• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
DBZ movies all summer would be a nostalgia trip for me. I haven't seen any of them in several years (outside of Cooler). Other than nostalgia, that would be a lot of potentially wasted movie nights. There are only a handful of truly good DBZ films and the rest are pure schlock.

I just came in to throw my vote behind "dont lose your may" that is all.

I agree with this title change.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Update on the backloggery:

Monday: Luigi's Mansion is seemingly going to fall this week or next. Going to start Dream Team after it but I hear its an improbably long game.
Tuesday: I'm near the end of Soul Hackers, could be this week, could be two weeks+. I know about how the NG+ on this works having been spoiled on it sometime in the late 90's.
Wednesday: Tales of the Abyss: While I'm pretty sure I'm near the end that shit means nothing in a Tales game and could mean another twenty hours.
Thursday: My old 3DS is cursed, whatever game is currently in there seems to never get played as much. I'm still on chapter 2 of Layton 5. No solid time frame for this one, Thursday's have been busy.
Friday-Sunday: Did not play much Pokémon Y this week at all. Might have a few free hours after Inuyasha to catch up.

Next Friday is the promised day though. MK8 and relatives who adore MK going to be in town. Might send the backlog challenge prematurely into Wii U mode. I can smell the fiesta on the wind as well.

When the Fiesta starts I'm going to devote two weeks to clearing the game 2-4 times, playing MK8 as a break and possibly trying to clear any 3DS stragglers on the list that I didn't finish off from this current crop. Then I'm going to go into a mode where I play FF V when not home and Wii U games at night before bed. I've set the rotation for that as follows.

Monday: Pikmin 3
Tuesday: Zombi U, Batman Armored Edition
Wednesday: Wonderful 101
Thursday: Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Friday: Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Sat/Sunday: NES REMIX, NES REMIX 2, CHILD OF LIGHT, Toki Tori 2, Swords and Soldiers HD, the rest of the eshop titles

Plus I'll find time to MK8 and MH3U in there somewhere. Then the next threat to the schedule is SSB4 on the 3DS, which I presume will end all scheduling for a long time. Omega Ruby and SSB4 Wii U especially will also take priority...so would X come to think of it.

2015 looks to be the year I finally conquer my Wii/Wii U Virtual Console backlog...which is frighteningly large. The vast majority of my non hand held purchases between 2006-2012 were VC games and I've cleared far less than half of them.

Takashi

Just caught up on the thread
s
Late, but props on the sketch dump sab! Really liked Baby Goku. And Roberta HNNNGG

Attack on Titan
Colossal Titan isn't a fan of happy anime so naturally he intervenes. Also, first thing I thought of when he showed up was "tuturu, mayushii desu" lol.

Cooler's Revenge
DBZ shows how it set the standard for padding with its first 40 mins. The fight itself was not very exciting. Goku goes super, Cooler launches a big energy blast, Goku sends its back. That's about it. Even then, the whole thing was still okay, but the bird moment was just ridiculous lol. I would still take those levels of padding any day over...

Shippuden
Fuck this show. "Hey Shippuden fans. We've listened to your complaints on how almost nothing has happened to warrant over a dozen episodes. So we're going to give you a major fight! As a special bonus, we're also gonna throw in some cutaways to your favorite shounen protagonist, screaming his lungs out to protect his friends! But it get's better. We know you guys love Rock Lee and his team, so multiply that TIMES TWO! And to top of this special treat, Old Man Sand Village will tell you some much need backstory. WITH FLASHBACKS!"

Blue Exorcist
Camping hijinks ensue. I really do enjoy this show and most of its characters. Even after Shura was introduced, I was surprised at how it didn't just entirely start focusing on her
and her boobs
. The little bit of detail that goes into the plan was also something I wasn't expecting. Thought it was going to be all gung ho stubborn shounen logic.

Black Lagoon
I love how the action scenes can get very over the top at times (lol lightning), but it's done very well and doesn't overstay its welcome. The boxing turned street fight at the end was a fun way to end that two parter. Only complaint I had with this episode was Garcia who wouldn't shut the fuck up. Also, while I know tons of other story telling media do this too, I like how the small bits of dialogue and banter between characters is enough to show you their familiarity with each other. Like the betting part between Dutch, Benny, and Balalaika for example. Only reason I mention this is cause other anime/media feel the need to have long expository flashbacks and abuse that over and over just to show how characters interact.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The worst part about old man storytime is that Chiyo does a much better job of getting the third over in her quick ass recap to Sakura.

The second part of the Sasori fight isn't terrible, but the pacing is still bad. The last act of the fight is really the only thing Shippuden has going for it since the start of the series, and for a long time after this. Sasori has one of the better Akatsuki backstories, though the lengths it goes to try to invoke emotion is probably going to be grating for lots of people here.

Episode 5 is when Attack on Titan finally gets going.
But the next arc also brings up some pretty unsavory aspects of Eren's character, and I don't mean him being annoying, I mean legitimately morally questionable. If/ when/ how these parts of his character are ever addressed will pretty much decide whether he's actually a good character or just an ignorant, loose cannon shonen moron.

Takashi

My favorite scene was completely fucked in the anime and I'm still salty about it

Which scene? spoiler tag or pm or telepathy

Also, I'm not getting some of the criticism for Eren's rage. It's supposed to be illogical. He's some 15-16 year old kid, brain not even fully developed, who saw his mother get bitten in half and eaten when he was just a boy. That can't be stressed enough. He doesn't live in the 21st century where he could get the appropriate help to cope. He's not watching these events from a semi omniscient point of view like the viewers are. Viewers naturally want to apply logic when this kid isn't about that. I mean, hell bent on getting revenge on the monsters that have completely traumatized him and ruined many other people's lives sounds like a pretty appropriate response. Shit I'm sure there are grown ass adults in real life who would probably react the same way if they felt their loved ones were merely just threatened, much less bitten in fucking half.

Also, I'm not getting some of the criticism for Eren's rage. It's supposed to be illogical. He's some 15-16 year old kid, brain not even fully developed, who saw his mother get bitten in half and eaten when he was just a boy. That can't be stressed enough. He doesn't live in the 21st century where he could get the appropriate help to cope. He's not watching these events from a semi omniscient point of view like the viewers are. Viewers naturally want to apply logic when this kid isn't about that. I mean, hell bent on getting revenge on the monsters that have completely traumatized him and ruined many other people's lives sounds like a pretty appropriate response. Shit I'm sure there are grown ass adults in real life who would probably react the same way if they felt their loved ones were merely just threatened, much less bitten in fucking half.

For me, I think it's more that that's his entire character. He does nothing else.

Moaradin

Thats the other scene that I'm salty about, go read the chapter
"smile"
in the manga then compare it to how the anime does it, that's the scene I'm forever salty for how they depicted it

Oh, I know what scene you're talking about. Yeah that was weird in the anime.

For me, I think it's more that that's his entire character. He does nothing else.

Also the fact he was like this *before* that traumatic stuff happened, not at the same level,but he was on about how "complacent" everyone was and how they should be out fighting the titans before that. Additionally the annoyance from his character comes from how dang loud he is about it and in the face of other characters be far more likable or well reasoned.Also part of it for me is, I have yet to in anyway been shown how humans can believably stand up to even one titan. let alone multiple or the big ones. So his ramblings are kinda "you're kinda making me feel bad kid while putting others in danger for not understanding the reality/gravity of the situation, especially in the face of your first hand experience with titans".

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That is exactly my problem with AoT so far. They have not shown how they can possibly stand up to the two new titans yet so Eren's shit talking just comes off as completely insane instead of regular old insane.

Takashi

Ok that I can understand. Even then I could say, "Well he's a kid, and that's all he's thought about since it happened," but I'm not gonna defend it to the death. I am hoping he gets a decent character development in the future though. What I said was meant more towards criticism of the way Eren has reacted towards his mother dying.

Edit: As far as Eren's talk on beating the titans? Yeah that's just typical shounen protag bs.

Gorillaz

That is exactly my problem with AoT so far. They have not shown how they can possibly stand up to the two new titans yet so Eren's shit talking just comes off as completely insane instead of regular old insane.
Well he saw his mom ripped apart at the agelike 15.

Dude isnt as logic thinking as someone like Jean (from what we've seen) because he's still a kid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They showed a ton of training though and could have possibly given out some Titan killing theory instead of just this generic wire fighting crap. I'm sure it'll come together pretty soon though.

He was an annoying little shit before the titans wrecked his mother too

Takashi

He was an annoying little shit before the titans wrecked his mother too

True I'm not excusing that, most shounen leads are the same way. The rage mode revenge mindset is justifiable though, only issue is it stacks onto his already annoying personality, so it exacerbates it at times.

MikeMyers

tumblr_mkx88c2Td11r9l4bco1_500.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Inuyasha and Kagome and Inuyasha and Kikiyo being convincing couples is part of the reason this show works so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom