• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this hoobla, you guys do realize that Apple hasn't yet come out and called it a Retina display... or even confirmed that the iPad we are going to see will have double the resolution.

noah111

Still Alive
With all this hoobla, you guys do realize that Apple hasn't yet come out and called it a Retina display... or even confirmed that the iPad we are going to see will have double the resolution.
I haven't been this confident in a big feature pre-reveal from Apple in a long time. The invite photo practically reveals it.

LCfiner

first of all - it's hoopla. with a p. :)

second, there's been leaks of the displays and they have shown 4X pixels under the microscope. In addition, Apple's invite shows an image of a hi res display much sharper than the regular ipad display. they would not do that unintentionally. then there's the way they've worded the invite, which suggests a new display.

Cheebo

Banned
Mmmm. Does the iPad 1/2 already work as a kind of remote for the current Apple TV? Maybe they're trying to make it a big deal, where the iPad becomes the world's best TV remote... (which it clearly won't be, until you can feel for buttons without looking... ohh yeah there's me linking it to haptics again)

Haha. Don't worry, I'm all prepared for no haptic touch. I'm just trying to make sense of the wording.

Why would you need to feel buttons? Apple tv's default remote only has 1 button on it as is.

You heard it here first folks. Following the "retina" guidelines set forth by Refrigerator, A 50" HDTV needs be 13K resolution, 13,440 x 7560 to be exact, in order to reach that holy grail of 300+ PPI and attain the coveted retina class. So infuriating that these TV companies stick to keeping their screens at less than 60 PPI! Viewing distance has no say in the matter!

Why would I care about having a Retina-class Display for my large-screen Television? I only want these Retina-level PPI for hand-held devices, like a phone or tablet. Congrats(?) though, for working my name into a ridiculous premise that you easily dismissed in one fell swoop.

This is true, and hopefully there are behind-the-scenes agitations amongst the senior staff to not classify this device as having a Retina Display. That is my hope, at least.

Recon

Banned
Why would I care about having a Retina-class Display for my large-screen Television? I only want these Retina-level PPI for hand-held devices, like a phone or tablet. Congrats(?) though, for working my name into a ridiculous premise that you easily dismissed in one fell swoop.

This is true, and hopefully there are behind-the-scenes agitations amongst the senior staff to not classify this device as having a Retina Display. That is my hope, at least.

Honestly, what does it matter if they call it retina or not. The ipad 3 will still be the ipad 3, no matter what silly marketing term they use. It seems a silly thing to get annoyed by. The resolution will be double the previous, just like with the iphone 4/S, because that is what works.

Why would you need to feel buttons? Apple tv's default remote only has 1 button on it as is.
You kinda answered your own question there...

If that button was a smooth piece of glass like an iPad, you'd have to look for it. I'm pretty sure everyone who uses Apple TV at the moment works that remote predominantly by feel.

artist

Banned
Honestly, what does it matter if they call it retina or not. The ipad 3 will still be the ipad 3, no matter what silly marketing term they use. It seems a silly thing to get annoyed by. The resolution will be double the previous, just like with the iphone 4/S, because that is what works.
Its retarded logic, one you cant reason with. If Apple named the display jigga display, it still wouldnt impact the end user experience, sales or anything else worthwhile.

There were various arguments about Retina even before I entered in it, yet for some reason everyone coalesced on my view as heretical. As I wrote before I'm still buying the device. I just have an opinion on it regardless.

Retarded logic. Going 'full retard.' God bless you all for not having anyone in your immediate family/sphere with mental retardation.

kehs

Banned
So we all know the display isn't rue retina. I'm wondering if the senseg haptic will also, not have retina resolution.

There is no way it isn't called a Retina Display by Apple, and I'd be shocked if there were any real discussions within Apple about calling it anything else.
Because it's a fucking retina display!

There were various arguments about Retina even before I entered in it, yet for some reason everyone coalesced on my view as heretical. As I wrote before I'm still buying the device. I just have an opinion on it regardless.

Retarded logic. Going 'full retard.' God bless you all for not having anyone in your immediate family/sphere with mental retardation.

lol

I'm starting to like you.

mrkgoo

Mmmm. Does the iPad 1/2 already work as a kind of remote for the current Apple TV? Maybe they're trying to make it a big deal, where the iPad becomes the world's best TV remote... (which it clearly won't be, until you can feel for buttons without looking... ohh yeah there's me linking it to haptics again)

Haha. Don't worry, I'm all prepared for no haptic touch. I'm just trying to make sense of the wording.

