• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android TV [OT] This is not Google TV, It is here to stay

Streaming, gaming, google cast, live channels, emulation and more!

AndroidTVOEMS_zpspik0vekv.jpg

sony_bravia_tv_2015_1_zpsgrfpjjx4.jpg

Android-TV-remote-768x558_zpst9urhibh.jpg

soldseparatelyslashgear_review__zps8arreoqy.jpg

Nexus-Player_zpsdj8kai26.jpg

Husker86

I have the Nexus Player and for some reason its Google Cast receiver isn't always visible to devices. As in, it doesn't show up as a device to cast to. Really annoying as I have to restart it to fix it. Also, sometimes it will not output video when I first turn my entertainment center devices on; I know it's active because I can hear sounds when I do things with the remote. I have to turn my receiver/TV off and back on for it to show up. Not sure if that's a device issue or my receiver, though.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Android TV.

Watching the second episode of 11.22.63 on my $19 Nexus Player. Oh yeah.

Lucky. That deal was aggravating. It was hard to find one and almost every wal-mart I checked had 1 or 2 left in the computer system but the stock was always mysteriously missing. Wal-mart is the ghetto.

I have the Shield which has been crazy perfect but a NP would have been nice in another room.

vwnut13

Lucky. That deal was aggravating. It was hard to find one and almost every wal-mart I checked had 1 or 2 left in the computer system but the stock was always mysteriously missing. Wal-mart is the ghetto.

I actually found them in the clearance isle at my Walmart before I saw the deal posted online. Was even more exciting to find it when I wasn't expecting it.

I'm in love with Android TV.

My main TV is Sony KDL65W859C with Android TV and I have a cheap quad core Android TV box for my bedroom.

Archos Video Player for library scraping coupled with MX Player for video playback is the best combo.

hqdefault.jpg

It's had an update to Android TV style UI as well.

Hasney

Sony released a firmware update in the UK. We're usually behind, so don't know if you guys already had all this. Adds:

USB HDD Recording
Twin Tuner (4K TVs)
Twin Picture (Picture-in-Picture / Picture-and-Picture)
Twin Picture:

a) Picture-in-Picture: The ability to display the main content from your PC via HDMI, while displaying your TV (tuner) in a smaller window.
b) Picture-and-Picture: The ability to display your Blu-ray Player /DVD or other consumer electronic device via HDMI, and your TV (tuner) – side-by-side – simultaneously.

For more information on different options available for USB HDD Recording and Twin Picture functionalities, please see our dedicated FAQ.

The twin picture shit is fucking limited. I don't use the TV tuner stuff.

Terra

Got myself an Nvidia Shield Tv today. Seems nice, and lovely emulation-wise. Anyone know if my old games Wind Waker and Xenoblade runs on Dolphin on this?

nubbe

Got myself an Nvidia Shield Tv today. Seems nice, and lovely emulation-wise. Anyone know if my old games Wind Waker and Xenoblade runs on Dolphin on this?

not well for me
Maybe Vulkan can help if they do a proper port

Looks like Android N for Android TV is bringing DVR to apps, multi-tasking, multiple google accounts, and PiP in apps. Wow, what a great update.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anybody flash Android N to their Nexus Player yet?

I am running N now. It's faster. Nothing is too crazy but it works well so far.

My Nexus Player is currently hooked up to the bedroom TV as we got a new smart tv. I was hoping to get a second Nexus Player, as the smart features are frustratingly slow. Google is no longer selling the Nexus Player on their store. Does anyone know if there are plans for a new gen?

I am running N now. It's faster. Nothing is too crazy but it works well so far.

My Nexus Player is currently hooked up to the bedroom TV as we got a new smart tv. I was hoping to get a second Nexus Player, as the smart features are frustratingly slow. Google is no longer selling the Nexus Player on their store. Does anyone know if there are plans for a new gen?

No news yet but one would think it's coming when new Nexus devices drop this year. Hopefully since Android N is coming out early we get the new hardware quarter 3 as well. I'd kill for a more premium/faster $100-150 Nexus Player.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sony said we're getting marshmallow and that's taking for ever so N will take even longer

One should better only use this OS on a seperate device, relying on the TV manufacturer seems even worse then having Android on a Smartphone when it comes to Updates.

Quasar

Interesting to see the Spotify app appear today. Though given I'm a youtube Red subscriber its not of much interest to me. Well except to try out playlists to import into google music.

Dunno about anyone else I'm finding the Crunchyroll app not working on the N Beta.

Quasar

One should better only use this OS on a seperate device, relying on the TV manufacturer seems even worse then having Android on a Smartphone when it comes to Updates.

For some reason I thought that Google would update TVs so we wouldn't have the same phone bullshit on other devices.

It's really absurd.

At least google play services, google cast and the leanback launcher are getting updates independently of the OS.

I do agree its been very slow but on the bright side its not like a phone that you will ditch in 2 years so a year late update isn't so detrimental. People own tvs sets for a much longer period of time.

RuGalz

The different version of AndroidTV so far have made so little difference from day to day use it would be more useful if they can get more useful apps out or work out kinks with the existing apps. Unable to follow links in YouTube videos is really annoying (at least when I'm using a remote, maybe it's fine if you use a 'mouse'?), be able to browse comments would be nice, where's podcast support in Music for AndroidTV? etc etc

My Sony TV has Android TV built in and while I like it in concept, it's not great in execution.

I have an Xbox One so I don't really need any apps in my TV, but the Chromecast is super useful... when it works.

On my TV, the Chromecast just stops working after a few days and the only way to get it to work again is by unplugging the TV and plugging it back in because apparently just turning it off with a remote isn't good enough. There's not much point in having a built in Chromecast when most of the time we just plug in our external one when it isn't working (and we don't want to wait for the TV to reboot).

That issue plus needing to update my TV every month or two (which takes a good 10-20 minutes) is making me never want a "smart" tv ever again

Hasney

My Sony TV has Android TV built in and while I like it in concept, it's not great in execution.

I have an Xbox One so I don't really need any apps in my TV, but the Chromecast is super useful... when it works.

On my TV, the Chromecast just stops working after a few days and the only way to get it to work again is by unplugging the TV and plugging it back in because apparently just turning it off with a remote isn't good enough. There's not much point in having a built in Chromecast when most of the time we just plug in our external one when it isn't working (and we don't want to wait for the TV to reboot).

That issue plus needing to update my TV every month or two (which takes a good 10-20 minutes) is making me never want a "smart" tv ever again

Not having the same issue with the casting stuff on my Sony Android TV. Only issue I have is specific to Kodi, so that's probably an app thing.

Go to settings, about and you can restart from there if you need it though. Do updates froma USB stick, much quicker.

Let me guess.... 2015 model? For some reason my 2016 Bravia was damn near bug free but I've heard lots of complains about the old 2015 Bravias.

Also, lots of updates are a good thing imo. You are never going to avoid software updates . Smart type software is going to run everything. In due time Dumb TVs will no longer exist.

At least google play services, google cast and the leanback launcher are getting updates independently of the OS.

I do agree its been very slow but on the bright side its not like a phone that you will ditch in 2 years so a year late update isn't so detrimental. People own tvs sets for a much longer period of time.

Which conversely is a problem if Sony stops releasing updates after two years.

FML my Bravia 850C video is lagging. That's why i never wanted a computer in my TV.

Sony went with super slow processing on that TV. Hopefully a software update or reset sorts it out.

Those TVs are only on 2 Cortex-A17 cores and the Mali-624 which makes for some garbage Mediatek. Pushing the Android OS and 4k video on that chips is not going to cut it.

The good news is late summer their TVs are going to ship with a newer mediatek that has 2 - 4 Cortex A53 cores with the Mali-860 GPU. Those TVs should fly.

Also, lots of updates are a good thing imo. You are never going to avoid software updates . Smart type software is going to run everything. In due time Dumb TVs will no longer exist.
Thankfully my TV hasn't gotten any updates in recent months, it's like having a normal fucking TV again, it's great!

I just want this smart TV stuff to be as optional as possible. No update notifications if I never use that stuff, no taking several minutes to reboot after getting unplugged (the regular Android bootup), just plain old TV on or TV off.

Hasney

I'm already itching for an Android N update. More picture in picture options are going to be great.

Seriously adore all the smart functions. Catchup on every main channel, built in Casting and Plex makes everything a breeze.

Top Bottom