• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Down is Free to play, beta near PS4 Japan launch

Well... I guess that means I 'll try it for sure if nothing else. If my past experience is anything to go by though, f2p is as good as saying this game and I will have no future. We'll see though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
meh. It looks not my cup of tea anyway. But at least if its F2P ill try it out.

Same.

Gone from "No interest" to "well since it's there" for me

but I'm sure the verdict on whether it's any good or not will be out way before I ever get a PS4

Midou

I love how people are complaining about some thing that's free.

That's not the point at all. I think most people would rather pay $60 and get a complete experience, rather than get a free game and have to pay for lots of little shit later, that will likely come to more than $60.

I mean you have f2p games that give you most of the content for free, and only charge you for visual stuff (ala PSO2) but somehow being Capcom, I expect we get something super gimped for free, and end up paying out the ass for everything.

SparkTR

Free is one thing, F2P is another. It usually means the game will be compromised in certain ways to facilitate the business model. Granted sometimes it's done smartly like Dota 2 or Path of Exile, but being from Capcom Online and being targeted at a machine with a low userbase I don't have any faith it will turn out good.

I have no problem with this. It's clear that the scope of the game was never intended to be something along the lines of Elder Scrolls or even Dark Souls. It seems to fall more on the side of some sort of multiplayer focused loot/roguelike type of shit then F2P seems to fit it just fine.

tbm24

For all the negativity in this thread regarding the fact that it's f2p, which by all means be negative if you wish, I don't believe I've seen anyone take notice of the fact that it mentions a beta for the game. I know people have a downer on capcom these days, but last f2p game beta I played(and still play) currently is clocked at almost 2k hours on steam.....never know what can happen with feedback(which is the point of a beta right?)

And instantly all the excitement I had for this game is gone. Really disappointing news, can't trust Capcom to get it right and I was really hoping for something more than online-only F2P.

The hype won't return even if it ends up being the best game ever. Sad.

Guess I'll just have to keep waiting for that Dragon's Dogma sequel I want so badly... don't mess that one up, Capcom.

Probably gonna pass on it. Honestly, everything I've seen and heard about this game since the initial video has progressively killed my desire to play it. It certainly does look nice, though.

I've had the exact opposite reaction. Looking cooler and cooler, and if they do the f2p in a non-onerous way it will remain my most hyped game.

Midou

No details at all yet people are writing the game off and making all kinds of overreacting statements.

Because Capcom is a shit company who has made so many shitty choices this gen, it's hard to expect anything from them.

I'm shocked AA5 is a thing and actually coming out in the US so fast, it must be old capcom using a time machine, not the capcom who gives away and abandons their franchises, or turns them into mobile games.

If this is a game in the same light as PSO2 where you only pay for cosmetic stuff, I will gladly eat a buffet of crows.

KoopaTheCasual

This is really worrying. Guys, didn't they say they'd continue to support the game with more dungeons after launch? That really leads me to believe they're going to charge for access per dungeon. That's pretty lame. Well, since it's free I might as well try it, but I doubt it'll last long on my HDD =

george_us

Does that mean you're no longer interested or that it doesn't belong on the list because you can't buy it?
No longer interested in playing it although my interest already took a sharp decline when it was announced it would have randomly generated dungeons.

Why are people automatically writing it off because it's F2P? Could still be amazing.

Comimg from the only company that had the cheek to try to sell the ending of a game as DLC this gen , I havent got much faith.

Its not the fact that its F2P. Its The fact that its a Capcom F2P. A Capcom F2P using brand new engine on Next gen consoles (So they are going to aggressively want to make the investment back).

Its like an outbreak of Herpes, genital warts and thrush all at the same time.

web01

Terrible will end up in a shitty experience designed to milk us for as much money as possible instead of a clearly designed and well balanced game.

Darknight

many people say F2P games are bad.....I don't know how to feel.

F2P from.....Capcom. Thats something to worry about.

Why couldnt they make a real game with decent effort? Instead we get a half assed game thats F2P. How the mighty have fallen...Thank god I dont depend on Japanese devs to make good games now a days.

Western Devs all day, evry day. They will get my money, not these clowns.

My first free to play? looks like it.

Depending on your region, perhaps not. Launching with PS4 on November 15th and 29th (or within launch window) are these F2P games: War Thunder, Warframe, Blacklight: Retribution, Outlast, PlanetSide 2, and DC Universe Online (All F2P games do not require PS+ to play online). If you do decide to get PS+ you will get DriveClub PS+ Edition, Resogun, Don't Starve and more with your subscription.

nib95

Banned
Comimg from the only company that had the cheek to try to sell the ending of a game as DLC this gen , I havent got much faith.

Its not the fact that its F2P. Its The fact that its a Capcom F2P

Its like an outbreak of Herpes, genital warts and thrush all at the same time.

Based on your last post about Deep Down, which was full of absolute baseless critiques, I'm not surprised you feel this way.

Damaniel

Banned
Why are people automatically writing it off because it's F2P? Could still be amazing.

I'm not inherently opposed to F2P, it's just that the way that most games choose to implement it ruins the fun.

A good F2P model will cause people to purchase microtransactions because they enjoy the game. Path of Exile is a good example of this (and one of the few that gets it right).

A bad F2P model will design the game around purchasing microtransactions, making them necessary to advance (or to advance at a rate faster than 'glacial'). Pretty much every mobile game falls into this category, as does almost every F2P MMO. There are various degrees of 'bad' depending on how much content can be seen without paying and the rate at which non/low payers see content relative to the 'whales', but most games skew too much toward punitive non-paying play.

I'd definitely play Deep Down if they had more of the former type of transaction, but those aren't very profitable because they're mainly optional. I suspect that most transactions will be of the latter type, and at that point, it's just a matter of degree between whether the game is bearable or completely not worth playing. I really hope Capcom does the right thing here, but history has shown that developers tend to see the dollar signs and implement microtransactions in the greediest way possible.

You can usually tell the difference in quality and depth between something that's F2P and something that's designed as a normal priced game.

F2P games are designed to make money. Regular games are designed to be great games (in theory anyway)

A capcom designed F2P game? It'll probably be an amazing single player experience that you don't have to spend a cent on.

Midou

Based on your last post about Deep Down, which was full of absolute baseless critiques, I'm not surprised you feel this way.

I've been really hyped for it and defended it in every thread, but I feel the same way. Dragon's Dogma proved Capcom can make a great action RPG, so that was most of my hype, but f2p will most likely imply paying for individual dungeons and stuff, so hype is gone.

Blackage

Capcom has increasingly become a publisher that is trying to milk people for every single nickle and dime they can, even at the expense of a game's quality. There's this huge disconnect between the suits that run the place and want to maximize profits and the developers that are just trying to make good games, and it's become increasingly apparent over the past few years.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm still interested in it. Maybe more so, since there's no risk in getting it now. But to keep it quiet for as long as they have reeks of shadiness, especially given their past. It was never going to be the next Dark Souls, anyway.

Top Bottom