• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Mariip

Hey I just got the game today. In the desert and overgrown city area is it normal for it to stop and load the map for 20-30 secs almost every time you sprint in one direction for 1 min or min thirty? The game kept saying my disk was dirty which is making me think my disk may be causing the loading.

I'm getting cutscenes where the subtitle is there 15 secs before the dialogue is spoken. Is this normal on a PS4 Pro?
I don't know about ps4 pro... but i never had problems with map loading on my OG ps4... you might want to check your blu-ray disc if other games are not giving you trouble

NEO0MJ

I don't think that top hat robot who warns you about junk is jean paul.

I think he's just an asshole to everyone.

The relationship between Jean Paul and Simone (whose real life counterparts actually have an interesting history together) is actually more about the real life simone's own theories about how a women's "feminine identity" is made and is dependent in a patriarchal society, and the first real exploration of the overall theme of identifying what makes humanity.

And the dependent "feminine identity" is later also explored and subverted by Eve.

On the one hand Jean Paul is not obligated to return the affection others feel towards him, but on the other hand he should know how to tell them that he's not interested in pursuing a relationship 😂

As for Eve, it's obviously because he has a girl's name.

Hylian7

I hope that 2B figure isn't TOO expensive.

Something I thought about, and maybe this is answered somewhere, but I had wondered why the androids wear the blindfolds, and why A2 never wears one in the game at all. The theory I came up with was that they represent whether they know the truth about the humans or not. 2B obviously knows the truth, as she has to keep killing 9S because of it, but he isn't supposed to know she knows, which is why she still wears it. For 9S, his comes off after he learns the truth, and then is killed by 2B in ending A/B. In ending C/D/E he also isn't wearing it, and knows the truth, with A2 pointing out that he knew about 2B being 2E.

Was there any explanation of the blindfolds other than just a stylistic choice?

Hektor

I hope that 2B figure isn't TOO expensive.

Something I thought about, and maybe this is answered somewhere, but I had wondered why the androids wear the blindfolds, and why A2 never wears one in the game at all. The theory I came up with was that they represent whether they know the truth about the humans or not. 2B obviously knows the truth, as she has to keep killing 9S because of it, but he isn't supposed to know she knows, which is why she still wears it. For 9S, his comes off after he learns the truth, and then is killed by 2B in ending A/B. In ending C/D/E he also isn't wearing it, and knows the truth, with A2 pointing out that he knew about 2B being 2E.

Was there any explanation of the blindfolds other than just a stylistic choice?

In lore it is simply explained as "combat goggles", however, that is obviously just made up after the fact, your explanation and the pure stylisitc effort are definitely the primary reasons.

The KH3 Bring Arts did cost 60$/70€, so i'd expect that Tubie to be the same

NEO0MJ

I'm trying to figure out if the machine is being sold separately from 2B or not. I want 6 of those machines to recreate romeos and juliets on my desk at work.

I don't want that 2B as I'm just going to get Flare's scale.

The description makes it seem like they come in a bundle.

Also, isn't the machine the wrong model? Plus you'd have to paint them :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't think that top hat robot who warns you about junk is jean paul.

Nah, I mean I know the two were distinct robots---I just mean since they have the same hat and all I thought the one at the fair was the man Simone was in love with and never made the Jean Paul connection.

I beat the game.

The story was okay. Not the mindblowing emotional stuff some made it out to be. Though the final moment of destroying the credits with the help of other players was fantastic.

I would have probably appreciated the story better if there had been less confusion. For example, when climbing the tower with A2 and 9S, you learn that there was a "backdoor" installed in the Bunker. At that revelation, I was confused because I thought what I was supposed to get from that scene was that the machines had created Yohra. I told myself "that doesn't seem right but ok I guess". I was trying to piece things together that could not fit because it was not true, but the game just wasn't clear in its delivery of the message. Even up to the final moments of the game, I was confused about that point, about who created the backdoor and who created Yohra. The game sent me in a direction it wasn't trying to, and it's a bummer.

Also, about the motivations of the Machine Network AI thing (the final boss), tell me if I got this right. His goal was to accumulate data from the war between the androids and the machines, so that at some point, he would have so much data that he would become a god. Is this it? That part wasn't clear.

Also, the twist that 2B was an executioner model who executed 9S multiple times in the past completely fell flat on me. It didn't feel earned at all. I just shrugged and went "really? ok". The one line from 2B at the end of the first playthrough ("why does it always end like this?") isn't enough to lay the groundwork for that twist.

Reading GAF a bit earlier, I know the game had sidequests that hinted at that relationship between the "S" models and their handlers. I did a lot of sidequests, including the one of the amnesiac girl who killed her friend, but I'm not sure the game made it clear that the victim was an S model. The quest didn't hint at the idea that this was thing between every S model and their handler, as opposed to just between these two individuals, which is what I got from that. Or maybe it did and it just didn't register for me because I was tired of playing the game or something. I was bored and, at times, frustrated by the gameplay. I was just playing for the story.

In any case, I overall enjoyed my time with the game, and the final credits is really something I am glad I experienced. I just wish the game had handled its narration a bit better. Some moments could have been more emotionally powerful had the game executed on them better.

LotusHD

Banned
I beat the game.

The story was okay. Not the mindblowing emotional stuff some made it out to be. Though the final moment of destroying the credits with the help of other players was fantastic.

I would have probably appreciated the story better if there had been less confusion. For example, when climbing the tower with A2 and 9S, you learn that there was a "backdoor" installed in the Bunker. At that revelation, I was confused because I thought what I was supposed to get from that scene was that the machines had created Yohra. I told myself "that doesn't seem right but ok I guess". I was trying to piece things together that could not fit because it was not true, but the game just wasn't clear in its delivery of the message. Even up to the final moments of the game, I was confused about that point, about who created the backdoor and who created Yohra. The game sent me in a direction it wasn't trying to, and it's a bummer.

The androids installed the backdoor, to allow the machines to take advantage of it when Project YoRHa is put into effect. The androids also created YoRHa.

Also, about the motivations of the Machine Network AI thing (the final boss), tell me if I got this right. His goal was to accumulate data from the war between the androids and the machines, so that at some point, he would have so much data that he would become a god. Is this it? That part wasn't clear.

Been awhile, so I don't remember the god part, just that they kept the androids around (As in, they too did not want a decisive victory) as keeping them around would help to evolve further and more quickly. As you saw when the network split into two when playing as A2, one "entity" agrees with keeping the androids alive, while the others feel that they should be destroyed, so there's in-fighting going on as far as that was concerned.

Also, the twist that 2B was an executioner model who executed 9S multiple times in the past completely fell flat on me. It didn't feel earned at all. I just shrugged and went "really? ok". The one line from 2B at the end of the first playthrough ("why does it always end like this?") isn't enough to lay the groundwork for that twist.

It wasn't just that one line though that gets recontexualized though:

- "Why does it always end like this"? from the endings of Routes A/B
- 2B's strange, borderline edgy opening monologue about wanting to kill god when you begin Route A (Which you essentially succeed in doing through completing Route E
- 2B going from being cold to 9S to weirdly quickly becoming attached to him before they committed suicide in order to destroy the Goliath machines in the factory
- 2B balling up her fist shortly after 9S reveals that he was not able to recover his memories as they recuperated back on the bunker after said factory battle
- The Weapon Stories for 2B's default weapons
- 2B's mantra of "emotions being prohibited" only actually being followed by her

On 9S' end, it's even more subtle in regards to him subconsciously aware of the truth of their relationship:

- "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" turns not to mean fuck where the game is just messing with us/him, but the word "kill".
- 9S getting very murderous against the entity that's tampering with his memories that has taken on 2B's appearance
- 9S getting weirdly passionate about killing the 2B clones, not because he's pissed that the machines are trampling on her image, but because this presents a unique opportunity for him to... vent, to put it lightly

Bonus shit:

- The Amnesia sidequest
- The Wandering Couple sidequest alludes to it as well

Etc. etc. But yea, they're there. The reveal is definitely something that is prone to making you go "Oh, alright then" when it's first laid out to you. But when you think back on the journey that led you to this point, it got more and more impressive for me personally, as it repeatedly had me think "Oh, so that's why X, Y, and Z happened this way..." I also appreciated that the game generally preferred for you to make those conclusions on your own, rather than them flat-out spelling everything out for you regarding their relationship.

Reading GAF a bit earlier, I know the game had sidequests that hinted at that relationship between the "S" models and their handlers. I did a lot of sidequests, including the one of the amnesiac girl who killed her friend, but I'm not sure the game made it clear that the victim was an S model. The quest didn't hint at the idea that this was thing between every S model and their handler, as opposed to just between these two individuals, which is what I got from that. Or maybe it did and it just didn't register for me because I was tired of playing the game or something. I was bored and, at times, frustrated by the gameplay. I was just playing for the story.

I don't recall anything about them mentioning the "S" models. The Amnesia sidequest revealed that Type-E is a thing, I know that much.

wesStyle

Hey GAF. Glad that this thread is still active.

Haven't seen it linked for a long time, so might as well do this again.

For anyone who just finished the game or still for some reason haven't read it - here is a list of all translated Automata side materials (with a suggested reading order at the end):
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/wiki/lore
There are answers to pretty much all of the questions people usually have after finishing the game as well as a considerable story expansion.

LotusHD, I suggest you take a look at the latest translation of Strategy Guide as it (and, well, everything else released after the game) pretty much debunks the theory about 9S thinking about how he wants to "kill" 2B. Ofc there is no direct answer to this and you are free to assume anything but too many facts points out to 9S having literally 0 hatred towards 2B throughout all of his lives and certainly throughout the game. And we got direct 9S' thoughts through most of those controversial moments and even during Adam mind raping him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The 2E twist was foreshadowed all to hell though. It's not even just the "It always ends like this" line.

Like look at route C really. The whole of 9S story there is pretty much leading up to it, and even certain parts of B as well. Like the fight against virtual 2B in his hacking world. And also his fight against the multiple 2Bs. But the thing is that reveal shows that it's not some falling insane due to lost love trope, it's more about how his likely knowledge of the relationship makes the reveal to be more about what their relationship is actually like, to endure it in a way just so they can be together.

LotusHD

Banned

For anyone who just finished the game or still for some reason haven't read it - here is a list of all translated Automata side materials (with a suggested reading order at the end):
There are answers to pretty much all of the questions people usually have after finishing the game as well as a considerable story expansion.

LotusHD, I suggest you take a look at the latest translation of Strategy Guide as it (and, well, everything else released after the game) pretty much debunks the theory about 9S thinking about how he wants to "kill" 2B. Ofc there is no direct answer to this and you are free to assume anything but too many facts points out to 9S having literally 0 hatred towards 2B throughout all of his lives and certainly throughout the game. And we got direct 9S' thoughts through most of those controversial moments and even during Adam mind raping him.

I feel like the 2B models cast some doubt, but alright, I stand corrected on the "kill" part lol

wesStyle

I feel like the 2B models cast some doubt, but alright, I stand corrected on the "kill" part lol
(taking into account the 4th concert script and strategy guide here)
That scene is pretty complicated in itself considering 9S's corrupted condition with reality and fiction blended, even Pod mentions that it didn't know whether 9S was doing it (can be also read as to continuing to kill enemies even though he lost everything) out of love or murderous intent (right before the fight 9S tells that he'll destroy as many enemies as possible and N2 conveniently sends him "targets"). 9S was really acting pretty bipolar/crazy with different tones of his lines.
And the music that plays there is also pretty special if you've played og Nier.

But again judging by 9S' direct thoughts right before and after the fight - never he mentioned anything even remotely close to what people initially thought he deep down felt towards 2B.
It is also outright stated by the same Pod that for 9S, 2B was not just a family but she was closer than a lover... so yeah.

Actually knowing this, both Soul Box and 2B's clone fights were the pinnacles of 9S's torture by N2. What looked like him being pretty "entertained" during them turned out to be genuinely sad and heartbreaking.

NEO0MJ

I don't recall anything about them mentioning the "S" models. The Amnesia sidequest revealed that Type-E is a thing, I know that much.

It seemed that only 9S was deemed enough of a risk to need a caretaker. The missing S with the confidential plug ins didn't seem to have a handler or he prob wouldn't have gone missing or taken by that android.

Speaking of S, what happens if you complete the quest for the one in the forest?

Antiwhippy

(taking into account the 4th concert script and strategy guide here)
That scene is pretty complicated in itself considering 9S's corrupted condition with reality and fiction blended, even Pod mentions that it didn't know whether 9S was doing it (can be also read as to continuing to kill enemies even though he lost everything) out of love or murderous intent (right before the fight 9S tells that he'll destroy as many enemies as possible and N2 conveniently sends him "targets"). 9S was really acting pretty bipolar/crazy with different tones of his lines.
And the music that plays there is also pretty special if you've played og Nier.

But again judging by 9S' direct thoughts right before and after the fight - never he mentioned anything even remotely close to what people initially thought he deep down felt towards 2B.
It is also outright stated by the same Pod that for 9S, 2B was not just a family but she was closer than a lover... so yeah.

Actually knowing this, both Soul Box and 2B's clone fights were the pinnacles of 9S's torture by N2. What looked like him being pretty "entertained" during them turned out to be genuinely sad and heartbreaking.

Or to put it another way, don't hate the player hate the game.

wesStyle

Or to put it another way, don't hate the player hate the game.

Even better, hate him:
yoko-taro-555x328.jpg

but also love him too

I will absolutely be reading this. Thank you!

Antiwhippy

I'd say the lore stuff while is pretty cool, it is also mostly fluff as the game is fairly self-contained with what you need to know from the game itself.

So it's not going to sway you or anything. I'd say if anything it's better to ponder just within the game.

wesStyle

I'd say the lore stuff while is pretty cool, it is also mostly fluff as the game is fairly self-contained with what you need to know from the game itself.

So it's not going to sway you or anything. I'd say if anything it's better to ponder just within the game.
All those novels and concerts are honestly mostly serving as a glorified 2Bx9S fanservice. Like literally over a half of them are dedicated to those two. While I was satisfied overall - Memory Thorn alone would be enough as we already got a hint in the game about it in a CBO weapon story.
But Q&A, Timeline and multiple interviews by Yoko Taro as well as three smaller novels and YoRHa origin concert story are quite interesting and gives some nice details to the world.

Anyway, people should be aware of all of those. The fact that Automata is a sequel to the YoRHa stage play which is also a part of the story chain makes any piece of side material count. Maybe if we show enough interest, next time Square Enix will finally decide to release translated versions of them outside of Japan.

Hektor

Famitsu Issue No.1494 – Translations

Only the bolded has been translated yet tho

2B's Voice Actor: Interview with Ishikawa Yui (2 pages)
9S's Voice Actor: Interview with Hanae Natsuke (2 pages)
A2's Voice Actor: Interview with Suwa Ayaka (2 pages)
Rabid Dogs of NieR's World: A Conversation with Yasumoto Hiroki & Yuki Aoi (4 pages)
The Inspiration for ”NieR:Automata" (2 pages)
Report: Questionaire Results (4 pages)
Messages from the Fans (2 pages)
Message and Cosplay from Yui (2 pages)
Taking a Look Back at ”NieR:Automata" — Discussion with the Main Staff (3 pages)
Present for the Readers

Famitsu Issue No.1494 – Questionnaire

Q12: Did you... do that?

I did it once. (757)
I haven't done it yet. (723)
I can't say it loud, but I backed it up first then did it. (506)
I don't plan to do it. (292)

I did it more than three times. (284)
I did it twice. (180)

Scummotheearf

Pilgrimzero

Beat it saw the real ending.

Had to go to forums to understand it.

I never picked up on 2B had been killing 9S for quite awhile. Or that 9S whole being mind wiped retained his feelings for her. Which again made the whole love thing feel really forced.

I didn't get what Project Gestalt was or how the 2 redheads messed it up.

Or why fooling the androids was even necessary. Or what the towers goal was. Or etc etc

Got some explainations thanks to forums.

Over all I really really liked it despite I think the story having some missteps.

Phatcorns

Wow dude. Just finished Ending E and deleted my save data. That moment when all the other players come to help you and the choir kicks in.

God damn. That was worth the 22 hours I spent playing the game.

(I'm predictably nostalgic with shit like this.)

So, yeah. Been meaning to get down a couple thoughts. Everything leading up to the ending of C/D was incredible. Devola and Popola's last stand was awesome, really glad I at least watched a Nier recap before getting too far into the game. (Wish I had actually played it first, but I'm at least playing through it now.) Swapping between 9S and A2 as you ascend the tower was exhilarating, and the unlocked Machine Research Report was a fantastic way to cap off the plot side of things. Jackass being the one to write it and ending it with ”God, what the hell, this sucks, I'm gonna kill all these mf'ers" was a great touch; kind of wish the game spent a bit more time on this type of thing instead of relegating it to text collectibles.

But yeah, that ending. Christ. I unfortunately knew the broad strokes going in – you sacrifice your save data to help others in some kind of fight – but I'm fairly certain I would have guessed stuff like that was coming after watching the Nier recap anyway, and even though I knew some of what was coming, it didn't stop it from absolutely knocking me on my ass.

This past year has not exactly been the greatest period of my life, and the further I got into Automata, the more I worried that it was going to be the kind of awesome thing that I unfortunately experienced at the worst possible time. The game really seemed to be barreling toward the conclusion that existence is meaningless suffering by the time you're revisiting Pascal's village (”Would you like to take a look at my wares?"), and while I was definitely enjoying the game, I feel like my face was perpetually stuck on the same empty/dead expression that I had toward the end of The Last of Us. I was 100% expecting it to end with the pods going down swinging during a suicidal attempt for that eternal idea of Something More, and it felt somber as all hell when you commit to the impossible battle and that 8-bit version of the final theme starts playing. So when it pulled the handbrake and did a 180 during the course of that final conflict, it... landed much more than I ever could have imagined. The inevitable deaths against Square Enix being ”but it refused"-ed, the stream of encouraging messages starting to build up on the screen, and the game straight up fucking asking you if existence is meaningless yes/no... (The fact that this works at all without being intensely corny is in itself kind of impressive)

And yeah, by time you accept a rescue offer and the chorus kicks in I just fucking lost it. Like, there have been a good number of games in the last 10 years or so that have gotten some real emotion out of me, but this one of maybe two or three moments that have just fucking broken me. Intense catharsis, wholly earned. I can't possibly imagine a better time in my life to have played this. Like, yeah, maybe ”meaning" doesn't just happen, but fuck it, you have to get out there and find it, the same as everyone else floating through life. And the ”final words" and the new title screen was such a perfect final note. I wanted to run outside and just high five everyone in sight.

I still can't get over the fact that the final conflict and the end of the story involves literally fucking fighting against the end of the story.

Anyway. I had a couple little nitpicks here and there, the biggest one being that route C felt kind of rushed / thin considering the stuff that was going down (budget?), but overall this was a fantastic goddamn game, my quickest top 10 entry since Undertale. All said and done, I finished in just over 70 hours with the platinum, only saying uncle and buying the pod program trophy as I couldn't stomach more than a couple hours of grinding for the last few parts (it seems that fishing will be Nier 1's version of that grinding, lol). I still have to go read all that side material, too, I somehow haven't yet gotten around to it.

Finally, I have an unfortunate tendency to go out and buy stupid shit when I really fall in love with something -

I super don't read Japanese lol

tl;dr game is good i liked it or w/e i dunno

kubricks

Got all major ending including ending E.
Overall great experience and especially love the story.

It's almost a 10/10 for me if the game balances a bit better... it is pretty poor as it is right now. On normal everything dies too quickly, on hard everything dies just as quick but you take more damage, very hard is just same but with more OHK which is more of a nuisance than challenge.

I do not like this at all. Since the combat revolves around combo, hard mode should raise the enemy damage as well as enemy hp, that way I have to be careful while still have the fun of juggling enemy in midair.

I wish they have a new game plus where all the enemy lvl are raised 90, I'd be very happy to do another playthrough if so.

One of the best games of the year and one of the few video games that actually uses its medium to tell a story in an extremely unique way. I had some issues with the game, but overall, it was a wonderful experience.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nier Automata is my GOTY and this is the year Persona 5 came out which I fucking loved. Now this selling well I hope Square give him more budget for next game.

LotusHD

Banned
Having bigger budget is double edge sword. If Square do give him bigger budget for his next game, would they let Taro make what he wants?

Would be weird not considering the results he gave him, well, when working with Platinum anyways. That said, he doesn't seem the type to make something he doesn't want to. But at the same time, he said he'll do anything for money, so who knows lmao

Mariip

Taro with a bigger budget would be glorious
I'm just glad he got platinum to do automata, i've "finished" drakengard 3 and it's dlc recently and god damn, Nier:automata felt like a freakin naughty dog game after playing that

I hope he gets just a liiiittle bigger budget and platinum for his next one, the guy's got talent to make a masterpiece out of scraps... i think a triple A budget would make his games lose a bit of their charm since much of automata's strenghts lie on it's limitations(the overworld map size is juuust right, and the maps without textures were just beautiful)

0HBK23a.jpg

(I'm predictably nostalgic with shit like this.)

