• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

But what about Quaith?

The show wants to limit how much magic there is so I sincerely doubt we'll see her again. How many show watchers even know who she is? If they can't remember Rhaegar from the "Previously On" segment all the way to the R+L=J reveal, there's no way they'll know who Quaith is.

I put money on Jorah being done. He can't come crawling back to Dany for like, the fourth time. That scene felt like a proper goodbye to me. I kinda hope he doesn't come back, anyway. I just don't see anymore purpose for him in the story that isn't retreading old ground for him.

Jorah's been given part of Connington's character arc- and I'm going to predict that he's also got part of Victarion's arc*- and that he'll be healed by a red priest or priestess and make his way back to Westeros.

*Yara/Theon took part of Victarion's arc as well.

His story ended on a cliffhanger. Other than Gendry, the show brings back characters whose stories still need a resolution. Jaqen and Daario are gone, though. Gone for good.

More predictions: Jaqen will show up in Oldtown.

Gigglepoo

More predictions: Jaqen will show up in Oldtown.

Ha! I don't see how they could possible have a Measter's conspiracy plotline in only 13 episodes. Seems way too rushed. Sam will find the dragon book Jaqen is searching for because the show likes condensing storylines and avoiding whatever world building isn't 100% necessary (in their eyes).

This list is missing the Hound, the Mountain, and Euron. And Gendry.

Yeah, it's the main body of the cast at the beginning of this last season from the first page of the thread. None of those people would really be considered main cast. Maybe the Mountain lumbering around, but I wouldn't say so. Also missing the Waif, though, who I would labeled as having a large enough role to be there.

I put money on Jorah being done. He can't come crawling back to Dany for like, the fourth time. That scene felt like a proper goodbye to me. I kinda hope he doesn't come back, anyway. I just don't see anymore purpose for him in the story that isn't retreading old ground for him.

I don't think Jorah will be back, either; I agree with your assessment. I also doubt we'll see Daario again, but who knows. Faceless Jaqen, who knows? Depends on how Oldtown goes, but I doubt that, too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They pretty specifically abandoned a ton of characters in Essos. The fact that Essos is done and 0 main players are there suggests anyone stranded there isn't coming back.

Ha! I don't see how they could possible have a Measter's conspiracy plotline in only 13 episodes. Seems way too rushed. Sam will find the dragon book Jaqen is searching for because the show likes condensing storylines and avoiding whatever world building isn't 100% necessary (in their eyes).

I can't argue with your logic, I just don't want that to be the last we see of Jaqen is all. :p

Moff

yeah but just finding it would be boring. put at sand snake there with jaqen and sam in the middle of them and we will have something entertaining

Iksenpets

Banned
They pretty specifically abandoned a ton of characters in Essos. The fact that Essos is done and 0 main players are there suggests anyone stranded there isn't coming back.

I don't think Daario is ever coming back. Jorah will almost definitely pop up again. Jaqen I'd give 50/50 odds, depending on how much screen time they're going to dedicate to Oldtown.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm just wondering how much the opening might change. Odds are, there will be no sweeping over the world to get to Mereen/Essos. All the storylines are taking place in Westeros.

Any chances we might get to see scenes take place in Storms End, Lannisport, Highgarden or White Harbor? Think those might be the last major cities of Westeros.

Gigglepoo

IAny chances we might get to see scenes take place in Storms End, Lannisport or White Harbor? Think those might be the last major cities of Westeros.

I still think there's a chance we'll see Casterly Rock but I doubt we'll see any other major cities in Westeros. But maybe Ashai? Come on, Jorah! Pass under that shadow!

Gigglepoo

He'll come back for one episode before he dies after the writers realise they don't need him anymore

What if he gets healed by going the lava arm route, reunites with Dany, and then (Harry Potter spoilers!)
his arm tries to kill Dany just like Wormtail's arm turned on him when he refused to kill Harry
? Done and done!

I was being 100% serious, I expect my scenario to play out.

Unless they bring back the high priestess woman from this season to heal his arm.
I was being serious also. I just meant that I fully expect Jorah to come back even though I have zero evidence. It just seems like a sensible thing to assume that Quaithe or a Red Priestess will cross paths with him.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm just wondering how much the opening might change. Odds are, there will be no sweeping over the world to get to Mereen/Essos. All the storylines are taking place in Westeros.

