• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: The Evil Within 2 sells 75% less than first game (physically) at launch

eXistor

Sad, but fully expected. I don't think I've ever seen the game properly marketed. I think a lot of people disliked the first game, so they're right out and what remains is fans of the first. I can imagine lots of people waiting on a pricedrop as well.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

philm87

Games go on sale too quickly here, in a month it'll be half the price.

Most people I know here in the UK now either wait for a sale or just rent games now.

Agreed. Also so many good games released this year, people probably have plenty to play. I still haven't gotten round to playing Nioh yet.

Jawmuncher

All my friends bought it digital /s

Looking at the steamspy chart it’s down there to compares to the original. So most likely it’s down across the board. The lack of marketing and no hype this time around did a number on it.

I honestly would not be surprised if we don’t see another. Considering people were unsure about Dishonoered and Prey which still sold more than this (even if still under expectations)

NHale

People need to start realizing that the market is very different than it was 3 years ago. Right now every game releasing this week is not only competing with the games launching this week and a couple of weeks after, but also the games launched a couple of months before, because most games try to keep you engaged "forever". The days of getting a game, play it for 2 weeks and trading it for a new one are becoming a thing of the past. Unfortunately market contraction will happen and we are going to start having less games (or more mid-tier AAA games).

Every sports game has a mode to try to keep you playing (and spending money) until a new one releases, multiplayer games have modes and systems that reward you if you keep playing (GTA Online, BF Premium, COD Season Pass/missions, Overwatch timed events and loot boxes, PUBG), add that games like Destiny that are designed for you to keep grinding and keep you engaged in the universe to spend money on next expansions. Time is the key factor, and the market is becoming saturated with games that demand your time, which makes your time very limited unless you don't play those kind of games. That's why some games are not selling at the rate they did before, and unfortunately it's only going to become even worse when Battle Royale type games are released from every publisher in the market.

Then add up the fact that a lot of people are now aware that games like this will be heavily discounted before the end of the year (even on digital stores). If you already don't have a lot of time to play, then you can easily just wait 6 weeks to get the same game for -40% or less...

Surfside

Banned
All of Bethesdas games underperforming. I hope they don't stop making singleplayer games. With the exception of TES and Fallout, they haven't really had any successes. Well, Doom probably was a modest success.

But other than that, it looks pretty bad.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As it still reached #3 in 2 days I say that it's more of Sales in general are down and are very poor this week in the UK then it being anything to do with the game, I mean how low was everything else?
hopefully Sales do pick up as it's more deserving of sales than other recent games in the genre, not that that did well either, but atleast TEW2 isn't the only game.
The 3 spot is still good.

lol at people talking about the game as if anything else would have done better this week in 2 days, oh yeah they didn't.

Jawmuncher

As it still reached #3 in 2 days I say that it's more of Sales in general are down and are very poor this week in the UK then it being anything to do with the game, I mean how low was everything else?
hopefully Sales do pick up as it's more deserving of sales than other recent games in the genre, not that that did well either, but atleast TEW2 isn't the only game.
The 3 spot is still good.

It’ll depend. Lately the UK has basically been a signal of what to expect in the US. Very rarely does a games sales being down in the uk equalhuge big sales here in the US

People here talking about price drops and I'd say that's definitely a factor. Some prices for late-2016 and 2017 games on Amazon (PS4) right now:

- Prey: £18.99
- Dishonored 2: £9.49
- FFXV: £23.49
- Resi 7: £21.76 (but has been as low as £15)
- Agents of Mayhem: £24.09
- Watch Dogs 2: £21.85

It seems that the only games that are holding their value past a few months this year are Nintendo games (ofc) and the more niche Japanese titles (Persona, Ni-Oh, etc). If one can buy TEW2 for near half price just by waiting until after Christmas there's a high chance they will. I know I'm waiting for it to drop in price.

Now this isn't a massive factor, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely one of many and points to an issue with games holding their value over time.

When haven't older games been sold for less?

I checked these games on US and other European amazon sites. they're all half price of the launch price.

Also Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 and many more had lower launches in the US and UK and most likely everywhere else.

Destiny 2 had a huge drop in the US, UK gave us clear indication of this trend. it had sweet fuck all to do with anything else.

Digital piracy of the PC version of a game affects the physical sales of the console versions of a game how exactly...?

Because let's be real: physical on PC is a non-factor these days. This thread is about console sales. And I'm really squeezing my brain to see how the lack of Denuvo affects those numbers.

Ok, seems like I shouldn't have mentioned it?

I was making a general commentary about what could hurt the game, not just physical copies. Probably should've made that clear.

Normally I don't care for piracy but when you have a big release DRM free and available at launch day there's bound to be some people who pirate it just out of hype, then remains to be seen whether they end up buying it or not regardless of their initial intention. Negligible, I know, but still there it is.

TannerDemoz

Expected? Let's be honest, in the run up to the first game we were all expecting the next Resident Evil 4/ rebirth of survival horror. Evil Within was far from it.

Glad to see this one reviewing so well though. Unfortunately I've not seen much in terms of marketing and it's been released at the very start of a busy month far too close to holiday season. I reckon a lot of people are waiting for the (probably inevitable) price drop.

Zojirushi

I dunno man, but it's weird. Practically every sequel is down. COD has been dropping off. Most big MS sequels have dropped off. Destiny has dropped off. I'm not sure about big EA releases. I think Ubisoft is doing generally okay, although wouldn't be surprised to see South Park underperform. I think Uncharted 4 did well, Forza Horizon 3 has had the most incredible legs, but on the whole the retail market seems to be in a really bad place.

I don't know overall figures but could this simply be a case of many games coming out so the pie is split into more and smaller pieces?

Or are total retail sales down compared to previous years?

TGO

It’ll depend. Lately the UK has basically been a signal of what to expect in the US. Very rarely does a games sales being down in the uk equalhuge big sales here in the US
Yeah but we're not talking low sales and entering at #37, it entered at Number 3 with those numbers, it obvious no one gave a shit this week about any game.

Scrawnton

I bought the first one physically on PS4. Bought this one day one on Steam. Not excusing the poor sales but man this game is amazing and I wish Bethesda would’ve got behind it more.

Yeah but we're not talking low sales and entering at #37, it entered at Number 3 with those numbers, it obvious no one gave a shit this week about any game.

Because there were only two new releases last week. Shadow of War, which did good. And The Evil Within 2, which fell 75%.

The spot on the chart means little when all TEW2 is beating is old releases.

Fetch quests, minimap icon hunting gallore (it doesn't matter that you can turn them off - the game is still designed around them), constant looting for instant gratification and redundant "crafting" that doesn't feel natural, arbitrary map design, repeating locations (i.e. houses) and events that feel copy-pasted. It's more blatant after we had an actual well designed survival horror game like Resident Evil 7 this year, which highlights the difference between careful level design and this collection of AAA tropes.

Alienfan

I can't help but feel AAA Single player games are on their way out. This would be Bethesda's 3rd big single player game in a row to bomb.

Ertai

Something very important to know:

The Evil Within launched on october 14th in 2014, a tuesday.

The Evil Within 2 launched on october 13th in 2017, a friday.

It was pretty much a given it was going to sell less in the first week considering the first had more days of sale

Shredderi

0 marketing + packed month.

Bethesda/Zenimax must knew this was gonna happen or else they need to get their shit together.

Of course they knew. Fucking I knew and I don't work for them. Anyone with half a brain saw this coming. So if we saw it coming you can bet your ass their marketing teams and analysts (who get paid and are educated) saw this coming. so why do they still let this happen? Perhaps they have a few Games-as-service- concepts brewing and they need these SP games to tank so they can justify going full-GAAS to their teams. "These kinds of games just don't sell". I mean it's either that or they have maybe the worst marketing team in the whole gaming industry, since they don't learn from Dishonored 2, they don't learn from Prey.

SomTervo

It's not as good as the first game.

IMO it's twice as good. TEW1 was a decent 7/10 for me, TEW2 is looking like a 9/10 at least.

Let's hope that builds sales over the coming months to a healthy number.

Normally I don't care for piracy but when you have a big release DRM free and available at launch day there's bound to be some people who pirate it just out of hype, then remains to be seen whether they end up buying it or not regardless of their initial intention. Negligible, I know, but still there it is.

Large scale research literally just indicated (in the last few weeks) that on PC there's not a huge impact on sales via piracy. It seems there could be truth to the 'pirate it as a demo, if you like it buy it' narrative.

Elfstar

Not surprising for a non-open world, single player-only linear game, that received "just" good reviews and a barely decent marketing campaign.

The first one had way more exposure since it came out when Ps4 and Xbox One had way less games to choose from and people were starving for next gen games.

philm87

It was pretty much a given it was going to sell less in the first week considering the first had more days of sale

Dude's got a good point here.

SomTervo

All of Bethesdas games underperforming. I hope they don't stop making singleplayer games. With the exception of TES and Fallout, they haven't really had any successes. Well, Doom probably was a modest success.

There is a pretty clear link that they stopped sending out review copies, though?

In general they just don't seem to be promoting shit at all.

In the UK things have always released on Friday and AFAIK it's never made much of a difference.

I don't really understand your point here. Do we know that things sell more if released on a Tuesday?

Or is the point that we're comparing Friday-Monday sales rather than Friday-Friday sales?

The latter makes sense - i.e. this is only three days' worth of data.

krumble

As a (Lord) British, can confirm that nobody wants to buy at retail anymore. Your options are basically GAME or CEX. CEX is manifestly cheaper, stocks more and doesn't try to powersell you a bunch of shit. Also it isn't staffed by people who think you want their opinion on your purchases. If I could strike GAME from the face of the earth, I would (after securing jobs for its many staff, natch).

