• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Crayolan

As an American, my first 2 or so months here I was really thrown off by how much coinage there was, so I was mainly just using bills. I found myself running out of cash really quick and when I finally sat down and counted exactly how much change I had I realized it was well over 10k yen, at which point I started using my coins appropriately.

At that point I probably already had a few hundred 1 yen but even now I don't use 1/5 yen that often since it feels kinda rude to use them for anything other than to make exact change for the last 1-9 yen of a purchase. Also vending machines and the like don't take them.

Will do

May16

So the immigration office local to me has boneheads who always give us a hard time (seriously, I had to show the officer how to read official tax paperwork last year!) and -- I've confirmed with other foreigners round here -- seems to issue almost exclusively one-year visas these days.

I've been here for eight years but I keep getting one-year visas, despite having had a three-year visa before, and despite income going UP every year, and despite my employment not changing. I'm text-book long visa material according to every website, but these guys have no idea how to do their jobs.

My question is: is it cool (legal + not frowned upon) to go to another immigration office? I'm in Shikoku, so there's not another one super close by, but I could possibly hop across the pond to Kobe or Osaka. There's be some travel involved, but I could do it, so long as it's legal and not looked down upon.

Anyone have any experience or input into this? Google's giving me nothing.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If youre on shikoku then the takamatsu one hands out 3 years like candy. you can apply to any of the offices.

Are you on yearly contracts? Married? Kids? Own a house?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That was easy. Not that you cant get a 3 year but theyre not obligated to give you one. Which prefecture

I'm an expert

Dang, which one is the strike against?

Better question is which one do you think is a plus for establishing your permanence here. But again, office and agent matter. Komatsushima is not as generous as Takamatsu.

And yeah..got a McDs in my station so this will be easy gym capturin.

Mecha

As an American, my first 2 or so months here I was really thrown off by how much coinage there was, so I was mainly just using bills. I found myself running out of cash really quick and when I finally sat down and counted exactly how much change I had I realized it was well over 10k yen, at which point I started using my coins appropriately.

At that point I probably already had a few hundred 1 yen but even now I don't use 1/5 yen that often since it feels kinda rude to use them for anything other than to make exact change for the last 1-9 yen of a purchase. Also vending machines and the like don't take them.

Will do

Which one of you posted this to /r/japancirclejerk?

urfe

Better question is which one do you think is a plus for establishing your permanence here. But again, office and agent matter. Komatsushima is not as generous as Takamatsu.

And yeah..got a McDs in my station so this will be easy gym capturin.

I've got three years with less.

They've been getting stricter in Shinagawa too. (I do HR for foreigners)

I'm an expert

I've got three years with less.

They've been getting stricter in Shinagawa too. (I do HR for foreigners)

There are 22 year old kids with nothing to their name that get 3, buy having a young person spend their prime years contributing to the economy is one thing. Having someone who has almost been here a decade who has no real permanence here after all that time is why theyre probably wary. Or the office he deals with just doesnt like him. The kansai offices in general are better than kantou either way. And hes on Shikoku, you can walk into three of them there and all of them are empty or maybe have 5 people max, compared to the shit shows at all of the 'major' ones.

Anyway, back to my saikyo.

urfe

There are 22 year old kids with nothing to their name that get 3, buy having a young person spend their prime years contributing to the economy is one thing. Having someone who has almost been here a decade who has no real permanence here after all that time is why theyre probably wary. Or the office he deals with just doesnt like him. The kansai offices in general are better than kantou either way. And hes on Shikoku, you can walk into three of them there and all of them are empty or maybe have 5 people max, compared to the shit shows at all of the 'major' ones.

Anyway, back to my saikyo.

As an aside, I've never heard of an English teacher who has been here over ten years be turned down for PR/永住権.

My only theory for visa lengths is that the individual officer has the ability to make a judgement call, and can think as you mention above. They can ask for more documentation, or anything really and as it's technically among the forms they can request, one needs to oblige.

I'm going on a Gunkanjima tour today. I'm excited. ^_^

I'm an expert

Hearthstone..tsumtsum..pazudora..mahjong..no pokemon go in sight.

I'm an expert

Ive been reading that sub for almost a year and gaf has been mentioned/linked plenty of times. Gaf itself is lurked by tons of unregistered people. I dont think anyone here would bother doing that. In case you were being dumb and implying me, ive never made a reddit account. Took 10 seconds to look at the poster's history and see he spells words like color wrong so, as usual, its some clown from a queen worshipping country. In which case its probably fuckin resilient since he has nothing better to do after failing jlpt.

Aizo

Banned
I recently started dating a Japanese girl and need advice, would this be a good place to ask?
Depends on the advice you want, but this may go South for you (this is not a euphemism implying sexual satisfaction in the future of your relationship).

Darksol

Apparently everyone decided that a Wednesday afternoon was the perfect time to go to Shinagawa and attend to all of their 在留資格 needs.

I've been here two hours and it looks like I'll be here another two until I can pay the fee to extend my visa and get the hell out of here :/

I'm an expert

Didnt you just get here..and why wouldnt you just go to saitama-shi

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Apparently everyone decided that a Wednesday afternoon was the perfect time to go to Shinagawa and attend to all of their 在留資格 needs.

I've been here two hours and it looks like I'll be here another two until I can pay the fee to extend my visa and get the hell out of here :/
Going to the immigration office at any time later than 8:30 is crazy imo. So far I only had to extend once, because my previous visas were taken care of in the country/by my company, but both times I went there I was able to make it to work before 10:00.

Guru-Guru

Banned

Rough homie. Took me under 10 mins, though I got it done in a town of 200k people, not Tokyo.

Darksol

Finally done!

Didnt you just get here..and why wouldnt you just go to saitama-shi

I'm on a working holiday and Canadians only get an initial six months before having to pay 4000 yen to get the other six months. Next year I'll be switching to a proper working visa. As for why not Saitama, I was already going to be in Shinagawa today anyways.

Going to the immigration office at any time later than 8:30 is crazy imo. So far I only had to extend once, because my previous visas were taken care of in the country/by my company, but both times I went there I was able to make it to work before 10:00.

That's been my experience so far. I've had good luck with government buildings and other administrative stuff so far, but today was just slow as molasses.

Rough homie. Took me under 10 mins, though I got it done in a town of 200k people, not Tokyo.

Nice!

Resilient

That fool donezo. The truth of alt life was too stronk for him.

yeah what happened to him? did he check out?

all you guys hanging out for Pokemon. here are the protips.

don't put any ほしのすな into any early game Pokemon. Ratata, Pidgey, Zubat - don't waste your time. they stink. focus on catching everything you see early to level up your trainer. evolve as many Pidgey as you can for the exp. once you level up your trainer to level 12-15, you'll be able to find higher CP pokemon in the wild. that's key.

go to parks, rivers, key areas that will have lots of Pokestops (that you can do a loop of easily) and decent mid-game pokemon (slowbro, psyduck for their evo).

get an Eevee evo as soon as you can. Vaporeon is best.

only dedicate time and levelling to pokemon that are XL in weight and height. those will always be stronger.

don't level anything with a shit base move. anything less than 10 is bad.

here are the pokemon you want to get to put in gyms midgame.

Slowbro
Golduck
Vaporeon/Flareon/Jolteon
Tangela

lategame? you want

Snorlax (from eggs, or finding)
Lapras (same as Snorlax)
high level Vaporeon

don't put any money into it.

I'm an expert

why are you using shitty english names.. no one understands wtf a snorlax is

Resilient

the game only rocks up in Jap if your iPhone is set to Japanese in the base settings. i don't know how many people have that running. i don't have android so dunno how that works. and lets be real, you played pokemon in the 90s when you were a greasy weeb, not in the last 5 years in Japan. not much has changed since then.

also, spend money if you need, but only buy incubators ふかそうち + or exp eggs しあわせタマゴ

JulianImp

I don't know were to post this but I need your help guys.

I'm stuck at this rhythm game because I don't understand what is required from me.

Can someone translate this please:

http://imgur.com/a/ytSIG

Let me give it a try:
Alright, let’s do it!
Huh?
Nod
Go back to practice (mode?) after listening to an explanation

It looks like you&#8217;ve got the hang of <kime> (?) and rhythm, huh.
&#8230;Alright, I&#8217;ll explain them to you!

First, ??? rhythm (sorry, don&#8217;t know the kanji here)

Once the rhythm begins, repeat it quickly.

Keep repeating it while following the music as closely as possible. No restin&#8217;!

Once everyone stops moving it&#8217;s <kime> time.
Stop the rhythm, and ??? the <kime> (same kanji as before)

That&#8217;s when things really get going, so keep up with it as best as you can!

After <kime>, rhythm starts again.&#8230;That&#8217;s the pattern.

I think the issue here is you should be slecting &#12358;&#12394;&#12378;&#12367;, but the cursor is on the "explain things and then go practice".

Top Bottom