Any chances we might get to see scenes take place in Storms End, Lannisport, Highgarden or White Harbor? Think those might be the last major cities of Westeros.

Oldtown is a pretty obvious addition for next season, and I imagine at some point will at least get the Rock, probably Highgarden, too, just because they'll want to have that one shot establishing the visuals of those places. Storm's End is a little weirder since it's not as visually interesting a location, and there are no political players left who would conceivably locate there, but maybe they'll work that in somehow, too. I doubt White Harbor makes it at this point.

I will totally bet against lava arm happening, though. Jorah fails to cure his greyscale and just launches a plague instead.

El Topo

Could we get the maesters as a faction next season (set against Daenerys or at least her dragons)? Otherwise it seems right now as if Daenerys is not going to face much resistance in Westeros.

Sean C

The show has been progressively narrowing its scope in the last few years. By the end of Season 6, they're essentially down to the fewest stories than at any point since early Season 1. There are now basically three major locations (Winterfell, King's Landing, wherever Dany's travelling posse is) plus a few satellite ones. For Winterfell and Dany, you've got quite large casts of characters that may grow even more in the near future (depending on how quickly other Starks return; Dany is presumably soon to add Olenna, Ellaria et al. to her entourage).

Comparatively: man, King's Landing has been utterly depopulated, character-wise, to the point where in those terms it barely qualifies as a major location. The finale killed three regulars (Margaery, Tommen, the High Sparrow) and killed or neutralized almost all the recurring ones (Mace, Loras, Kevan, Lancel, Pycelle, Unella -- not dead, but we're unlikely to see her again). As of the finale there are only four characters left with names: Cersei, Jaime, Bronn, and Qyburn (Gregor has a name, but he's not really a character).

And of those, it's hard to imagine that Bronn wouldn't haul ass to Tyrion and Dany the second he hears about them landing. Actually, even that might be waiting too long; one look at Cersei's coronation and the smoking crater where the Sept of Baelor would probably be enough to signal it's time to be elsewhere.

cj_iwakura

So for the final season thread(s)... free for all, book readers and non, cats and dogs living together, total madness? Shoot, it's barely different at this point.

Gigglepoo

Euron partnering with Cercie wouldn't make sense in the books because he's obsessed with the "when the kraken weds the dragon" prophecy. But it could work in the show. That's one of the few ways that I could see Cercei becoming a major player again. There has to be some resistance to Dany or it will be boring and predictable so hopefully they come up with something to stand in her way.

I also like the idea of a Maester Conspiracy forming but that seems unlikely. They've done nothing with Euron and then they're going to add a bunch of Oldtown characters? That would be a really strange idea.

Gigglepoo

I wonder if we'll see a glamour used again. It would be really strange to introduce an entire type of magic only to use it in one scene without any consequences.

hoos30

Nothing wrong with that! It was a misfire for me but, as noted, I'm in the minority.

It may end up being one of those scenes I go back and forth on. I had similar thoughts on Furiosa's scene in Fury Road where she falls to her knees and screams. Sometimes when I watch it, it really works, but other times, it feels like I can see the strings and is offputting. It's interesting and weird.

Suspension of disbelief required.

Black_Sun

Euron partnering with Cercie wouldn't make sense in the books because he's obsessed with the "when the kraken weds the dragon" prophecy. But it could work in the show. That's one of the few ways that I could see Cercei becoming a major player again. There has to be some resistance to Dany or it will be boring and predictable so hopefully they come up with something to stand in her way.

I also like the idea of a Maester Conspiracy forming but that seems unlikely. They've done nothing with Euron and then they're going to add a bunch of Oldtown characters? That would be a really strange idea.

Yeah the only way for Cersei to remain a threat is for her to marry Euron and for him to reveal the dragon horn, the horn of Joramun, his
Valyrian steel armor set
and his magic powers

bengraven

Yeah the only way for Cersei to remain a threat is for her to marry Euron and for him to reveal the dragon horn, the horn of Joramun, his
Valyrian steel armor set
and his magic powers

I actually predict this happening now.

Cersei X Euron at least. Since Dany turned him down.

Also Qyburn is still very real and a threat. He could find some way to protect her from dragons.

Valyrian steel armor set
and his magic powers

That would be great actually. I'd love to see Cersei get some of those things to even the odds. Plus it would make the dragons far less of a sure thing. It'd be one last way Cersei could fuck over the whole world.