Maybe the better way to look at it would be if they hadn't added 'and touch' line (and no finger). Then you'd be all, "OMG, they didn't mention touch, maybe they're removing the touch screen! Why would it only be something you see? OMG"

Maybe the better way to look at it would be if they hadn't added 'and touch' line (and no finger). Then you'd be all, "OMG, they didn't mention touch, maybe they're removing the touch screen! Why would it only be something you see? OMG"
That's absurd. Why would I think like that? If they'd done that, I'd simply be expecting a new iPad with a new display like everyone else.

There would be no problem to remove the mention of touch. It would make more sense. I am questioning why they felt they had to add it in, because it makes less sense.

That's absurd. Why would I think like that? If they'd done that, I'd simply be expecting a new iPad with a new display like everyone else.

There would be no problem to remove the mention of touch. It would make more sense. I am questioning why they felt they had to add it in, because it makes less sense.

because they are referring to two products.

georgc

Idk how past apple products went but when, if they allow reservations when should I be able to reserve them. And could I buy two?

Yeah, I'm sure they can't fucking sleep at night because of the guilt. What an odd thing to 'hope' for that won't benefit you in the least in any way.

You know someone has lost all perspective when he bitches and concern-trolls the fact that we're getting the combined pixels of 4 current iPads compressed into 1.

mrkgoo

My point is, you should just take it at face value. These graphics have hardly ever been as cryptically revealing as viewers have wanted them to be or examined them as. They always SEEM like they're carrying a message because 1) Internet fanboys are bored, and 2) they WANT people to speculate and build hype. Beyond that, there typically isn't much in it.

Beyond the retina, I'm not sure there is much meant to be conveyed from the image. And in my opinion, this is one of the worst Apple has done, because I hate that damn photo(shop).

artist

Banned
So it seems like this will be branded as iPad HD

ipad-hd-inventory-leak.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
UGHGHGHG. I don't think that really means anything one or another. But if somehow it is indeed branded iPad HD I'll knock over a display kiosks of iPads running newstand.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can we expect a new iphone within a year, or two? I plan on keeping my 3gs for another year. I wonder how different the iphone a year from now will be compared to the one I now have.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think the main reason they wont name it iPad hd is simple: it's tacky as hell.

Not to mention its above hd resolution and all that nonsense.

I think that the problem with calling it iPad HD is that HD doesn't tell the whole story of how high the resolution really is. A competitor could come out with a "Tablet HD" and to the average consumer it would appear as if they have the same screen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The term 3G (and now 4G) was used to sell tacky phones to clueless consumers.

I just think the two aren't even comparable. 3G and 4G are used as tacky marketing bulletpoints, and its arguable most people don't really even know what they mean. But 4 or 5 years ago 3G was something to be excited about, and nowadays 20+ megabit cellphone connections are something to be excited about. At least I think so.

I just think the HD monicker is on a completely different level. Its so prolific and has been misused in so many places that its lost all meaning. And again, lets not forget that HD is an improper term for this display anyway as its actually quite a bit higher than even FullHD.

My point is, you should just take it at face value. These graphics have hardly ever been as cryptically revealing as viewers have wanted them to be or examined them as. They always SEEM like they're carrying a message because 1) Internet fanboys are bored, and 2) they WANT people to speculate and build hype. Beyond that, there typically isn't much in it.

Beyond the retina, I'm not sure there is much meant to be conveyed from the image. And in my opinion, this is one of the worst Apple has done, because I hate that damn photo(shop).
That is certainly sensible. And I'm very sure they're deliberately hinting at haptics whether it's gonna be there or not.

The only view that is incorrect is the one missing a few PPI.
Wat.

So it seems like this will be branded as iPad HD

ipad-hd-inventory-leak.jpg

I would be seriously disappointed in Apple if they went the "HD" route. No way they go there. Griffin probably just stuck something in there as a placeholder for their new cases.

I think the main reason they wont name it iPad hd is simple: it's tacky as hell.

Not to mention its above hd resolution and all that nonsense.

While we're at it, let's just roll with:

the 4G LTE iPad HD Retina Extreme (3)

Pagusas

Elden Member
I haven't been this confident in a big feature pre-reveal from Apple in a long time. The invite photo practically reveals it.

I dont think he was saying the resolution wouldnt be doubled, he's saying no one at apple has dubbed it the retina display. They may just say "We doubled the resolution, a better than HD screen in your hands".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom