• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good detective/mystery visual novels?

Been playing Danganronpa V3 which I have really being enjoying despite, you know, certain things that I hate about it (not the ending, for those in the know, I actually liked the ending and thought it was an interesting angle). Since Kodaka is leaving and is looking for new writers (even overseas, too, GAF get on this shit and write some waifus) according to his Twitter and there's therefore going to be a long wait till the inevitable next DR game because it's just getting to be popular now, I do really want to play a really good visual novel that's mystery/detective themed(I have heard of Phoenix Wright, I do want to try it but I don't have a 3DS), and might pick up a Vita for on the go gaming and visual novels.

Plus points too, though obviously not a requirement if it actually has (DR V3 Spoilers, don't read if you haven't played)
a female protagonist that you play as for most of/the whole game, I was looking forward to seeing some interesting character interactions between the rest of the V3 cast and a cute pianist chick, lol, then boom, chapter 1 fridge death just to develop the actual MC, such a bummer cause I was really looking forward to playing as Kaede, maybe in inevitable sequel we'll get one this time, Shuichi wasn't bad but I really would have liked him a lot more if there was no MC switch
. Been browsing some threads and I heard Collar x Malice for the Vita was pretty good too, and the whole detective mystery story it has seems right up my alley after playing Danganronpa back to back this year. Probably loads more, actually. Also, is the Zero Escape series good? It was made by Spike Chunsoft as well, so, awesome.

Zalman

You should really consider getting that 3DS. That way you can play Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick, two of the finest visual novels out there.

I have to give a shoutout to Higurashi and Umineko. Higurashi is a pretty incredible little murder mystery that has a bit too much slice of life at times, but it manages to be really creepy and engaging all the way up to the final episode. I love it to bits. Umineko is a sequel, and although you can play it by itself, I highly recommend going through Higurashi first. Try to go into them as blindly as possible if they seem like something you'd be into.

Zweizer

Banned
I'll second Umineko, though it's unusual in that the concept of mystery itself is a big plot point to the series.

The music is also amazing.

There are three Ace Attorney games on Android.

But I say ignore them and get a 3DS and play through the series in proper order.

There are three Ace Attorney games on Android.

But I say ignore them and get a 3DS and play through the series in proper order.

I own a 3DS and always wanted to try out the series. What games should I get? Where should I start? I live in Europe if that matters.

Another Code R: A Journey Into Lost Memories (Wii) is a really, really obscure one that is almost a non-factor even in discussions like these usually considering how few people bought it, but it deserves a mention and deserves to be played overall. It lacks action almost entirely and can get very slow particularly with some contrived and forced puzzles but it tells a really touching and fascinating story that eloquently ties together several mysteries, told through the perspective of a teenage girl who is not sexualised. A novel thing in this genre.

Bear in mind it's a sequel to a DS game and the game does assume that you played the DS game but I didn't play it and still enjoyed the Wii game.

Oh and Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick are obviously must plays too.

The zero escape franchise is fantastic. Definitely recommended if you enjoy danganronpa. There are also a lot of references to danganronpa in the franchise (vice versa as well).

You get can the nonary collection on PS4/PSvita now, if you don't have a DS. Zero time dilemma, the 3rd game, isn't included in the collection so you'll have to buy that one separately. It's also available on PSvita/PS4.

I'm a big fan of both franchises but personally, Zero escape takes the cake. The trilogy as a whole is just a flat out masterpiece.

I own a 3DS and always wanted to try out the series. What games should I get? Where should I start? I live in Europe if that matters.

Pick up the original trilogy. Apollo Justice is coming soon (November, I think) so you can pick that up then, followed by Dual Destinies, and then Spirit of Justice.

Lusankya

Check here for a timeline of the release years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney
Play the games in order of release!

The first three games can be bought individually for the NDS (plays on your 3DS), which could be quite expensive, though. Or you buy the "HD" Trilogy for the 3DS which is probably the most convenient way to start with the series.

Apollo Justice is the fourth game and start of the second trilogy. There will be an HD version release for the 3DS next month, so you should wait for that.

Btw. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 has a fantastic fan translation AND is one of the best entries in the series. In general don't dismiss the spin-offs. Even for Dai Gyakuten Saiban there is at least a translated Youtube series to follow.

Fat4all

Banned

On the 3DS there’s a collection called Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy.

That’s the first three games, they’ll last you a while.

I think it’s downloadable only.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

AA, AA: Justice for All, AA: Trials and Tribulations. It's a trilogy with an overarching plot, so you might want to play it in this order

As everyone else is saying, Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape are both amazing. Wasn't that big a fan of Danganronpa myself (though I haven't played 3), and I think it might have just been because I played PW and ZE first.

EDIT:
Also I almost forgot, but GHOST TRICK.

GRW810

Hotel Dusk and its sequel, Last Window, are great little games on the DS. Wish Cinq had survived to make a third game in the series.

Kyougar

I have to give a shoutout to Higurashi and Umineko. Higurashi is a pretty incredible little murder mystery that has a bit too much slice of life at times, but it manages to be really creepy and engaging all the way up to the final episode. I love it to bits. Umineko is a sequel, and although you can play it by itself, I highly recommend going through Higurashi first. Try to go into them as blindly as possible if they seem like something you'd be into.

I'll second that. Although, Umineko had an unsatisfying ending.

Also, I would recommend Ever 17. My favorite Visual Novel of all time.

Ctlead

Banned
999 and Virtue's Last Reward (Zero Escape) are incredible. Highly recommend experiencing them.

It's up to you if you wish to play Zero Time Dilemma after.

Durante

Yep, both of these.

Eila

You should unravel the mystery of the Bible Black.
Maybe Detective Grimoire if you're not feeling so adventorous. It's pretty short, so there's that.

Check here for a timeline of the release years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Attorney

The first three games can be bought individually for the NDS (plays on your 3DS), which could be quite expensive, though. Or you buy the "HD" Trilogy for the 3DS which is probably the most convenient way to start with the series.

Apollo Justice is the fourth game and start of the second trilogy. There will be an HD version release for the 3DS next month, so you should wait for that.

Btw. Ace Attorney Investigations 2 has a fantastic fan translation AND is one of the best entries in the series. In general don't dismiss the spin-offs. Even for Dai Gyakuten Saiban there is at least a translated Youtube series to follow.

Are there any minigames in Ace Attorney, and if so what are they like? The minigames were the most irritating part about Danganronpa, ESPECIALLY Psyche Taxi and Hangman's Gambit.

Wireframe

I'd recommend the science adventure series and the KID games (ever 17 etc.) for PC the latter series were written by Kotaro Uchikoshi, (zero escape writer).

Sho Nuff

Banned
JAKE HUNTER: MEMORIES OF THE PAST FOR DS!

It's actually kind of shitty but I always wanted to play one of those games after seeing them in every Japanese used game store ever

Munti

I don`t have many experience with mystery/detective games but I can really recommend Hotel Dusk and Ghost Trick although they are more adventure/puzzle games then visual novels.

Maybe Life is Strange could also interest you. It has elements of mystery and detective in it.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick are great.

Ace Attorney 3 (Trials and Tribulations) is still one my favorite games of all time.

You should buy Ace Attorney Trilogy on the eShop, which includes the first three games for 30€.

Each game has a self-contained story, but it's best if you start with AA1, since the characters are introduced and developed gradually throughout the series (plus it's a fantastic game). Every game is available worldwide except for three spin-offs that never left Japan, sadly.

Burnburn

My personal favourite detective VN is Kara no Shoujo. However it's really different than Danganronpa. It's way more VN and the detective parts are point and click. It also has (really unnecesarry) hentai scenes, so if that bothers you dont go for it. It's a really bitter pill to swallow gameplay wise, but the story is so damn good it makes up for it big time.

RRockman

Banned
Root Double if the Vita version ever comes out. It has dethroned all of ZE and Ever 17 as my favorite VN. You will trip balls at least THREE TIMES throughout the story as you pieces things together.

Best part is that no character is shafted for the sake of any twist. All of the main cast are fleshed out in a fantastic fashion.

Dad

Are there any minigames in Ace Attorney, and if so what are they like? The minigames were the most irritating part about Danganronpa, ESPECIALLY Psyche Taxi and Hangman's Gambit.
The only similar mechanic Ace Attorney has is Nonstop Debate. Even then, there isn't a timer and you use evidence to point out contradictions rather than just pointing out wrong statements. AA's trials are leagues better than Danganronpa's from a mechanical perspective

Kneefoil

About half the Ace Attorney games come highly recommended, as do the Zero Escape games (999 at least). Hotel Dusk and Last Window are pretty good too.

Ghost Trick is also a fantastic game, but I wouldn't call it a visual novel, tbh. It has a great story, but it's a puzzle game a lot more than anything else.

Flandy

Nah the gameplay is basically danganronpa without the mini games. It’s split into investigation and trial portions just like danganronpa

Zero Escape is sublime, GOAT material for two games but the last game Zero Time Dilemma shat the bed so hard I'm now stone cold on the series.

Umineko is incredible in every way but only the first half is localized so far (the second half, Umineko Chiru, is in testing).

ZeroX03

Banned
Ace Attorney is fantastic, the trilogy is like 60 hours of extremely good storytelling. Better and more grounded than Danganronpa*. Also your characters don’t get killed and there’s no mini games.

It’s come up a few times thanks to Happy Death Day, but I remember quite liking Shadow of Memories/Destiny.

*spirit channeling aside, but the game always kept a pretty tight internal logic and most cases work outside of it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hotel Dusk and Last Window are two games I will forever recommend to any fan of the genre.

Really sad we'll never get a third game.

grim-tales

BIB: Do you know if it will add anything besides HD/redrawn graphics, so its worth buying? (I have the DS original, myself).
Eg when PW:AA was released on DS there was an extra case added from the GBA version.
As for DGS, I'd given up hope of that one being localised, is it best to "watch" it on Youtube?

Top Bottom