Turin

Banned
They just introduced Euron to give Dany some kind of challenge next year which will also give Cersei more time to be the Mad Queen.

We'll see if he magically pulls a special horn out of his ass to spice things up a bit.

Her delivery of "you refused the call" in that shot is ice cold.

3D1jJEz.gif

Amazing that they could even find such a wonderful kid actor.

Cromwell

Banned
Man the soundtrack to the last episode is so good. Light of the Seven and the closing track on Dany's fleet are two of the most memorable tracks since the introduction of the Stannis / Melisandre theme.

I guarantee he's going the Victarion/Mqorro route. He got greyscale for a reason, his plot isn't even close to done, and Melisandre is wandering around on her own.

ctothej

Valyrian steel armor set
and his magic powers

I hope the story goes in this direction. Even if we don't see the horn of Joramun, Euron's thousand ships will probably come into play when Cersei needs to defend King's Landing from Daenerys. However, I hope marrying Euron doesn't mean giving him the Iron Throne. Cersei's come too far for that; at this point she's gotta be ruler of the seven kingdoms or dead.

Hazmat

So for the final season thread(s)... free for all, book readers and non, cats and dogs living together, total madness? Shoot, it's barely different at this point.

Nah, there are probably still show watchers that want to not have the differences from the books spoiled, and I don't want to have to spoiler tag book discussion. Plus, they don't want to wade through blocks of black text while we compare Dany's arrival with Faegon's.

Oh, and we'll have book six by the time the next sea-

I can't finish that sentence, it hurts too much.

hoos30

I hope the story goes in this direction. Even if we don't see the horn of Joramun, Euron's thousand ships will probably come into play when Cersei needs to defend King's Landing from Daenerys. However, I hope marrying Euron doesn't mean giving him the Iron Throne. Cersei's come too far for that; at this point she's gotta be ruler of the seven kingdoms or dead.
After seeing Dany's lovely armada, I forsee a giant typhoon coming to even the odds. Would also give them a chance to recycle some Baratheon lore.

Speevy

Banned
Do you guys foresee a situation where a Cersei-backed Euron just straight up decimates Dany's army at sea, or do you think they'll make landfall without any opposition?

I wouldn't mind a cersei/euron combo but for the love of god no dragon horns. Still think that's the dumbest thing.

I don't see that though. Knowing this show's pacing, they will be on land in the premier.

Gigglepoo

I thought they sent out ravens but Jon just didn't feel they had the time to visit.

Sansa, "If we went down to Castle Cerwyn I know that Lord Cerwyn would..."

Jon, "We fight with army we have."

Why was Jon so rushed anyway? He was sprinting into a massacre. It wasn't like Stannis' situation where winter had come, either, it just seemed like he was anxious to start fighting.

Speevy

Banned
Sansa, "If we went down to Castle Cerwyn I know that Lord Cerwyn would..."

Jon, "We fight with army we have."

That still doesn't rule out Jon and Sansa sending out ravens to every northern house asking for help and receiving no responses.

Anyway, even if Castle Cerwyn received no such ravens, it's easy enough to believe every northern house would at least know about the Stark-led wildling army about to invade Winterfell.

Speevy

Banned
I don't see Euron and Cersei forming an alliance to be honest

Well, Dany will not support Euron's claim to the iron islands, so his only way forward is to kill Yara and Theon to create a situation where someone has to ally with him. The ironborn are shit at land wars.

Gigglepoo

That still doesn't rule out Jon and Sansa sending out ravens to every northern house asking for help and receiving no responses.

Anyway, even if Castle Cerwyn received no such ravens, it's easy enough to believe every northern house would at least know about the Stark-led wildling army about to invade Winterfell.

The Cerwyns and Manderlays did make it to Winterfell. They answered the call but Jon rushed into the fight so quickly they didn't have time to make the trek up there in time.

Speevy

Banned
Why was Jon so rushed anyway? He was sprinting into a massacre. It wasn't like Stannis' situation where winter had come, either, it just seemed like he was anxious to start fighting.

That's exactly it. He has a death wish. He just wants all of the fighting to be over.

It's one of the things they clearly intended but it came across as "Jon's a mute who lets Sansa do all his talking for him."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom