• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

Gadirok

how can you make the battle feel epic if it's only 6v6?!?!

The last of Us MP has some of the most epicest moments I've played for MP on my PS3 and its only 4vs4.

It does move alot slower though and is more of a tactical teambased third person cover shooter so that's factions excuse.

Not sure how titanfall would play like, but I'm not too concerned since I'm not getting it anyways.

I honestly prefer having smaller teams than larger teams. Makes the combat feel much more personal IMO.

RdN

Hmmm.. I expected more. But I guess it would be impossible with the giant robots on the map. Let's hold judgment for now.

Booshka

Good, lower player counts usually are more balanced and require more of each player for team success. With blown up player counts, level design usually suffers and each players impact on the game is marginalized. 6v6 sounds good to me.

Hopefully PC gets options and mod tools so you can do high player count matches on custom maps, but I highly doubt anything like that is in place for launch, if ever.

Mechazawa

This kind of trash is exactly what makes playing CoD4 on PC such a colossal pain in the ass these days.

No servers cap at 12, the player numbers these games were built around, or even 18, but rather at fucking 40. So finding a proper server with proper player counts is always a case of thumbing through server lists and hoping the server you join doesn't balloon up or die down too much.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm fine with it. With all the AI interactions you will have it will feel much more populated than the low player count would have you believe and will increase your time to death. I can see it being a problem for people that play in larger groups though.

CyReN

I played 6v6 at Pax, if it seems small don't forget about the bots. I played a few matches but it felt good.

Justin

But they're filling the matches up with AI which suggests that the maps are designed for more bodies. Wouldn't it be better if the AI were human?

Not necessarily. Look at Dota. There there are hundreds if AI on that map. Does that mean that Dota would play better with a lot more than 10 players?

Xbox 360 version holding them back? /denial

Honestly, as long as the maps and everything support that player count, this isn't a problem.

More like the Xbox One holding them back. Guess the power of the cloud just isnt enough to meet the standard 18-24 players in a room. Can't pretend that the limitations of the X1 hardware doesn't factor into something like that. Guess we'll all have to wait for the sequel to come out on the PS4 to experience the definitive version of the game probably with 18-24 players in a room with everything else running at the same time.

Swishh

Banned
ABSOLUTE TRASH.

I am beyond disappointed. This is supposed to be a next gen experience? There is no other multiplayer focused next gen title that supports a maximum of 6 v 6.

I fear Respawn couldn't keep the framerate at a steady 60 frames with any more players. smh....

I don't know really, some large scale player games I have experienced have been a mess and then I look at the fun I had with Gears online and currently with Shadow Fall. Depends on the design I suppose. The any excuse to knock it is ridiculous.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it sounds really awful on paper...let's see how it turns out, but certainly my interest decreased by a good 50% after this

Good, I was hoping it wouldn't be too chaotic. I expect a lot of bashing about this in the coming months up until launch, but the last thing I want is a bunch of randomness going on from a ton of players.

But they're filling the matches up with AI which suggests that the maps are designed for more bodies. Wouldn't it be better if the AI were human?

The AI in the game fill a completely different role than real players. That is like suggesting a MOBA like DOTA2's fodder minions should be played by players.

Not sure how I feel about having a bunch of AI running around a competitive online game. I'd prefer to have everyone be a real player, though I admit I have no idea what they have planned in terms of design for this game. I'll also be buying Titanfall without hesitation for my Xbox One.

Whompa

CS:GO is best played 5v5. I don't see a problem with this.

I would, however, have wished that there was a game mode that was maybe more chaotic. Like a 32 player casual mode.

Loudninja

Surprised to see negative reactions to this. Its kind of fucking arbitrary lol

You can make a multiplayer fps thats good with max 2 players and good with max 500+.
I guess the responses will be more negative since the game is online only.

I think the player count is find options for higher counts would be a good idea though for others.

ABSOLUTE TRASH.

I am beyond disappointed. This is supposed to be a next gen experience? There is no other multiplayer focused next gen title that supports a maximum of 6 v 6.

I fear Respawn couldn't keep the framerate at a steady 60 frames with any more players. smh....

I hope this is satire...is it satire? I'm going back and forth about it.

BONDO

Sounds good to me.
Smaller squads usually equal better teamwork...usually. I like.

Still not seeing the hype on this game. Looks alright.

I hope this is satire...is it satire? I'm going back and forth about it.

Nevermind that guy, check the dude above him

More like the Xbox One holding them back. Guess the power of the cloud just isnt enough to meet the standard 18-24 players in a room. Can't pretend that the limitations of the X1 hardware doesn't factor into something like that. Guess we'll all have to wait for the sequel to come out on the PS4 to experience the definitive version of the game probably with 18-24 players in a room with everything else running at the same time.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This kind of trash is exactly what makes playing CoD4 on PC such a colossal pain in the ass these days.

No servers cap at 12, the player numbers these games were built around, or even 18, but rather at fucking 40. So finding a proper server with proper player counts is always a case of thumbing through server lists and hoping the server you join doesn't balloon up or die down too much.

Last few times I've played it's been generally quite easy to get lower player count games but yeah you're right, there's a lot of those type of servers. Good thing is, if we really wanted to we could host our own COD4 server since that was one of the last COD games to let players do that :)

Coolwhip

Banned
Not sure how I feel about having a bunch of AI running around a competitive online game. I'd prefer to have everyone be a real player, though I admit I have no idea what they have planned in terms of design for this game. I'll also be buying Titanfall without hesitation for my Xbox One.

Could you explain that?

Sneds

No because the game is designed around AI being in there alongside human players.

Not necessarily. Look at Dota. There there are hundreds if AI on that map. Does that mean that Dota would play better with a lot more than 10 players?

Are the AI in Titanfall designed to replicate humans or do they do things a human couldn't?

If they are there just to replicate humans and fill out the map then presumably it'd be better to have the real deal no?

Hip Hop

At any rate, I guess they are going for smaller scale warfare. This could be a good Call of Duty alternative for whenever I get bored with it from time to time.

Hoping for customizable lobbies/servers with Titans disabled.

Gadirok

My personal preference is for large matches in most multiplayer games... e.g. 12 v 12, or 16 v 16 even. Guess it depends on how it plays though.

I'd say it definitely depends on match sizes and how good the matchmaking works.

In huge maps like in starhawk, things often got disorienting as I had no idea where my team was and what they were doing. Then other maps that are small were ridiculously packed with people when it hit the full 16vs 16 and become even more disorienting as you had to be aware from every direction and whos targetting who.

They are grunts. A step below the players, who are pilots.

Hmmm, that sounds like it could be quite cool. If they do this whole dedicated server stuff properly -- and they can since it's online-only -- then they could have a bunch of AI running around giving a sense of scale.

You guys compare it to CoD (6v6) but... they don't have large mechs, large open spaces with jetpacks and walljumps to move around so maps will be much larger yet player count is really low.

I also like how people think the ones who say 6v6 is small assume they want 16v16 or 32v32. 8v8 would be a nice improvement.

Player Count =/= Quality

Shove 32 people into a 12 person map and chaos ensues. As long as it's designed for 12 people and it's not a technical constraint I'm fine with this.

abadguy

Banned

People are really attempting to claim this has something to do with hardware when there is another shooter on the very same console with 64 player count and better graphics? Really?

smurfx

get some go again
isn't 6vs6 going to make the mech's op? there isn't going to be enough people to take one down easily and if they make them easy to take down then what is the point?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Not even mad at this.

I hope in the next Halo they keep TS 4x4.
Yeah, exactly. Hopping into Big Team Battle is fun from time to time, but 90% of my play time is in 4v4 or 5v5 game types. I'm cool with more games being built around small teams.

antitrop

ABSOLUTE TRASH.

Bigger is not necessarily tantamount to better. No need for a conspiracy theory to what can easily just be chalked up to intended game design.

RdN

LOL, what a joke of a post.

NeoGash

You're serious? OMG LOL this thread is amazing. I think this is one for the ages, let's archive it and look back on it in a few hundred years so we can show our great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren why the human race failed and now lives on a dead planet.

Seriously, is this real? Please tell me you are joking, PLEASE!!! I guess Uncharted is linear because the PS3 doesn't have the power to do open world games lol. Oh.My.God.

Phil4000

Sounds fine as long as its still a blast to play and the maps don't feel empty. What concerns me more is the $60 price tag, are we at least getting a good amount of maps (20+) to justify this?!

Top Bottom