• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Switch details: 60fps, 13x bigger worlds than WiiU, WiiU world transfers

baconcow

I popped into my PC world and took some screens comparing 5, 7, 10, 12, and 16 chunk render distance. At least in the old version I was using 16 is where it maxed out, though I'm sure when playing VR modded version I've at least had it in the 20s before.

Thanks for the screens showing the comparisons. I think you're missing the label for 12 chunks? On 10 chunks and below (and even 12, to a lesser degree), you cannot even see the island which is only a short distance away. When exploring, not being able to see things until you are on the same major landmass is a bit of a buzzkill.

Painguy

Then why isn't Wii U twice as big as PS3 360?

He's wrong. Its a OS security issue and just a save file size limitation by the OS. Moblie has unlimited world size so its not a hardware thing. If you go out too far in the world its easier to encounter floating point errors which can be used as security exploits. Nintendo are just stricter in that regard.

Also 12 is good enough, but 7 is kinda bad...

So the more I experiment with Pocket Edition, the more the Switch limits seem pretty lame. On my phone, the max chunk limit is 8. The phone handles it at 720p decently, though definitely not steady 60fps. The max chunk distance does scale with the device, because on my tablet it allows it to go up to 14. And even at that max, displaying at 1920x1200 it isn't bad, though even farther from 60fps. And these are not high class models of phone and tablet; Switch specs eat either of them for breakfast.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd take 30fps if it got me more chunks. It could be a ram issue but the docked vs undocked suggests it's more a GPU limitation

Are the chunk sizes the same across pocket/console/pc?

Yeah, a chunk is always 16x16x256 block piece of the world. So if undocked the render distance is 7 chunks, we'll essentially see what's supposed to be 112 meters of the world in front of us before the fog.

Rodin

I'd take 30fps if it got me more chunks. It could be a ram issue but the docked vs undocked suggests it's more a GPU limitation

Are the chunk sizes the same across pocket/console/pc?

How can it be a GPU limitation when PS360 and Wii U have 10?

It's more likely that they cut the draw distance compared to docked mode because it brought immediate gains without having to optimize. Maybe they feel it's not that big of a deal on the small screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How can it be a GPU limitation when PS360 and Wii U have 10?

It's more likely that they cut the draw distance compared to docked mode because it brought immediate gains without having to optimize. Maybe they feel it's not that big of a deal on the small screen.

Because the primary (only?) difference between docked and undocked is the GPU performance I think?

Render distance is immediately obvious - on lower end laptops like my kids I'll reduce almost everything else before I'll drop render distance too much

Arkam

I am pretty tempted to triple dip and pick this up for the Switch. Since the device is the bees knees for travel it makes a strong case. I have PE on my phone but the touch screen inputs are the bane of my existence.

Kyle8497

For those of you who have never played Minecraft before and look to try it out on the Switch:

Ignore the bad wrap the game gets.
Ignore the hate it gets because of stereotypical fans.
Just play it and formulate your own opinion of the game.

Enjoy.

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend using the internet to figure things out. The game is much more fun with exploration and experimentation.

FyreWulff

wtf wasn't that years ago? lol

An easier way to think of it is Minecraft console is a completely separate codebase invented by 4J that was made to run Minecraft's assets. They even have codenames for the separate branches but i forget them off the top of my head.

Either way the crossplay would probably require unification of 4J's C++ engine with the Java engine of mainline. Also I do believe an actual large, LARGE swath of Minecraft console is played offline, splitscreen, so most it's users wouldn't have an use for Realms.

molnizzle

Also I do believe an actual large, LARGE swath of Minecraft console is played offline, splitscreen, so most it's users wouldn't have an use for Realms.

I think that's largely because that's all console players can do without proper server support. P2P online doesn't work that well for a game like Minecraft. I honestly don't even care if it's crossplay—I just want to have persistent worlds that my friends and I can fuck around in without having to coordinate and make sure we're all online at the same time. For a while I was using Realms in the W10 version but hardly anyone plays that version (in my age bracket, at least).

Would unification with Java be necessary? I thought that version didn't even use Realms.

Audette

Funny how many people are announcing their intentions of buying this, the Switch Game thirst is real.

Even I may rebuy this even after not really enjoying the PS4 version. But I'm definitely waiting for the physical release.

WhyKlef

Neo Member
I can't wrap my head around the fact that the pocket edition runs 1080p/60fps on my Shield Tablet, 14 chunks render distance and has infinite worlds... Ok, for the world size actually I can understand but for anything else, I'm not ok with. Heck, there are online worlds for the pocket edition that are pretty OP with mini-games and scripts and bla bla bla... A part of me feels like the developers rushed this title to take advantage of the Switch game thirst.

I have decided I'll wait for actual patches to improve this title and then maybe I'll reconsider.

Just thinking that my Shield Portable (yes, the bulky spaceship one, not the tablet) runs MCPE in 720p/60fps just fine at about 10 chunks... Something just doesn't add up.

Arkam

Has there been any word on the game file size? MC is a game I would want to have on my switch all the time and not need carry the cart around.

Has there been any word on the game file size? MC is a game I would want to have on my switch all the time and not need carry the cart around.
Looking around a bit, it seems PS4, Wii U, and Xbone versions are respectively about 200, 500, 700 megabytes? I thought all console versions would be pretty much the same so not sure why the variance, but well under a gig anyway.

Arkam

Looking around a bit, it seems PS4, Wii U, and Xbone versions are respectively about 200, 500, 700 megabytes? I thought all console versions would be pretty much the same so not sure why the variance, but well under a gig anyway.

Yea thats all I could find too. I hope it is about the same. Thanks for trying to help out!

Top Bottom