• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 35: Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers |OT| Forever in Fiji

Jessica reminds me so much of Neleh. I hope she dumps Cole soon though as hes gonna kill her game.

Probably the best episode of the season. It is shaping up to be decent.

Kaizer

Banned
Holy hell at that "disadvantage" advantage, that was great. That's the first time they've had one of those right?

Kaizer

Banned
Yeah, they've had "penalize player X" before, but never done it like that where it's an anonymous bomb drop.

Yeah I guess that's what I meant as far as a presumed advantage a player picks up only to later find out the show itself is screwing them over lol

_Nemo

Fucking hell, Alan was one of my favorites, this bums me out almost as much as seeing Tony and Malcolm go out early last season.

I really hate Tribal Councils where it comes down to a 50/50 flip a coin scenario like this of guessing who has the idol. Everything about that just blows.

ironmang

Nah healers couldn’t trust them. They’d have to use their idol anyway.

Am I misunderstanding the rules or something? I know they flipped them back and forth the past couple seasons as far as ties go. Devon didn't have a vote so they'd just tie then go to rocks unless they voted him out right? Don't see why they'd be willing to draw rocks for some guy they have no history with.

kirblar

Am I misunderstanding the rules or something? I know they flipped them back and forth the past couple seasons as far as ties go. Devon didn't have a vote so they'd just tie then go to rocks unless they voted him out right? Don't see why they'd be willing to draw rocks for some guy they have no history with.
The "no ties" rule is dead, it ended up a 1-time experiment that just made people play more conservatively.

FTC change is permanent. There's also rumored to be another format change later this season. (gameboard spoiler, not results.)

No that’s true. But you couldn’t guarantee it would go that way. They might be that crazy. Not worth the risk.

ironmang

No that’s true. But you couldn’t guarantee it would go that way. They might be that crazy. Not worth the risk.

I actually don't see the risk at all lol. It's 2v2 so they either vote Devon, flip on each other, or draw rocks. Seems like "vote out the physical threat that none of us really know" seems like the easy decision for everybody involved.

Tevious

So much of the edit is focused on Ryan. I think he's either going to win this/make it to final tribal, or at the very least he will be part of some big game changing play/event like Tai in his season.

So much of the edit is focused on Ryan. I think he's either going to win this/make it to final tribal, or at the very least he will be part of some big game changing play/event like Tai in his season.

Yeah, he could be this season's Tai or on the flip side, David from MvGX. Also getting a lot of screen time are Ali, Chrissy, and Ben. However, after this episode, I don't see Ali, Ryan, and Chrissy co-existing for long. I forsee one going out fairly soon, but not sure which.

Dr. Mike had a strong first episode before going silent, but now that he's found an idol we could see more of him. Probst even talked him up in a recent interview about this season going forward.

And Joe has had a good amount of screen time, but I find it hard to believe he can make a deep run with his flashy and aggressive gameplay thus far, combined with living in Tony's shadow (whether he likes it or not.)

I'm enjoying the season so far, and glad to have OT back up to discuss it again. I wonder who is left here to discuss it? I peeked at ResetEra and noticed they put a thread up the night of this week's episode. Glad we'll be back to discussing live during the next one.

A whole episode came and went without a post for days.

Now we need new gaffers to get into Survivor. :(

It's beyond reality TV. Old seasons available on Hulu and Amazon. Could point people in the right direction of quality seasons if interested.

--

On topic. This past Wednesday's episode was rough.
Ali----
's boot was rough. Makes sense as
the show historically edits a pre-merge complex personality boot as a blindside for the audience
. I have a feeling we will see this player again. Am I the only one that feels like they've edited pre-merge boots better than other recent seasons? Even including Patrick. Could be setting up for another Second Chances at some point.

I feel like Ryan, Chrissy, Ben, and Mike are really well set-up going forward and have decent numbers to make it far in the game. I'm seeing a lot of hate for Ryan and Chrissy online right now, but I'm really enjoying their do what it takes persistence. They're a cool unlikely duo I think will leave a mark on the season.

bigedole

After MvGX, I'm hesitant to read too much into the editing that obviously isn't conforming to the show's historical norms for newbie seasons. Pretty much everyone has some kind of a black mark against them at this point and that makes it hard to really rule out anyone but Cole, in my opinion. Even Joe has a chance! I don't think Ali was a surprise boot really, but the editors did a good job trying to make it one. After the Roark vote and Ali attacking Ryan over it in the aftermath, she was gone the moment their tribe lost the immunity challenge. She kept focusing on how she couldn't trust Ryan and work with him anymore, but I think she lost sight of the fact that her reaction showed there was no path forward for Ryan to work with her either, and that kind of sealed her fate when they lost.

I have a really hard time picking a final 3 based on what we know. Lots of interesting players, and the only ones I'd be miffed about going far are Jessica (for being so naive) and Cole (for doing Cole things). This has been a pretty fun season so far overall! I think the decision to never go back to 2 tribes was a great one, there're a lot of connections between the various players and it's very hard to predict how it's going to all play out I think.

t-storm

Please tell me they were a bitter jury. I didn’t get to watching it yet but if I know it was a bitter one, it will sustain me.

MBison

Please tell me they were a bitter jury. I didn’t get to watching it yet but if I know it was a bitter one, it will sustain me.

It wasn't actually. The game is now filled with fishy production twists that are geared to helping whomever they want to see win.

It wasn't actually. The game is now filled with fishy production twists that are geared to helping whomever they want to see win.

That twist was built into this season before it started, and was revealed before production knew Ben would absolutely need it. He was one upside down U away from winning the final immunity challenge, and then it would have probably come down to fire between Devon and Chrissy.

I actually love the twist, but I do agree the castaways should have known about it from the very beginning. It sounds like the twist is back for Ghost Island, and hopefully those contestants are made aware of it at the start of the game.

Going to fire in the finale has always made for great TV, even when the two contestants can't make fire (Becky & Sundra/Rodney & Carolyn). And so many "robbed" fourth (or third in old school seasons) place "best to never win" finishers like Rob C., Jonny Fairplay, Malcom, David, etc. would have benefitted from this twist getting a chance to argue why they deserve to win.

Either way, I don't think it's franchise-ruining like so many fans online are saying, and Ben is a great winner regardless of the way this twist benefitted him. After Ghost Island, based on the fan response, I think this twist will go the way of Redemption Island and not return. If it does stay, which is fine with me, it just needs to be known about by the contestants so they can plan accordingly.

Top Bottom