So, yeah. Been meaning to get down a couple thoughts. Everything leading up to the ending of C/D was incredible. Devola and Popola's last stand was awesome, really glad I at least watched a Nier recap before getting too far into the game. (Wish I had actually played it first, but I’m at least playing through it now.) Swapping between 9S and A2 as you ascend the tower was exhilarating, and the unlocked Machine Research Report was a fantastic way to cap off the plot side of things. Jackass being the one to write it and ending it with “God, what the hell, this sucks, I’m gonna kill all these mf’ers” was a great touch; kind of wish the game spent a bit more time on this type of thing instead of relegating it to text collectibles.

But yeah, that ending. Christ. I unfortunately knew the broad strokes going in – you sacrifice your save data to help others in some kind of fight – but I’m fairly certain I would have guessed stuff like that was coming after watching the Nier recap anyway, and even though I knew some of what was coming, it didn’t stop it from absolutely knocking me on my ass.

This past year has not exactly been the greatest period of my life, and the further I got into Automata, the more I worried that it was going to be the kind of awesome thing that I unfortunately experienced at the worst possible time. The game really seemed to be barreling toward the conclusion that existence is meaningless suffering by the time you’re revisiting Pascal’s village (“Would you like to take a look at my wares?”), and while I was definitely enjoying the game, I feel like my face was perpetually stuck on the same empty/dead expression that I had toward the end of The Last of Us. I was 100% expecting it to end with the pods going down swinging during a suicidal attempt for that eternal idea of Something More, and it felt somber as all hell when you commit to the impossible battle and that 8-bit version of the final theme starts playing. So when it pulled the handbrake and did a 180 during the course of that final conflict, it… landed much more than I ever could have imagined. The inevitable deaths against Square Enix being “but it refused”-ed, the stream of encouraging messages starting to build up on the screen, and the game straight up fucking asking you if existence is meaningless yes/no… (The fact that this works at all without being intensely corny is in itself kind of impressive)

And yeah, by time you accept a rescue offer and the chorus kicks in I just fucking lost it. Like, there have been a good number of games in the last 10 years or so that have gotten some real emotion out of me, but this one of maybe two or three moments that have just fucking broken me. Intense catharsis, wholly earned. I can’t possibly imagine a better time in my life to have played this. Like, yeah, maybe “meaning” doesn’t just happen, but fuck it, you have to get out there and find it, the same as everyone else floating through life. And the “final words” and the new title screen was such a perfect final note. I wanted to run outside and just high five everyone in sight.

I still can’t get over the fact that the final conflict and the end of the story involves literally fucking fighting against the end of the story.

Anyway. I had a couple little nitpicks here and there, the biggest one being that route C felt kind of rushed / thin considering the stuff that was going down (budget?), but overall this was a fantastic goddamn game, my quickest top 10 entry since Undertale. All said and done, I finished in just over 70 hours with the platinum, only saying uncle and buying the pod program trophy as I couldn’t stomach more than a couple hours of grinding for the last few parts (it seems that fishing will be Nier 1’s version of that grinding, lol). I still have to go read all that side material, too, I somehow haven’t yet gotten around to it.

Finally, I have an unfortunate tendency to go out and buy stupid shit when I really fall in love with something -

zOOlwZF.jpg

I super don’t read Japanese lol

tl;dr game is good i liked it or w/e i dunno

I need to know where you got that cup! :D

emag

Nier Automata is my GOTY and this is the year Persona 5 came out which I fucking loved. Now this selling well I hope Square give him more budget for next game.

My GotY so far as well, and I was LttP on a bunch of big name PS4 games as I only picked up the system this year. :)

Honestly, it's in my top ten of all time and one of the two I can recommend without nostalgia or reservations (Monument Valley being the other).

I'm just glad he got platinum to do automata, i've "finished" drakengard 3 and it's dlc recently and god damn, Nier:automata felt like a freakin naughty dog game after playing that

I hope he gets just a liiiittle bigger budget and platinum for his next one, the guy's got talent to make a masterpiece out of scraps... i think a triple A budget would make his games lose a bit of their charm since much of automata's strenghts lie on it's limitations(the overworld map size is juuust right, and the maps without textures were just beautiful)

I'm always concerned that a bigger budget might lead to bloat or unending [re]development. I don't know if Yoko Taro has the discipline to reign it in if he were given a mountain of cash and free reign (not a slight on him -- I honestly don't have any evidence one way or another).

I just hope P* ups their game a little bit. The combat in the game was not bad by any means, but I think P* could do a lot better. My biggest problem with the game is that the combat was good at best. I think there's still a lot of room for improvement there.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just hope P* ups their game a little bit. The combat in the game was not bad by any means, but I think P* could do a lot better. My biggest problem with the game is that the combat was good at best. I think there's still a lot of room for improvement there.

I think the combat itself is fantastic, the issue is difficulty and level balancing.

This video show biggest short coming in combat but at same time what makes the game soon good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3_DRX_Gm4

emag

I think the combat itself is fantastic, the issue is difficulty and level balancing.

This video show biggest short coming in combat but at same time what makes the game soon good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3_DRX_Gm4

Great vid.

I think the criticisms of the combat balancing are fair (i.e., that enemies significantly below your level are too weak and those significantly above your level are immune to stun; also that bosses are either set pieces or combo fodder), but as the reviewer notes, it doesn't really detract from the game as a whole.

I did a double take when near the end Vash says "games that could do no wrong... whilst these games typically entered our lives at an early age, I'm honestly grateful I could still have a game like this at 20 years old". I'm about double that age and there's nothing I've played since Final Fantasy IIe and Chrono Trigger (and maybe Klonoa) in the early/mid-1990s that's moved me the way Nier Automata did. And I'm a world-weary, media-savvy cynic with a family and a career now, not a wide-eyed, inexperienced child. I did think games were just silly little things; even if they had their moments, like Prince of Persia 2008's final sequence, the cutscenes from The Last of Us, or the humor of Tales for the Borderlands, those could be done just as well in other media. Nier Automata changed that.

I don't know if or when there will be another game that does rise to that level, but Nier Automata has definitely proved the potential of the medium.

longdi

Banned
I just managed to complete the game! That makes Nier 1 and 2, the only 2 games i played from start to end, for the past 6 years!

Toro is very under-rated in how he makes his games simply flow, from his over-world design to how little down time and to how he manages to keep tedium low. I have dropped many games into my backlog cos i got bored(not enough time) of the fractured progression.

I found Nier 1 ending reveal more impactful though. I think cos Nier 2 lore is less interesting and i also wasn't too convinced with 2B cycle of killing 9S, i also missed some quests like A2 backstory and 2E units.

However Ending E was really something! Its being awhile i got stun by a game! /bow

Btw which is the troll ending of Nier2, the one where Nier3 will be based on?

Oh i thought Emil was a homosexual towards Nier, so it was a bit weird he chose to remember Kaine or having no Nier memento...

Oh i thought Emil was a homosexual towards Nier, so it was a bit weird he chose to remember Kaine or having no Nier memento...
He was in love with nier but he could actually relate to Kaine. That speech he gives her when she's on the verge or death makes me think they had the stronger connection even if romanticly he looked up to and wanted to be with nier.

Well, didn't they forget him though?
Oh yeah and this seals it, lol. And I call my self a nier fan.

Antiwhippy

I just managed to complete the game! That makes Nier 1 and 2, the only 2 games i played from start to end, for the past 6 years!

Toro is very under-rated in how he makes his games simply flow, from his over-world design to how little down time and to how he manages to keep tedium low. I have dropped many games into my backlog cos i got bored(not enough time) of the fractured progression.

I found Nier 1 ending reveal more impactful though. I think cos Nier 2 lore is less interesting and i also wasn't too convinced with 2B cycle of killing 9S, i also missed some quests like A2 backstory and 2E units.

However Ending E was really something! Its being awhile i got stun by a game! /bow

Btw which is the troll ending of Nier2, the one where Nier3 will be based on?

I mean not remembering was the whole point. :p

darknil

Just finished up the game yesterday. Sacrificed the save to honor that Dave that helped me with the last bit of credits.

Fantastic game, could be my GOTY but I'll let it sink a bit more before saying this.

I'll be reading the lore linked above, thanks for that. I guess now I'm hungry for information, as far as I recall, the only side quests that I had pending were the races, the data analysis with the other S unit on the castle and the old world items, apart form finishing up leveling up some weapons.

Oh, and I also didn't get the Pascal store or Emil's weapon, so I kind of regret losing my save.

So I have one question I think in regard to the ending:
- What is the previous ending that connects with E? C or D?

In my mind I prefer ending C, the story made a lot more sense and I kinda hated 9S at the end.

Top Bottom