• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video of Ouya dev console unboxing, complete with early controller

wildfire

Banned
I want to see the console gain enough recognition for a developer to port next gen multiplats to.

An Ouya/Wii U/PS4/720 cross comparison would be a sight to behold.

It's a Tegra 3 with 1GB of ram.

Edit: So I guess it's similar to a PS Vita but with more RAM and a weaker GPU.

You were right to rethink your comment. With mobile parts it isn't powerful enough to acquire multiplatform games from the bigger consoles.

Shion

And in a few months, Tegra4 will come out and it will have 6 time more powerful graphical performance...
How many games are going to use it, though?

Tegra 3 gives a performance comparable to that of the original XBOX, how many mobile games feature better graphics than XBOX games?

herod

How many games are going to use it, though?

Tegra 3 gives a performance comparable to that of the original XBOX, how many mobile games feature better graphics than XBOX games?

and just as pertinent, how many developers can create assets and art greater than this level anyway.

personally I'm looking to this to take off so if I want xbla/psn style gaming I don't need to buy an expensive device aimed at a completely different market to accomplish it.

It reminds me of generi made in china shit you buy in chinatown.

if you have a decentish pc/laptop, there's no room in ur life for this

If they don't get the controller to be amazing then what is the point?
Such an exciting concept, but they absolutely HAVE TO get the controller perfect if they want this to have any success whatsoever.

If the ouya get's a yearly update and you can buy just the device without any wires and pads for a reasonable price I can't see much of a problem with that, could always go tegra 3 next spring or something.

I'd like to see the ouya have more power from the get go but there is already a fair bit in that system, it might limit 3D stuff but it's ample for a lot of 2D games imo, long as the ouya sells there will be developers for it.

saunderez

It reminds me of generi made in china shit you buy in chinatown.

if you have a decentish pc/laptop, there's no room in ur life for this
No shit Sherlock its purpose is to play Android games on a TV with a controller, nothing more. That's what the intelligent people backed it for anyway.

saunderez

blah blah "microUSB" port... hook it up to your pc. PC invalidates the ouya. The video at the end "ouya".. and cut.

LMAO.

eeek
It's for developers to debug, anyone familiar with Android development would know USB debugging is standard. You're really living up to the Pachter part of your screen name right now.

Sounds like some sort of damage control, regarding the controller comments. It looks cheap and dingy, which I'm sure is something they don't want out there as negative buzz.

RoyalFool

Banned
Sounds like some sort of damage control, regarding the controller comments. It looks cheap and dingy, which I'm sure is something they don't want out there as negative buzz.

That's pretty normal for pre-final hardware, I remember the nitro dev kit which was quite literally the innards of two GBA's strapped together. The problem here is that most indy developers won't be familiar with pre-release hardware and so may be taken aback by how shoddy the SDK, crashy the hardware and cheap the joypad feel.

I really want to see this thing flop. The whole thing seems soooooo terribly pointless.

Why? Its finally a decent looking Android gaming development platform. If nothing else, it'll make an awesome media center that plays emulated and original games, and will be pretty decent for web surfing/word processing/being a second computer in a pinch.

I see more merit to this than the Apple TV or the Google Nexus Q.

saunderez

I hope we get impressions on the controller soon. Dpad looks bad.
It looks bad yes but as I pointed out earlier there's nothing wrong with a disc shaped dpad, it's just Microsoft designed a terrible mechanism. Sega Saturn had a similar dpad that didn't suck.

Post it please
i04HOHfO3EkXv.jpg

Not much but there it is.

Ricker

Damn that thing is small lol....kinda like the controller though,with the removable battery cover and its location on the front...

So, they went with the atrocious d-pad found in the 360? Really?

Would you have preferred they use the PS3's shit D-Pad?

Im convinced the only good D-Pads out there are the Saturn Pad and the Vita D-Pad. And thats only for fighters... The Xbox's is fine.

Krelian

I really want to see this thing flop. The whole thing seems soooooo terribly pointless.
Man, I get really angry at posts like this. What is the point of this hostility? Have they robbed you of any money? Did they run over your dog? I just don't get it. Just let them do their thing.

I for one wish them luck and I hope they will be at least successful enough to stay in the business for a while. I haven't backed the kickstart but I'll buy one of those consoles when they're available. I might even tinker with the SDK in the future.

For the asking price of $99 / £65 you get something strong enough to be a good media hub, has it's own fully supported controller, can be used as a browsing computer and has hdmi out to tv, it's very much a smartphone in a small box but you can do a lot of things with it, it's not just an app playing system.

As someone said this thing has more going for it then a £99 apple tv once you install some streaming apps.

Pointless to you maybe but not to everyone.

saunderez

Man, I get really angry at posts like this. What is the point of this hostility? Have they robbed you of any money? Did they run over your dog? I just don't get it. Just let them do their thing.

I for one wish them luck and I hope they will be at least successful enough to stay in the business for a while. I haven't backed the kickstart but I'll buy one of those consoles when they're available. I might even tinker with the SDK in the future.
Some people are just eternal pessimists trying to ruin everyone's fun. I don't understand it either, it's the type of attitude that dissuades me from posting on forums such as this.

Derrick01

Banned

Well at least it has a controller. So it's already more respectable than ios/other smartphones and tablets.

But yeah as far as games go it'll never be as impressive as a real handheld or console. This is just a slight step up from ios crap.

Omni

I wasn't aware that having an opinion stopped these guys from packing smartphones into little cubes and selling it as a console. My bad (Not meant to be an insult towards the thing. I know what it is).

For the asking price of $99 / £65 you get something strong enough to be a good media hub, has it's own fully supported controller, can be used as a browsing computer and has hdmi out to tv, it's very much a smartphone in a small box but you can do a lot of things with it, it's not just an app playing system.

As someone said this thing has more going for it then a £99 apple tv once you install some streaming apps.

Pointless to you maybe but not to everyone.
I never said it was pointless to everyone.

For someone like me however, it doesn't seem worth it. I've got my Xbox, I've got my PC and I've got my iPhone... They do pretty much everything I want them to. This Ouya offers me nothing new at all.
Some people are just eternal pessimists trying to ruin everyone's fun. I don't understand it either, it's the type of attitude that dissuades me from posting on forums such as this.
Yes, that's exactly it.

Well at least it has a controller. So it's already more respectable than ios/other smartphones and tablets.

But yeah as far as games go it'll never be as impressive as a real handheld or console. This is just a slight step up from ios crap.
Well, there is that. By the looks of it though, it still needs a bit of work (which they admitted).

I'm completely oblivious to Ouya, is this thing cool or what?

Its similar to having one of those Smart TV/Smart TV adapters, except way more powerful and was built with bluetooth capability in mind. Oh and it comes with 2 controllers for gaming. Pair a bluetooth Media keyboard and mouse and its the best media console you'll ever have.

I hate the way Android handles network drives, so no expandable memory is a downer. I guess its USB HDD or bust.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I hope they get enough pull to use better soc's in the future... tegra3 is as bottom of the barrel as it gets for ARM soc's.

Top Bottom