• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

Dave Long said:
Dude, there are piles of games out there that offer a similar experience...

Nah, there really isn't. You can throw out COD4, RB6, GRAW, whatever, but for longtime SOCOM fans nothing has been able to replace it in the competitive MP department. You may beg to differ, but I'm just speaking to the consensus. As far as the missing features, bugs, server issues et al it absolutely deserves the criticism until they get addressed. But it aint a big mystery why some folks would tolerate the rough spots more than you might.

Dave Long said:
And the line of sight is an issue. When you come up against people who understand it, you're going to get shot again and again and never know where it came from because you won't see them before they see you.

Thats how SOCOM has always played. Its a 3rd person shooter. A big part of the battleflow is executing ambushes and leveraging choke points throughout the map, as well as countering them as best you can. Does the camera give the 'camper' an advantage? Sure, and you either learn to be aware and take advantage of how it plays or you don't.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Nah, there really isn't. You can throw out COD4, RB6, GRAW, whatever, but for longtime SOCOM fans nothing has been able to replace it in the competitive MP department. You may beg to differ, but I'm just speaking to the consensus. As far as the missing features, bugs, server issues et al it absolutely deserves the criticism until they get addressed. But it aint a big mystery why some folks would tolerate the rough spots more than you might.

Thats how SOCOM has always played. Its a 3rd person shooter. A big part of the battleflow is executing ambushes and leveraging choke points throughout the map, as well as countering them as best you can. Does the camera give the 'camper' an advantage? Sure, and you either learn to be aware and take advantage of how it plays or you don't.

THIS guy knows what hes talkin about!

Arsenic

Greg said:
I'm not here to debate which game had more issues (even though in my experience at launch, that would be Warhawk) - the fact is, the issues were mainly server-related and fixed within a reasonable amount of time. Sure, we'd all like a perfect product at launch, but online experiences are pretty fucking dynamic to even assume you'd come close to that. In terms of stability, Resistance was one of my best experiences across all platforms, but even that had its issues (once again, fixed over time).

Whether or not you're willing to wait is up to you, but to COMPLETELY dismiss a game because of those issues is absolutely ridiculous.
Most issues i have with this game are issues non-related to the servers, game freezes, blah blah. Sure that can also be fixed overtime, but with the list of things to fix and add, thsoe will be the fucking last. That will be a long ass wait.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Game crashed again on me, lol. 5th time tonight, to go on top of i think 3 times yesterday. Im this close to saying fuck this game.

YagizY

I bought this game a couple of days ago and finally fired it up today. I am a SOCOM n00b but I must say, I like the game A LOT. However, I am pretty terrible at it? Anyone willing to help me out and meet up online? My PSN is YagizY.

EazyB

Banned
Although I'm glad I got this game for free, I've had a decent time with it. The bugs are abundant and but with my limited time with it they haven't been game-breaking. This is my first SOCOM so the gameplay feels pretty fresh but a little loose. Hopefully, but not likely, I'll get a chance to spend a good chunk of time with it. Hope to see a ton of support throughout the lifetime of the game.

J-Rzez

miyamotofreak said:
Warhawk and Burnout?

Warhawk and Resistance. 1 out of 2 isn't bad though. Each had a handful of launch issues, but were fixed quickly, and are the best playing environments at the very least best running games out there.

should we really be blaming Slant Six entirely? shouldn't sony give further internal support to them? it is their IP anyways

Well, I mean, you'd think that they would've sent ace teams in there sooner than this, so yeah, I guess you can blame Sony for this. Especially that Seth was working so close with the title, you'd think he'd see them struggling as much as they were and get it fixed. I'm sure now though, with all the heat that people are just flat out putting on Sony, that they got some people over there working on it hardcore.

It's a damn shame that the ranked rooms run worse than the user created rooms too.

They need to get a party system in there, and fast too.

spwolf

J-Rzez said:
Warhawk and Resistance. 1 out of 2 isn't bad though. Each had a handful of launch issues, but were fixed quickly, and are the best playing environments at the very least best running games out there.

Well, I mean, you'd think that they would've sent ace teams in there sooner than this, so yeah, I guess you can blame Sony for this. Especially that Seth was working so close with the title, you'd think he'd see them struggling as much as they were and get it fixed. I'm sure now though, with all the heat that people are just flat out putting on Sony, that they got some people over there working on it hardcore.

It's a damn shame that the ranked rooms run worse than the user created rooms too.

They need to get a party system in there, and fast too.

Warhawk issues were not fixed year into the launch, so I really dont know what are you talking about... So far slantsix response is way faster than what happened with Warhawk.

dork

Banned
i disagree with above. The warhawk devs have been working with the community since day one and warhawk was only bad for me for about a week honestly.

That being said, I am not having the problems most of you seem to be having. I can connect to every game I have tried. I always pick the Room with like 251/256 to give myself room to connect, and then i usually play 8v8, I did do a 16v16 and it wasnt to bad. I get a lag spike occasionaly and spectating is really laggy, and only 1 freeze, other than that I like the game and think it was worth the 30 bucks (discount)

GQman2121

Banned
There are definitely fans of the series that are turning a cheek to the fundamental issues this game is going through right now. I thought I could fight the good fight and stick it out, but for time being I think I’m done.

I’m not having the connection errors or boots that I was having this time last week; I just don’t like the way the game is playing in its current form.

The scope glitches; inconsistency in how many shots a person can take to die; sniper rifles that don’t kill in one shot; the 1-2 second pauses; game modes that don’t work for the map layout.

Collectively, all of these things are adding up to me not having a very enjoyable experience.

I know I’ll come back to it because it’s Socom -- just not anytime soon.

Sad to hear that Zipper really rushed this one out. I was really looking forward to it. Is there any way to get the headset without the game. It looks hot and everyone says it works amazingly well.

Septimus

biggkidd32 said:
Sad to hear that Zipper really rushed this one out. I was really looking forward to it. Is there any way to get the headset without the game. It looks hot and everyone says it works amazingly well.
Zipper didn't make this game.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
biggkidd32 said:

I think not til next month, it will be 50 stand alone.

Chorazin

biggkidd32 said:

If you're buying the headset and looking forward to this game, buy the bundle since it's only $10 more than the stand alone headset.

Madman

biggkidd32 said:
Zipper can never catch a break with Socom, even when they didn't make it!

Bought this game day one. Tried about 10 minutes every day to connect. Haven't been able to play one game.

Features advertised are not even present if I could play.

I feel pretty badly fucked over here. $60 is a lot of money to me right now so I really expected a working game for it, not just a headset.

tuco11

"Zipper can never catch a break with Socom, even when they didn't make it!"

Thats because they ruined the series with Socom 3 & Socom combined assault. They don't deserve any breaks either.

This game deserves everysh!t score it gets for releasing the way it has. They should seriously gives us the first set of DLC for free as a way of apologizing for blatantly lying (friends/matchmaking etc.) Yes, I did buy it and yes when the game works it is really good.

Madman

spwolf said:
Warhawk issues were not fixed year into the launch, so I really dont know what are you talking about... So far slantsix response is way faster than what happened with Warhawk.
Huh? What's wrong with Warhawk?
tuco11 said:
"Zipper can never catch a break with Socom, even when they didn't make it!"

Thats because they ruined the series with Socom 3 & Socom combined assault. They don't deserve any breaks either.

This game deserves everysh!t score it gets for releasing the way it has. They should seriously gives us the first set of DLC for free as a way of apologizing for blatantly lying (friends/matchmaking etc.) Yes, I did buy it and yes when the game works it is really good.
Joke post? They had nothing to do with this Socom...

tuco11 said:

Actually, I would score this game a 0/10.

spwolf

Madman said:
Huh? What's wrong with Warhawk?

sorry - it was 7 months after release when the last major issues were fixed... I played quite a lot of Warhawk, and I loved it - I purchased all expansions just to support the game... Stat tracking didnt work properly for a long time, and servers showed empty when they were full for a long, long time which made you re-connect million times... In same example, SOCOM is already more playable than Warhawk, and I have not had issues in SOCOM except for first day.

tuco11

I was home all day monday from work and was able to get in some good time with it so I do have hopes. The mid match freeze ups got to be fixed though. Especially when you have someone set up with a classic pop out from cover kill and once you pop out, it freezes= you dead :lol

Madman

spwolf said:
sorry - it was 7 months after release when the last major issues were fixed... I played quite a lot of Warhawk, and I loved it - I purchased all expansions just to support the game... Stat tracking didnt work properly for a long time, and servers showed empty when they were full for a long, long time which made you re-connect million times... In same example, SOCOM is already more playable than Warhawk, and I have not had issues in SOCOM except for first day.
The stat tracking never bothered me, since I didn't play too many ranked games. Although I did lose all of my stats about 2 months after release. I really didn't care, but it happened. Never had the mislabeled server issue, but once again I play mostly unranked. From my experience, the second update had fixed pretty much all of the game's problems, which wasn't too far after release.

Eh, I guess the lesson here is some online games tend to have problems early on.

Dave Long

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
What are you 4? All online multiplayer games have problems when released. Just come back to the game in a month when the server issues are fixed.
This is ridiculously untrue. All online multiplayer games on PS3 maybe, but definitely not on other systems. Wake up! It's 2008!

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
What are you 4? All online multiplayer games have problems when released. Just come back to the game in a month when the server issues are fixed.

It's an online only game without working online, and it is missing advertised features. I think a 0/10 is pretty generous.

spwolf

Madman said:
The stat tracking never bothered me, since I didn't play too many ranked games. Although I did lose all of my stats about 2 months after release. I really didn't care, but it happened. Never had the mislabeled server issue, but once again I play mostly unranked. From my experience, the second update had fixed pretty much all of the game's problems, which wasn't too far after release.

Eh, I guess the lesson here is some online games tend to have problems early on.

2nd update was 7 months after release :p.

spwolf

Firestreak said:
It's an online only game without working online, and it is missing advertised features. I think a 0/10 is pretty generous.

online does not work? i have not had single issue in Socom for a while now...

didnt Halo crashed its servers over the first weekend? COD4? GTAIV?

spwolf said:
online does not work? i have not had single issue in Socom for a while now...

I can't even play it at all. I got it day 1 and have tried every day.

spwolf

Firestreak said:
I can't even play it at all. I got it day 1 and have tried every day.

well what happens? I dotn get any connection errors any more, current issues are no tracking, 1 second lag several times in game and ocassional freezing.

But except for day one, as soon as they modified things, I was able to connect.. yesterday I played for an hour without any of the issues whatsoever, and i didnt get any connection errors in 4 days now?

J-Rzez

spwolf said:

I'm talking about the game being in a playable-solid state. It took them mere weeks to get Warhawk running fine. I have no idea what problems the game had outside of stat tracking at times, as I haven't experienced any, so I don't know what you're talking about.

And what did Slant Six do? They made some temporary fixes that the game runs ok in 8v8 ranked rooms 75% of the time. There's massive glitches where if you run and talk at the same time, the game locks up. 32 player ranked rooms are nearly unplayable due to the massive freeze ups and game drops. We're short features in the game that are shown in the instruction manual iirc. There's a severe lack of weapons. And 7 (14quasi) maps are not enough for many for this game, being online only.

Slant Six won't be fixing this asap, if anything, Sony will have sent over people to there to straighten out S6's severe mess ups and get the game running right. Warhawk is one thing, but that title has nothing on a title called "SOCOM" with importance. I think Sony should've sent help that S6 direly needed way before launch. The game, when running right, is incredible though. It's a new-age S2. Gotta give them credit for that.

Hardware limitations really started to show at that time. They were too ambitious for what it was able to do right. I'm actually surprised they pulled off what they did on the PS2 with SOCOM 3.

Now we'll see what happens with MAG from them. Ambitious isn't even close to a description of what they're trying to do lol. Now that they're first party, with a capable console, and it being one of those big "first time ever games" Sony will be throwing a lot of extra support to their 1st party guys at Zipper. I'm watching this game very closely.

HiResDes

The Time Space Continuum will not let this game be great, as they are already too many great games being released in such a short span of time...The ratio of quality games to crap ones must be kept in check, otherwise the temptation may be too much for my wallet and I.

Arsenic

spwolf said:
Warhawk did not have issues a year into the game. Did you forget when it was released or something?

Slant Six's responses may be fast, but are they even effective? You can give them credit for releasing a shitload of patches, but whats the fucking point of them when they shit up the game even more. its pathetic.

spwolf said:
well what happens? I dotn get any connection errors any more, current issues are no tracking, 1 second lag several times in game and ocassional freezing.

But except for day one, as soon as they modified things, I was able to connect.. yesterday I played for an hour without any of the issues whatsoever, and i didnt get any connection errors in 4 days now?

Before I was getting to the screen once logged in, and hitting "select channel" and getting errors.

Now I log in, it gives me the timezone bubble, and then it just shows the title screen. I have to hit the PS button and quit at that point.

challen

> This is ridiculously untrue. All online multiplayer games on PS3 maybe, but definitely not on other systems. Wake up! It's 2008!

I disagree with you. Most online games with a large concurrent player count do experience online issues at launch on most systems. There are a few exceptions, but they are very rare. For the most part, you will not have these issues for small concurrent player count games.

I heard complaints about online for many of the popular online games - WOW, COD4, Halo3, Geometry Wars, Warhawk, Castle Crashers, SOCOM, etc. This occurs because of server load issues that are very difficult to test for. Why is this so difficult to test for? Because even with network load simulations, you don't really know what thousands of people are going to do with the game once it is released. You can make guesses and try to simulate it as best as possible, but they are only guesses.

FYI, I think SOCOM's issues are much worse than those other games. The game just shouldn't crash. People who only play games for a few days to a few weeks will be pissed. But the dedicated SOCOM community is big, and those people know the issues will be addressed. That's why you see the tolerance for the problems, because the core gameplay is good

It is good to have high standards. And ideally, all games would launch perfectly. But as a game buyer, i always expect online issues with popular online games.

spwolf

J-Rzez said:
I'm talking about the game being in a playable-solid state. It took them mere weeks to get Warhawk running fine. I have no idea what problems the game had outside of stat tracking at times, as I haven't experienced any, so I don't know what you're talking about.

you need to check dates a bit more before talking crap - it took incog or whatever was left of it 2 months for first patch, and all the time most of the people (especially here) thought that there will never be an patch because incog fell apart.

And it has been what 6 days since SOCOM was released? And after 2nd day they fixed major login issues.

Invisible tanks were fixed 7 months after Warhawk release. Never heard of those, eh? :lol

I loved Warhawk, and I will be first in line for Wowhawk 2, but lets not talk shit.

spwolf

Firestreak said:
Before I was getting to the screen once logged in, and hitting "select channel" and getting errors.

Now I log in, it gives me the timezone bubble, and then it just shows the title screen. I have to hit the PS button and quit at that point.

i dont have that issue - did you try delete game data? and re-doing it? might help.

spwolf

Dave Long said:
This is ridiculously untrue. All online multiplayer games on PS3 maybe, but definitely not on other systems. Wake up! It's 2008!

yeah, it is 2008 and still only PS3 games have dedicated servers :D

J-Rzez

spwolf said:
you need to check dates a bit more before talking crap - it took incog or whatever was left of it 2 months for first patch, and all the time most of the people (especially here) thought that there will never be an patch because incog fell apart.

And it has been what 6 days since SOCOM was released? And after 2nd day they fixed major login issues.

Invisible tanks were fixed 7 months after Warhawk release. Never heard of those, eh? :lol

I loved Warhawk, and I will be first in line for Wowhawk 2, but lets not talk shit.

Game ran stable, and was able to enter in and play through many games with no problems within weeks. As for the tanks, whatever, if you don't think people will be glitching in SOCOM, you're probably setting yourself up for a heartbreak.

And who's talking crap? I'm talking from my personal experience, just like many others. And that would mean it's no different than what you're saying. So you're talking shit too. Give it a rest. SOCOM will get fixed, and probably after the heat Sony has been taking, I'm sure they sent their people to get it fixed and fast since SOCOM is a huge and important franchise for them. So don't get your panties in a knot, eh.

There's a lot of problems in SOCOM right now, it's really in a shitty state. This is a SOCOM game on a next-gen system, focused on online play, and it's missing features put in the fucking book. It doesn't even have a damned party/invite system functioning like S3 had on the PS2. It's shaky at best right now. And that's sad to say as I'm one of the biggest SOCOM supporters there is I think. It's a unique gameplay experience you can't find elsewhere, and is a welcome change from all the shitty shooters like H3 and CoD4 style, respawn-o-rama based, no skills needed, training wheels games.

What? CoD4 had tons of issues on launch. H3 did as well. And those games didn't even have real clan options in them. Pathetic. It's 2008, and still the best running, feature filled shooter is still a launch day game on the PS3, Resistance. It's pathetic that you can't get true dedicated servers on games that you pay to play online all the time either, as it's 2008.

Arsenic

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Come back in a month? How about they should've delayed the game for another month. It's not JUST the server issues, dude. There alot more broken with this game.

Doel

I feel bad for people who are missing out on this game because of reviews. When there isn't server issues it's the best playing console shooter out there right now as far as I'm concerned. Might be missing a couple promised features but that doesn't prevent the gameplay itself from being incredibly fun, deep, and satisfying.

PuMa

spwolf said:

This guy knows what he's talking about...

PuMa

Doel said:
I feel bad for people who are missing out on this game because of reviews. When there isn't server issues it's the best playing console shooter out there right now as far as I'm concerned. Might be missing a couple promised features but that doesn't prevent the gameplay itself from being incredibly fun, deep, and satisfying.

So does this guy...

Progmetal

Firestreak said:

I used to get this error in the beta (1.6patch), but after I set the time on the PS3 to update via the internet, then everything was working again.

Greg

Dave Long said:
Taken from your review of Frontlines: Fuel of War (PC):
It's a shame that failures to install and server problems factor into a review of the game at all, because when Frontlines comes together, there's no better combined arms game of playing soldier available today.
Despite that problem, technical issues some people have had, and even a distinct lack of built-in voice chat, this game stands tall as one of the best multiplayer experiences available.
You recommend people to BUY that game, yet you recommend people skip SOCOM?

How was it so easy for you to overlook technical issues in one case and dismiss them in another? The same way you justify it by saying that the gameplay shines through is the same way the majority of the SOCOM players feel.

dork

Banned
spwolf said:
no

gtaiv only crashed on the psn, if i recall

I still think socom is worth 40 bucks though, i havent had a problem connecting, just the occasinall 1-2 second freeze during game which can kill you.

People DO however need to learn to be patient, give them time to fix it, if it goes a few months without any word of a fix then you can complain.

This is also why people should stop complaining about games being delayed and taking forever to come out, then they get rushed and people complain when it doesnt work right for them

THis is my first socom game, and this honestly is the type of game i have been waiting for. I wanted a slow team based war game, this is it in every single way. I get tired of run and gun games, I like strategy and picking people off. The gameplay on the game (minus the few bugs) is like a 9 for me

Greg said:

How was it so easy for you to overlook technical issues in one case and dismiss them in another? The same way you justify it by saying that the gameplay shines through is the same way the majority of the SOCOM players feel.

Frontlines was a pain in the ass when it first launched. If you could get into a game it was gold though. There were few bugs during play and what was wrong was more missing features than wholesale problems. The patches over time only made it better even though one or two new bugs were introduced and a few visual glitches still remain. Funnily enough the MP demo was pretty much rock solid for getting into a game.

Socom sounds like the server side thing is 90% of the problem much like Frontlines was. If there is any place for returning to reviews and reqadjusting scores it is in cases like these. If Frontlines were reviewed today it would be 10% higher at least across the board. I wouldn't doubt that Socom would be getting similar attention.

The most damaging thing right now is Confrontation is sitting at 62% on gamerankings and this is making it seem like the game is complete junk which is really unfortunate.

Dave Long

Banned
Greg said:

It's very easy to explain, and it's right in the SOCOM review too. On the PC with Frontlines, those installation problems affected a tiny percentage of users. The fellow who got the game to review first just couldn't get it to install. It was some kind of incompatibility with his hardware. Also, with the PC, there are often workarounds. On a console, you have no option when the game keeps on crashing but to simply shut off the machine. You can't try anything else.

For me, the game installed perfectly out of the box and I had a few network/server related problems, but for the most part it was perfectly fine. Best of all, Frontlines is a brilliant combined arms modern combat game. It had many maps with varied setups, lots of nifty weaponry, forced the players to work together as a team to cap properly and incorporated vehicles as well as small arms action. It's also the first game of its type to throw out medics and replace them with more soldiers, making everyone on the battlefield into someone who's important with a gun instead of having some players forced to wear a red cross (which isn't a whole lot of fun...)

SOCOM's technical problems are legion. It's in every aspect of the game. You have awful menus that respond slowly. System lockups. Hitches that cause death. Low framerates. Ranking is busted.

Gameplay problems include assault rifles as the only viable weaponry. The over the shoulder cam that allows you to "cheat" by seeing things your player-character cannot. Few modes of play that incorporate no new features for this genre. A capture point mode that's ludicrously designed (everyone caps points but a capture doesn't take one away from the other team? WTF?). You only get seven maps. SEVEN! And some of them aren't built for some gameplay modes! Best of all, they'll probably try to charge you for more maps later on!

Finally, FrontLines provided a great single player game as well as bots for multiplayer mode. You didn't need the online piece at all to enjoy it. With SOCOM, when it doesn't work online, you're fucked.

No, there are significant differences between the two releases, and SOCOM is completely busted while FrontLines was not.

Top Bottom