh, another 'the game has more grip than other sims so it isn't one' comment.

iRacing setting the gold standard in ice skating simulators!

This is definitely not happening in the latest build. The AI does collide among themselves when they're fighting for position, but it's not really common, and it's less likely the higher the difficulty (although it can still happen, especially at the back of the pack).

This is 2 weeks from release and apparently the latest 'day one' build. Are you telling us porkies? :/

Azzawon

Ugh, another 'the game has more grip than other sims so it isn't one' comment.

I'm just watching the video now and while I agree that some of his gripes are justifiable, where the hell did he pluck the 7.5 number from when trying to rate it?! (See 6:40)

Lego Boss

There is no denying, Project CARS is still an unfinished title.

Hmm. Seems like the game has serious issues with the AI and fast open wheeled cars. :/

'The cars are almost too responsive'

The problem is, it's almost too good . . .

I'm not sure about this guy. He slates the AI for 'smashing into the barriers' when there are 20 cars on track at the start and the AI is making genuine mistakes.

I'm not sure VVV have too much to worry about . . . .

This is LAWLfest. 'I took the Le Mans series to . . . . .LE MANS'

He won't score it higher than a 7.5, which is his opinion.

He's not a fan, it's fair to say, but I think it's a bit too much to say that 'it's a mess', just because rain was scripted and didn't turn up. I don't know what you lot think, but it's not a great critique, however, if EVERYTHING he says is true, it's going to be interesting.

Top Bottom