• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was/Is Limp Bizkit really that bad

I always gave Limp a lot of shit over the years but I found Chocolate Starfish at a Book Off or something once and put it in my car...it totally changed my mind. They're legit and I thought Fred's lyrics were actually pretty deep -- he's got a very intense awareness of people and how they operate.

Ninhead

Every generation has a terrible band.

In the 1960s there was Herman's Hermits
In the 1970s we had KISS
In the 1980s, there was Warrant
In the 1990s, you had Limp Bizkit
In the 2000s, you have Nickelback
In the 2010s, we still have Nickelback

KISS has been somewhat rehabilitated thanks to reality TV and the Family Guy. But people hated them back in the day as much as Nickelback or this bunch.

Train is way worse than Nickleback for this decade.

XenIneX

Train is way worse than Nickleback for this decade.

Not even remotely close.

Train is at least entertainingly bad. Decent pop-rock hooks meet hilariously dubious lyrics. Sure, I wouldn't want to think what I was listening to too hard, but I could put that on while I was painting the garage and not feel like it made my day measurably worse.

Nickleback, though... it's like wallpaper paste was autotuned, time corrected, post processed, and packaged solely and specifically for drive-time radio.

I mean, seriously, just listen to this shit. It's like an all-dad garage band who live on the same suburban street in four consecutive cookie-cutter houses. They get together, and pinch off another song indistinguishable from the last one. In celebration, they drink a beer (but only one, because they have to go to work tomorrow) and complain about the neighbor across the street who leaves his garbage can out just a little too late after pickup on trash day. Then, feeling wild and crazy from their single beer, they'll free-associate a song out of random childhood nursery-rhyme verses.

Clearly, the worst thing Canada has inflicted upon the world.

---[Fake Edit]---
Wikipedia said:
The band later changed its name to Nickelback, which originated from the nickel in change that band member Mike Kroeger gave customers at his job at Starbucks; he would frequently say, "Here's your nickel back."
Everything you need to know about Nickleback in a nutshell. They're like a black hole of blandness.

ThisGuy

Not even remotely close.

Train is at least entertainingly bad. Decent pop-rock hooks meet hilariously dubious lyrics. Sure, I wouldn't want to think what I was listening to too hard, but I could put that on while I was painting the garage and not feel like it made my day measurably worse.

Nickleback, though... it's like wallpaper paste was autotuned, time corrected, post processed, and packaged solely and specifically for drive-time radio.

I mean, seriously, just listen to this shit. It's like an all-dad garage band who live on the same suburban street in four consecutive cookie-cutter houses. They get together, and pinch off another song indistinguishable from the last one. In celebration, they drink a beer (but only one, because they have to go to work tomorrow) and complain about the neighbor across the street who leaves his garbage can out just a little too late after pickup on trash day. Then, feeling wild and crazy from their single beer, they'll free-associate a song out of random childhood nursery-rhyme verses.

Clearly, the worst thing Canada has inflicted upon the world.

---[Fake Edit]---

Everything you need to know about Nickleback in a nutshell. They're like a black hole of blandness.
You nailed them down to a tee. And it's mildly surprising they still sound the same after all these years.

I remember being showed this song:

https://youtu.be/PR_oGP4az3k

And thinking they might become something interesting. But they became bland. 👤👤👤👤

Was? Nah they were great late 90s/early 2000s. Break Stuff was *THE* anthem for angsty young teens

Is? The pic in the OP tells you everything you need to know

Dimefan3

The music was good, Fred got a bit whiny though.

Wes Boreland doesn't get enough credit as one of the better guitarists at that time - that opening riff for the "Chocolate Starfish" album was heavy as fuck.

breadtruck

did they ever make good music, were they ever good.

did they really ruin music in the 90s.

and why does the only black guy of the group look like he is a member of some crop circle cult

Yes, all of it.
No. That was Ace of Base
Reasons?

Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Kid Rock, all were, and are awesome.

PaulBizkit

The thing with Limp Bizkit was that the frontman acted in a very douchebag way, which was his own method of revenge against all the bullying he went through during his life. it sucked because everybody said "ok, he's a douchebag, so it's ok to hate him".

I still don't know WHY that made people HATE the band, it had a lot of personality, the songs were great and they had the obligatory hidden gems that made you go "well, that was unexpectedly great".

You can already tell by my user name that they are very important to me. They are my favorite band ever
(are there better bands? of course, as long as radiohead is still around)
because they made me love music and appreciate the mixture of genres. Their lyrics are great, very concise and real, and I feel like I can relate to them.

When they came to
Argentina
in 2011, with all their 5 original members, they put out an amazing show that blew everybody away.

maxresdefault.jpg

tl;dr they were always great, but listen to the band and not what's around them.

Do you want actual bad, uninspired, empty music? Go listen to reggaeton, the whole genre consists in ONE (1) beat and the rapping is a million times worse than anything you've ever heard.

Sapiens

LB always makes me think of the suburbs and this comfortable middle class existence. It’s the kind of music people in suits listen to. That’s the feeling it gives me.

And the way they dressed, it’s some weird version of glam, but the uniform is made in China stuff off the rack from a skate shop or something. It’s so boring. All that effort for just blah skate clothes. Besides the weird paint dude-but even that is a high effort for nothing effect.

Catchy songs though.

Yeah, they’re okay I guess, but they’re so...of their time. And that’s a time I don’t look back on in a happy way (early 2000s)

PaulBizkit

And the way they dressed, it’s some weird version of glam, but the uniform is made in China stuff off the rack from a skate shop or something. It’s so boring. All that effort for just blah skate clothes. Besides the weird paint dude-but even that is a high effort for nothing effect.

A million other bands just use jeans and t-shirts, fred durst had a simple style: cargo pants, adidas shoes, black/white t-shirt and his red cap. That red cap itself was a big part of the image, during their shows, you could see dozens of people wearing it.

I see no problem whatsoever with the guitar player dressing up, I think it's great. Kiss dresses even weirder, give that whole menacing metal band look and then sing I Was Made For Loving You.

I love bands with distinct looks, I think it's a nice addition to the package. And on the other side we have Brandon Flowers from The Killers, a person that never keeps a style for more than one video. You see Fred Durst and you can recognize him, you see Brandon Flowers and you just can't (mustache, no mustache, beard, beard + mustache, different hairstyles, different clothes).

The gallagher brothers never had a distinct look either, but their presence on the stage was more than enough.

mad597

Banned
Yes they were and are bad

We went from Nirvana, Alice In chains, Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden being top musical acts in the early-mid 90's to Limp Biscuit, Korn, Spice Girls, Britney Spears being top acts in the later 90's.

They are a joke.

Music hasn't really recovered as far as top 100 Billboard acts go. We never really had a resurgence of legit serious rock music that became popular.

Top Bottom