Completely agree, must be at least 10 years since I bought a game at U.K. Retail and I buy around 2 - 4 games a month, used to buy much more, but these next few weeks Mario will take my money, and even then that's Amazon digital sale

Large scale research literally just indicated (in the last few weeks) that on PC there's not a huge impact on sales via piracy. It seems there could be truth to the 'pirate it as a demo, if you like it buy it' narrative.
Nice, thanks for the heads up. I'd love the game to do well so that's good news.

philm87

I don't really understand your point here. Do we know that things sell more if released on a Tuesday?

Or is the point that we're comparing Friday-Monday sales rather than Friday-Friday sales?

He means the latter. Think this needs to wait until week 2 sales to see where it's at.

This was my first thought as well. I'm not sold this game will "fail" based off 2 days of physical sales in the UK only. People are jumping the gun here

kc44135

So, does this make a bomba Black Friday price pretty likely, then?

They should really have sought to put the first game on PS+ in august/september, as a lead-in.
Yeah, this probably would've been a good idea. Peeps could've seen how amazing the first game was then.

How did Wolfenstein: The New Order do, out of curiosity?

myco666

Fetch quests, minimap icon hunting gallore (it doesn't matter that you can turn them off - the game is still designed around them), constant looting for instant gratification and redundant "crafting" that doesn't feel natural, arbitrary map design, repeating locations (i.e. houses) and events that feel copy-pasted. It's more blatant after we had an actual well designed survival horror game like Resident Evil 7 this year, which highlights the difference between careful level design and this collection of AAA tropes.

And RE7 didnt have fetch quests, repeating locations, constant looting and redundant crafting?

SomTervo

Not surprising for a non-open world, single player-only linear game, that received "just" good reviews and a barely decent marketing campaign.

The first one had way more exposure since it came out when Ps4 and Xbox One had way less games to choose from and people were starving for next gen games.

It is open world.

And while the critical response has been strong (80 console on Metacritic and 83 PC) the user response has been very strong. 92% positive reviews on Steam and 8.6 user reviews on Metacritic (this was 9.5 yesterday, I think PC performance reviews may have brought it down).

True that the market is much more crowded atm though and that Bethesda seem to be intentionally dropping all marketing.

philm87

Maybe people have been bitten too often by pre-ordering. Why pay more for an incomplete buggy game when you can pay less later on for a complete and patched game?

Ertai

Yeah, the latter. They really wanted the game to launch on friday the 13th for obvious reasons and as such the data of the first week isn't comparable. It can end up selling less but -75% based on 2 days of sale vs 4 days is just a sensationalist headline. Reviews in general are positive as they come out so i wouldn't be surprised if it ends up decent saleswise.

MidnightWatcher

Neo Member
Sad but expected.

And what's up with the UK? seems like they are losing interest in gaming :(

Most people haven't had a pay rise in seven years, a lot of jobs for the younger age bracket that buy games, are minimum wage and inflation rises every year, so that needs most people have had a pay cut. Rent is super expensive pretty much everywhere and food prices continue to rise.

We would love to buy more games, we just don't have the money.

Elfstar

It is open world.

And while the critical response has been strong (80 console on Metacritic and 83 PC) the user response has been very strong. 92% positive reviews on Steam and 8.6 user reviews on Metacritic (this was 9.5 yesterday, I think PC performance reviews may have brought it down).

True that the market is much more crowded atm though and that Bethesda seem to be intentionally dropping all marketing.

Does anyone that didn't play it know that it's an open world game or it's just me?

TGO

Maybe people have been bitten too often by pre-ordering. Why pay more for an incomplete buggy game when you can pay less later on for a complete and patched game?
But the game isn't buggy, needs the FOV fixing when aiming but it runs fine.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Retail is dying in the UK. Time to start pricing digital games aggressively.

It's so annoying to be sitting waiting on digital sales for games that I'd happily pay the physical price for.

philm87

I'm pretty sure I saw maybe 4-5 TV adverts for this, was it while American Horror Story was on?.... Anyway there has definitely been advertising.

Yeah, the advertising appeared to be very orientated around the horror genre. Saw it before 2 horror films in an Odeon cinema as well.

And RE7 didnt have fetch quests, repeating locations, constant looting and redundant crafting?

RE7 has a carefully designed map, in which every enemy-, item- and puzzle placement feels thoroughly planned out. TEW2's map feels like I'm playing any Ubisoft open world game. It's just some slightly bigger space with arbitrary loot and enemies in it, while I'm running from minimap icon to minimap icon. I mean, I definitely wanted exploration compared to TEW1, which was underwhelming for different reasons. But they chose the most shallow way of achieving that.

Top Bottom