• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masticate and spit: good diet strategy or bad diet strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zaptruder said:
Lately, I've . . . adopted a habit of eating chocolate or other small bite sized unhealthy but tasty foods), but not swallowing and instead spitting it out.

Zaptruder said:
In my mind, it's a pretty good strategy

Zaptruder said:
(but it's not bulimia).

Zaptruder said:
Or is it possible that I've 'found' (so far as I've turned a blind eye to the obvious grossness of spitting food out, and accepted all its benefits) the one way to have my cake and eat it too... literally (and proverbially).

Zaptruder said:
Maybe there'll be a groundswell of masticator-spitters, and one day it'll be socially acceptable to ask for a spitting dish at a restaraunt.

Red flag, red flag, red flag...

Zaptruder said:
but shit, I'm flipping it over it my logical brain and I just can't find a con to it..
Of course it would seem logical to you. We're not the ones doing mental gymnastics to help cheat our weight loss plans.

Sugar isn't an addiction. Heroin is. But anyway...

Zaptruder said:
While I'd like to say that I'm stronger than that, and I should be able to rationally control it and turn it off, I know that's just too slippery a path to take. That's the kind of justification that leads men into the abyss.

Real weight loss is about a lifestyle change; changing the lifestyle helps with the weight loss. Would I consider this kind of behaviour part of a healthy lifestyle that is able to maintain an optimal weight? I would have to say no.

So given that rationality... yeah, I'm changing my mind on this one.

Indeed. Good work, OP. Just keep up the healthy diet and exercise. A sweet treat every once in a while isn't going to kill you, and learning to control your eating habits is far more beneficial and rewarding than relying on a crutch to "have your cake and eat it too" - especially when that crutch can (but not necessarily will) develop into more dangerous behavior.

It looks like the seeds of a healthy lifestyle have already been planted, so it's just a matter of discipline to continue on. It's not that hard, really. *thumbs up* :D

DanteFox

Zaptruder said:
Thanks for the positive words gaffers (and for reading and comprehending).

These are just one of those brain waves where you're thinking... it can't be quite right*; although you can't find the reasons for it.
*hell it almost seems right! (... or does it?!).

The struggle of the will is one of the biggest factors concerning any diet. I mean, I've lived for 25+ years without much of a care about this stuff... I'm basically like many of my generation weaned on sugar. It's an addiction. Understanding that it's harmful for me is one thing... exercising the will to reject it without compromise is another entirely more tricky thing.

The ability to discuss this kinda stuff freely, and without hopefully too much judgment (which would cause people to shy away from discussion), helps a person become more informed, helps them take on additional angles of thought that they may not have considered, or may have slipped them, and ultimately helps make better decisions.

Making this kinda thread, you have to be quite thick skinned. The internet (and GAF for the most part) loves to dogpile, and provide barbed advice, like I said so that they can feel a little better about themselves while putting down someone else. But if you can sift through it, there's plenty of decent discussion to be had.
Lol I don't know why you think the people here giving you tough love/ straight talk are only doing it in order to feel better about themselves. Heck some of the posters in this very thread have admitted that they themselves have, or have had, eating disorders. Props on accepting that it's a problem though.

I just did this last night with some Reese's buttercups actually. I'm in great physical shape, but sometimes you just get that urge to eat something that's terrible for your body. This is a win-win approach. I get to have my Reese's and none of the calories (well, except what is dissolved in my mouth). After I chew and spit, the urge for junk food is gone. What's the problem here?

Zaptruder

Banned
DanteFox said:
Lol I don't know why you think the people here giving you tough love/ straight talk are only doing it in order to feel better about themselves. Heck some of the posters in this very thread have admitted that they themselves have, or have had, eating disorders. Props on accepting that it's a problem though.

Tough love is bullshit. It's justified haughtiness.

grumble

C+S is basically the same as bulimia. Both are eating disorders. In one, the food goes out->mouth->out, in the other, it goes out->mouth->stomach->mouth->out. Both are extremely unhealthy relationships with food.

If you really want to lose weight, choose a diet that doesn't drive you so crazy you develop an ED.

It's not justified haughtiness, it's trying to drive in the concept that this should never be done by repeating ad infinitum.

Arde5643

saltinekracka said:
I just did this last night with some Reese's buttercups actually. I'm in great physical shape, but sometimes you just get that urge to eat something that's terrible for your body. This is a win-win approach. I get to have my Reese's and none of the calories (well, except what is dissolved in my mouth). After I chew and spit, the urge for junk food is gone. What's the problem here?
If you actually bothered reading the thread, you'll know that if you keep on doing this, your craving will get worse since you keep doing the chew + spit tactic instead of weaning yourself of junk food altogether.

And if everytime you eat junk food you do this, well, that's called an eating disorder.

DonMigs85

Would be nice if they could just invent artifically flavored insoluble fiber. Won't make you fat AND keeps you regular!

Arde5643 said:
If you actually bothered reading the thread, you'll know that if you keep on doing this, your craving will get worse since you keep doing the chew + spit tactic instead of weaning yourself of junk food altogether.

And if everytime you eat junk food you do this, well, that's called an eating disorder.

"According to Wikipedia, an eating disorder is defined as 'a complex compulsion to eat in a way which disturbs physical, mental and psychological health.'"

I spit out two Reese's and I have health problems? Thanks for the lulz. I don't splurge when I do eat crap food. Everyone wants to help themselves to ice cream, candy, etc. at some point. I just choose not to ingest it. As I said, I'm in top physical shape. There is no downside here unless I go off the handle with it.

Arde5643

saltinekracka said:
"According to Wikipedia, an eating disorder is defined as 'a complex compulsion to eat in a way which disturbs physical, mental and psychological health.'"

I spit out two Reese's and I have health problems? Thanks for the lulz. I don't splurge when I do eat crap food. Everyone wants to help themselves to ice cream, candy, etc. at some point. I just choose not to ingest it. As I said, I'm in top physical shape. There is no downside here unless I go off the handle with it.
Well, do you do this every time you have cravings for junk food?

If you do and you still want to continue doing this every single time, it's your own body - just be careful about it.

DonMigs85

saltinekracka said:

If you're in "top physical shape" then I think you can afford to swallow a couple of Reese's Cups or spoonfuls of ice cream a few times per week. Besides, they do contain some protein at least.
Think of the starving people in Asia and Africa who have to be eat Plumpy Nut to put on weight, while you chew and spit your cravings.

DonMigs85 said:
IThink of the starving people in Asia and Africa who have to be eat Plumpy Nut to put on weight, while you chew and spit your cravings.

This is fucking stupid. Spitting out the food will give you a greater appreciation for your waste since your fat spoiled ass shouldn't be buying junk food anyway.

elrechazao said:
If you don't see how it's different, you have a thinking problem worse than his eating problem

I am not a drug addict. It's not like I am shooting the stuff up my arm like those losers. I am only snorting.

Is this the analogy you are going for with your charming and thought provoking reply?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Don't do it Zaptruder. There are other ways.

And it's pretty gross to be honest. I saw a chick on some show about eating disorders doing this. Her friends and family thought it was sick.

benita

Banned
Hey Calista Flockhart, you started this fucking thread asking for opinions and you've done nothing but rip on people who have tried to help you out.

Surprise, you DO have an eating disorder and there's a strong chance it will turn into full blown bulimia.

Buh-buh-but I've got willpower to not let it get that far. Hey, use some actual willpower and put down the fucking snickers.

Defcon

Banned
benita said:
Hey Calista Flockhart, you started this fucking thread asking for opinions and you've done nothing but rip on people who have tried to help you out.

Surprise, you DO have an eating disorder and there's a strong chance it will turn into full blown bulimia.

Buh-buh-but I've got willpower to not let it get that far. Hey, use some actual willpower and put down the fucking snickers.

alf.jpg

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
I barely read Gaf these days/play games, but I remember you with the moving cat gif. Old school!

It sounds dumb. I considered doing it when I was in like 6th grade, but never went through with it. Here are three more productive options:

1. Do a crazy ass bulking workout program like "20 rep squats" or "The Super Accumulation Program". When I do those, especially the 20 rep squat program, the sense of hunger I feel is similar to being a teenager, having the need to eat 8000 calories one random day, then a month later realizing I'm an inch taller.

If you do those, you'll need to eat a ton of food and can get away with sneaking a little junk in. A couple months ago I did a cycle of the super accumulation program, took 5 days off, did another cycle. I was eating 5000 calories a day, gained muscle, lost some fat. I was loose stools and my ass was bleeding from all the wiping, I was eating so much. :lol I tried to do a third cycle but my body said fuck that.

2. Do a crazy diet program like the "Velocity Diet". After a week you'll be DREAMING of going to the chinese buffet. It just sucks that right before you wake up you think you've blown the diet. :lol

3. Learn to lucid dream. For over ten years it's been one of those things I've wanted to master but never put in the work consistently. Rather extreme to get good at it, with all the dream logs, self--reminders. But not as extreme as eating food and spitting it out.

4. If you do go ahead and do this, do it in front of a dog or a group of pigeons. At least someone will get to eat that way. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom