• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

I have Irish ancestry and a slightly red beard.

Also been reading a bit of mythology and history, with a special interest in the Protestant Ascendancy for a project I'm working on.

I have no idea how Gaelic or its pronunciation is supposed to work tho, it was accomplishment enough to know how to say cu chulainn.

North Cork, here. I spent the day cutting timber and cleaning the back yard with my cousin. Now to sit back, play games and then watch the Man Utd vs Liverpool game later.

St. Patrick's Day pretty much just means a day off work for me (We got tomorrow off at work as well!). Didn't even go to the parade earlier. I'm not really into the whole 'Oirishness' aspect of the day at all. I was FAR more excited about it when I lived abroad, actually. Probably because it helped with homesickness and it was a chance to meet other Irish people.

NeoGiff

Born and bred in Wexford. My parents are Irish, as are my grandparents.

Somewhere along my mother's ancestry, people came to Ireland from Spain.

So, I guess, from an American mindset, I'm Spanish.

Nah, don't think so.

Griss

When you have work early tomorrow...

Brick.png

When you're at work right now...

Pains of emigrating I guess. I lived just off Camden Street too, so it was party central on holiday days. Could walk anywhere.

danthefan

I have Irish ancestry and a slightly red beard.

Also been reading a bit of mythology and history, with a special interest in the Protestant Ascendancy for a project I'm working on.

I have no idea how Gaelic or its pronunciation is supposed to work tho, it was accomplishment enough to know how to say cu chulainn.

The language is called 'Gaeilge'. The way things are pronounced can be very different from how you'd expect as an English speaker.

First generation Irish-American here. Heritage was a pretty significant part of my upbringing since there was a pretty large Irish immigrant community that my parents are a part of on the southside of Chicago. Mom is from Cork and my dad is from Monaghan.

My sisters Irish danced, and me and my brother went to a local Irish community center every Sunday in the summer to watch and play Irish football.

I consider it a pretty big part of who I am, so much so that I applied for my Irish passport, in case I need to bail out on the US if Trump gets elected.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody.

glow

Banned
First generation Irish-American here. Heritage was a pretty significant part of my upbringing since there was a pretty large Irish immigrant community that my parents are a part of on the southside of Chicago. Mom is from Cork and my dad is from Monaghan.

My sisters Irish danced, and me and my brother went to a local Irish community center every Sunday in the summer to watch and play Irish football.

I consider it a pretty big part of who I am, so much so that I applied for my Irish passport, in case I need to bail out on the US if Trump gets elected.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody.

I've got a lot of south side Irish relatives. A lot of them moved to Evergreen Park though. Love the Irish community down there and the south side Irish parade (back when it was still crazy 🍻). I graduated from Brother Rice.

I've got a lot of south side Irish relatives. A lot of them moved to Evergreen Park though. Love the Irish community down there and the south side Irish parade (back when it was still crazy ��). I graduated from Brother Rice.
Yeah, my parents ended up in Oak Lawn after I left for college.

St. Laurence alum here. We had many a Homecoming game against Br. Rice. ;)

And I, (along with many others) had my first beer at the south side parade.

XenoRaven

Either my great great grandmother or great great great grandmother was Irish and was raised by the Amish. I don't know exactly which generation, just that at one point some Irish immigrants came to the US and ended up having to leave a daughter in the care of an Amish woman who raised her.

I connect with my Irish heritage by being the only person who actually likes the wrestler Sheamus.

I also occasionally listen to Celtic music, but mostly because it sounds cool.

I find Irish mythology to be particularly fascinating, but I don't have the motivation to research it beyond the stuff I see in pop culture.

Hinchy

I don't have Irish heritage but I have been lucky to count some people who do among my close friends, and being invited along for the ride has given me a lot of exposure to their great culture.

Entirely separate from that, my family has always celebrated St. Paddy's with a traditional boiled dinner. Unfortunately for the past few years it's gotten a bit away from us. I think I may have to insist this year, even if I have to host it myself and (obviously) belatedly.

Gudetama

Clan Macfie represent~ We lived on some islands, then we got kicked off the islands and dispersed, but now we're BACK bitches

English oppressors can feck off.
Now hold on there Mr American, don't be telling the Brits to feck off. We in the South of Ireland are friendly enough with the Brits and welcome them into our country. Ireland doesn't need anymore of this BS that has caused so much death over the last few years. Especially from people who've never been here. And the Wolfe Tones are IRA loving shite.

Now hold on there Mr American, don't be telling the Brits to feck off. We in the South of Ireland are friendly enough with the Brits and welcome them into our country. Ireland doesn't need anymore of this BS that has caused so much death over the last few years. Especially from people who've never been here. And the Wolfe Tones are IRA loving shite.

They have some decent songs though.

Americans have a weird understanding of the Troubles and the IRA, it turns out.

Cocaloch

Americans have a weird understanding of the Troubles and the IRA, it turns out.

As much as I agree with your sentiment you should realize that Fenianism was an American and Canadaian movement as well. Those in Ireland have no monopoly on its interpretation. As a fun aside, Marx and Engles saw American Fenianism as the biggest threat to Capitalism.

Also I have a feeling you know he was joking.

SpyGuy239

Happy St. Paddy's guys! I ain't Irish and don't live there anymore but I had a fond 6 years there in Med School. Made a great many awesome friends =D

danthefan

Happy St. Paddy's guys! I ain't Irish and don't live there anymore but I had a fond 6 years there in Med School. Made a great many awesome friends =D

Canadian by any chance? Seems to be a lot of Canadians here studying medicine. Which university did you go to?

I'm nearly 75% Irish but I don't do anything Irish. I don't drink beer, I don't wear green, and I don't like red hair. I'm doing it wrong, I know.

Stinky

I'm Irish and I live in Ireland but I still couldn't find anyone to go drink with. So I'm drinking alone at home. Was feeling kinda depressed in the middle of the day but I'm kinda of drunk now so I'm good.

SpyGuy239

Canadian by any chance? Seems to be a lot of Canadians here studying medicine. Which university did you go to?

Nah. I'm from Singapore. Working in the States now. Went to UCD. But you're totally right, I had quite a few classmates from Canada and the US.

IMG_2600.jpg

Some snaps I took not too long ago...

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

2ffbbc5f-9a3b-4955-9bdf-99dbc14ed97e.jpg

Lucreto

I'm Irish and I did absolutely nothing to celebrate it. I didn't watch the parade, I didn't wear green (I think that is more of an American thing) and I didn't drink.

farmerboy

Anybody with any Irish heritage, no matter how infinitesimal, is welcome here. Honorary Irishmen (Jews, black people, Italians, Poles, and the Welsh) are also invited. English oppressors can feck off.

Italian (Sicilian) heritage here. I gotta ask, why do the Italians get an "Honorary Irishmen" mention?

I'm asking, cos I've always felt like the Irish and Italians have a bit in common. Family, religion, fiercely protective (at least us Sicilians), drink and good times. About the only huge difference are the wakes. Ours are pretty morbid.

Valhelm

contribute something
Blimey. After three pints of Irish stout, a couple shots of Jameson, and some cider, I'm done for the night. Begorrah, I even learned a few Irish words at a local pub, that I'll surely mispronounce next time I say them.

Italian (Sicilian) heritage here. I gotta ask, why do the Italians get an "Honorary Irishmen" mention?

I'm asking, cos I've always felt like the Irish and Italians have a bit in common. Family, religion, fiercely protective (at least us Sicilians), drink and good times. About the only huge difference are the wakes. Ours are pretty morbid.

The Irish, the Italians, and the Jews settled the same American cities in similar numbers all along the Eastern Seaboard. Philadelphia, Chicago, and most obviously New York were traditionally defined by that tripartite division, and all three of those groups were once seen as non-white savages despite their current power in American society. While relations between the Irish and the Italians sometimes weren't perfect, especially in Philadelphia, the two groups always stuck together when white Protestants tried to harm them.

In most American cities, bishops basically alternate between being Italian and being Irish. Especially because Catholic churches are rarely segregated by ethnicity in the way that Protestant churches tend to be.

NateDog

Missed Paddy's Day in Dublin yesterday as my girlfriend was recovering after a colonoscopy but I had no complaints that I missed it, can't stand parts of the city on normal days sometimes but Paddy's Day is just horrible for it, pathetic excuse in the majority of places of a "celebration" of anything Irish. Hope the 1916 centenary celebrations won't turn into the same shite.

I was born in England but my mother is Irish and I've lived in Dublin for about 17 years now.

Is this the official IrishGAF OT we've been waiting for?

kharma45

Missed Paddy's Day in Dublin yesterday as my girlfriend was recovering after a colonoscopy but I had no complaints that I missed it, can't stand parts of the city on normal days sometimes but Paddy's Day is just horrible for it, pathetic excuse in the majority of places of a "celebration" of anything Irish. Hope the 1916 centenary celebrations won't turn into the same shite.

I was born in England but my mother is Irish and I've lived in Dublin for about 17 years now.

Is this the official IrishGAF OT we've been waiting for?

The Holylands area of Belfast turned into fucking Baghdad with the state of it. It's a disgrace.

Top Bottom